Ranged is trained by ironmen similar to the normal training methods, however an emphasis is placed on affordable and easily obtainable ammunition, particularly in the early-game. Notably, this does not recommend using a dwarf multicannon.
Early training: Quests[edit | edit source]
There are few quests that reward Ranged experience, so the 10,000 combat experience reward from Shadow of the Storm can be used to skip early Ranged levels to get to 27. In addition, completing the Death to the Dorgeshuun and Horror from the Deep quests grant a total of 16,663 Ranged experience, enough to level up from 32 Ranged from 0 experience. A few of the more attainable quests are:
- Death to the Dorgeshuun requires 23 , 23 , and The Lost Tribe, rewards 2,000 Ranged experience
- Horror from the Deep requires 35 , rewards 4,663 Ranged experience
- Heroes' Quest requires 55 , 53 , 53 , 25 , 50 , many quests, rewards 2,075 Ranged experience
After the initial levels, there are a few more viable quests that reward range experience:
- Temple of Ikov requires 40 , 42 , rewards 10,500 Ranged experience
- Zogre Flesh Eaters requires Big Chompy Bird Hunting, Jungle Potion, 30 , 4 , 8 , rewards 2,000 Ranged experience
Fastest experience[edit | edit source]
Levels 28-55: Dorgeshuun crossbow[edit | edit source]
After the completion of The Lost Tribe, the Dorgeshuun crossbow and bone bolts can be purchased from Nardok's Bone Weapons in the Dorgesh-Kaan mine. The Dorgeshuun crossbow is an ideal early-game Ranged weapon for ironman players, due to its low requirements and the affordability of bone bolts.
With the Dorgeshuun crossbow, train low-level Slayer and do Pest Control for the void knight equipment. Alternatively, kill ammonite crabs as they offer fairly fast experience and require very little attention.
Recommended weapons for ammonite crabs, in order of damage output:
- Any darts
- Rune crossbow with broad bolts
- Magic shortbow with broad arrows
- Dorgeshuun crossbow with bone bolts
Level 55+: Chinchompas[edit | edit source]
At level 55 Ranged, the best way of gaining Ranged experience is to hunt carnivorous chinchompas and use them at maniacal monkeys in Kruk's Dungeon on Ape Atoll after stacking them. They can be caught in the Feldip Hunter area, but it can potentially be crowded, though the experience per hour using them is enough to still use this method. After 60 Ranged, it is strongly recommended to unlock the Gwenith Hunter area, requiring completion of Song of the Elves, or at 70 Ranged, the red chinchompa hunting ground, requiring completion of the hard Western Provinces Diary.
Alternatively, hunt black chinchompas to use for better experience rates, but without high stats and good defensive equipment, player killers are much more of a threat. Otherwise keep training on ammonite crabs, however it is a lot slower.
Level 75+: Bosses and monsters[edit | edit source]
With a high Ranged level, the remaining experience can be earned while killing bosses, demi-bosses, or monsters with valuable drops such as lizardman shamans, demonic gorillas, Zulrah, and Alchemical Hydra.
Slayer bosses[edit | edit source]
Ranging Slayer tasks is generally not recommended at higher levels, except when they are particularly low Ranged defence and their other defensive stats are higher. The toxic blowpipe is the only viable option for general Slayer training in terms of damage output, but it is faster overall to use melee than a toxic blowpipe when including killing Zulrah for the Zulrah's scales.
Other methods[edit | edit source]
Levels 40-70: Cannonballs[edit | edit source]
It is good experience, especially at low levels, but is also expensive. Its damage output is high compared to a low Ranged level. It takes about 35,000 cannonballs to level up from level 40 to 70 Ranged while attacking with melee or Magic.
Level 55-70: Crabs[edit | edit source]
Level 55+: Nightmare Zone[edit | edit source]
Nightmare Zone can be used after 55 Ranged to AFK train on low defence bosses while collecting some points for imbues on equipment later on.
Obtaining Ranged equipment[edit | edit source]
Weapons[edit | edit source]
- Low-level thrown weapons, such as iron knives or iron darts, are a good source of early Ranged experience when used on low-defence monsters. These weapons can be made from bars obtained while training Smithing.
- The Dorgeshuun crossbow, or bone crossbow, offers good accuracy and damage considering its low requirements to obtain and use while bone bolts are very affordable.
- The magic shortbow is available from spiritual rangers ( 63 ) and from hard clue scrolls. For ammunition, rune arrows can be purchased from the Ranging Guild or obtained over time from various monster drops. Broad arrows are also a good alternative after unlocking the ability to fletch broad ammunition from a Slayer master. Furthermore, the bow can be upgraded to a magic shortbow (i) with a magic shortbow scroll obtained from Last Man Standing or obtained as a drop from monsters in the Wilderness Slayer Cave.
- The rune crossbow paired with broad bolts is a staple weapon for ironmen, due to its high accuracy, high damage, availability of ammunition, and its ability to be used with a shield. The crossbow can also fire ruby bolts (e) and diamond bolts (e), making it suitable for killing certain high-level boss monsters. Crafting the crossbow from scratch requires 91 Smithing, so two methods are commonly used to obtain the crossbow early:
- The complete crossbow is dropped by the Crazy Archaeologist, however because he is in the Wilderness, hardcore ironmen are advised to be extremely cautious.
- Runite limbs are dropped by several monsters, notably iron dragons, steel dragons, and the Deranged Archaeologist. The unstrung crossbow is also dropped by Skeletal Wyverns ( 72 ). With either of these drops, only 69 Fletching (which can be boosted) is required to finish the crossbow with a yew stock and/or crossbow string.
- Karil's crossbow offers higher damage per second than a rune crossbow with broad bolts. However, it must be obtained as a rare drop from Barrows. Additionally, it can only fire bolt racks, which are obtained from a Barrows reward potential higher than 87.0% or they can be purchased from Ak-Haranu.
- Endgame ranged weapons include the toxic blowpipe from Zulrah, the dragon hunter crossbow and twisted bow from Chambers of Xeric, the Armadyl crossbow from Commander Zilyana, the bow of Faerdhinen made from an enhanced crystal weapon seed from the The Gauntlet, and the Zaryte crossbow from Nex.
Armour[edit | edit source]
- Complete Animal Magnetism to unlock Ava's attractor, which significantly extends the lifespan of most ammunition and can be upgraded later to Ava's accumulator and Ava's assembler.
- Void Knight equipment is excellent against low-defence monsters due to its damage-boosting set effect. Depending on the situation, a salve amulet (e), black mask (i), or slayer helm (i) may offer better damage. After completing the hard Western Provinces Diary, upgrade it to Elite Void Knight equipment.
- Green dragonhide armour can be purchased from various shops, though Dragon Slayer I must be completed to equip a Green d'hide body.
- Blue and red dragonhide armour sets offer incremental upgrades from green. The most reliable way to obtain them is to kill their respective dragons and craft it from the dragonhide drops.
- Black dragonhide armour offers the same Ranged attack bonus as Karil's armour, albeit with a lower Magic defence bonus. Though 84 Crafting, which can be boosted, is required to craft the black d'hide body, the body and chaps can also be obtained somewhat reliably from hard clue scrolls. Blessed dragonhide armour is also available from hard clue scrolls and it offers better defensive stats than black dragonhide, as well as Prayer bonus.
- Barrows gloves offer superior bonuses compared to all vambraces except Zaryte vambraces from Nex.
- Complete medium clue scrolls to get ranger boots. Later, kill Cerberus for a pegasian crystal to upgrade them to pegasian boots.
- Dagannoth Supreme drops the archers ring, which can then be imbued through Nightmare Zone.
- For amulets, the amulet of power is available early from the H.A.M. storeroom. After training Crafting, the amulet of glory and amulet of fury offer superior ranged bonuses. The best ranged neck-slot item is the necklace of anguish, made from a zenyte shard obtained from demonic gorillas.
- Endgame ranged armour includes Armadyl armour from Kree'arra and masori armour from the Tombs of Amascut.
|Ultimate Ironman Guides|