Ranged[edit | edit source]
AFK combat training on your phone when you’re otherwise not playing (0 time) can be greatly beneficial to Slayer.
1-27: Shadow of the storm
27-45 - Death to the dorgeshuun, Horror from the deep, Temple of ikov, early slayer+afk crabs with bone crossbow
45+: Throwing chins in the MM2 tunnels, you can throw some at dust devils or jellies if you can't access the tunnels yet
Alternatively 40-70: You can also make cannonballs during early smithing and use them for ranged training. This is decent in some situations since cannon is high dps compared to your low ranged level. It'd take roughly 35k cannonballs to get from 40-70 ranged.
55-99: Chinning / blowpipe slayer / AFK NMZ
Mostly trained as normal. Completing Shadow of the Storm (putting the experience reward on Ranged), Death to the Dorgeshuun and Horror from the Deep will grant a total of 16,662.5 experience, elevating a level 1 Ranged to 32 without doing any actual training.
Train low-level Slayer and do Pest Control (for Void Knight equipment) with the Dorgeshuun crossbow for early experience. Alternatively, players can kill Ammonite Crabs as they offer fairly fast experience and they are very afkable.
Recommended weapons for Ammonite Crabs, in order of damage output:
- Any darts
- Rune crossbow with broad bolts
- Magic shortbow with broad arrows
- Dorgeshuun crossbow with bone bolts
From level 55 onwards, the best way of gaining Ranged experience is to hunt carnivorous chinchompas and throw them at maniacal monkeys in Kruk's Dungeon on Ape Atoll. It is strongly recommended to unlock the Gwenith Hunter area (requires completion of Song of the Elves) or the red chinchompa hunting ground (requires completion of the hard tasks in the Western Provinces Diary) as soon as possible, as hunting carnivorous chinchompas in other areas is a lot slower and they are usually crowded. Players can also hunt black chinchompas for faster experience, however without high stats and good defensive equipment players are very vulnerable to player killers. Alternatively, players can keep training on Ammonite Crabs, but this is a lot slower than hunting and throwing chinchompas.
Ranging Slayer tasks is generally not recommended at higher levels, except when killing certain bosses and demi-bosses. Toxic blowpipe is the only viable option for general Slayer training in terms of damage output, but it is faster overall to use Melee than use a toxic blowpipe and kill Zulrah for the Zulrah's scales.
Obtaining Ranged equipment[edit | edit source]
- Low-level thrown weapons, such as iron knives or iron darts, are a good source of early Ranged experience when used on low-defence monsters. These weapons can be made from bars obtained while training Smithing.
- The Dorgeshuun crossbow, or bone crossbow, offers good accuracy and damage considering its low requirements to obtain and use. Furthermore, bone bolts are very affordable.
- The magic shortbow is available from spiritual rangers (63 Slayer) and from hard clue scrolls. For ammunition, rune arrows can be purchased from the Ranging Guild or obtained over time from various monster drops. Broad arrows are also a good alternative, after unlocking the ability to fletch broad ammunition. Furthermore, the bow can be upgraded to a magic shortbow (i) with a magic shortbow scroll obtained from the Last Man Standing minigame.
- The rune crossbow paired with broad bolts is a staple weapon for ironmen, due to its high accuracy, high damage, the availability of its ammunition, and its ability to be used with a shield. The crossbow can also fire ruby bolts (e) and diamond bolts (e), making it suitable for killing certain high-level boss monsters. Crafting the crossbow from scratch requires 91 Smithing, so two methods are commonly used to obtain the crossbow early:
- The complete crossbow is dropped by the crazy archaeologist. Because this monster is in the Wilderness, hardcore ironmen are advised to be extremely cautious if pursuing this method.
- Runite limbs are dropped by several monsters, notably iron dragons and steel dragons. The unstrung crossbow is also dropped by Skeletal Wyverns (72 Slayer). Either way, only 69 Fletching (boostable) is required to finish the crossbow with a yew stock and/or crossbow string.
- Karil's crossbow offers higher damage per second than a rune crossbow with broad bolts. However, it must be obtained as a rare drop from the Barrows minigame. Additionally, it can only fire bolt racks, which are obtained randomly from Barrows or purchased from Ak-Haranu.
- Endgame ranged weapons include the toxic blowpipe from Zulrah, the dragon hunter crossbow and twisted bow from Chambers of Xeric, and the Armadyl crossbow from Commander Zilyana.
- Complete Animal Magnetism to unlock Ava's attractor, significantly extending the lifespan of most ammunition. Later, upgrade it to Ava's accumulator and Ava's assembler.
- Void Knight equipment is excellent against low-defence monsters, due to its damage-boosting set effect. Depending on the situation, a salve amulet (e), black mask (i), or slayer helm (i) may offer better damage. After completing the hard Western Provinces diary, upgrade it to elite Void Knight equipment.
- Green dragonhide armour can be purchased from various shops. Note that completion of Dragon Slayer I is required to use the green d'hide body.
- Blue and red dragonhide armour sets offer incremental upgrades from green. The most reliable way to obtain them is to kill their dragons and craft the dragonhide drops.
- Black dragonhide armour offers the same Ranged attack bonus as Karil's armour, albeit with a lower Magic defence bonus. Though 84 Crafting (boostable) is required to craft the black d'hide body, the body and chaps can also be obtained somewhat reliably from hard clue scrolls. Blessed dragonhide armour, also available from hard clue scrolls, offers the same bonuses as black dragonhide, as well as a prayer bonus. For all tiers of dragonhide armour, Barrows gloves offer superior bonuses compared to the vambraces.
- Complete medium clue scrolls to get ranger boots. Later, kill Cerberus for a pegasian crystal to upgrade them to pegasian boots.
- Dagannoth Supreme drops the archers ring, which can then be upgraded through the Nightmare Zone minigame.
- For amulets, the amulet of power is available early from the H.A.M. storeroom. After training Crafting, the amulet of glory and amulet of fury offer superior ranged bonuses. The best ranged neck-slot item is the necklace of anguish, made from a zenyte shard obtained from demonic gorillas.
- Endgame ranged armour includes Armadyl armour from Kree'arra.