Ironman guide/Efficient herb run guide
Please note – this is a guide for those looking to make their farming runs more efficient – not a guide for someone who has never done any farming before.
Recommended gear[edit | edit source]
- Magic secateurs
- Herb seeds (5+), Limpwurt seeds (4), Watermelon seeds (12)
- Rake, spade, seed dibber (stored on tool leprechaun)
- Explorer's ring 2+
- Ardougne cloak 2+
- House located in Hosidius (or Xeric's talisman)
- Full graceful or farmer's outfit (optional)
- Teleport runes (air, earth, law, fire if using Trollheim Teleport)
- Amulet of bounty to save some allotment seeds.
Advanced[edit | edit source]
- Dust battlestaff / Rune pouch to save inventory space.
- Icy basalt if you have completed Making Friends With My Arm.
- Bottomless bucket.
- Gricoller's can for watering Limpwurts.
Preparation[edit | edit source]
Filling the tool leprechaun's storage with buckets. This makes doing your compost much easier if you already have a bunch stocked. This is easily done with noted buckets.
Volcanic ash is very beneficial; mine some at Fossil Island. This requires the Bone Voyage quest, and ash can be found at the central volcano. This is stackable, so bring your best pickaxe, and a charged glory if you have one for extra gems
Seeds[edit | edit source]
Seeds can be acquired largely through master farmers, Slayer and some bosses. Seed box from Tithe Farm is convenient for seed gathering. When thieving master farmers, make sure to wear full rogues set for double seeds. Ardougne cloak 2 bonus does not apply here, so having the Ardougne hard diaries done is beneficial if you do not have 99 thieving.
Herb seeds below harralander (guam, marrentill and tarromin) are rarely worth farming.
Overview[edit | edit source]
For this strategy we will be planting herbs in all available patches, limpwurt plants in all available patches except Catherby where a nasturtium will be used to protect watermelons. Each herb run will involve two compost bins with watermelons planted in the allotment spaces (Hosidius because it is disease free, second compost location is down to preference). 2 Compost bins are done to provide a sustainable source of compost, and some extra for all your tree/seaweed runs.
As for compost used for each type of crop:
- All herbs and limpwurts are treated with ultracompost
- Watermelons are not treated at all (unless you want maximum xp/yield and have some compost stockpiled)
Limpwurts are farmed for their uses in herblore – feel free to skip altogether if you have stacks from bossing. There is little difference between super and ultracompost for limpwurts, therefore supercompost is advisable. However because you are doing two ultracompost bins to cover herbs, seaweed and tree runs, it is not necessary to make supercompost just for limpwurts, you can use the excess ultracompost for limpwurts.
Once you have a few hundred ultracompost stocked, you can adjust when you do your compost bins as necessary. Unlocking the upgraded Fertile Soil spell can also be useful.
Routine[edit | edit source]
All compost should be taken from the tool leprechaun as needed.
An example herb run from start to finish is as follows:
Hosidius patch[edit | edit source]
- Teleport = Xeric's talisman > PoH teleport and run
- Use volcanic ash on compost bin and empty the bin – store in leprechaun
- Harvest watermelons and fill/close the compost bin, note the leftovers
- Replant watermelons using no compost unless going for maximum possible xp
- Harvest limpwurt, note, replant (you do not need to compost this patch since compost does not affect limpwurt yield)
- Harvest herb patch, replant using ultracompost
- Note any remaining drops, take 15 empty buckets for the next area
Catherby patch[edit | edit source]
- Teleport: Camelot teleport
- Use volcanic ash and empty compost bin, store – only do this bin if you need compost for tree runs
- Harvest watermelons, refill compost bin
- Do herbs (no limp as nasturtium should be planted in this patch to protect watermelons)
- Note remaining drops and take out 2-4 ultracompost depending on inventory space
You can do the last patches in any order you like, simply harvest herbs and limps and replant.
Trollheim[edit | edit source]
Teleport = Upgraded Trollheim portal in PoH > Stony basalt > Trollheim teleport If using the trollheim teleport, 73 agility and completion of the hard fremennik diary is advised for the shortcut to the patch
After completion of the quest making friend's with my arm, your poh trollheim teleport can be upgraded using the relevant salts to give a teleport directly to the herb patch (on the roof requires 73 agility and hard fremennik diary)
Ardougne[edit | edit source]
Teleport = Ardougne cloak
Morytania[edit | edit source]
Teleport = Ectophial
fairy code = alq
Falador[edit | edit source]
Teleport = Explorer's ring
Remember to store your tools and buckets once done.
The benefit of using this method is eliminating the need to do compost runs which can be tedious – this way a little bit of compost making is incorporated into each run with the added bonus of the experience from watermelons.