|Released||7 September 2004 (Update)|
The Kalphite Lair is located north-east of the Bedabin Camp, in the Kharidian Desert. Players will need a rope to enter the lair and another to enter the area containing the Kalphite Queen. As the name suggests, only Kalphites live in this area.
Players will need to bring a rope every time they visit the lair, and another rope should they wish to reach the Queen's lair; players who have completed the Hard Desert Diary need not do so after attaching the ropes one last time post-diary completion. There is also a crevice shortcut requiring 86 Agility and the Elite Desert Diary to use; it is a two-way shortcut and is helpful for players wishing to kill the Kalphite Queen as it will drop them off in the room leading to her chamber. Entering the Kalphite Lair, as well as collecting 5 potato cacti while inside, are required for the Easy Desert Diary.
Note: You do not need waterskins while inside the lair's entrance.
Getting there[edit | edit source]
- Fairy ring - A quick way to access the lair is using the nearby fairy ring with the code BIQ. Then, run north-west towards the lair.
- Shantay Pass - An alternative is entering the desert via Shantay Pass, which is located south of Al Kharid and requires a Shantay pass, and heading westward to the lair.
- Dorgesh-Kaan South Dungeon - Alternatively, those with access to Dorgesh-Kaan will be able to find a blocked tunnel in the Dorgesh-Kaan South Dungeon that leads through to the lair, emerging near some Kalphite Workers. A light source is necessary to avoid damage from swarming insects.
First (upper) level[edit | edit source]
- The player needs a rope to access the Kalphite Lair initially and a second rope to reach the Queen. The main entrance requires one rope each visit unless the Hard Desert Diary is done.
- There is a tunnel to the Dorgesh-Kaan South Dungeon. If players do not use a light source in this tunnel, they will be repeatedly stung by insects in the darkness.
- There is a hole to the middle level (the Queen's Lair), which requires the second rope, with the total of two ropes used on this dungeon.
Additional features[edit | edit source]
- The upper level has many Kalphite Workers and some Kalphite Soldiers, which are popular and great spots for players with a Dwarf multicannon on a Slayer task.
- Two Kalphite Guardians watch the exit to the second level.
- Three potato cacti spawn in the chamber with the Kalphite Soldiers on this level.
- Kalphite larva, which can only be attacked by cats, roam the level.
Second (lower) level[edit | edit source]
The second level has one exit: a rope climb at the east to the first level, which is how players must enter initially.
Items recommended[edit | edit source]
- Waterskins, a knife, and desert robes (only if travelling through the desert to get to the lair)
- Up to two ropes - One is needed to initially enter if not from Dorgesh-Kaan South Dungeon, another for Kalphite Queen.
- Players who have completed the Hard Desert Diary will not need to bring ropes for subsequent trips. (However, both ropes need to be placed the first time you enter the lair after completing the Diary.)
- A light source if entering or exiting via the Dorgesh-Kaan South Dungeon.
- Good Ranged, Melee or Magic armour
- Anti-poison potions (or a Prayer book and a Holy symbol)
- Keris dagger if you have completed the Contact! quest or other weapon effective against Kalphites.
Monsters[edit | edit source]
- Kalphite Worker (level 28)
- Kalphite Soldier (level 85)
- Kalphite Guardian (level 141)
- Kalphite Queen (level 333)
Personalities[edit | edit source]
Music[edit | edit source]
Changes[edit | edit source]
|25 November 2020
(update | poll)
The permanent ropes at both the Kalphite Lair and the Kalphite Queen tunnel entrances will now appear with the Hard Diary
|2 July 2015
The agility shortcut unlocked as a reward from the elite Desert achievement diary now takes you from the very start of the Kalphite Lair directly to the entrance of the Kalphite Queen boss room.
|5 March 2015
(update | poll)
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Some players use dwarf multicannons in the lair as the workers and soldiers are good prey if you have a lower Combat level and are hunting kalphites for Slayer. The chamber on the upper level with the potato cactus spawns is a popular cannon spot, since the most kalphite soldiers can be found there. The cannon will be destroyed by the queen if used in her vicinity, however.
- Kalphite workers often drop waterskins, so you can easily get a new water supply if you ran low when going to the lair.