|Released||7 September 2004 (Update)|
|Examine||I don't think insect repellent will work...|
|Attack style||Stab, Ranged, Magic|
|Slayer XP||535.5 xp|
|Not immune to poison|
The Kalphite Queen (Kalphiscarabeinae pasha), also called the KQ, is the strongest of the Kalphites. The Kalphite Queen, along with dust devils and smoke devils, is notable for dropping the Dragon chainbody. The Kalphite Queen can inflict large amounts of damage with her Ranged and Magic attacks as they always result in a successful hit. It is recommended for players to bring an emergency teleport such as an Ectophial or teleport tablet, or only bring items into the lair for which they are willing to pay the gravestone fees.
Location[edit | edit source]
The Kalphite Queen resides in her lair south-west of the Shantay Pass. If you are lucky and fast, you can run from the Shantay Pass to the Kalphite Lair fast enough so that the desert heat does not affect you. Alternatively, the fairy ring BIQ can take you to right outside the Lair entrance. You will require a rope to enter the dungeon, which will be used in the process. A second rope is required to reach the lower level where Kalphite Queen resides. Completion of Desert Diary removes the need to bring ropes each time.
Fight overview[edit | edit source]
The Kalphite Queen has a combat level of 333. Each form has 255 Hitpoints, and her Ranged and Magic attacks have 100% accuracy. She may also use a decently accurate melee attack. The Queen has two forms: in the first, she is an immense scarab beetle, and in her second, a giant wasp. She switches forms only after the first has been fully defeated.
As a beetle, she is extremely resistant to Magic and Ranged attacks, as indicated by her overhead prayers. As a wasp, she is resistant to Melee attacks. Therefore, players should be prepared to use both Melee and Ranged or Magic.
Each of her attacks have a max hit of 31. Her Ranged attacks consists of her shooting barbed spines from her abdomen. Her Ranged attacks will drain 1 prayer point (which may be reduced by spectral spirit shield). If there are players close to the person being targeted with this attack they will also be hit, to avoid this players can stand on opposite sides of the Kalphite Queen. Her Magic attack bounces from player to player. Her Melee attack can also hit high, but is much less accurate than the Magic and Ranged attacks.
Drops[edit | edit source]
The player will always receive two items from the Kalphite Queen's drop table: one from the regular drop table, and one from the Consumables table.
Drop rates estimated based on 27,711 kills from the Drop Rate Project, unless otherwise cited.
The average Kalphite Queen kill is worth 58,860.
Consumables[edit | edit source]
|Super combat potion(2)||1||1/9||5,530||54|
Weapons and armour[edit | edit source]
|Red d'hide body||1||4/128||5,965||6,738|
|Dragon 2h sword||1||1/256||132,574||132,000|
Runes and ammunition[edit | edit source]
Herbs[edit | edit source]
|Grimy toadflax||25 (noted)||2/128||56,875||275|
|Grimy ranarr weed||25 (noted)||2/128||164,325||450|
|Grimy snapdragon||25 (noted)||2/128||203,775||300|
|Grimy torstol||25 (noted)||2/128||219,450||375|
Seeds[edit | edit source]
|Papaya tree seed||2||3/128||6,590||138|
|Palm tree seed||2||3/128||76,418||304|
Resources[edit | edit source]
|Runite bar||3 (noted)||5/128||37,293||9,000|
|Bucket of sand||100 (noted)||4/128||3,800||100|
|Gold ore||250 (noted)||4/128||37,500||22,500|
|Magic logs||60 (noted)||4/128||58,380||11,520|
|Uncut emerald||25 (noted)||3/128||16,325||750|
|Uncut ruby||25 (noted)||3/128||31,875||1,500|
|Uncut diamond||25 (noted)||3/128||64,200||3,000|
Other[edit | edit source]
|Wine of zamorak||60 (noted)||10/128||77,160||0|
|Potato cactus||100 (noted)||8/128||74,800||0|
|Weapon poison(++)||5 (noted)||5/128||21,590||1,295|
|Cactus spine||10 (noted)||3/128||19,450||0|
Rare drop table[edit | edit source]
There is a 1/128 chance of rolling the rare drop table.
|Nothing||N/A||1/705.48; Never[d 1]||N/A||N/A|
|Loop half of key||1||1/812.85; 1/806.79[d 2]||10,024||60|
|Tooth half of key||1||1/812.85; 1/806.79[d 2]||10,002||60|
|Uncut sapphire||1||1/3,276.8; 1/1,664[d 2]||399||15|
|Rune 2h sword||1||1/5,461.33||37,813||38,400|
|Uncut emerald||1||1/6,553.6; 1/3,328[d 2]||653||30|
|Rune sq shield||1||1/8,192||22,544||23,040|
|Silver ore||100 (noted)||1/8,192||4,900||4,500|
|Uncut ruby||1||1/13,107.2; 1/6,656[d 2]||1,275||60|
|Dragon med helm||1||1/16,384||58,863||60,000|
|Rune spear||1||1/17,296.1; 1/2,006.83[d 2]||11,801||12,480|
|Shield left half||1||1/34,592.2; 1/4,013.67[d 2]||65,129||66,000|
|Chaos talisman||1||1/34,952.53; 1/17,749.33[d 2]||598||2|
|Dragon spear||1||1/46,122.93; 1/5,351.56[d 2]||37,545||37,440|
|Uncut diamond||1||1/52,428.8; 1/26,624[d 2]||2,568||120|
|Rune javelin||5||1/104,857.6; 1/53,248[d 2]||860||1,200|
Tertiary[edit | edit source]
|Kq head (tattered)||1||Always[d 1]||Not sold||30,000|
|Ensouled kalphite head||1||1/20||2,972||259|
|Brimstone key||1||1/53[d 2]||Not sold||N/A|
|Clue scroll (elite)||1||1/100||Not sold||12|
|Kq head||1||1/128||Not sold||30,000|
|Jar of sand||1||1/2,000||786,287||0|
|Kalphite princess||1||1/3,000||Not sold||N/A|
Changes[edit | edit source]
|27 February 2020
|Players can no longer use mithril seeds in the Kalphite Queen's chamber.|
|16 July 2015
|The peek option now works when a rope is attached to the tunnel entrance.|
|2 July 2015
|Slayer XP for killing the boss now is awarded to the player who deals the most damage to both forms.|
|25 June 2015
(update | poll)
|A "peek" option was added to the entrance. Drops are now assigned to the player who has done the most damage to both forms, rather than just the second.|
|18 December 2014
(update | poll)
|The drop table was buffed and reworked: the Kalphite Queen now always has two drops with the first being food or a potion and the second being a standard drop. The average value of each kill was increased to be roughly 50% higher (based on prices at the time of the update). Most of the drops remained unchanged with some of the lower value loots replaced with new, more valuable drops. Elite clue scrolls were made twice as common.|
|17 July 2014
(update | poll)
|Players can now receive a pet version of this boss after defeating it.|
|26 June 2014
(update | poll)
|The Kalphite Queen now offers a much more rewarding range of drops.|
|6 February 2014
(update | poll)
|All nearby players are now notified of the dropped loot.|
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The Kalphite Queen was previously the only known entity able to use multiple simultaneous overhead protection prayers.
- The Kalphite Queen's original drops were much worse, similar to the King Black Dragon's before their drop tables were updated due to player feedback.
- Prior to a poll, only the second form counted towards the damage needed to obtain drops after her death. This upset players as crashers would come when a player was on the second form, taking the drop from them with minimal effort. This has since been changed, and now players who did the most damage to both forms will obtain the drop.
- If the second form stays alive for a long period of time, it will revert back to the first form and retain the second form's remaining Hitpoints. When the first form is killed again, a second form with full health will emerge, akin to Vet'ion.
- If stat-draining special attacks are used on her first form, the stat reductions will carry over to the second form.
References[edit | edit source]
- Jagex. Mod Ash's Twitter account. 3 June 2015. (Archived from the original on 26 May 2020.)
- Envision. "Drop Rates V2." Old School RuneScape Forums.
- Jagex. Mod Ash's Twitter account. 4 March 2016. (Archived from the original on 26 May 2020.) Mod Ash: "10/128 for the wine, 8/128 for a herb."
- Jagex. Mod JohnC's Twitter account. 8 September 2014. (Archived from the original on 8 September 2014.) Mod JohnC: "Batch 2 of the Boss Pet Drop Rates! How (un)lucky have you been? Kraken, Thermy & Penance queen next week!"
- Jagex. Mod Ash's Twitter account. 8 May 2017. (Archived from the original on 26 May 2020.) Mod Ash: "Yes [when the defence is lowered on KQ's first form it stays lowered on the second form], same with Vet'ion."
|King Black Dragon||Strongest monster in RuneScape||TzTok-Jad|