|Released||7 September 2004 (Update)|
|Examine||I don't think insect repellent will work...|
|Attack style||Stab, Ranged, Magic|
|Not immune to poison|
The Kalphite Queen (Kalphiscarabeinae pasha), also called the KQ, is the strongest of the Kalphites. The Kalphite Queen, along with dust devils and smoke devils, is notable for dropping the Dragon chainbody armour.
The Kalphite Queen is one of the toughest monsters in RuneScape. She can inflict large amounts of damage with her Ranged and Magic attacks as they always result in a successful hit. It is recommended for players to bring an emergency teleport such as an Ectophial or teleport tablet, or only bring items into the lair they are willing to lose.
Location[edit | edit source]
The Kalphite Queen resides in her lair south-west of the Shantay Pass. If you are lucky and fast, you can run from the Shantay Pass to the Kalphite Lair fast enough so that the desert heat does not affect you. Alternatively, the fairy ring BIQ can take you to right outside the Lair entrance. You will require a rope to enter the dungeon, which will be used in the process. A second rope is required to reach the lower level where Kalphite Queen resides. Completion of Desert Diary removes the need to bring ropes each time.
Fight overview[edit | edit source]
The Kalphite Queen has a combat level of 333. Each form has 255 Hitpoints, and her Ranged and Magic attacks have 100% accuracy. She may also use a decently accurate melee attack. The Queen has two forms: in the first, she is an immense scarab beetle, and in her second, a giant wasp. She switches forms only after the first has been fully defeated.
As a beetle, she is extremely resistant to Magic and Ranged attacks, as indicated by her overhead prayers. As a wasp, she is resistant to Melee attacks. Therefore, players should be prepared to use both Melee and Ranged or Magic.
Each of her attacks have a max hit of 31. Her Ranged attacks consists of her shooting barbed spines from her abdomen. Her Ranged attacks will drain 1 prayer point. When wearing a spectral spirit shield, there is a 50% chance a Range attack will drain a prayer point. If there are players close to the person being targeted with this attack they will also be hit, to avoid this players can stand on opposite sides of the Kalphite Queen. Her Magic attack bounces from player to player. Her Melee attack can also hit high, but is much less accurate than the Magic and Ranged attacks.
Drops[edit | edit source]
The player will always receive two items from the Kalphite Queen's drop table: One from the regular drop table, and one from the Consumables table.
Drop rates estimated based on 27,711 kills from the Old School RuneScape Wiki drop log project, unless otherwise cited.
The average Kalphite Queen kill is worth 66,685.
Consumables[edit | edit source]
|Super combat potion(2)||1||1/9||4,902||54|
Weapons and armour[edit | edit source]
|Red d'hide body||1||4/128||6,001||6,738|
|Dragon 2h sword||1||1/256||132,903||132,000|
Runes and ammunition[edit | edit source]
Herbs[edit | edit source]
|Grimy toadflax||25 (noted)||2/128||47,450||275|
|Grimy ranarr weed||25 (noted)||2/128||291,700||450|
|Grimy snapdragon||25 (noted)||2/128||340,950||300|
|Grimy torstol||25 (noted)||2/128||205,050||375|
Seeds[edit | edit source]
|Papaya tree seed||2||3/128||5,378||138|
|Palm tree seed||2||3/128||76,540||304|
Resources[edit | edit source]
|Runite bar||3 (noted)||5/128||37,392||9,000|
|Bucket of sand||100 (noted)||4/128||4,600||100|
|Gold ore||250 (noted)||4/128||46,500||22,500|
|Magic logs||60 (noted)||4/128||62,820||11,520|
|Uncut emerald||25 (noted)||3/128||18,650||750|
|Uncut ruby||25 (noted)||3/128||35,950||1,500|
|Uncut diamond||25 (noted)||3/128||73,675||3,000|
Other[edit | edit source]
|Wine of zamorak||60 (noted)||10/128||82,500||0|
|Potato cactus||100 (noted)||8/128||79,600||0|
|Weapon poison(++)||5 (noted)||5/128||21,665||1,295|
|Cactus spine||10 (noted)||3/128||17,580||0|
Rare drop table[edit | edit source]
There is a 1/128 chance of rolling the rare drop table.
|Loop half of key||1||1/812.85; 1/806.79[d 1]||9,907||60|
|Tooth half of key||1||1/812.85; 1/806.79[d 1]||9,930||60|
|Uncut sapphire||1||1/3,276.8; 1/1,664[d 1]||473||15|
|Rune 2h sword||1||1/5,461.33||37,861||38,400|
|Uncut emerald||1||1/6,553.6; 1/3,328[d 1]||746||30|
|Rune sq shield||1||1/8,192||22,483||23,040|
|Silver ore||100 (noted)||1/8,192||5,700||4,500|
|Uncut ruby||1||1/13,107.2; 1/6,656[d 1]||1,438||60|
|Dragon med helm||1||1/16,384||58,755||60,000|
|Rune spear||1||1/17,296.1; 1/2,006.83[d 1]||11,944||12,480|
|Shield left half||1||1/34,592.2; 1/4,013.67[d 1]||65,426||66,000|
|Unknown talisman||1||1/34,952.53[d 1]||Not sold||N/A|
|Dragon spear||1||1/46,122.93; 1/5,351.56[d 1]||37,592||37,440|
|Uncut diamond||1||1/52,428.8; 1/26,624[d 1]||2,947||120|
|Rune javelin||5||1/104,857.6; 1/53,248[d 1]||710||1,200|
- The drop rate of this item is increased when wearing a Ring of wealth.
Tertiary[edit | edit source]
|Kq head (tattered)||1||Always[d 1]||Not sold||30,000|
|Ensouled kalphite head||1||1/20||3,223||259|
|Brimstone key||1||1/53.4[d 2]||Not sold||N/A|
|Clue scroll (elite)||1||1/100||Not sold||12|
|Kq head||1||1/128||Not sold||30,000|
|Jar of sand||1||1/2,000||984,120||0|
|Kalphite princess||1||1/3,000||Not sold||N/A|
Changes[edit | edit source]
|27 February 2020
|Players can no longer use mithril seeds in the Kalphite Queen's chamber.|
|16 July 2015
|You can now look inside the Kalphite Queen's chamber when a rope is attached to the tunnel entrance.|
|2 July 2015
|The Kalphite Queen and Vet’ion now award Slayer XP to the player who did most damage to both forms, not just their second form. As usual with Slayer, half of the XP is awarded to the player who dealt most damage, and the other half goes to the player who dealt the final blow.|
|25 June 2015
(update | poll)
|-Added a 'peek' option to the entrance of this boss.
-Drops from the Kalphite Queen and Vet’ion are now assigned to the hero who has done the most damage to both forms, rather than just the second.
|18 December 2014
(update | poll)
|17 July 2014
(update | poll)
|Players can now receive a pet version of this boss after defeating it.|
|26 June 2014
(update | poll)
|The Kalphite Queen now offers a much more rewarding range of drops.|
|6 February 2014
(update | poll)
|The Kalphite Queen, King Black Dragon, the Chaos Elemental and the Dagannoth Kings now notify all nearby players of the loot they're dropping.|
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The Kalphite Queen was previously the only known entity able to use simultaneous overhead protection prayers.
- The Kalphite Queen's original drops were much worse, similar to the King Black Dragon's before their drop tables were updated due to player feedback.
- Prior to a poll, only the second form counted towards the damage needed to obtain drops after her death. This upset players as crashers would come when a player was on the second form, taking the drop from them with minimal effort. This has since been changed, and now players who did the most damage to both forms will obtain the drop.
- If the second form stays alive for a long period of time, it will revert back to the first form and retain the second form's remaining Hitpoints. When the first form is killed again, a second form with full health will emerge, akin to Vet'ion.
- If stat-draining special attacks are used on her first form, the stat reductions will carry over to the second form.
References[edit | edit source]
- Jagex. Mod Ash's Twitter account. 3 June 2015.
- Envision. "Drop Rates V2." RuneScape Forums.
- Jagex. Mod Ash's Twitter account. 4 March 2016. Mod Ash: "10/128 for the wine, 8/128 for a herb."
- Jagex. Mod Kieren's Twitter account. 18 Jan 2016. Mod Kieren: "Fair few people asking about ensouled head drop rates... Here you go! "
- Jagex. Mod JohnC's Twitter account. 8 Sep 2014. (Archived from the original on 8 Sep 2014.) Mod JohnC: "Batch 2 of the Boss Pet Drop Rates! How (un)lucky have you been? Kraken, Thermy & Penance queen next week!"
- Jagex. Mod Ash's Twitter account. 8 May 2017. Mod Ash: "Yes [when the defence is lowered on KQ's first form it stays lowered on the second form], same with Vet'ion."
|King Black Dragon||Strongest monster in RuneScape||TzTok-Jad|
|† denotes that a person is deceased.|