|No. of Banks||4|
|No. of Altars||2|
|Inhabitants/Race||Human, lizardmen, Tasakaal, Kahlith|
The Kebos Lowlands are a region located on the continent of Zeah, just west of Great Kourend. It is one of the three regions that make up the continent, the other two being the Kingdom of Great Kourend and Varlamore.
The region consists of a rocky mountain known as Mount Quidamortem to the south, and a sulphurous volcano known as Mount Karuulm to the north. Between these two mountains lies a large piece of land with very fertile soil and the Kebos Swamp. The fertile land and the swamp are separated by the River Molch, which runs between the two.
Players can travel to the Kebos Lowlands by walking to the Battlefront north-west of Shayzien or by traversing the rocky terrain south-west of Lovakengj. Players can also reach the region by walking past the Shayziens' Wall, but this is not recommended unless they are travelling to Mount Quidamortem, as aggressive lizardmen are found directly west of the Wall; the aforementioned methods are safer for players seeking to reach the northern part of the region.
- 1 History
- 2 Transportation
- 3 Quests
- 4 Areas of interest
- 5 Trivia
- 6 Gallery
- 7 References
History[edit | edit source]
The first arrival[edit | edit source]
Sometime during the God Wars, before the arrival of refugees that would go on to found Arceuus, Lovakengj and Piscarilius, the continent of Zeah was uninhabited and untouched by the war, until the arrival of an unnamed dragonkin, who travelled to Mount Karuulm to find a way to lift the Curse ailing his kind without interruptions from his fellow kin.
During his stay in Mount Karuulm, he had managed to create wyrms, drakes and hydras, creatures he had thought of creating but were rejected by Kerapac, who preferred to focus on his dragons. His final creation was the Alchemical Hydra, who he viewed as a failure due to being unable to replicate it. Soon after, he leaves the volcano for Mount Quidamortem, where he would go on to create the Great Olm.
The Tasakaal[edit | edit source]
After an unknown amount of time passed after the unnamed dragonkin's departure from Mount Karuulm, three TzHaar, unable to stand by and wait for their master after watching the world fall into disarray and the anima, the life force of the world, being endangered, they left the Karamja Volcano and arrived at Mount Karuulm, where they have renamed themselves as the Tasakaal, and created the Kahlith, their servants, to aid them in keeping life in check by maintaning "the balance": For every death, there must be life. For every life, there must be a death. Despite this philosophy, they claim to not be a servant of Guthix, whom they call a pretender.
The Great Expedition[edit | edit source]
During Great Kourend's 36th decade (1,050 years ago), King Shayzien VII ordered an expedition to explore the Kebos Lowlands as part of a plan to expand the kingdom's territory. The initial surveying of the region resulted in the discovery of Mount Quidamortem, and a subsequent expedition led by Magnus Rimor was assigned to ascend the mountain and return with details of their findings. However, none returned. Assuming the party perished in the field, the expedition was declared a failure.
However, King Shayzien VII would later use a small cave within the mountain to secretly create an unstable altar which acted as an amplifier for the Dark Altar's power, as well as experimenting on the native lizards to create the lizardman, which he would use as his army to rule Kourend as Xeric a decade later.
Xeric's exile[edit | edit source]
After Xeric's exile from Great Kourend in the 47th decade (940 years ago), Xeric no longer had the Dark Altar's power to sustain his immortality, so he and the rest of his followers travelled west to Mount Quidamortem, where his artisan Tekton built a massive underground complex for him to use cave's crystals and the magic within them. In addition, the unstable altar he had ordered to be built in the small cave within the mountain would help maintain his immortality, as it allowed the Dark Altar's power to reach places where it normally couldn't by amplifying its power.
During this time, Xeric's experiments on the mountain caused a strange mist to surround it, causing a dramatic change in the flora around the mountain, rotting the lush greenery and causing the open flatlands to become sodden and impassable, creating the Kebos Swamp.
Opening the borders[edit | edit source]
Today, nearly 940 years after Xeric's exile, the region remains swarming with lizardmen, who have never ceased in their attempts to reclaim Kourend. Because of this, Shayzien had closed off the western border of the kingdom until recently, when the Shayzien army successfully pushed back the lizardmen, allowing citizens and adventurers alike to explore the Lowlands.
Soon after reopening the western border, Hosidius explorers discovered that the soil in the land just south of Mount Karuulm is extremely fertile, prompting Lord Kandur Hosidius to make a deal with his brother-in-law, Lord Shiro Shayzien, to clear out the lizardmen in the area to build and maintain the Farming Guild.
Because of the proximity of the lizardmen across the River Molch, a detachment of Shayzien sergeants, soldiers and archers have been assigned to the area to guard the farmers in the event of an attack, where they can then quickly call reinforcements from the Battlefront. However, as the lizardmen are focusing their efforts on invading Great Kourend just east of there, none have attempted to cross the River Molch that separates the area from the Kebos Swamp.
With the influx of humans arriving on Mount Karuulm, the Kahlith have also begun to engage in small businesses to help the humans with maintaining the balance that they and their masters seek to achieve.
Transportation[edit | edit source]
The Kebos Lowlands can be accessed by travelling through Shayziens' Wall in south-west Kourend or walking past the south-west corner of Lovakengj. The area can also be accessed by the following transportation methods:
- Casting Battlefront Teleport (Battlefront)
- Fairy ring (code CIR, Mount Karuulm)
- Farming spirit tree (Farming Guild)
- Lovakengj Minecart Network (Mount Quidamortem)
- Skills necklace (Farming Guild)
- Rada's blessing 3 or Rada's blessing 4 (Mount Karuulm)
- Xeric's talisman (Mount Quidamortem)
Quests[edit | edit source]
Areas of interest[edit | edit source]
Battlefront[edit | edit source]
Molch[edit | edit source]
Farming Guild[edit | edit source]
The guild contains many farming patches, in addition to some exclusive to the guild.
Lake Molch[edit | edit source]
Lake Molch is a large lake found in the eastern side of the Lowlands, bordering Shayzien. Here, players can speak to Alry the Angler to engage in aerial fishing, a Fishing and Hunter training method where players can hunt for various fish and salamanders with a Cormorant, much like Falconry where players hunt kebbits with a gyr falcon.
Mount Karuulm[edit | edit source]
Mount Karuulm is a sulphurous volcano found on the northern edge of the Kebos Lowlands, and as such has lava that appears bluish due to the combination of sulphuric gases and lava. Here, the Tasakaal, a variation of the TzHaar race, make their home.
On the top of the volcano is the home of the Kahlith, former humans who have abandoned their previous lives in the name of the Tasakaal. Together, they work together to maintain the balance between life and death. Konar quo Maten, a slayer master, resides here.
A bank with a deposit box and poll booth can be found here, as well as a furnace and a weapon shop that sells some low-level weapons.
Mount Quidamortem[edit | edit source]
Mount Quidamortem, translated as "certain death" in Latin, is a large mountain towering over the surrounding Lizardman Settlement and Kebos Swamp. On the mountain's summit, the Chambers of Xeric, a large underground cave system containing many dangerous creatures, can be found. Mountain trolls can also be found below the mountain.
Lizardman Settlement[edit | edit source]
Lacerta Falls[edit | edit source]
A small waterfall found in the southern edge of the Lowlands, Lacerta Falls currently serve no purpose other than being scenery.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Kebos, spelled in reverse, spells out Sobek. In ancient Egypt, Sobek is a deity associated with fertility (among other attributes), referencing the fertile land that the Farming Guild is built on.
- The name "Kebos Lowlands" was first displayed on the world map upon the release of Tale of the Righteous.
- In Gordon's farm, just south of the Farming Guild, there is a tractor labelled as "ancient machinery" in the barn next to the well, with the examine text stating Some form of ancient terraforming device, in need of repair. This is another tribute to Reddit user GentleTractor, who proposed a redesign of Zeah in a viral Reddit post.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Jagex. Mod Ed's Twitter account. 8 January 2019. Mod Ed: "[The Kebos Lowlands are] a separate region to Great Kourend and one of the three regions that make up the continent."
- Old notes (Karuulm Slayer Dungeon), Old School RuneScape. "[The volcano] features a selection of resources I have never encountered. Maybe one of these resources will be the key to our salvation."
- Old notes (Karuulm Slayer Dungeon), Old School RuneScape. "Zorgoth, Kerapac and the others never cared for my ideas."
- Old notes (Karuulm Slayer Dungeon), Old School RuneScape. "[Kerapac] showed no interest in [the drakes], preferring to focus on his dragons instead."
- Old notes (Karuulm Slayer Dungeon), Old School RuneScape. "The hydra project has stalled. While the enhanced creation showed promise, I have been unable to replicate it. As such, I intend to bring the project to an end."
- Old notes (Karuulm Slayer Dungeon), Old School RuneScape. "I intend to relocate to a mountain to the south. There's a lizard species there that may well be key to my next project."
- Tasakaal, Old School RuneScape. "Our purpose was to wait. But we saw the world burn. We could not stand by and watch. So we left our people. Left our home. And took on a new purpose."
- The Great Expedition, Old School RuneScape. "The survey team reports findings of a Mountain to the west of their encampment beyond a swampy area."
- The Great Expedition, Old School RuneScape. "King Shayzien VII has approved the expedition plans. 250 Days to ascend the western mountain and return with details of the findings."
- Phileas Rimor, Old School RuneScape. "Alas, according to records, the party never returned and were declared to have perished in the field."
- Ektheme, Old School RuneScape. "Without the power of the Dark Altar, Xeric would have become mortal."
- Gnosi, Old School RuneScape. "This [Unstable Altar], it seems to give off the same power as the Dark Altar. I believe this altar was created to amplify the power of the Dark Altar, allowing it to reach areas it previously couldn't."
- Stone tablet (Lizardman Temple), Old School RuneScape. "A strange mist surrounded the mountain this week... Was this his doing? His work on the mountain must be progressing."
- Stone tablet (Lizardman Temple), Old School RuneScape. "The days following showed a drastic change in the flora around the mountain, the lush greenery has rotted and the open flatlands have become sodden and impassable."
- Veos, Old School RuneScape. "Sadly, the kingdom of Great Kourend is besieged by lizard creatures and it is not possible to get out of the kingdom just yet."
- Lord Shiro Shayzien, Old School RuneScape. "We've pushed the Lizardmen back to the point where we're finally able to allow citizens such as yourself into the region."
- Gordon, Old School RuneScape. "Not too long ago you couldn't safely travel around these parts. Too many lizardmen. Some Hosidius explorers discovered how fertile this land was though."
- Gordon, Old School RuneScape. "Lord Hosidius made a deal with Lord Shayzien and the lizardmen were cleared out to make room for the Farming Guild."
- Shayzien sergeant, Old School RuneScape. "If [the lizardmen invade], we can quickly call in reinforcements if required."
- Shayzien sergeant, Old School RuneScape. "Luckily the lizardmen have been focusing their efforts elsewhere. They haven't tried to come up here yet."
- Gorhak quo Narga, Old School RuneScape. "We set [a human bank] up here to help your kind serve the balance with us."
Locations in the Kebos Lowlands