King Black Dragon
|King Black Dragon|
|Released||24 September 2002 (Update)|
|Examine||One of the biggest, meanest dragons around.|
|Max hit||25 (Melee)|
|Attack style||Stab, Dragonfire|
|Respawn time||16 ticks (9.6 seconds)|
|Slayer XP||258 xp|
|Category||Black Dragons, Bosses|
The King Black Dragon, commonly referred to as KBD, is a three-headed dragon located in his lair deep in the Wilderness. The King Black Dragon has a combat level of 276, which makes him one of the strongest dragons in Old School RuneScape. Players should not take this foe lightly, and they should always take an Anti-dragon shield as his dragonfire breath is very deadly without protection. The King Black Dragon can also be killed as an alternative for a black dragon Slayer task.
Although he will always fight back when attacked, he has gotten bored over the centuries from adventurers attacking him, as he revealed to his good friend Bob the Cat.
While the King Black Dragon's lair is entered from within the Wilderness, his lair itself is not part of the Wilderness, so players cannot attack each other in his lair. Completion of the Wilderness Diary also does not note his bone drops, and the KBD does not count towards a black dragon slayer assignment given by Krystilia.
Players can pay 50,000 coins to open an instanced version of his lair (right-click Private option on lever), where it will be inaccessible by other players. This fee can be deducted directly from the bank; players do not need to carry coins on them to create the instance.
- 1 Location
- 2 Reaching the King Black Dragon
- 3 The battle
- 4 Treasure Trails
- 5 Drops
- 6 Combat Achievements
- 7 Changes
- 8 Gallery
- 9 Trivia
Location[edit | edit source]
|King Black Dragon Lair (Wilderness)||276||1||Maplink|
Reaching the King Black Dragon[edit | edit source]
- The burning amulet can be used to get to the KBD Lair fast. It teleports the player to the Lava Maze just south-east of the fenced area containing the entrance. This is the most reliable way to get there, running west and going down the ladder in the lesser demon cage.
- Wilderness Obelisks can also be used to get there. Be wary that using them makes the player more susceptible to encountering high-level monsters or player killers. Players who complete the hard Wilderness Diary can choose the obelisk they wish to teleport to, namely the obelisk closest to the KBD's lair at level 44 Wilderness. The nearest obelisk can be accessed if the player teleports to the Corporeal Beast area via a games necklace, exits the cave, and runs south-east to the obelisk and then south-east again to reach the KBD Lair.
- From Edgeville, players can bring an axe to make a Waka canoe, which requires 57 Woodcutting, at the canoe station and take it to the Wilderness. Upon arrival, the player will have to trek westward past some green dragons on the southern end of the Lava Maze before going slightly north-west toward the western part of the Lava Maze where some fenced lesser demons are. Players entering their cage will find a ladder that will lead down to some aggressive poison spiders where a lever is pulled to finally arrive at the KBD's lair.
- North-west of Ardougne Castle, there's a lever that can be pulled that takes the player to Deserted Keep. From there, the player needs to slash some spider webs to get out, and head southward to a long fence and follow it either east or west to an opening. If following it east, beware of the Chaos Elemental! Once out, trek westward past the northern end of the Lava Maze before going slightly south-west toward the western part of the Lava Maze where some fenced lesser demons are. Enter their cage, and there's a ladder that will take you down to some aggressive poison spiders where a lever is pulled to finally arrive at the KBD's lair.
- The Ice Plateau or Ghorrock Teleport is among the fastest ways to get there. After teleporting, the player should run south-west to the gate opening, and run south-east to some fenced lesser demons on the west side of Lava Maze. Enter the cage, and there's a ladder that goes down to some aggressive poison spiders where a lever is pulled to finally arrive at the KBD's lair.
- The Arceuus spellbook's Cemetery Teleport can be used to get to the KBD lair. It teleports players to the Forgotten Cemetery, just south of the KBD lair.
The battle[edit | edit source]
In addition to his damaging attacks, the King Black Dragon can also poison the player and reduce the player's stats. It is strongly recommended to bring anti-poison (Antidote++ is preferred) and stat-restoring potions such as Super restores.
His dragonfire is significantly stronger than normal dragonfire, with a max hit of 65 with no protection, 15 with the Anti-dragon shield or Dragonfire shield, and is completely blocked with both the shield and Antifire potion. Because the max damage is so high, the player should always have one of these shields equipped.
In addition to his regular dragonfire, the King Black Dragon has three unblockable breath attacks: Poison, Shock, and Freeze. Although an antifire potion reduces damage from these attacks by 75%, it will only nullify all damage from the regular dragonfire. With the anti-dragon shield or equivalent equipped, they only deal up to 10 damage. Protect from Magic does not protect against or reduce damage of dragonfire when an anti-dragon shield or equivalent is equipped. However, if no anti-dragon shield is equipped, Protect from Magic will reduce the max hit of these attacks from 50 to 15.
Treasure Trails[edit | edit source]
Killing the King Black Dragon for a key to open the closed chest in the north-east corner of his lair is the solution to an elite cryptic clue: Scattered coins and gems fill the floor. The chest you seek is in the north-east.
Drops[edit | edit source]
The following drop rates are provided by Jagex, unless otherwise specified.
The average King Black Dragon kill is worth 19,208.73.
The average King Black Dragon kill while on a Konar task is worth 20,675.19.
100%[edit | edit source]
Pre-roll[edit | edit source]
Weapons and armour[edit | edit source]
|Dragon med helm||1||1/128||58,851||60,000|
Runes and ammunition[edit | edit source]
|Fire rune||300||5/128; 10/128[d 1]||1,500||600|
- If Monkey Madness II has not been completed, the drop rate of fire runes are 10/128.
Resources[edit | edit source]
|Yew logs||150 (noted)||10/128||31,200||14,400|
|Gold ore||100 (noted)||2/128||17,800||9,000|
Other[edit | edit source]
|Amulet of power||1||7/128||2,302||2,115|
|Dragon dart tip||5–14||5/128||8,230–23,044||750–2,100|
|Dragon javelin heads||15||5/128[d 1]||13,815||17,550|
- Dragon javelin heads are only dropped after completion of Monkey Madness II.
Rare and Gem drop table[edit | edit source]
|Nothing||N/A||1/52.25; Never[d 1]||N/A||N/A|
|Loop half of key||1||1/100.36; 1/98.46[d 2]||10,351||60|
|Tooth half of key||1||1/100.36; 1/98.46[d 2]||10,382||60|
|Uncut sapphire||1||1/157.54; 1/80[d 2]||359||15|
|Rune 2h sword||1||1/682.67||37,767||38,400|
|Uncut emerald||1||1/315.08; 1/160[d 2]||613||30|
|Rune sq shield||1||1/1,024||22,468||23,040|
|Silver ore||100 (noted)||1/1,024||3,600||4,500|
|Uncut ruby||1||1/630.15; 1/320[d 2]||1,206||60|
|Dragon med helm||1||1/2,048||58,851||60,000|
|Rune spear||1||1/2,126.93; 1/243.04[d 2][d 3]||11,755||12,480|
|Shield left half||1||1/4,253.86; 1/486.08[d 2][d 3]||65,315||66,000|
|Nature talisman||1||1/1,680.41; 1/853.33[d 2]||1,027||2|
|Dragon spear||1||1/5,671.81; 1/648.1[d 2][d 3]||36,787||37,440|
|Uncut diamond||1||1/2,520.62; 1/1,280[d 2]||2,748||120|
|Rune javelin||5||1/5,041.23; 1/2,560[d 2]||845||1,200|
Tertiary[edit | edit source]
|Key (elite)||1||Always[d 1]||Not sold||N/A|
|Brimstone key||1||1/64[d 2]||Not sold||N/A|
|Kbd heads||1||1/128||Not sold||30,000|
|Clue scroll (elite)||1||1/450[d 3]||Not sold||12|
|Prince black dragon||1||1/3,000||Not sold||N/A|
Deadman mode[edit | edit source]
The following drops and rarities only apply to Deadman Mode.
Combat Achievements[edit | edit source]
The following Combat Achievement tasks involve the King Black Dragon.
|King Black Dragon Novice||Kill the King Black Dragon 10 times.||Easy||Kill count|
|King Black Dragon Champion||Kill the King Black Dragon 50 times.||Medium||Kill count|
|Claw Clipper||Kill the King Black Dragon with the Protect from Melee prayer activated.||Medium||Mechanical|
|Hide Penetration||Kill the King Black Dragon with a stab weapon.||Medium||Restriction|
|Antifire Protection||Kill the King Black Dragon with an antifire potion active and an antidragon shield equipped.||Medium||Restriction|
|Who Is the King Now?||Kill The King Black Dragon 10 times in a privately rented instance without leaving the instance.||Hard||Stamina|
Changes[edit | edit source]
|17 October 2019
King Black Dragon boss tasks are no longer offered to players until they've started Dragon Slayer and gained access to anti-dragon equipment.
|4 January 2018
The examine text was changed. Previously, it was The biggest, meanest dragon around.
|16 February 2017
(update | poll)
The King Black Dragon respawn timer has been reduced to 10 seconds.
|18 February 2016
(update | poll)
The lever which teleports you into the lair of the King Black Dragon has a new option to open up a private instance of the lair.
|25 June 2015
(update | poll)
Added a 'peek' option to the entrance of this boss, allowing players to see the number of other players currently in the boss room.
|17 July 2014
(update | poll)
Players can now receive a pet version of this boss after defeating it.
|13 March 2014
(update | poll)
The King Black Dragon and Chaos Elemental have had their drop tables improved and both have a chance of dropping the Dragon Pickaxe.
|6 February 2014
(update | poll)
|29 August 2006
The NPC was renamed from "King black dragon" to "King Black Dragon".
|26 January –
27 June 2005
The NPC's examine was changed from "The biggest meanest dragon around." to "The biggest, meanest dragon around."
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Historical[edit | edit source]
|29 March 2004 –
29 August 2006
|29 August 2006 –|
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- King Black Dragon appears on one of the seven Postbag from the Hedge stamps.
- Engaging in combat with the King Black Dragon while not having any form of dragonfire protection gives unique messages in the player's chatbox when they are harmed by the various types of dragonfire:
- Freezing: You're chilled to the bone by the dragon's icy breath!
- Poison: You're badly scalded by the dragon's toxic breath!
- Shocking: You're zapped by the dragon's shocking breath!
- Burning: You're horribly burnt by the dragon's fiery breath!
- The King Black Dragon can talk, as seen in A Tail of Two Cats. During the final cutscene, he is visited by Bob the Jagex Cat. During the chat between the King and Bob, R4ng3rNo0b889 attempts to solo the King, is unable to damage him, and is killed in one hit as he had no dragonfire protection at all.
|Black dragon||Strongest monster in RuneScape||Kalphite Queen|