|Released||17 November 2016 (Update)|
|Teleports||Kourend Castle Teleport|
The Kourend Castle is a large castle found in the centre of Great Kourend. As Great Kourend is a currently ruled by the Kourend Council, there is no king that rules here, even though the castle appears to be furnished for royalty; this is because the last king that ruled Great Kourend, King Kharedst IV, ruled until the 139th decade (about 20 years ago).
The castle acts as a diplomatic hub, attracting ambassadors and business representatives, such as the Knight of Varlamore. With the inhabitants of the mainland beginning to travel to Great Kourend, this may extend to rulers found in major kingdoms such as Asgarnia, Misthalin and Kandarin in the future.
Throughout the castle, Shayzien guards and Head Guards can be found. The western entrance's portcullis is closed, heavily guarded, and contains a large arsenal of ballistae, spear walls, gabion defences and barrels containing swords and bows.
Noteworthy features[edit | edit source]
Ground floor[edit | edit source]
- The statue found at the courtyard, upon investigation, leads down to the Catacombs of Kourend.
- The statue, upon first arriving to Great Kourend, is a slab of stone and is incomplete; players must complete the Architectural Alliance miniquest to complete its construction. The statue depicts the first King of Great Kourend, King Rada I. In addition, the statue can be read, revealing a poem titled "Kourend the Magnificent".
|Click "Expand" to view the poem:|
Kourend the magnificent,
- The courtyard contains several stalls the player can steal from (silver, fruit, bakeries, silk, and gems). The player may be caught by Shayzien guards if they fail while stealing items.
- The courtyard has four yew trees the player can cut.
- There is a portrait that is an artist's impression of King Byrne I, who is known for his coronation speech.
- There is an anvil by the south-west corner of the castle.
First floor[edit | edit source]
- The Knight of Varlamore is found in the western side.
- There are additional Shayzien guards and Head Guards.
- Councillor Andrews, the current head councillor of the Kourend Council, is found by the throne to the east.
Second floor[edit | edit source]
- A bank can be found here, along with a poll booth.
- An small chapel is located in the centre, with an altar upon which to recharge prayer points. Praying at the altar here is a task for the easy Kourend & Kebos Diary.
- Two dark wizards and a lesser demon are caged in the south.
- If players have completed The Queen of Thieves, Councillor Hughes will be found locked in a cell.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Changes[edit | edit source]
|16 June 2021
A new woodland area has been added to the west of the castle. The burnt bone spawns and the western gate have been removed.
|10 January 2019
|24 November 2016
The portrait on the ground floor[UK]1st floor[US], which was a re-used asset of the portrait of King Lathas on the top floor of the Varrock Museum, has been recoloured to depict an artist's impression of King Byrne I.