|Released||10 April 2014 (Update)|
|Examine||We'll fight, until world's end.|
|Attack style||Typeless Magic|
|Category||Boss, Cave kraken|
The Kraken is a stronger and larger version of the cave kraken. It requires level 87 Slayer to kill. Located at the Kraken Cove, it can only be attacked if the player has cave krakens as a Slayer assignment, which also requires level 50 Magic. In addition to its non-boss variants, it is the only monster that drops the Trident of the seas and Kraken tentacle.
Like its smaller brethren, the Kraken is submerged underwater. To start the fight, the four whirlpools around it must be disturbed; this will release a level 112 Enormous Tentacle, which attacks with Magic. When all four whirlpools are disturbed, the larger one can be disturbed, which will result in the Kraken popping out. Both the Kraken and its tentacles attack with magic; the Kraken can hit very hard, but often misses, while the tentacles are much more accurate but deal less damage. The Kraken and its tentacles use Typeless Magic and as such Protect from Magic does not prevent or reduce any damage they deal to the player (nor does it reduce their accuracy). The Kraken's projectile resembles Fire Wave.
Players can create a Kraken instance for 25,000 coins. The player does not need to carry coins on them to create the instance. The player does need to be careful in the instance though, as it only holds one player (the creator), and any items you drop will be permanently lost upon exiting, including those if you die or disconnect. Also if you log out after paying the coins, you will be kicked out of the boss room and will have to pay again. Items intentionally dropped on the floor within the Kraken boss instance will remain on the floor for 60 minutes; however, items are still lost on death. Items dropped in the regular cave will disappear as normal.
Drops[edit | edit source]
Drop rates estimated based on 437,585 kills from the Old School RuneScape Wiki drop log project, unless otherwise cited.
An average Kraken kill is worth 22,263.
Weapons and armour[edit | edit source]
|Mystic water staff||1||3/128||25,108||25,500|
|Mystic robe top||1||1/128||71,300||72,000|
|Mystic robe bottom||1||1/128||47,337||48,000|
|Trident of the seas (full)||1||1/512||817,107||41,400|
Runes[edit | edit source]
Seeds[edit | edit source]
Materials[edit | edit source]
|Unpowered orb||50 (noted)||2/128||5,150||3,000|
|Oak plank||60 (noted)||3/128||25,020||9,000|
|Raw shark||50 (noted)||2/128||52,450||5,100|
|Raw monkfish||100 (noted)||2/128||30,800||13,800|
|Grimy snapdragon||6 (noted)||2/128||59,976||72|
Other[edit | edit source]
|Rusty sword||1||1.75/128||Not sold||0|
Gem drop table[edit | edit source]
There is a 2/128 chance of rolling the gem drop table.
|Uncut sapphire||1||1/256; 1/130[d 1]||479||15|
|Uncut emerald||1||1/512; 1/260[d 1]||684||30|
|Uncut ruby||1||1/1,024; 1/520[d 1]||1,311||60|
|Chaos talisman||1||1/2,730.67; 1/1,386.67[d 1][d 2]||589||2|
|Nature talisman||1||1/2,730.67; 1/1,386.67[d 1][d 2]||668||2|
|Uncut diamond||1||1/4,096; 1/2,080[d 1]||2,879||120|
|Loop half of key||1||1/8,192; 1/4,160[d 1]||10,323||60|
|Tooth half of key||1||1/8,192; 1/4,160[d 1]||9,577||60|
|Rune javelin||5||1/8,192; 1/4,160[d 1]||885||1,200|
|Rune spear||1||1/131,072; 1/7,800[d 1][d 3]||11,774||12,480|
|Shield left half||1||1/262,144; 1/15,600[d 1][d 3]||65,081||66,000|
|Dragon spear||1||1/349,525.33; 1/20,800[d 1][d 3]||37,370||37,440|
- The drop rate of this item is increased when wearing a Ring of wealth.
- The dropped talisman depends on the location where you kill this monster.
- The Rune spear, Shield left half and Dragon spear will only be dropped if Legend's Quest has been started, or else a talisman will be dropped as a replacement.
Tertiary[edit | edit source]
|Brimstone key||1||1/61.8[d 1]||Not sold||N/A|
|Clue scroll (elite)||1||1/500||Not sold||12|
|Jar of dirt||1||1/1,000||5,407||0|
|Pet kraken||1||1/3,000||Not sold||N/A|
Changes[edit | edit source]
|19 March 2015
(update | poll)
|It is now possible to open an instanced Kraken cave.|
|17 July 2014
(update | poll)
|Players can now receive a pet version of this boss after defeating it.|
|22 May 2014
|Thermy and the Cave kraken boss now have 'Attack' options, rather than 'Fight'.|
|24 April 2014
|Kraken now respawns at the same rate as the thermonuclear smoke devil.|
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Its examine text is a reference to Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest and its sequel At World's End, as well as the jar of dirt drop, and the abyssal tentacle.
- Upon release, the Kraken did not have an option to create an instance. This was added on an update on 19 March 2015.
- It uses the same in-game model as the Sea Troll Queen from the Swan Song quest, but recoloured.
- Starting from the 2016 Christmas event, the Kraken, along with its pet counterpart, can be seen wearing a Santa hat throughout the duration of the yearly event.
- The Kraken, along with the Thermonuclear smoke devil, are the only Slayer bosses that can be fought with another player.
References[edit | edit source]
- Envision. "Drop Rates V2." RuneScape Forums.
- Jagex. Mod Kieren's Twitter account. 16 January 2019. Mod Kieren: "It follows a curve up until level 100 then scales linearly between those 2 values upto level 350 combat. Creatures over thsi[sic] will cap at 1/50. "
- Jagex. Mod JohnC's Twitter account. 15 Sep 2014. (Archived from the original on 15 Sep 2014.) Mod JohnC: "Kraken, Thermy & Penance Queen pet drop rates - DKS for the final reveal next week!"