You will no longer lose all of your items in a Kraken instance.
|Released||10 April 2014 (Update)|
|Examine||Something big lurking beneath the water.|
|Attack style||Typeless Magic|
|Slayer XP||255 xp|
|Category||Boss, Cave kraken|
|Immune to poison|
The Kraken is a stronger and larger version of the cave kraken. It requires level 87 Slayer to kill. Located at the Kraken Cove, it can only be attacked if the player has cave krakens as a Slayer task, which also requires level 50 Magic. In addition to its non-boss variants, it is the only monster that drops the Trident of the seas and Kraken tentacle.
Like its smaller brethren, the Kraken is submerged underwater. To start the fight, the four whirlpools around it must be disturbed; this will release a level 112 Enormous Tentacle, which attacks with Magic. When all four whirlpools are disturbed, the larger one can be disturbed, which will result in the Kraken popping out. Both the Kraken and its tentacles attack with magic; the Kraken can hit very hard, but often misses, while the tentacles are much more accurate but deal less damage. The Kraken and its tentacles use Typeless Magic and as such Protect from Magic does not prevent or reduce any damage they deal to the player (nor does it reduce their accuracy). The Kraken's projectile resembles Fire Wave.
Players can create a Kraken instance for 25,000 coins. The player does not need to carry coins on them to create the instance.
Drops[edit | edit source]
Drop rates estimated based on 437,585 kills from the Drop Rate Project, unless otherwise cited.
The average Kraken kill is worth 23,719.56.
The average Kraken kill while on a Konar task is worth 25,727.41.
Weapons and armour[edit | edit source]
|Mystic water staff||1||3/128||25,047||25,500|
|Mystic robe top||1||1/128||71,709||72,000|
|Mystic robe bottom||1||1/128||47,596||48,000|
|Trident of the seas (full)||1||1/512||834,669||41,400|
Runes[edit | edit source]
Seeds[edit | edit source]
Materials[edit | edit source]
|Unpowered orb||50 (noted)||2/128||3,950||3,000|
|Oak plank||60 (noted)||3/128||29,940||9,000|
|Raw shark||50 (noted)||2/128||29,750||5,100|
|Raw monkfish||100 (noted)||2/128||30,700||13,800|
|Grimy snapdragon||6 (noted)||2/128||48,570||72|
Other[edit | edit source]
|Rusty sword||1||1.75/128||Not sold||0|
Gem drop table[edit | edit source]
There is a 2/128 chance of rolling the gem drop table.
|Nothing||N/A||1/128.23; Never[d 1]||N/A||N/A|
|Uncut sapphire||1||1/256; 1/130[d 2]||400||15|
|Uncut emerald||1||1/512; 1/260[d 2]||652||30|
|Uncut ruby||1||1/1,024; 1/520[d 2]||1,309||60|
|Chaos talisman||1||1/2,730.67; 1/1,386.67[d 2][d 3]||593||2|
|Nature talisman||1||1/2,730.67; 1/1,386.67[d 2][d 3]||929||2|
|Uncut diamond||1||1/4,096; 1/2,080[d 2]||2,537||120|
|Loop half of key||1||1/8,192; 1/4,160[d 2]||10,117||60|
|Tooth half of key||1||1/8,192; 1/4,160[d 2]||10,364||60|
|Rune javelin||5||1/8,192; 1/4,160[d 2]||890||1,200|
|Rune spear||1||1/131,072; 1/7,800[d 2][d 4]||11,910||12,480|
|Shield left half||1||1/262,144; 1/15,600[d 2][d 4]||65,252||66,000|
|Dragon spear||1||1/349,525.33; 1/20,800[d 2][d 4]||37,417||37,440|
- The "nothing" drop is removed while wearing a ring of wealth.
- The drop rate is increased while wearing a ring of wealth due to the "nothing" drop being removed.
- The talisman dropped depends on where the monster is located: monsters above ground level drop the nature talisman, and monsters below ground level drop the chaos talisman.
- Only dropped if Legends' Quest has been finished; if not, a talisman is dropped instead.
Tertiary[edit | edit source]
|Brimstone key||1||1/48[d 1]||Not sold||N/A|
|Clue scroll (elite)||1||1/500||Not sold||12|
|Jar of dirt||1||1/1,000||4,771||0|
|Pet kraken||1||1/3,000||Not sold||N/A|
Changes[edit | edit source]
|23 July 2020
|The Kraken will now correctly attack the player it is engaged in combat with.|
|25 June 2015
(update | poll)
|Added a 'peek' option to the entrance of this boss.|
|19 March 2015
(update | poll)
|It is now possible to open an instanced Kraken cave.|
|17 July 2014
(update | poll)
|Players can now receive a pet version of this boss after defeating it.|
|22 May 2014
|Thermy and the Cave kraken boss now have 'Attack' options, rather than 'Fight'.|
|24 April 2014
|Kraken now respawns at the same rate as the thermonuclear smoke devil.|
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Its examine text is a reference to Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest and its sequel At World's End, as well as the jar of dirt drop, and the abyssal tentacle.
- Upon release, the Kraken did not have an option to create an instance. This was added on an update on 19 March 2015.
- It uses the same in-game model as the Sea Troll Queen from the Swan Song quest, but recoloured.
- Starting from the 2016 Christmas event, the Kraken, along with its pet counterpart, can be seen wearing a Santa hat throughout the duration of the yearly event.
- The Kraken and the Thermonuclear smoke devil are the only Slayer bosses that can be fought with another player.
References[edit | edit source]