|Released||10 April 2014 (Update)|
|Examine||Something big lurking beneath the water.|
|Attack style||Typeless Magic|
|Respawn time||15 ticks (9 seconds)|
|Slayer XP||255 xp|
|Category||Cave Kraken, Bosses|
The Kraken is a stronger and larger version of the cave kraken. It requires level 87 Slayer to kill and cannot be boosted. Located at the Kraken Cove, it can only be attacked if the player has cave krakens as a Slayer task, which also requires level 50 Magic. Alongside its non-boss variants, it is the only monster that drops the trident of the seas and Kraken tentacle.
Like its smaller brethren, the Kraken is submerged underwater. Magic is the only reliable way of dealing damage to it, as Ranged attacks are heavily reduced, and Melee cannot be used. To start the fight, players can use a fishing explosive on the large whirlpool. Alternatively, the four whirlpools around can be disturbed; when all four whirlpools are disturbed, the larger one can be disturbed, which will result in the Kraken waking up. Both methods will release level 112 Enormous Tentacles, which attack with Magic.
Both the Kraken and its tentacles attack with magic; the Kraken can hit very hard, but often misses, while the tentacles are much more accurate but deal less damage. The Kraken and its tentacles use Typeless Magic and as such Protect from Magic does not provide any degree of damage reduction. The Kraken's projectile resembles Fire Wave.
Players can create a Kraken instance for 25,000 coins. This fee can be deducted directly from the bank; players do not need to carry coins on them to create the instance.
Drops[edit | edit source]
Drop rates estimated based on 437,585 samples from the Drop Rate Project, unless otherwise cited.
The average Kraken kill is worth 17,929.47.
The average Kraken kill while on a Konar task is worth 19,873.1.
Weapons and armour[edit | edit source]
|Mystic water staff||1||3/128||25,248||25,500|
|Mystic robe top||1||1/128||71,943||72,000|
|Mystic robe bottom||1||1/128||48,155||48,000|
|Trident of the seas (full)||1||1/512||745,869||41,400|
Runes[edit | edit source]
Seeds[edit | edit source]
Materials[edit | edit source]
|Unpowered orb||50 (noted)||2/128||4,450||3,000|
|Oak plank||60 (noted)||3/128||27,660||9,000|
|Raw shark||50 (noted)||2/128||22,150||5,100|
|Raw monkfish||100 (noted)||2/128||20,700||13,800|
|Grimy snapdragon||6 (noted)||2/128||43,050||72|
Other[edit | edit source]
|Rusty sword||1||1.75/128||Not sold||0|
Gem drop table[edit | edit source]
There is a 2/128 chance of rolling the gem drop table.
|Nothing||N/A||1/128.23; Never[d 1]||N/A||N/A|
|Uncut sapphire||1||1/256; 1/130[d 2]||317||15|
|Uncut emerald||1||1/512; 1/260[d 2]||617||30|
|Uncut ruby||1||1/1,024; 1/520[d 2]||1,114||60|
|Chaos talisman||1||1/2,730.67; 1/1,386.67[d 2][d 3]||87||2|
|Nature talisman||1||1/2,730.67; 1/1,386.67[d 2][d 3]||143||2|
|Uncut diamond||1||1/4,096; 1/2,080[d 2]||2,693||120|
|Loop half of key||1||1/8,192; 1/4,160[d 2]||10,277||60|
|Tooth half of key||1||1/8,192; 1/4,160[d 2]||10,579||60|
|Rune javelin||5||1/8,192; 1/4,160[d 2]||835||1,200|
|Rune spear||1||1/131,072; 1/7,800[d 2][d 4]||12,036||12,480|
|Shield left half||1||1/262,144; 1/15,600[d 2][d 4]||66,009||66,000|
|Dragon spear||1||1/349,525.33; 1/20,800[d 2][d 4]||41,156||37,440|
- The "nothing" drop is removed while wearing a ring of wealth.
- The drop rate is increased while wearing a ring of wealth due to the "nothing" drop being removed.
- The talisman dropped depends on where the monster is located: monsters above ground level drop the nature talisman, and monsters below ground level drop the chaos talisman.
- Only dropped if Legends' Quest has been finished; if not, a talisman is dropped instead.
Tertiary[edit | edit source]
|Brimstone key||1||1/49[d 1]||Not sold||N/A|
|Clue scroll (elite)||1||1/500[d 2]||Not sold||12|
|Jar of dirt||1||1/1,000||12,166||0|
|Pet kraken||1||1/3,000||Not sold||N/A|
Combat Achievements[edit | edit source]
|Krakan't Hurt Me||Kill the Kraken 25 times in a private instance without leaving the room.||Stamina||Hard|
|Kraken Adept||Kill the Kraken 20 times.||Kill Count||Hard|
|Unnecessary Optimization||Kill the Kraken after killing all four tentacles.||Mechanical||Hard|
|Ten-tacles||Kill the Kraken 50 times in a private instance without leaving the room.||Stamina||Elite|
|One Hundred Tentacles||Kill the Kraken 100 times in a private instance without leaving the room.||Stamina||Master|
Changes[edit | edit source]
|14 July 2021
(update | poll)
Fishing explosives can now be used to instantly awaken the Kraken.
|23 July 2020
The Kraken will now correctly attack the player it is engaged in combat with.
|24 September 2015
The Kraken whirlpool can no longer be damaged by poison.
|25 June 2015
(update | poll)
Added a 'peek' option to the entrance of this boss, allowing players to see the number of other players currently in the boss room.
|19 March 2015
(update | poll)
It is now possible to open an instanced Kraken cave.
|17 July 2014
(update | poll)
Players can now receive a pet version of this boss after defeating it.
|22 May 2014
Thermy and the Cave kraken boss now have 'Attack' options, rather than 'Fight'.
|24 April 2014
Kraken now respawns at the same rate as the thermonuclear smoke devil.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The Kraken uses the same in-game model as the Sea Troll Queen from the Swan Song quest, but recoloured.
- Its examine text, the jar of dirt drop, and the abyssal tentacle are references to Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest and its sequel At World's End.
- The Kraken had a festive override wearing a santa hat during the 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, and 2022 Christmas events.
- The Kraken is a mythological creature originating from Norse folklore.
- According to former Old School RuneScape content developer Mod Reach, the Kraken's underwhelming damage output is due to what he described as a game engine bug that, despite his protests, Jagex ultimately decided to adopt as a feature of the boss.
References[edit | edit source]
- Envision. "Drop Rates V2." Old School RuneScape Forums.
- Jagex. Mod JohnC's Twitter account. 15 September 2014. Archived from the original on 15 September 2014. Mod JohnC: "Kraken, Thermy & Penance Queen pet drop rates - DKS for the final reveal next week!"
- Mod Shauny. "In the Games Industry - An interview with ex-Mod Reach!." (2h41m23s), YouTube video. 28 January 2020.