|Legends' Quest (#50)|
|Released||20 August 2003 (Update)|
|Quest series||Karamja, Guilds|
|Lead developer(s)||Tytn H|
Legends' Quest is a quest in which the player is sent by Guildmaster Radimus Erkle to explore and map the Kharazi Jungle on the southern part of Karamja, establish relations with the natives and obtain a gift from them.
- 1 Details
- 2 Walkthrough
- 2.1 Getting started
- 2.2 Transport and banking
- 2.3 Mapping the jungle
- 2.4 Contacting the locals
- 2.5 Binding book
- 2.6 Gold bowl
- 2.7 Pure water
- 2.8 Freeing Ungadulu
- 2.9 Bravery potion
- 2.10 Finding the water source
- 2.11 The second battle
- 2.12 Restoring the totem
- 2.13 The final battle
- 2.14 Finishing up
- 3 Rewards
- 4 Transcript
- 5 Required for completing
Details[edit | edit source]
|Start point||Talk to the guards just outside of the Legends' Guild.|
|Description||Only the elite are allowed to call themselves a Legend of RuneScape. Do you have what it takes to make it into the guild?|
|Official length||Very long|
Note: Only the quest requirements must be met to start this quest. If you do not have the skill requirements, you may be unable to continue at certain points until you meet them.
|Enemies to defeat|
Note for Ironmen below 75 Woodcutting: Towards the end of the quest, it is possible to obtain magic logs by allowing yommi trees to die and chopping them down. This can no longer be done once the quest is finished! This is a slow and tedious process (~2–4 hours depending on your luck), but worth it for those who do not want to get 75 Woodcutting or hunt nature implings. Without having the level to chop down magic trees, this is one of the very few ways to obtain magic logs in all of RuneScape. Magic logs are needed for a few quests (16 in total): 12 for Desert Treasure, 1 for Mourning's End Part I, and 3 for unlocking the Gnome Stronghold balloon route (requirement for Monkey Madness II). This seems to yield magic logs about 1/4 of the time. Magic logs are also available through Wintertodt and Barbarian Assault high gambles, or as an uncommon drop from Revenants and the Brimstone Chest, but these options are heavily reliant on luck.
Walkthrough[edit | edit source]
Getting started[edit | edit source]
To begin the quest, talk to the guards just outside the legends guild (fairy ring code blr). If they think you're worthy, they'll send you through the gates to talk to Sir Radimus Erkle to get your assignment. He will give you an incomplete map of the Kharazi Jungle, which you're to complete, and tell you to make friends with the inhabitants of the jungle so they'll give you a totem pole to proudly display inside the guild.
Transport and banking[edit | edit source]
You will need to bank several times during the quest. Depending on stats and risk tolerance, it may be possible to complete more steps in a single trip, so read ahead to see what will be required.
If you have unlocked fairy rings, the shortest way to the jungle is code ckr. When you need to bank, teleport out of the jungle and return using the fairy ring. Wearing a charged amulet of glory or ring of wealth throughout the quest provides a convenient teleport close to a bank and fairy ring (Edgeville and the Grand Exchange respectively). It may be worth taking the alternative route to Shilo Village on the first trip, to buy charcoal and papyrus.
If not using the fairy rings, make your way to Brimhaven by taking a boat from Ardougne or any charter ship. Then, you can take Hajedy's cart to Shilo Village (his fee is 200 coins). Later, you can exit the jungle the same way as entering it, and return to Shilo Village to use the bank.
It will be necessary to exit from the depths of the Viyeldi caves, twice for the short path and three times for the long path. Even for players travelling by cart, teleporting out will be faster than climbing out. If climbing out, you can fail at some obstacles, particularly the strength door (where your attempts to open it from the inside can be interrupted by attacks from death wings). Teleporting out also provides an opportunity to bank before continuing.
Mapping the jungle[edit | edit source]
- Note: You do not need 50 Woodcutting to enter the jungle. However, you do need 50 Woodcutting to cut down the Yommi Tree at the end of the quest.
Head to the jungle boundary south of Shilo Village. To get into the Kharazi Jungle, you'll need to cut your way through the overgrown jungle vegetation using a hatchet and machete.
Once inside (preferably on the eastern/western sides, so you don't have to run back and forth), start mapping down the jungle with your charcoal and papyrus by right-clicking on the Radimus notes and then selecting 'Complete'. Sometimes the charcoal and/or papyrus can break, so you should bring extra just in case. Alternatively, you may mess up the papyrus, but be able to salvage it. You should watch out for the jungle wolves, as they are aggressive; the jungle savages and oomlie birds aren't aggressive unless provoked (see below).
Extra tasks[edit | edit source]
- If you intend on freeing Sir Amik Varze in Recipe for Disaster, you should grab vanilla pod(s) whilst you are here—they are located directly south-west from the water pool near the beach in a group of five plants.
- Shake a leafy palm tree to acquire a palm leaf. Pick up five palm leaves (or pick up and drop the same one five times) to complete a hard task for the Karamja Diary.
- Additionally, kill an oomlie bird and collect its its meat. Use a palm leaf on the raw meat, then cook the resulting wrapped oomlie over fire (now or later) and eat the resulting oomlie wrap to complete another hard task.
- Chop some teak and mahogany trees at the southern coastal end of the jungle to complete two medium tasks rather than paying 100 trading sticks to enter the Hardwood Grove.
Contacting the locals[edit | edit source]
Skills required: 50 Agility
Consider banking here to get the items for the Binding book section.
Talk to one of the jungle foresters, who are standing at various points along the outside of the jungle boundary. They have a bull roarer, which they'll be willing to give up if you give them a copy of your notes. Use the completed Radimus notes on the forester, who will then make a copy before giving you their bull roarer.
- Warning: Do not use the bull roarer around jungle savages or oomlie birds, or you'll be attacked!
Go inside the jungle again, and swing it near the totem pole found east of the water pool represented by a blue square on the map to call a local named Gujuo out of hiding. (There are multiple totem poles in the jungle, so if nothing happens, try another one.) He'll ask for your help, since his tribe's shaman, Ungadulu, is trapped in his cave.
From now on, you can call Gujuo using the bull roarer from anywhere in the jungle. Towards the northwestern edge of the jungle, you'll find some rocks that you can squeeze through to get into the cave.
Investigate (right-click) the fire wall and talk to Ungadulu, who warns you not to approach the flames, but becomes possessed and informs you that only pure water can extinguish the flames. Next, search the various items; the bed, table, and crate to obtain Ungadulu's notes: a scrawled note from the crate; a scribbled note on the table; and a scrumpled note on the bed. Reading them tells you how the shaman had prepared to summon his ancestors and pay homage to them, but fell prey to an evil presence in the cave.
Once you're back outside again, call Gujuo with your bull roarer. Ask the shaman for more information and tell him you need some pure water to douse some magic flames (option 4). Ask, "What kind of a vessel?" (option 5). He'll give you a sketch of the vessel.
Binding book[edit | edit source]
- Radimus notes, axe, machete, pickaxe, 1-2 lockpicks (2 to be safe).
- "SMELL" runes: 1 soul rune, 1 mind rune, 1 earth rune, 2 law runes.
- Cut sapphire, emerald, ruby, diamond, red topaz, jade and opal.
- Supplies to pass level 83 Death Wings, and equipment to kill one for the Karamja Diary if you wish to do it on this trip. (The second trip may be more convenient, as you will need combat equipment anyway.)
- A super restore potion if your level is not far above the required level stated below.
Skills required: 50 Agility to squeeze through the crevice, 50 Thieving to pick the locked door, 52 Mining to smash the boulders [If boosting mining bring 2-3 Dwarven Stouts(m)], 50 Strength to force the heavy door.
Make sure that you have all the required items. Go back to the cave. Ignore the fire wall and head to the east side of the room. Squeeze through a crevice hidden behind the easternmost bookshelf by searching it.
As you proceed further into the cave, you will come across an ancient gate. This is where your lockpick comes into play. Attempt to pick the lock; if you fail, you may lose your lockpick. However, as there is a message before the lockpick breaks, you can easily circumvent it by clicking elsewhere, which will save your lockpick.
Once past this door, you'll need a pickaxe to mine three boulders out of the way. If you fail, your Mining level will decrease by 1. Once past these three boulders, use brute force to open the next set of doors; failing this will result in your Strength being lowered. Beware of level 83 Death Wings on the other side; activating Protect From Melee can completely negate their damage. Killing a Death Wing, either now or on the second visit, will complete a hard task in the Karamja Diary.
Run farther into the cave, and jump over the jagged wall. When you get further inside, you'll find a place where there are markings on the wall. Read them and it will give you the riddle
- "Place the five in order to pass or your life will dwindle until the last. All five are stones of magical power, place them wrong and your fate will sour. First is the spirit of man or beast (Soul rune), second is the place where thoughts are born (Mind rune), Third is the soil from which good things grow (Earth Rune), Four and five are the rules all men should know (Two Law Runes). All put together make the word of basic sense. And from perspective help make maps from indifference."
It spells SMELL. Use the runes with the wall in order and a door appears.
Inside, you'll face your next puzzle, where you'll see a number of stalagmites sitting in pools of water. Fit your gems into each one by referring to the map at the beginning of this section. When all of them are in, there will be a little light show, and the binding book will appear. Take the book. (One useful feature of this book is that you can bless vials and fill them with pure water from your bowl to make holy water. Wielding these while fighting demons damages them.)
Once you have the binding book, you can leave the cave (recommended to teleport out).
Note: If you lose the binding book, you must repeat the steps above in order to reclaim it! However, the "SMELL" runes are not needed a second time.
Gold bowl[edit | edit source]
Skills required: 50 Smithing.
Go to any anvil while holding the sketch of the vessel you obtained from Gujuo and try to make the gold bowl. You may fail, so to be safe, bring more than two bars. If walking, the closest anvil is in Tai Bwo Wannai Village. If you can use fairy rings and have 60 smithing, you can use the minigame teleport to Blast Furnace for an anvil, take a mine cart back to the Grand Exchange, then use the fairy ring there to return to the jungle.
Pure water[edit | edit source]
Recommended: Bring the items for Freeing Ungadulu.
Head back into the jungle and call Gujuo. He'll help you bless your gold bowl so that it can carry the pure water. Your prayer points must be at or above 42 to attempt this, and if you fail, it will drain 5 prayer points. If it drains your prayer below 42, you'll have to restore it to try again.
To bless multiple bowls, talk to Gujuo again (without saying "thanks for your help").
With your blessed golden bowl, head to the pool of pure water towards the middle of the jungle. Since you can't quite reach the water, cut a hollow reed by using your machete on the tall reeds by the edge of the pool, then use the reed on the pool to siphon the water into your bowl. Note that if you leave the jungle, the water may evaporate, requiring you to refill the bowl again when you return.
Freeing Ungadulu[edit | edit source]
There is an upcoming fight, so be prepared. When you're ready, use your pure water on the fire wall to step through without damage. Then, use your binding book on Ungadulu to release the demon, Nezikchened. Do not talk to or attack Ungadulu. (If you talk to him, he will damage you. If you attack him, he will damage you and knock you out of the octogram.)
Nezikchened is level 187 and will drain a large amount of prayer (90%) at the beginning of the battle, but never again after that, so be careful if you want to use it while fighting him. Additionally, he'll cast a Fire Blast just before dying, so make sure to keep your HP up so that he doesn't kill you with his last ditch attack. This Fire Blast will hit through the Protect from Magic prayer.
Arclight is heavily recommended for its damage and accuracy boost, as well as its stat-lowering special attack versus demons. If unavailable, other demonbane weapons (eg. Silverlight, Darklight, Holy Water) may be used alongside a higher-tier weapon. The desk can be used as a safespot, resulting in Nezikchened switching to Magic attacks.
- Note: There seems to be a glitch where if there is more than one person in the room (not inside the octagram), Nezikchened may go aggressive on the other player. This then makes Nezikchened completely harmless and unable to attack the player.
- Note: If you don't kill Nezikchened fast enough, he will reset, causing you to have to use the book on Ungadulu again. The combat will reset, restoring him to full health and re-draining your prayer.
Once Nezikchened is defeated, Ungadulu will thank you and give you some yommi tree seeds. Be careful not to attack him as this will knock you out of the octogram and deal some damage, and if your health is low after the fight, this may kill you. You can use the drop trick to get more yommi tree seeds, to save time later if you lose the plants to rotting or if you are an Ironman and want to get magic logs. Ask Ungadulu how to get out, and he will tell you that he cast a spell to protect you from the flames. You can now walk through the flames at any time without the bowl.
Exit the cave, head back to the pure water pool, and refill your bowl with water if needed. Then, use it on the yommi tree seeds to germinate them. (Doing this will empty all your bowls if you had more than one, and you cannot plant the seed without more pure water.) After germinating the seeds, plant them in the fertile soil just south of the cave (boost for 45 Herblore here if needed). Now attempt to refill your bowl again to discover the pool is now dry.
Bravery potion[edit | edit source]
To make the potion you need Ardrigal and Snake weed, which you found once already through the Jungle Potion quest. Mix the herbs into the vial of water (in either order) to make the bravery potion. You can drink it now to save space.
Finding the water source[edit | edit source]
- Radimus notes, axe, machete, pickaxe, 1-2 lockpicks, rope, blessed gold bowl and bravery potion.
- Unpowered orb and runes/staff to cast any Charge Orb spell. Bring 2 sets if taking the long path and you don't intend to bank between the two descents of the cave. Be on normal spellbook.
- Food and potions to fight the three warriors followed by Nezikchened. If taking the long path and teleporting out of the cave, you can restock before fighting Nezikchened.
- Bring boosts needed to access the cave again.
When you reach the area with the seven pools, head further to where another door is. Cast any Charge Orb spell on it to go through. You'll find yourself in a room with several barrels in it. You can smash them to reveal things like food, rope, weapons, or sometimes enemies. For now though, ignore them.
Use your rope on the winch and be sure you drank your bravery potion before heading down into the depths. If you've brought along a Salve amulet, now is the time to equip it. If the rope disappears, just search the winch again so it reappears and then go down.
You'll be on the top of a long, winding path with several rocks covering it. The blue wizard hat to the right of the ladder is the spirit of Viyeldi, which you can take to talk to or skip past for now. Climb over these rocks to the bottom of the path, but be warned. If you fall off, you can take extremely heavy damage (40+), depending on where you fell. You may also be immediately attacked by one of the three warriors mentioned below.
Once at the bottom, you'll see three groups of different undead warriors named Ranalph Devere (level 92), Irvig Senay (level 100), and San Tojalon (level 106), who will drop the lump, hunk, and chunk of crystal, respectively. Approach them and fight them individually. There are multiple of each warrior in the room. If you are using Ranged or Magic, hiding behind one of the empty ore rocks allows you to safespot them. Once you've defeated them, they won't attack again. Take the crystals over to the furnace to the north-east, and put them in to make a glowing heart crystal.
Go south to the shimmering field and look at the minimap. If you haven't noticed already, the area to the north-northwest looks like the head of a dragon.
Go to where the eye is, and use the crystal on a mossy rock there. It will glow. Go back to the shimmering field, place the crystal in the heart-shaped recess next to it, and pass through the barrier. On the other side of the barrier are three lesser demons, and past them to the west is the source of the pure water.
The second battle[edit | edit source]
You'll notice that there is a boulder blocking the water flow. Try to push it, and a spirit named Echned Zekin (which is an anagram of Nezikchened) will appear. He'll say he's being tortured and beg you to help him by killing the spirit, Viyeldi. He'll give you a dark dagger to do so.
If you have no intentions of killing Viyeldi, you still have to accept the dagger from Echned, as the dagger must be given to Ungadulu in order to proceed with the quest.
There are now two paths to choose from.
- Note: Players who leave the cave will need another Charge Orb spell to get through the door again. You will not need another rope or bravery potion.
The short path[edit | edit source]
Note: If you choose the short path, you will have to fight the three undead warriors again in the final battle!
Do as the spirit asks. Walk back to the rock path with the blue wizard hat that you climbed down, and climb the rocks back up to the very top (you cannot fail here).
You may have noticed a blue wizard hat on the way in—maybe even tried to pick it up. If you did, you met a spirit named Viyeldi, who Echned wanted you to kill. Stab him with the dark dagger; then, go back to the boulder.
Before pushing the boulder, proceed to the southern boulder if you wish to safespot Nezikchened. Tell Echned Zekin that you did as he asked. Nezikchened will reveal himself and attack the player, draining the player's Prayer.
After the battle, push the boulder out of the way of the water's flow.
The long path[edit | edit source]
Items required: Dark dagger; the same items as for Finding the water source, including another unpowered orb and runes to cast any Charge Orb spell (but you will not need another rope or bravery potion).
- Skip the "long path" if you did the short path.
Bank if desired. Go back to the beginning of the cave, investigate the fire wall and Ungadulu's magic will allow you to pass through the fire wall safely. Use the dark dagger on Ungadulu. He will recognise the evil in the dagger and take it from you, giving you a Holy Force spell card, which will reveal the spirit's true form.
Now, head back down to the bottom once again. You'll have to use another Charge Orb spell to get back in (including another unpowered orb). Search the winch to make the rope reappear.
At the bottom, you'll have to fight Nezikchened again. Choose the southern boulder if you wish to safespot him. Push the boulder and Echned will appear again. Do not tell him you lost the dagger or he will damage you. To start the fight, cast the Holy Force spell (left-click on the card) when Echned is near you, and he will transform into Nezikchened and attack you. At the start of the battle, your Prayer will be halved. Nezikchened fights with a very ineffective magic attack at the beginning of the battle, and he'll soon realise that it doesn't work and will switch to melee. Defeat him however you like, then push the boulder out of the way of the water's flow.
- Note: If you don't kill Nezikchened fast enough, he will reset, causing you to have to push the boulder again to talk to him. The combat will reset, and he will have full health as well as drain your prayer again.
Restoring the totem[edit | edit source]
Items required: Radimus notes, axe (rune or higher required to cut the yommi tree), machete, bull roarer, yommi seeds, blessed gold bowl, and any equipment/potions/food you need for the most difficult battle of this quest.
- Note for Ironmen: Do not make the yommi totem until you have all the magic logs you need! If you stop receiving logs at some point (6+ trees with no logs), leave the Kharazi Jungle and come back. Based on anecdotal evidence, standing directly adjacent to the trunk of the tree seems to give logs more often. Allowing a yommi tree to die and then chopping it down has a chance (seemingly 1 in 4) to yield magic logs, rarely multiple sets. At the minimum Herblore requirement to plant the tree, about 192 seeds should be enough to get 16 magic logs accounting for a high (66%) failure rate from planting the seeds. When a dead tree is chopped down, the soil is damaged, so the player will have to hop worlds or move to another spot. It's possible to walk/run between two fertile soils and plant two yommi trees at once.
Return to the pure water pool, which is now restored. Fill up your bowl and use your water on the seeds to germinate them, then use the bull roarer to call Gujuo for instructions on what to do next. Fill the bowl again. Find a fertile patch of soil - it will be bare of vegetation and brown on the map. Plant the germinated seeds in the fertile soil and wait for the tree to grow. If it says you planted the seeds incorrectly, just keep trying until it works (the chance of planting it successfully is based on your herblore level). Once the tree reaches the second stage, use your bowl of water on it. The third and final stage is the adult yommi tree. Use your axe on it, and keep doing this until you've chopped all the branches off and shaped it into a yommi totem. You'll know it's done when you can pick it up.
- Note: Keep alert, because once the Yommi tree has reached the adult stage, you'll have only a brief window of time where you can cut it, or it will go rotten, and you will need to start again.
If you lose all your seeds, you can always go back and get more from Ungadulu in the cave. Remember to germinate them with the sacred water.
The final battle[edit | edit source]
Now, find any of the locations where there's an old, brown totem. One is located just east of the pool, but there are others all over the forest. Once you find one, make all the preparations you need to fight. Turn on Protect from Melee and use your new totem on the old one.
Note: you cannot replace the totem if you have inspected it recently. Wait a short time for it to return to its default state.
When Nezikchened spawns, he will say his dialogue and begin attacking you! You are immobile while he is speaking and can take heavy damage, so it is highly recommended to turn on Protect from Melee before replacing the totem to be safe.
If you chose the short path, you will need to kill the three undead warriors you saw down in the dragon cave once again. He will summon them one at a time, going from the strongest to weakest in terms of combat level. After each hero is killed, make sure that Protect from Melee is up as the interlude repeats, and Nezikchened will freely hit you four times on three occasions, which can deal a lot of damage if he gets lucky with his hits. Low levels should note that if you kill the three undead warriors and then leave, you will not have to fight them again upon returning.
If you took the long path, Nezikchened will not summon the undead heroes because Viyeldi is protecting them, but be cautious as he will hit four times before the fight.
Nezikchened will attack and drain your prayer. He attacks with Melee and Magic, which is much more effective this time. He doesn't use Magic that much if you melee him. Using Ranged, Magic, or a halberd from between the trees with Protect from Magic on will allow you to defeat him without losing health.
- Warning: If you take too long to fight him, he will disappear. When you resummon him, he returns with full health.
Finishing up[edit | edit source]
Return to Radimus Erkle with the Radimus notes and gilded totem (fairy ring code blr), who will then let you into the guild. He will train you in one of 12 various skills of your choice up to four times. After all the experience rewards are claimed, the quest is complete.
Congratulations! You have completed the Legends' Quest!
Rewards[edit | edit source]
- 4 Quest points
- Access to the Legends' Guild (including shop to buy the cape of legends)
- The ability to wield the dragon sq shield
- 7,650 experience each in four skills of your choice (limited to Attack, Defence, Strength, Hitpoints, Prayer, Magic, Woodcutting, Crafting, Smithing, Herblore, Agility, Thieving. It is possible to choose the same skill several times).
- The ability to charge your Skills necklace or Combat bracelet at the Legends' Guild or the Fountain of Rune.
- Access to the Kharazi Jungle and a vine shortcut into it, requiring 79 Agility.
- Radimus Erkle will provide replacement dark daggers, which can be investigated via right-click to switch appearance between a dark or glowing dagger.
Transcript[edit | edit source]
Required for completing[edit | edit source]
- Dragon Slayer II
- Recipe for Disaster/Freeing Sir Amik Varze (you only need to have started Legends' Quest to talk to Radimus Erkle about Recipe for Disaster)