|Lunar Diplomacy (#109)|
|Released||24 July 2006 (Update)|
|Lead developer(s)||Tim C, James B|
- 1 Details
- 2 Walkthrough
- 2.1 Part 1 - The Ship
- 2.2 Part 2 - Moonclan Island
- 2.3 Part 3 - Dream World
- 2.3.1 1. A game of chance (green/yellow southwestern platform)
- 2.3.2 2. Communicating in numbers (pink southeastern platform)
- 2.3.3 3. Chop, Chop, Chop away! (blue northeastern platform)
- 2.3.4 4. Where am I? (white north-western platform - pink on iOS)
- 2.3.5 5. The race is on! (yellow-green eastern platform)
- 2.3.6 6. Anything you can do... (teal southeastern platform)
- 2.3.7 The fight
- 3 Rewards
- 4 Required for completing
- 5 Trivia
Details[edit | edit source]
|Start point||Go to the westernmost dock of Rellekka, and talk to Lokar.|
|Description||Can you make it to Moonclan Island and make peace between the Moonclan and the Fremenniks?|
If you cannot obtain a bullseye lantern, bring:
|Enemies to defeat|
Walkthrough[edit | edit source]
Note: You must keep your Seal of passage, once obtained, on you at all times while on the Lunar Isle. If you do not, you will be teleported off of the isle if you try to talk to any NPC. The lantern given during the quest does not come with oil in it, so bring a lightable regular bullseye lantern. If you put the emerald lens in the given lantern, drop it and ask for a new lens, which you then use on your working brought bullseye lantern.
Part 1 - The Ship[edit | edit source]
- Take your tinderbox, your choice of transport to Rellekka, and talk to Lokar Searunner on the westernmost dock of Rellekka. He will tell you about the Moon Clan.
- Talk to Brundt the Chieftain in the longhall, and get a seal of passage. Keep it with you at all times when you're on the Lunar Isle or any related areas, or else you'll get teleported back to Rellekka, even when the quest is over. Note: If you lose or destroy the seal and have a placeholder for it in your bank, Brundt won't give you a replacement until you remove the placeholder.
- Talk to Lokar again to sail to the Pirates' Cove. Climb the ladder on the dock you arrive at in order to board the Lady Zay.
- Talk to Captain Bentley on the ship and ask him to sail you to the Lunar Islands. The ship will proceed to only sail around the island in a circle, befuddling the captain. Talk to the Captain again. Note: You and the captain must be on the boat and not the docks in order for the story to progress.
- Talk to the navigator 'Birds-Eye' Jack, found at the rear of the lower deck.
- Talk to the captain again to ask what happened, and suggest it was the navigator's fault.
- Talk to the navigator again — he will mention a jinx being put on the ship.
- Talk to the captain, and he will tell you to talk to members of the crew for help.
- Talk to 'Eagle-eye' Shultz, located on the same deck as the captain at the far northern end of the ship. He will tell you about jinxes.
- Talk to the Cabin Boy up one deck from the captain (south).
- Talk to 'Beefy' Burns on the lowest most deck (go down two decks to where the navigator is. Then, go north and climb down the stairs and south to the galley (kitchen) area to find him).
- Talk to 'Lecherous' Lee next to the cabin boy on the uppermost deck.
- Talk to First mate 'Davey-boy' (same deck as the captain).
- Talk to the cabin boy, who will now confess to placing the jinx. (Make sure you have two empty inventory spaces.) You should now have received an emerald lantern lens and an unfinished lantern (if the cabin boy didn't give an unfinished lantern, one may be in your bank)
- Use the lens on the working lantern you brought, not the bullseye lantern (unf) the cabin boy gave (if you accidentally use it on the unfinished lantern, drop it and talk to the cabin boy to receive another emerald lens), to get an emerald lantern. Use a tinderbox on the lantern to light it.
- If you couldn't bring a functional bullseye lantern, you will have to fuel the lantern yourself by doing the following:
- Pick up swamp tar from a tar barrel. You can find one in 'Birds-Eye' Jack's room. Another one is located on the dock, right next to the gangway.
- Head to the still inside the Chemist's House in Rimmington.
- Use your swamp tar on it.
- Combine the emerald lens with the lantern the cabin boy gave, and use the emerald lantern on the lamp oil still to fill it with lamp oil.
- If you couldn't bring a functional bullseye lantern, you will have to fuel the lantern yourself by doing the following:
- Next, you need to find five symbols and wipe them all away. The seals are on the following locations (use your lantern on the object to reveal the symbol):
- Big and metal: The eastern cannon by the cabin boy (if this didn't work, try the other cannon).
- Wallchart: Same floor as Captain, towards the rear of the ship in the First Mate's cabin. Use your lantern on the north-western wallchart.
- Chest: Northern Chest on the lowest deck, near the stairs.
- Crate: Two stacked crates on the lowest deck, near the cook.
- Support: Support column on the lowest deck, near the cook.
When all the seals are wiped, talk to the captain again, and sail to Moonclan Island!
Part 2 - Moonclan Island[edit | edit source]
Make sure to keep your seal of passage in your inventory at all times!
There is a bank and a general store on Moonclan Island, so you can get items here. Find Meteora in the village; she is on the southwestern side of the village by the wall. She will tell you that although they don't have a leader, the Oneiromancer will be able to help you more than anyone. Walk to the southeastern part of the island, and find the Oneiromancer (near the Astral altar), who tells you that you will need three things (which must be done in the following sequence).
Waking sleep potion[edit | edit source]
Talk to Baba Yaga in the chicken house in the village (north of the bank in the fenced area — it walks like a chicken). She will give you a special potion bottle, and tell you that you need a guam leaf, marrentill and a crushed Suqah tooth.
First, fill the empty vial with water; then travel to the south-east again, and kill a Suqah (level 111). Suqah can be safespotted using the tree on the path to the Oneiromancer. The tooth does not drop every time, but it's fairly common. Make sure to also pick up their hides, as you will need four (4) of them later on. (Note that you do not need to get all four hides now, as you will be killing more Suqah to obtain the amulet later, so wait until you speak to Meteora to start collecting them as they are heavy.) They also drop guam and marrentill herbs. Once you have a tooth, add the guam leaf and marrentill to the vial, and then crush the Suqah tooth with the pestle and mortar to get a ground tooth. Add the ground tooth to the vial and then talk to the Oneiromancer again to give her the potion.
Lunar staff[edit | edit source]
Items needed for this part of the quest: Dramen staff (that you are willing to lose - bring several if you want multiple free lunar staves), necessary items to access all four (air, fire, water, and earth) elemental rune altars (requires either the corresponding talismans or tiaras, an elemental talisman, or access to the Abyss).
Talk to the Oneiromancer to give her the potion before starting the staff. You won't be able to make lunar staves after this next part (and must pay 30,000 coins for more), so it is advisable to make more than one. Take your dramen staff (or staves) to all four elemental altars in this order: Air, Fire, Water and Earth. Once there, 'use' the staff on each of the four altars.
The lunar staff or staves you create will change names depending on which step you are currently on in enchanting it. Only enchanting it with the air element labels the staff 'Lunar staff pt 1', with air and fire 'Lunar staff pt 2' and so on and so forth. After the fourth enchantment of earth, it becomes a lunar staff that you are unable to equip until you are able to wear clothes of the Moon Clan.
- If you want to have more than one lunar staff, turn all of the dramen staves into lunar staves BEFORE turning in one of your lunar staves to the Oneiromancer for the quest.
- If using fairy rings to transport yourself, bring one regular dramen staff with you to use for fairy rings. However, once you give a lunar staff to the Oneiromancer, any extra you previously made will become equippable AND can be used to access fairy rings.
Take the staff to the Oneiromancer to proceed. The Oneiromancer will keep one of your lunar staves until you have made a set of lunar clothing.
Ceremonial clothes[edit | edit source]
These consist of eight different items:
- Helm - Take your pickaxe and hammer, and travel north-east of the island, and you should find a dungeon. You must run past some Suqah, which may cast Ice Barrage, to reach it. Once inside, mine any stalagmite to get some lunar ore. Only one lunar ore is needed to craft the Helm, but if you plan to do Fremennik Exiles later, you can save some time by getting three additional ores now. There is a furnace and anvil in Rellekka where you can smith the helm. You can return to Rellekka quickly by destroying the Seal of passage, and speaking to any of the lunar citizens. (Remember to speak to Brundt for another seal, before you return to the island.)
- Cape - Talk to Pauline Polaris to the north-western side of the village. You have to guess her name; first guess Pauline and then after receiving a clue, choose Jane Blud-Hagic-Maid.
- Amulet - Talk to Meteora in south part of the village. She'll tell you that she'll swap her amulet for her tiara that she lost to one of the Suqah. Kill Suqah to get it back (it can take five or more Suqah kills to get the tiara) and keep the hides until you have four (you will need them for the next step), and then exchange the tiara for the amulet.
- Torso, Gloves, Boots and Legs - Speak to Rimae Sirsalis at the clothes shop; she will tell you that she can tan Suqah hides for 100 coins each. Collect four Suqah hides if you haven't already, get them tanned, and with some thread, use a needle on the Suqah leather to make the four items. (She sells needles and thread.)
- Ring - Speak to Selene near the centre of the village; she will give you a riddle. Take a spade, and travel round outside the southern side of the village to the west until you come to a bridge. Dig on the blue flowers to the very south-west of the island, as shown in the picture. Make sure you complete the dialogue or else you will not receive the ring.
Take all items back to the Oneiromancer, and she will give you all your obtained items back (make sure you have 11 free inventory spots) plus some kindling that was obtained from the first ever magic tree and a waking sleep vial.
- Note: If you logout or are disconnected while in the Dreamland, you will have to go get another set of vial and kindling from the Oneiromancer (your progress in the Dreamland will be saved). It is recommended to use the kindling on the vial, drop the soaked kindling, and talk to the Oneiromancer again to obtain a second vial and kindling.
Return to the village and from the bank grab runes to cast Combat spells on the boss, some food and possibly Agility boosts (e.g. agility potion), tinderbox, and if you wish, an axe of any type (but not necessary because one is obtainable later). Make sure you don't bank the seal of passage or you will have to go get it from another bank before you can continue the quest. Equip all of the lunar items that you acquired, including the lunar staff; if not, when you use the kindling on the brazier, it will not work and you have to get another kindling and take another waking sleep vial from the Oneiromancer.
Important: Do not take any "combat items" with you (shields, potions, weapons) aside from an axe.
Enter a long building on the western side of the village that has a ceremonial brazier and a staircase inside. You cannot change your equipment within the Dream World, so it is recommended to bring runes to cast Combat spells on the boss. Use your waking sleep vial on your kindling, light the brazier with your tinderbox, and use the kindling on the brazier.
Part 3 - Dream World[edit | edit source]
You are now in the Dream World. Talk to the Ethereal Man or Ethereal Lady at the centre of the Dreamworld, where they will tell you that you need to face six puzzles. At the edges of Dreamland are stone portal-like things; step into them to attempt each puzzle. After completing each puzzle, talk to the man or lady in the centre again to discuss what the challenge has taught you.
1. A game of chance (green/yellow southwestern platform)[edit | edit source]
The Ethereal Fluke's challenge involves dice. You need to get the dice to add up to the numbers that the Ethereal Fluke calls out, but it's not as random as it seems; the dice only have two possible combinations when you roll them, corresponding to the number opposite them on a die. Opposite sides of a die always add up to 7, meaning the following:
- Centre dice are worth either 1 or 6
- East dice are worth either 4 or 3
- West dice are worth either 5 or 2
When the puzzle resets, the initial value will always come out to 21. Based on this, one can easily solve this puzzle with a little addition or subtraction.
- Flipping a 1 will add 5 to the total
- Flipping a 2 will add 3 to the total
- Flipping a 3 will add 1 to the total
- Flipping a 4 will subtract 1 from the total
- Flipping a 5 will subtract 3 from the total
- Flipping a 6 will subtract 5 from the total
Example solve: the Ethereal Fluke asks for 20, so flip a 4 over to reach the goal.
|12||1, 1, 2, 2, 3, 3|
|13||1, 1, 2, 2, 3, 4|
|14||1, 1, 2, 2, 4, 4|
|15||1, 1, 2, 5, 3, 3|
|16||1, 1, 2, 5, 3, 4|
|17||1, 1, 2, 5, 4, 4|
|18||1, 1, 5, 5, 3, 3|
|19||1, 1, 5, 5, 3, 4|
|20||1, 1, 5, 5, 4, 4|
|21||1, 6, 2, 5, 3, 4|
|22||1, 6, 2, 5, 4, 4|
|23||1, 6, 5, 5, 3, 3|
|24||1, 6, 5, 5, 3, 4|
|25||1, 6, 5, 5, 4, 4|
|26||6, 6, 2, 5, 3, 4|
|27||6, 6, 2, 5, 4, 4|
|28||6, 6, 5, 5, 3, 3|
|29||6, 6, 5, 5, 3, 4|
|30||6, 6, 5, 5, 4, 4|
Once finished, you'll be taken back to the centre. Tell the Ethereal Man/Lady what you've learned and enter the next puzzle.
2. Communicating in numbers (pink southeastern platform)[edit | edit source]
The Ethereal Numerator's challenge is to complete mathematical sequences by pressing the correct floating numbers. The Ethereal Numerator will call out a sequence, and you must figure out the pattern and press the next two numbers. For example, if the sequence is 1, 4, 2, 5, the first answer is 3 (1, 4, 2, 5, 3) and the next answer is 6 (1, 4, 2, 5, 3, 6).
It is possible to get the same sequence more than once. A list of possible sequences follows:
|0, 1, 3, 4||6, 7|
|1, 1, 1, 2, 1, 3, 1, 4||1, 5|
|1, 1, 2, 2, 3||3, 4|
|1, 1, 2, 3, 1, 1, 4||5, 1|
|1, 2, 3||4, 5|
|1, 3, 5||7, 9|
|1, 4, 2, 5||3, 6|
|1, 6, 2, 5||3, 4|
|1, 9, 2, 8||3, 7|
|2, 3, 5, 6||8, 9|
|2, 6, 3, 7||4, 8|
|3, 4, 2, 5||1, 6|
|7, 3, 6, 2||5, 1|
|8, 6, 4||2, 0|
|9, 7, 5||3, 1|
|9, 8, 7, 6||5, 4|
3. Chop, Chop, Chop away! (blue northeastern platform)[edit | edit source]
This is a simple Woodcutting game, wherein all you must do is chop more logs than the Ethereal Perceptive. The goal is to be the first one to stack 20 logs in the centre on the "Deposit Log pile". If you're limited on inventory spaces, simply chop a few at a time and then stack them and continue cutting, but note that once you have deposited 20 logs, you'll be unable to pick up your items. The Ethereal Perceptive supplies a bronze axe if you don't have an axe of your own. This is one of the easier challenges.
4. Where am I? (white north-western platform - pink on iOS)[edit | edit source]
This challenge tests your memory. Speak to the Ethereal Guide, you have to jump between platforms hoping not to find the false platforms that will collapse and return you to the start.
5. The race is on! (yellow-green eastern platform)[edit | edit source]
A simple Agility test. Beat the Ethereal Expert to the end of the passage by jumping four hurdles whilst he walks a straight path. This is fairly easy though an Agility potion and a small amount of food might help because failing a hurdle will cost you 8 Hitpoints. Upon reaching the end of the path, be careful not to click out of the dialogue with the Ethereal Expert, or you will have to race again.
6. Anything you can do... (teal southeastern platform)[edit | edit source]
A mime-copying game, very similar to the mime random event. Simply copy the emotes the Ethereal Mimic uses. After each emote, the mime will nod if you are correct or shake no — don't copy this yes or no emote!
The fight[edit | edit source]
- Note: If the fight doesn't start after the white screen, you will need to try again for a few times (up to 10-15?), it will eventually let you in. Also, try dropping your axe and then talking to the guide, or dropping your axe and picking it up again before talking to the guide.
Once you've completed all the challenges, talk to the guide in the centre, and he will ask if you are ready to face the ultimate challenge. Say that you are, and you get to face "Me", a level 79 opponent who's pretty easy and is geared to your stats. You will occasionally be teleported around this arena, but this is more annoying than dangerous. The chats are quite amusing from "Me", so listen out!
Congratulations! Quest complete!
Tip: Speak to Baba Yaga before leaving Lunar Isle to unlock the Ourania Teleport spell. If you intend on doing this, switch spellbooks to the Lunar spellbook at the altar next to the Oneiromancer before going to Baba Yaga.
Rewards[edit | edit source]
- 2 Quest points
- 5,000 Magic experience
- 5,000 Runecraft experience
- A seal of passage
- Access to Lunar Isle and Lunar equipment
- Access to the Lunar spellbook
- Access to the Astral altar
- 50 Astral runes
Required for completing[edit | edit source]
Completion of Lunar Diplomacy is required for the following:
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- After you give Meteora her special tiara, she still seems to be wearing the Lunar amulet on her head on her chathead and in-game.
- Meteora's dialogue is a subtle reference to the way a peasant speaks to King Arthur in the movie Monty Python and the Holy Grail.
- Having the Book o' piracy in your inventory at the start of the quest modifies some of the pirate's conversation with you.
- Before you enter the dream, if you re-obtain the kindling and potion from the Oneiromancer and then soak the kindling and drop it, you are left with an empty lunar vial; you can fill this up with water again and mix in a guam leaf and a marrentill once more for 84 Herblore experience per herb. However, you cannot empty out the vials and must go through dialogue to get more of them.
- During the quest, Captain Bentley tells the player he stole the ship from a Karamjan port and that the doors were too small for his crew. This is a reference to the Grand Tree Quest, in which Glough, a gnome, commissioned ships to be built at the Shipyard on Karamja for his gnome army.
- At a certain point when speaking to Captain Bentley, you start the dialogue by saying "Oh captain, my captain." This is a reference to the poem of the same name by Walt Whitman, popularised by the film Dead Poets Society.
- In the "Communicating in Numbers" section of the Dream World, the examine text for the number 3 is, "The magic number." This is a reference to the Schoolhouse Rock! song "3 Is A Magic Number."
- In the "Chop, Chop, Chop Away!" section of the Dream World, the examine text for the pile of logs is, "Like a pile of memes."
- The examine text of a Suqah tooth is: "The tooth, whole tooth, and nothing but the tooth" which is a reference to the legally binding oath that is used in The United States' courts before a witness testifies.
- When examining the Mimic, the text reads "I wanna be like you-ooo-ooo!" This is a reference to King Louie from The Jungle Book.