|Released||25 March 2002 (Update)|
|Woodcutting XP||250 xp|
|Respawn time||119.4 seconds|
|Examine||The tree shimmers with a magical force.|
|Examine||This is what is left of a magic tree.|
|Object ID||1761, 4537, 5127, 8396, 8397, 8398, 8399, 8400, 8401, 8402, 8403, 8404, 8405, 8406, 8407, 8408, 8409|
A magic tree is a rare type of lumber tree that requires level 75 Woodcutting to chop down, providing 250 Woodcutting experience per set of magic logs received. The chop rate of magic logs is noticeably slower than that of yews, but does significantly increase at level 85+ Woodcutting. There is a high demand for the logs due to how long it takes to chop them, and since there are not many trees, it can be hard to find a vacant one. They are mainly cut by players looking for an income through selling magic logs, rather than gaining experience due to their slow experience rate. Magic trees are unique in that they are the only tree with an area sound.
Tree locations[edit | edit source]
Magic trees are considered rare trees for the purpose of the rare trees minimap icon . Magic trees are shown on the Worldmap and minimap as a bushy tree . The rare tree icon and the bushy tree image are shared with several other trees, so the icon and image does not directly mean it is a magic tree. Magic trees can be found in these locations:
- 4 immediately north-west of the Sorcerer's Tower
- 2 at the Mage Training Arena (one on the west side and one on the east side) just north of the Duel Arena - Relatively close to a bank
- 3 scattered across the Gnome Stronghold. These Magic Trees do not exist in Deadman mode worlds.
- 3 south-west of Lletya
- 4 in the north-western quadrant of Prifddinas
- 4 south of Seers' Village at the Sorcerer's Tower
- 4 on the ground floor of the Myths' Guild.
- 3 in Resource Area (7500 coins entry fee, can note logs 50 coins each on Piles)
- 4 east of the Arceuus bank
- 2 directly north of Logava Gricoller's Cooking Supplies in Hosidius
- 8 in the Woodcutting Guild (requiring 60 woodcutting and 75% Hosidius favour to enter) - very close to bank
- 3 south of the Woodcutting Guild in the Kourend Woodland
- 2 south & 2 east of Hosidius Bank
- 8 can be found at the Forsaken Tower
Additional Drops[edit | edit source]
- Beaver – Magic trees have a chance to drop the beaver Woodcutting pet. At level 75 Woodcutting there is a 1 in 70,446 chance to receive the beaver and a 1 in 69,846 chance at level 99.
- Bird Nest – There is 1 in 256 chance to drop from magic trees. The bird nest will be dropped on the ground and will despawn after 30 second if not picked up. The Bird nest will be given in place of logs.
- Clue nest – Magic trees can drop all clue nests. At level 75 Woodcutting there is an approximately 1 in 413 chance to receive an easy-elite clue nest and a 1 in 363 chance at level 99. Beginner clue nests have a universal 1 in 1000 chance to be dropped.
- Crystal shard - Magic trees cut in Prifddinas have a chance to drop crystal shards. There is a 1 in 80 chance to receive a crystal shard when a log is received. 
Mechanics[edit | edit source]
Magic trees have a 1 in 8 chance of depleting when receiving a log, and a respawn time of 199 ticks or 119.4 seconds. A roll to receive a log is done every 4 game ticks when chopping. The chance to successfully chop is affected by the axe used and Woodcutting level, better axes and a higher woodcutting level increases the likelihood of successfully receiving a log.
Farming[edit | edit source]
Planting a magic sapling requires level 75 Farming and grants 145.5 Farming experience when planted and 13,768 exp when fully grown, for a total of 13,913.5 experience. It takes 7 hours and 40 minutes to fully grow. A nearby gardener will watch after your magic tree for 25 coconuts. Players may also use a garden pie, player made or bought at the Cooks' Guild for 24gp, to boost Farming by 3 and plant at level 72 Farming. You do not need to boost Farming to check-health on any trees.
Lore[edit | edit source]
There are several mentions of magic trees by NPCs around Gielinor as well as in books. The following text is transcluded from Gielinor's flora - trees. The information found within the book is more often than not just flavour text, and does not reflect their properties or uses within the game itself.
A rare type of tree that is typically only found in locations of magical power. Magic trees have a sort of parasitic relationship, feeding off magical energy in order to survive. This method of sustaining itself imbues the tree with magical energy, making its wood some of the most prized. Practitioners of the magical arts often encourage the growth of these trees as they can act as a siphon, preventing excess magical energy causing any unwanted issues. Although heavily associated with magic, the most skilled farmers have found success cultivating these trees.
References[edit | edit source]