The Main Menu is the initial login screen on the game client. Once the client has been loaded (either by being launched locally or launched through the Old School RuneScape website), the main menu will appear. You can login to the game from the main menu or create a new account. You can also adjust the volume straight from the main menu as well as switch between worlds.
The appearance of the main menu, for the most part, remains the same throughout the year. However, they are usually changed to commemorate major content releases, as well as during Halloween and Christmas events. For a gallery of past login screens, see here.
Features[edit | edit source]
New User[edit | edit source]
This is the first option on the main menu. Clicking this option will direct you to the main create-an-account page on the main RuneScape website.
Existing User[edit | edit source]
This is the second option on the main menu. Clicking this option will prompt you to enter your RuneScape username and password, in order to play the game.
Login[edit | edit source]
This option overrides "New User" and "Existing User" and acts as the latter when playing on Old School RuneScape Mobile.
Forgotten Password[edit | edit source]
Accessed by typing in an incorrect or empty password for any username or email. Opens the appeal page that asks for recovery information.
World Select[edit | edit source]
At the bottom-left of the main menu shows the current selected world that the player will login to. It can be changed by clicking it, which will then show all available free-to-play and members worlds along with the amount of players in each world.
Music[edit | edit source]
At the bottom-right of the main menu is an icon which shows whether the background music is either on or muted. It can be toggled by simply left-clicking.
The music also changed during these updates:
- Farming - Scape Ground
- Construction - Scape Home
- Hunter - Scape Hunter
- Monkey Madness II - Scape Ape
- 2018 Birthday event - Scape Five
- Theatre of Blood - Welcome to the Theatre
- Song of the Elves - Scape Crystal
- Nex - The Ancient Prison
- Tombs of Amascut - Into the Tombs
Changes[edit | edit source]
|1 November 2013
The login screen's world-picker interface now uses red buttons for PvP worlds to help make them more distinctive.
|17 September 2013
The login screen's Mute button now remembers your choice.
|22 March 2013
(update | poll)
Pressing 'Enter' will now log you in after typing you username/password on the login screen.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Occasionally the flames from sconces form shapes related to RuneScape, such as runes, the skull and crossbones indicating that the player is in the Wilderness, and the overhead skull.
- The login screen accepts the inputs of special and punctuation characters, such as
. : ; " ' , ?, into the password field. However, when a user creates an account or changes their account password, these characters are not allowed in the password as only letter and number characters are allowed in the account password.
- A person cannot login to their account if they are already logged in the same account in RuneScape. A message stating that the previous/current account session has not ended, if the player tries to login with that account in Old School RuneScape.
- In Zamorak Considers Some Issues, Zamorak calls the torches the Flames of Lloigh-enn (a Celtic-sounding pun on "log in"): "The flames of Lloigh-enn are an often rumoured, almost mythical, barrier between various dimensions, that require a spell recited most precisely, that is different for each individual who wishes to pass through."