|Released||4 January 2001 (Update)|
|AKA||gold pieces, gp|
|Store price||Not sold|
Coins (also referred to as gold pieces, gp, gold, or simply money) are the most common form of currency in Gielinor. They are used among players and non-player characters alike to exchange for items and services.
Players often refer to one thousand (1,000) coins as 1k and one million (1,000,000) coins as 1m or 1mil. Both can be applied to larger numbers, for example, 10m refers to ten million coins (10,000,000). More rarely, 1b or 1bil refers to one billion coins (1,000,000,000).
Alchemy spells, which create coins, cannot be cast on coins. If a player attempts it, a message will inform the player that "Coins are already made of gold." Curiously, other items made of gold, such as gold ore and gold bars, can be turned into coins with Alchemy spells.
Terminology[edit | edit source]
Alternate terms for coins have seldom seen official usage since RuneScape Classic was replaced by RuneScape 2. Very few NPCs use any other term than "coins," a few examples being the Blast Furnace foreman in Keldagrim, who calls them "GP" as he prefers to associate coins with the metal at the expense of proper terminology, and the glassblower on Entrana, who calls them "gold pieces." The term "gp" is sometimes used in abbreviations such as on the right-click menu of the Al-Kharid gates, which includes the option "Pay-toll(10gp)" to pay the toll and go through.
Spawns[edit | edit source]
- 3 coins spawn in the Varrock West Bank basement. More can be telegrabbed from the locked room.
- There are a few coin spawns in the room with Elvarg.
- There are a few coin spawns in the Taverley Dungeon near ghosts.
- There are a few coin spawns in the Haunted Mine.
- There are a few coin spawns in the King Black Dragon's den.
- There are a few coin spawns in the Asgarnian Ice Dungeon.
- There are some 5-coin spawns in Varrock Sewers near the red spiders.
- Asking Anja in Rimmington for some free stuff will lead to a long dialogue, followed by Anja giving 1 to 3 coins.
- There are coin spawns of various sizes all over the Wilderness.
- There are 7 coins that spawn in the Edgeville Dungeon.
Real world trading[edit | edit source]
Some players purchase coins in exchange for real-world money using websites such as eBay or dedicated cash-for-items websites. This is known as real world trading. Although players can potentially gain monetary value within RuneScape by such means, this method is not recommended, as Rule #12 of the RuneScape Code of Conduct forbids the trading of RuneScape items for items outside of RuneScape, and if engaged in can result in a player ban.
With the release of Old school bonds, however, players may legally acquire RuneScape coins using real-world money, albeit indirectly, by buying bonds from Jagex and selling them in-game to other players or on the Grand Exchange.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Coins appear in the inventory as plain flat discs, but during Grim Tales, it is revealed that coins have more intricate designs imprinted on their faces.
- During the quest Shilo Village, there is an item that looks like coins in one of the tunnels; however, it can be picked up only by use of Telekinetic Grab. These coins are non-stackable and untradeable. If a player tries to pick them up without Telekinetic Grab, they will be attacked and the coins will turn to dust.
- The maximum number of coins in a stack is 2,147,483,647, because RuneScape uses 32-bit signed integers to store values, which are unable to represent a higher number. Theoretically it would be possible to use higher values by storing them in larger data types like long (64-bit integer with a maximum value of 9,223,372,036,854,775,807).