Killing skeletal wyverns
Level 70+ weaponry and gear
|Player-owned house located in Rimmington or Fairy ring code AIQ for easier access to the dungeon|
|Inputs (71,583)||Outputs (768,248)|
|3 × Divine super combat potion(4) (45,855) Or 3 x Divine ranging potion(4) (8,205)48 × Monkfish (25,728) Or 230 x Runite bolts (31,510) if ranging||50 × Wyvern bones (69,000)0.005 × Draconic visage (11,721)0.098 × Dragon platelegs (15,747)0.098 × Dragon plateskirt (15,750)0.098 × Granite legs (3,803)1.56 × Earth battlestaff (13,989)11.72 × Battlestaff (97,055)1.17 × Rune axe (8,455)0.78 × Rune battleaxe (19,128)0.78 × Rune warhammer (19,233)0.78 × Rune full helm (16,100)0.78 × Rune kiteshield (25,042)527 × Air rune (2,637)70.31 × Rune arrow (2,742)234 × Water rune (1,172)125 × Chaos rune (5,625)70.31 × Law rune (8,367)62.5 × Death rune (12,250)39.06 × Blood rune (13,281)102 × Adamant bolts (12,030)46.29 × Runite bolts (6,342)7.81 × Soul rune (1,125)8.2 × Herbs (7,839)781 × Pure essence (781)82.03 × Magic logs (83,344)23.44 × Adamantite bar (45,539)234 × Iron ore (9,375)7.81 × Uncut ruby (9,055)3.91 × Uncut diamond (10,188)1,406 × Coins (1,406)18.75 × Lobster (3,094)5.47 × Prayer potion(4) (54,064)58.59 × Unpowered orb (7,676)0.78 × Runite crossbow (u) (7,263)2.34 × Ranarr seed (95,590)0.78 × Snapdragon seed (43,091)1.17 × Rare drop table (9,351)|
The profit rate assumes 50 kills per hour. Your actual profit may be higher or lower depending on your speed.
Skeletal wyverns are Slayer monsters with a high Combat level that require high-level gear and 72 Slayer. They are commonly killed for their profitability due to valuable drops, such as 35 noted magic logs, 10 noted battlestaves, and 10 noted adamant bars in addition to a chance at dragon armour pieces and the elusive Draconic visage. The average skeletal wyvern kill, including its unique drops, is worth 18,041.96. Without unique drops, the average kill is worth 17,101.
Players can reach skeletal wyverns by using a player-owned house teleport while their house is located in Rimmington or using a scroll of redirection to create Rimmington teleports. The quickest and easiest method is using the fairy ring code AIQ. This process takes up to 2 minutes assuming you use a stamina potion(1) to run all the way. Thus players should min-max to stay as long as possible per trip. This includes burying wyvern bones, when you have the supplies to last longer, to make space in your inventory rather than banking.
Players must use an elemental shield/mind shield/dragonfire shield/dragonfire ward/ancient wyvern shield to avoid taking massive damage from the skeletal wyverns icy breath attack. Antifire potions will have no effect.
Although skeletal wyverns are highly resistant to range attacks, players commonly attack them using range via the door safespots by trapping a skeletal wyvern on one side of the cave entrance and ranging it from there only after they become tolerant. There are many more safespots using the pillar in the center and in the western area. While the skeletal wyverns are aggressive the player can pray protect from missiles to avoid most damage until they are tolerant at which time the player can lure the skeletal wyverns to a safespot to avoid all damage.
When safespotting the player should be camping (no banking) skeletal wyverns. This is done by fighting the skeletal wyverns until they are tolerant of the player (takes 10 minutes), then using safespots to avoid all damage, burying/not picking up wyvern bones and using high level alchemy on rune equipment/dragon equipment/granite legs/earth battlestaff drops. Ranging skeletal wyverns and not taking advantage of this strategy may net you a few more kills/hr but requires a lot more attention because you have to worry about getting hit by the skeletal wyverns range attack, losing health, banking, etc. If players wish to maximise their kills/hr they should melee skeletal wyverns.
Melee, on the other hand, is the most effective combat style to use against them. Players should have 80+ , , before attempting to kill skeletal wyverns with melee as they will be exposed to all attacks including an ice breath attack which can freeze. Bringing barrows/bandos/obsidian armour and an abyssal whip is good enough to kill skeletal wyverns as they are equally weak against slashing and crushing attacks, despite being skeletal. They are actually resistant to stabbing attacks despite being draconic. Players should be wary if they are frozen by the ice breath as the skeletal wyvern may change aggression towards another player, and there is more than enough time for another player to kill-steal it.
Additionally, Magic may also work. However, as magical defensiveness is mostly based on the target's Magic and only partially the target's Defence level, spells may splash often. Players will also most likely lose profit if using high-levelled spells to fight wyverns, even though powered staves are capable of safespotting wyverns.
The ancient wyvern shield gives players immunity to the skeletal wyvern's icy breath attack. Thus giving players immunity to being frozen, allowing them to attack the skeletal wyverns more (increasing kills/hr). Additionally the shield is good for melee players who want to pay less attention because when the player is frozen they are knocked out of combat so in order to attack the skeletal wyvern the player must have auto retaliate on and wait to be attacked (wasting several seconds) or click on the dragon after being frozen.
Kills per hour estimates and methodology
- 40+ kills/hr (721,678 gp) with 80+ , blessed dragonhide armour/void knight equipment, dragon crossbow (not dragon hunter crossbow), amulet of fury and runite bolts. Relying solely on prayer potion drops for prayer.
- 50+ kills/hr (902,098 gp) with 80+ , , , obsidian armour/barrows armour, abyssal whip and dragonfire shield. Relying solely on prayer potion drops for prayer.
- 70+ kills/hr (1,262,937 gp) with 90+ , armadyl armour/elite void knight equipment, dragon hunter crossbow, necklace of anguish and runite bolts. Relying solely on prayer potion drops for prayer.
- 75+ kills/hr (1,353,147 gp) with 90+ , , , bandos armour, dragon hunter lance (on crush attack style) and dragonfire shield/ancient wyvern shield. Relying solely on prayer potion drops for prayer.
- Add about 10 kills/hr if using eagle eye/ulitimate strength + incredible reflexes at all times (requires the player to bring additional prayer potions).
- Add about 20 kills/hr if using rigour/piety at all times (requires the player to bring additional prayer potions).
- Subtract about 7 kills/hr if using safespots because you will have to wait a few seconds between kills for the skeletal wyvern you are camping to respawn.
- 80+ kills/hr (1,443,356 gp) if camping/safespotting with best in slot gear and max stats due to relying on prayer potion drops and a few second respawn timer. This strategy is of particular interest because it competes with killing brutal black dragons as the best low intensity combat money maker. The exception to this would be if the player is rich enough to afford a twisted bow then brutal black dragons would still be better gp/hr
- 110+ kills/hr (1,804,196 gp) if using best in slot gear, max stats and banking once per hour for more food/prayer potions.
- Praying can be done 33% or more of the time just using prayer potions that drop from skeletal wyverns. With the additional kills the player gets from using offensive prayers they are better off using the prayer potions rather than keeping them to sell.
- Runite Bolts increase kills/hr enough so that they are worth the extra cost over broad bolts. Better bolts are not worth the additional cost.
- If the player is ranging skeletal wyverns with the dragon hunter crossbow; void knight equipment/elite void knight equipment is always better but blessed dragonhide armour/armadyl armour is not far behind.
- When using a dragon hunter lance players should put their attack style on crush because skeletal wyverns are resistant to the stab attack style.
- A dwarf multicannon can be placed in the skeletal wyvern's cave further increasing kills/hr but more testing on this strategy must be completed to determine whether the cost of cannonballs is worth the increased kills/hr. Up to the player to try it out for now.
It is strongly recommended to check the live prices on the Grand Exchange before making large investments in any method.
All prices on this page are cached, meaning it is possible that they appear out of date.
To force a new cache of this page, click this link.
If a money making method is out of date, you can edit it or leave a message on the talk page.