Smelting steel bars at Blast Furnace
|30 (60+ recommended)|
|Started The Giant Dwarf|
|Inputs (1,602,216)||Outputs (2,041,200)|
|72,000 × Coins (72,000) Furnace fees5,400 × Iron ore (280,800)5,400 × Coal (1,198,800)9 × Stamina potion(4) (50,616)||5,400 × Steel bar (2,041,200)|
Although level 30 Smithing is required to smith steel bars, level 60 is strongly recommended so that you don't have to pay an entrance fee to the Blast Furnace. It provides a great opportunity for players to reap great profits by producing a large volume of steel bars (worth 378 each), which are used by low-to-mid level smiths.
With moderate attention, you can produce between 3,000 and 5,400 steel bars in an hour. That means the profit margin falls between 189,384 and 438,984 hourly.
This money making method requires you are on an official Blast Furnace world. Bring with you coal, iron ore, sufficient stamina potions, and at least 72,000 coins. Deposit the coins into the coffer to be allowed to use the furnace by the dwarves operating it. The coffer will remove 1,200 coins every minute automatically. Start first run by placing coal on the conveyor belt, so you don't make iron bars. In the next runs place iron ore on the conveyor belt first, then emptying your coal bag of coal and depositing that right after. Run to the right of the bar dispenser then retrieve your bars by clicking on it (if ice gloves are equipped) or dousing it with a bucket of water and then collecting the bars. Repeat this process until you either run out of ore, or the coffer is empty.
The coal bag allows you to bring 27 extra pieces of coal with you each trip from the bank to the furnace. Without using one, you should expect to earn a little more than one-half of the output totaling up to 189,384 hourly and up to 52,500 Smithing experience.
After traveling to Keldagrim once, the city and the Blast Furnace can be easily accessed by using the travel option on the trapdoor on the inside west-wall of the Grand Exchange.
Some key points for those who might be new to using the blast furnace, which can be found on the Blast Furnace page:
- The furnace has an interior buffer of 254 ore.
- The output has only a buffer of 28 bars of each type.
- Iron ore will immediately turn into iron bars if coal is not in the furnace.
- If the output already has 28 steel bars and you put more iron onto the conveyor, this iron will be turned immediately into iron bars - even if there is adequate coal in the furnace. If more is placed, the iron ore will just sit in the furnace until room is made.
- Placing iron ore, then emptying the coal bag and placing the coal ore onto the conveyor is not fast enough, and will result in iron bars being made instead of steel bars. To mitigate this, initially place 26-28 coal into the blast furnace before starting your runs of iron+coal inventories. That way, there is always a buffer of coal in the furnace, meaning no iron bars will ever be made by accident.
- If you are below 60 Smithing, you must pay the Foreman 2500gp every 10 minutes manually on top of the 72000 gp/h drained from the coffer. The coffer will continue to drain even if you do not currently have the permission of the foreman.
|Level||Money making guides||Profit||Bars/Hour||XP/Hour|
|15||Smelting iron bars||207,384||6000||75,000|
|30||Smelting steel bars||438,984||5400||94,500|
|50||Smelting mithril bars||496,584||3600||108,000|
|70||Smelting adamantite bars||708,984||2700||101,250|
|85||Smelting runite bars||997,534||2150||107,500|
It is strongly recommended to check the live prices on the Grand Exchange before making large investments in any method.
All prices on this page are cached, meaning it is possible that they appear out of date.
To force a new cache of this page, click this link.
If a money making method is out of date, you can edit it or leave a message on the talk page.