The Mysterious Old Man teleports players to the Maze and Mime random events, or simply hands out items in a similar way to Rick Turpentine to Free-to-play players. In the Maze random event, complete the labyrinth as quickly as possible, faster for better rewards. In the Mime random event, copy the emotes of the mime artist.
A player interacting with the Mysterious Old Man.
Before the Optional Randoms update, he would also occasionally give the player a strange box instead of teleporting them off to the Maze or the Mime, unless their inventory was full. The strange box presented the player with a puzzle asking them which shape contains which number or which number is in which shape. The rewards from this random could be very generous, as you could get a half key from the Mysterious prize box. The man obtained these boxes from a village in the Eastern Lands.
Drop rates estimated based on 5,819 samples from the Drop Rate Project, unless otherwise cited.
The average Mysterious Old Man reward is worth 472.33.
- The Mysterious Old Man appeared before the Bandits of the Golden Claw on two occasions. During the first he appeared before the group, who were not sure how he got into the cave system, only leaving after Davey spoke to him. On the second occasion, the group ignored the Mysterious Old Man, resulting in them being teleported away.
- If the Mysterious Old Man spawns underwater, he will be wearing diving gear.
- If the Mysterious Old Man spawns underwater, members can also receive a singular item akin to how he works for free-to-play players.
- The Mysterious Old Man can be found upstairs in a house in eastern Falador, saying he is trying to solve a puzzle-cube and that he is retired.
- During Crack the Clue III, the Mysterious Old Man will appear and let you into the vault to loot the chests and claim your reward.
- ^ Mysterious Old Man. Postbag 1: "Poultry, Dragons and Zombies". Letter 9. RuneScape Postbags from the Hedge. Jagex.
- ^ Arthur Artimus in Feathered journal. Old School RuneScape. "A mysterious old man turned up today. Not sure how he got in. Kept pestering us until eventually Davey spoke to him, at which point he offloaded a load of spinach rolls onto us then left."
- ^ Arthur Artimus in Feathered journal. Old School RuneScape. "That mysterious old man has turned up again. We don't have time for this, quite frankly, so we're just going to ignore him, after all what could be possibl..."