|Released||5 January 2022 (Update)|
|Examine||Even the gods fear her.|
|Max hit||33 Magic|
50 Smoke Bullet special
50 Shadow Smash special
80 Blood Sacrifice special
60 Containment special
75 Ice Prison special
|Attack style||Magic, Ranged, Melee|
Nex is one of Zaros' most powerful followers. She is imprisoned in the Ancient Prison, sealed away beneath the God Wars Dungeon. An immensely powerful entity and one of Zaros's most powerful weapons of war, Nex is a nihil from Freneskae and possesses physical traits of the icyene, demons, aviantese and vampyres.
Nex's Ancient Prison is locked behind the frozen door in the southern part of the God Wars Dungeon, and can only be opened by assembling the frozen key, whose pieces are dropped during The Frozen Door miniquest, by the generals and bodyguards of each of the warring factions in the dungeon: General Graardor, K'ril Tsutsaroth, Commander Zilyana, and Kree'arra. This in turn requires a base level of 70 Hitpoints, Ranged, Strength, and Agility in order to reach Nex. Up to 60 players can fight Nex per encounter.
History[edit | edit source]
Imprisonment[edit | edit source]
Following the Betrayal of Zaros in the Second Age, a group of Zarosians were working to secure the area around the Mahjarrat ritual site (found south-east of Weiss today) to gain the upper hand. The leader of these Zarosians was Nex. Gaining power whenever she battled, Nex was considered unstoppable.
Around the beginning of the Third Age, the forces of Saradomin, realising the threat Nex posed, eventually planned and successfully lured Nex, alongside her army, into a large icy cavern. Here, they enchanted them into a frozen sleep, albeit with massive casualties. Afterwards, the Saradominist forces built the Temple of Lost Ancients around it, known today as the God Wars Dungeon.
Many years after that event, a flock of aviantese were ambushed by an army of demons while transporting a newly created Godsword through the Trollheim mountains. Because of their small numbers, they were forced to retreat into the Temple of Lost Ancients. Eventually, reinforcements arrived from each side and the battle grew. Thus the battle of the godsword began.
Escape and re-imprisonment[edit | edit source]
Much later, Saradominist priests, one of them being Ashuelot Reis, were approached by one of their own. The priest, knowing that his fellow priests grew weary from the endless wars, revealed to them that he had secretly converted to Guthixian teachings. Encouraging his fellow priests to join him, they abandoned the cause of Saradomin and became followers of Guthix.
Their new leader, the former Saradomin priest, taught them the druidic ways, including an ancient ritual that had the power to awaken Guthix himself, who they believed can end the God Wars. However, after the priests and their leader performed the ritual, it was discovered that the ritual actually woke Nex rather than Guthix, and that it also destroyed the enchantments that sealed the Ancient Prison, releasing Nex and her army in the process. Their leader, who had tricked the priests into freeing Nex, was revealed to be Sliske, a Zarosian Mahjarrat.
Due to the length of her enchanted sleep, Nex was not at full strength. Despite this, she quickly laid waste to vast numbers from all sides. Rapidly gaining power, the four factions fighting for the Godsword temporarily formed an alliance and managed to drive Nex and her forces back into their prison, but the magical protections that contained them could not be fully restored.
Fight overview[edit | edit source]
Nex spawns in her chamber shortly after a player or team of players pass through the ancient barrier within the Ancient Prison. The fight consists of five distinct phases based on the Ancient Magicks: with Nex using smoke, shadow, blood, and ice magic, before entering an empowered final state.
In order for the fight to progress, Nex's hitpoints need to be reduced to a threshold, after which the mage who empowers her magic must be killed, which will then lead to the next phase.
Bodyguards[edit | edit source]
- Fumus (Magic, Smoke) - Attackable at 2720 hitpoints
- Umbra (Magic, Shadow) - Attackable at 2040 hitpoints
- Cruor (Magic, Blood) - Attackable at 1360 hitpoints
- Glacies (Magic, Ice) - Attackable at 680 hitpoints
Drops[edit | edit source]
In order to obtain drops from Nex, the player must deal a set amount of minimum damage. Getting a drop from Nex is considered a kill in the log. Nex drops a large lump of items upon death, which is determined by team size, and the share players receive from it is based on the player's total damage to Nex, her minions, and any reavers during the encounter. Two common drops are guaranteed after each kill.
The MVP has a 10% drop increase for common drops and increased chance of obtaining unique loot.
Drop rates estimated based on 158,203 kills from the Drop Rate Project, unless otherwise cited.
100%[edit | edit source]
Big bones are only dropped for the MVP, the player who dealt the most damage to Nex.
Uniques[edit | edit source]
There is an effective 1 in 43 chance of rolling the unique drop table per kill. It is possible to receive multiple unique drops per kill with multiple players, which is calculated based on the number of players and their individual contributions towards the kill. Below lists the effective drop rates, which are for each kill, rather than for each player.
|Torva full helm (damaged)||1||1/258||168,122,388||120,000|
|Torva platebody (damaged)||1||1/258||367,771,294||360,000|
|Torva platelegs (damaged)||1||1/258||319,884,398||240,000|
Runes & ammunition[edit | edit source]
|Dragon bolts (unf)||12–90||Common||20,124–150,930||1,008–7,560|
|Onyx bolts (e)||11–29||Uncommon||95,777–252,503||99,000–261,000|
Resources[edit | edit source]
|Air orb||6–20 (noted)||Common||8,226–27,420||1,080–3,600|
|Runite ore||2–28 (noted)||Uncommon||22,404–313,656||3,840–53,760|
|Uncut ruby||3–26 (noted)||Common||3,438–29,796||180–1,560|
|Uncut diamond||3–17 (noted)||Common||9,114–51,646||360–2,040|
|Wine of zamorak||4–14 (noted)||Common||3,916–13,706||0|
Consumables[edit | edit source]
|Prayer potion(4)||1||Common[d 1]||9,166||114|
|Saradomin brew(4)||2||Common[d 2]||16,504||240|
|Super restore(4)||1||Common[d 2]||10,715||180|
- Sharks and Prayer potions are dropped together
- Saradomin brews and Super restores are dropped together
Other[edit | edit source]
|Ecumenical key shard||6–39||Common||Not sold||4,320–28,080|
Tertiary[edit | edit source]
|Clue scroll (elite)||1||1/48||Not sold||12|
Combat Achievements[edit | edit source]
|Nex Survivors||Kill Nex without anyone dying.||Restriction||Elite|
|Nex Veteran||Kill Nex once.||Kill Count||Elite|
|Shadows Move...||Kill Nex without anyone being hit by the Shadow Smash attack.||Mechanical||Master|
|Nex Trio||Kill Nex with three or less players at the start of the fight.||Restriction||Master|
|Nex Master||Kill Nex 25 times.||Kill Count||Master|
|A siphon will solve this||Kill Nex without letting her heal from her Blood Siphon special attack.||Mechanical||Master|
|There is no escape!||Kill Nex without anyone being hit by the Smoke Dash special attack.||Mechanical||Master|
|Contain this!||Kill Nex without anyone taking damage from any Ice special attack.||Mechanical||Master|
|Nex Duo||Kill Nex with two or less players at the start of the fight.||Restriction||Grandmaster|
|Perfect Nex||Kill Nex whilst completing the requirements for "There is no escape", "Shadows move", "A siphon will solve this", and "Contain this!"||Perfection||Grandmaster|
|I should see a doctor||Kill Nex whilst a player is coughing.||Restriction||Grandmaster|
Historical[edit | edit source]
As a piece of content brought into Old School RuneScape via backporting, Nex was originally released in RuneScape on 10 January, 2011. However, the Nex of Old School RuneScape has several differences which aim to address the issues with Nex's RuneScape counterpart and better adapt her for Old School RuneScape.
- Originally, players obtained four pieces of a frozen key (dropped by NPCs of each faction inside their strongholds). In Old School RuneScape, players must complete a miniquest, The Frozen Door, to open the frozen door, requiring completion of Desert Treasure and killing each of the God Wars generals or their bodyguards. The key is also a one-off use that grants permanent access to the Ancient Prison without having to bring and/or repair the key.
- In RuneScape, the killcount to reach Nex's chamber could be skipped by wearing ancient ceremonial robes; however, as ecumenical keys exist in Old School, the robes do not have the ability to skip killcount, though it gives the stats of monk robes rather than being purely cosmetic.
- New rewards were proposed rather than copying Nex's drop table as it was in 2011.
- The mechanics of the boss fight received some modifications and balancing tweaks to fit Old School RuneScape, though the fight is still largely similar to how it was in 2011.
- Voice acting is not present for the fight.
- Nex's combat stats were modified:
Combat stats 2012 3,000 315 260 260 350 350 2021 3,400 315 200 260 230 350 Aggressive stats 2012 +200 +0 +90 +0 +180 +0 2021 +200 +20 +100 +22 +150 +5 Defensive stats 2012 +140 +140 +140 +600 +160 2021 +40 +140 +60 +300 +190
[edit | edit source]
On 20 October 2021, a teaser to Nex and the Ancient Prison was quietly added, much like the original teaser released on 20 December 2010 in RuneScape; the frozen doors by the entrance to Armadyl's Eyrie were given an open option, and attempting to open the doors results in a chatbox message stating "You try to open the door, but it doesn't seem to budge."
After attempting to open the doors, a Strange Voice will speak in the chatbox, speaking one of six phrases. However, unlike the original teaser in 2010, there is no voice acting present.
- "All those who oppose us will perish..."
- "Face me and know despair..."
- "Give me the power of shadow..."
- "Mortals, only death awaits you here..."
- "My revenge will be great..."
- "You cannot imprison me forever..."
Changes[edit | edit source]
|20 July 2022
The player who dealt the most damage to Nex is now broadcast at the end of the encounter.
|13 April 2022
Nex will now consistently spawn a Blood Reaver when fought with two players.
|30 March 2022
The chance of Nex rolling the unique drop table was reverted to 1/43.
|23 February 2022
Combat Achievements were added for Nex.
|19 January — 26 January 2022
|19 January 2022
Players can now cast Monster Examine on Nex.
|12 January 2022
|11 January 2022
Nex will now flip to another part of the chamber if she doesn't attack for a period of time, even if she's in the centre of the chamber.
|7 January 2022
Players who have completed the hard Combat Achievements can now have friends join their private instance when fighting Nex.
|6 January 2022
|5 January 2022
|5 January 2022
(update | poll)
Nex and the Ancient Prison are now fully accessible.
|16 December 2021
Nex was added to the game, but could not be reached or fought.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- "Nex" translates to "murder" or "death" in Latin.
- After Nex's release, the main menu was changed to an artistic depiction of the Frozen Door. The flames of the pillars depict the symbol of Zaros instead of runes. In addition, The Ancient Prison is played.
- Upon release, players could not cast Monster Examine on Nex. If players attempted to do so, a message appeared in the game chat stating "You can't find out their stats". This was confirmed by Mod Kieren to be intentional in order to add an element of mystery to bosses on release, and the spell was re-enabled in the game update two weeks later.
References[edit | edit source]
- Ashuelot Reis, Old School RuneScape. "Although their god was gone, many Zarosians fought to keep his empire alive."
- Ashuelot Reis, Old School RuneScape. "She [Nex] was Zaros' most powerful weapon, and she led a great army to try and restore his empire. Not that she needed an army of course. Nex alone was powerful enough to hold back hundreds of lesser beings."
- Ashuelot Reis, Old School RuneScape. "The forces of Saradomin knew that Nex needed to be dealt with. They were able to lure her into these caverns."
- Ashuelot Reis, Old School RuneScape. "After great effort and sacrifice, they managed to place Nex and her followers into a frozen, enchanted sleep."
- Ashuelot Reis, Old School RuneScape. "Once Nex was no longer an immediate threat, they built the Temple of Lost Ancients around her. Most of the temple has since fallen to ruin, but you can still see some of the remains."
- Ashuelot Reis, Old School RuneScape. "Later in the war, a great battle broke out in the Temple of Lost Ancients. I was a Saradominist soldier at the time, and I was among those who fought for him in that battle."
- Ashuelot Reis, Old School RuneScape. "...many of us had grown tired of war. One of our priests discovered this. He came to us and revealed that he felt the same way, and that he had secretly converted to Guthix."
- Ashuelot Reis, Old School RuneScape. "He encouraged us to join him. We abandoned the cause of Saradomin and became followers of Guthix."
- Ashuelot Reis, Old School RuneScape. "Our new leader taught us the ways of the druids, including an ancient ritual that had the power to awaken Guthix himself. We believed this ritual to be the only way to end the war."
- Ashuelot Reis, Old School RuneScape. "When our leader led us to perform the ritual, it was not Guthix we woke, but Nex and her forces. The ritual also destroyed the protective enchantments on their prison."
- Ashuelot Reis, Old School RuneScape. "I never saw him [the priest] again. He never gave us his true name, but as Nex was freed, she spoke to him... I heard little of what they said, but I did hear what she called him. Sliske."
- Ashuelot Reis, Old School RuneScape. "Nex posed such a danger, that the four armies temorarily joined forces to drive her back into the prison. They resealed it, but were unable to fix the enchantments we destroyed."
- Jagex. "Nex Drop Table Changes & Monster Examine". 13 January 2022. (Archived from the original.) Old School RuneScape News. "After rolling 1/[43 (as of 30 March 2022)] for the unique table, the chances for a specific item are:
- Torva armour: 2/12 for each piece
- Nihil horn: 2/12
- Zaryte vambraces: 3/12
- Ancient hilt: 1/12"
- Jagex. Mod Arcane's Twitter account. 23 June 2022. (Archived from the original on 22 July 2022.) Mod Arcane: "[Could you clarify a bit on how Nex unique drops work? Wiki says it's 1/43, but is that per kill for everyone or per kill per person? Seems like it's per kill for everyone, but then how are double drops possible?] It is 1/43 divided by contribution If two players had 50% contribution then the boss would effectively have two 1/86 rolls. ...Additionally the MVP bonus is a 10% bonus to one player after that, so in reality it's a little more common than 1/43 per boss kill."
- Jagex. Mod Ash's Twitter account. 10 August 2022. (Archived from the original on 10 August 2022.) Mod Ash: "1/48"
- Jagex. "Nex Drop Table Changes & Monster Examine". 13 January 2022. (Archived from the original.) Old School RuneScape News. "Nexling is based on 1/500, rolled independently from the Unique Table listed above."
- Jagex. Mod Ash's Twitter account. 19 July 2022. (Archived from the original on 15 September 2022.) Mod Ash: "No, multiple people can get the roll on each kill, with their individual chance affected by their contribution. Looks like it's roughly that, with a little bonus chance if you were the MvP."
- Jagex. Mod Ash's Twitter account. 24 September 2021. (Archived from the original on 29 March 2022.) Mod Ash: "[Would you be able to share her original stats?] I don't know the details of what's planned there, but in ~2012 she had: Attack 315, Strength 260, Defence 260, 30k lifepoints (call it 3k Hitpoints), 350 Ranged, 350 Magic. Accuracy: +200 melee, +90 magic, +180 ranged. Defence: +140 stab/crush/slash, +600 magic, +160 ranged."
- Jagex. "Guardians of the Rift Improvements". 30 March 2022. (Archived from the original.) Old School RuneScape News. "Now that the dust has settled and meta's have been established, we'd like to revert her unique drop rates back to their original rate of 1/43 instead of the current 1/53 to better reflects the kills/hr we had intended during our internal testing."
- Jagex. Old School RuneScape's Twitter account. 11 January 2022. (Archived from the original on 11 January 2022.) Old School RuneScape: "We've just deployed a hotfix that allows Nex to flip if she doesn't attack for a period of time, even if she's in the centre of the room."
- Jagex. Old School RuneScape's Twitter account. 5 January 2022. (Archived from the original on 5 January 2022.) Old School RuneScape: "To help improve the overall Nex encounter whilst player activity levels are high, we've made a small tweak. When wearing either a Gas mask, Facemask or Slayer helm, the duration of the cough effect as part of her smoke mechanic will be reduced slightly."
- Mod Kieren. Nex: The Fifth General - Weekly Game Update (January 5th 2022). Reddit. 17 December 2015. (Archived from the original on 5 January 2022.) Mod Kieren: "Just to confirm this [disabling Monster Examine for Nex] is intentional, we were discussing it only in last week about adding this mystery back. If popular it may be something we do with future bosses too."