|Release date||5 September 2013 (Update)|
|Reward currency||Nightmare Zone Points|
The Nightmare Zone is a combat-based minigame that is located north of Yanille, northwest of the bank. The minigame involves players having "dreams" to fight bosses they have fought before in quests. It is run by Dominic Onion, who is a mage from Lunar Isle. This minigame is safe, meaning you will not lose items on death; however, any items you drop manually on the ground will be lost if you die, as you will be taken away from the arena.
History[edit | edit source]
Dominic did not plan on calling his business the Nightmare Zone; it was what the local folk have been calling it. The plan came to him in a vivid dream when he was younger where he saw himself running a successful business from a great structure. He told his father about it, who laughed and said he should be a banker like his ancestors. He refused and wanted to find out what that dream meant, so he studied to find out more about Magic, particularly oneiromancy and dream interpretation. Once he had learned enough, he left Lunar Isle attempting to find the location where he built the huge tower. Since he had not found it or gathered enough money for its construction, he decided to set up a small business north of Yanille selling dreams to people.
Getting there[edit | edit source]
- Using the teleport option located in the mini-game tab, which is the fastest way of getting there.
- Casting Watchtower Teleport and walking east.
- Casting Teleport to House when your house is in Yanille, or re-directing a teleport to house tablet to Yanille using the scroll of redirection.
- Using fairy ring code CLS and walking north-west[?], or CIQ and walking through Yanille.
- Using a ring of dueling to teleport to Castle Wars, then walking to Yanille.
- Using the Spirit tree to teleport to Tree Gnome Village and walking from there.
- Using the Ardougne cloak 1 to teleport to the Monastery and walking south.
Requirements[edit | edit source]
To begin the game, the player must complete at least five quests required to access the minigame:
Playing[edit | edit source]
The minigame requires coins to be put into the coffer. Coins can be deposited into and withdrawn from the coffer in multiples of 1000, to a maximum of 262,143,000 coins. The amount of coins needed for each mode varies according to the type of mode respectively:
- Practice mode is free, requiring no coins.
- Endurance mode requires 1,000 coins for normal mode, and 5,000 coins for hard mode.
- Rumble mode requires 2,000 coins for normal mode, and 6,000 coins for hard mode.
- Customisable rumbles requires 22,000 coins for normal mode, and 26,000 coins for hard mode. Players who have the maximum amount of quest points will have the cost reduced by 10,000 coins.
Let's Get Ready to Rumble![edit | edit source]
Game modes[edit | edit source]
There are 3 modes of play in Nightmare Zone as follows: practice, endurance, and rumble.
All modes have a 'Normal' or 'Hard' difficulty which can be applied.
- Normal - In normal mode, quest monsters are fought at the original levels they were at in their respective quests.
- Hard - Hard mode doubles the hitpoints, attack, strength, magic, and ranged levels of the bosses where applicable. Their defensive stats remain unchanged.
Once the player chooses a mode to participate in, money is deducted from the coffer, and Dominic prepares the dream potion on a plinth, which when drank will bring you into the Nightmare Zone arena. Those who wish to spectate can drink the spectator potion and enter the name of the player whom they wish to spectate.
You do not need to bring the required quest items needed to finish off bosses; for example, the Black Knight Titan will die without the use of excalibur, and items such as magic secateurs will be provided for Tanglefoot and an anti-dragon shield for Elvarg, and runes will be provided for Chronozon and the Dagannoth mother. All items provided this way have "(nz)" at the end of their names, indicating that they will disappear if taken out of the Nightmare Zone. Magic experience from casting spells by using "(nz)" runes is heavily reduced (This does not apply to the magic experience received from dealing damage.)
NOTE If you log out inside the arena you will log in outside of the Dream World.
Practice[edit | edit source]
Players can select a single boss which you have previously defeated in a quest to fight 1-on-1 until either boss or player dies. No experience is given and no Nightmare Zone points will be awarded for defeating the boss. Drops, such as Dragon Bones from Elvarg, WILL be awarded on defeat of the boss.
Endurance[edit | edit source]
Fighting every boss the player has unlocked 1-on-1 in waves until the player either dies or defeats all bosses available, gaining Points for each boss defeated (see Points Awarded in the 'Bosses' section below).
Rumble[edit | edit source]
This mode allows you (or a group of friends) to fight multiple randomly generated bosses at once. When you kill any single boss another one will spawn in its place endlessly until the player dies. This mode requires all players in the group to have the coins required for participating. Bosses encountered in a rumble are those that all players in the group can access. Reward points are rewarded for boss kills (points split between teams, see 'Bosses' section Note).
To start a rumble, one player must speak to Dominic and he/she must invite participating players within the enclosure. Those that leave the enclosure will automatically leave the group. Once the hosting player drinks the Dream potion, players in the group will be prompted to either join the shared dream or leave the group.
It can last six hours in rumble mode if you don't die within it.
As of 10 March 2016, players can select their own set of bosses within the dream by selecting the customisable options after selecting Rumble mode. Customisable dreams require 22,000 coins for normal mode, and 26,000 coins for hard mode. Players who have the maximum amount of quest points will have the cost reduced by 10,000 coins. However, points obtained within customisable rumbles are reduced compared to that of regular rumbles, depending on how many bosses you remove. Having another player who has fewer quests completed host the rumble does not increase points gained.
Power-ups[edit | edit source]
In Rumble mode, there are power-ups that spawn somewhere in the arena randomly and gives a player a temporary advantage against the bosses within the arena. There are four power-ups, each with an individual colour denoting its use:
- Recurrent damage - Red in colour, using this power-up deals extra damage whenever you hit. The extra damage does NOT give exp. The extra damage is dependent on your initial damage, damaging the monster 3/4 of the initial damage. For example, hitting a 35 will deal an extra 26 damage upon the monster. This power-up lasts 45 seconds.
- Zapper - Purple in colour, using this power-up damages nearby monsters. The zapper won't damage bosses that are immune to normal attacks (such as the Dagannoth Mother and Tanglefoot). This seems to have a max hit of 8. This power-up lasts 1 minute.
- Power surge - Yellow in colour, using this power-up fills the user's special attack bar and regenerates it by 20% per tick. This power-up lasts 45 seconds.
- Ultimate force - White in colour, using this power-up instantly kills all the bosses that are present in the arena. Points will NOT be gained for killing bosses in this manner
Power-ups disappear if they are not activated within 1 minute.
Bosses[edit | edit source]
The following table details the list of monsters that can be encountered within the Nightmare Zone; the more quests a player has completed, the more a player has access to. In Rumble mode, the only bosses that appear are those that all participating players have access to.
- Note: Point values increase based on the number of bosses included. These points are the maximum points that can be given (assumes ALL quests have been completed and ALL bosses included, not just those required for bosses below). If you are in a team, points are split between those who attacked the monster. The person who did the most damage will take a larger percentage of the maximum points from that monster.
- Also of note is that many bosses provide an increased Experience amount per damage dealt, such as Dad, Moss Guardian, Arrg, Slagilith*, and the Ice Troll King.
- The Slagilith doesn't actually give bonus Experience per damage dealt, it simply reduces damage from non-pickaxes while awarding the xp as if your original damage was dealt. IE. You get xp for hitting a 10 but only deal 4 damage. If you pick up the pickaxe that spawns in the arena, it will hit normally and give normal Experience.
|Name||Combat Level (Hard Mode)||Hitpoints (Hard Mode)||Defence Level||Attack style||Points gained (Normal)||Points gained (Hard)||Notes and precautions||Quest|
|Trapped Soul||30 (101)||30 (100)||20||Melee||34||783||The Ascent of Arceuus|
|Count Draynor||34 (177)||35 (210)||30||Melee||43||1,588||A hammer and stake are not required to kill him.
Regenerates 1 hitpoint each time you hit, unless you are carrying garlic. Kills count towards vampyre slayer tasks.
|Corsair Traitor||35 (103)||55 (160)||20||Magic||845||Can cast weaken which lowers your Defence by 10 per cast||The Corsair Curse|
|Sand Snake||36 (154)||60 (180)||20||Melee||61||1,178||The Depths of Despair|
|Corrupt Lizardman||46 (152)||50 (150)||38||Melee, ranged||4,827||Can poison the player damaging the player through absorption potions||Tale of the Righteous|
|King Roald||47 (188)||60 (150)||30||Melee||86||1,792||Shouts various humorous phrases.||What Lies Below|
|Witch's experiment||19, 30, 42, 53 (47, 77, 90, 103)||21, 31, 41, 51 (63, 93, 102, 113)||19, 29, 39, 49||Melee||111||513||Will use a glare that will drain players' stats, and four forms must be defeated before the player can progress further.||Witch's House|
|The Kendal||70 (210)||50 (150)||60||Melee||192||2,253||Mountain Daughter|
|Me||79 (201)||45 (135)||74||Melee||1,085||8,264||Initiates a humorous dialogue between them and the player as the fight progresses.||Lunar Diplomacy|
|Elvarg||83 (214)||80 (240)||70||Melee, Dragonfire||1,190||3,601||An anti-dragon shield is provided in the arena, and is a must to fight Elvarg. Without it, she will severely damage you and drain your stats, dropping them down to 1. This includes prayer! Kills count towards green dragon slayer tasks.||Dragon Slayer|
|Moss Guardian||84 (182)||120 (240)||60||Magic, Melee||1,225||6,818||This one uses Magic and melee and is more powerful (hits through prayer).||Roving Elves|
|Slagilith||92 (202)||60 (150)||75||Melee||1,471||8,264||Extremely weak to crush attacks; a pickaxe is provided in the arena.||One Small Favour|
|Nazastarool||91, 68, 93 (176, 153, 181)||100, 75, 110 (154, 180, 176)||80, 58, 80||Melee||1,506||6,611||Has three forms which the player must defeat in order to progress through the minigame.||Shilo Village|
|Treus Dayth||101 (194)||85 (240)||100||Melee||1,576||7,644||Does not possess cranes, pickaxes or mine carts, but will disappear and return briefly after a fair amount of damage is dealt.||Haunted Mine|
|Skeleton Hellhound||97 (198)||55 (132)||100||Melee||369||8,057||In Search of the Myreque|
|Dagannoth mother||100 (201)||100 (240)||81||Melee, Ranged||1,751||8,264||Weaknesses vary by colour: white is weak to air spells, blue is weak to water spells, orange is weak to melee, brown is weak to earth spells, red is weak to fire spells, and green is weak to Ranged.||Horror from the Deep|
|Agrith-Naar||100 (196)||100 (209)||82||Melee, Magic||1,753||7,851||Uses Magic and teleports player around only when out of Melee range. Silverlight is not required to finish him.||Shadow of the Storm|
|Tree spirit||101 (199)||85 (187)||80||Melee||400||2,176||Undead but no benefits .||Lost City|
|Dad||101 (201)||120 (240)||50||Melee||1,786||8,264||Can knock player back several spaces. Kills count towards troll slayer tasks.||Troll Stronghold|
|Tanglefoot||111 (199)||102 (204)||91||Melee||2,154||8,057||Can only be damaged by using magic secateurs, which are provided in the arena.||Fairytale I - Growing Pains|
|Khazard warlord||112 (192)||169 (256)||80||Melee||373||2,003||Tree Gnome Village|
|Arrg||171 (210)||150 (255)||40||Melee, Ranged||2,224||9,090||Will attack the player from a distance with ranged attacks. Kills count towards troll slayer tasks.||Troll Romance|
|Black Knight Titan||120 (210)||141 (255)||91||Melee||2,521||9,090||Excalibur is not required to kill him.
Extreme resistance to magic and range.
|Ice Troll King||122 (216)||150 (255)||80||Melee, Ranged, Magic||2,591||9,297||Using Protect from Melee will result in the king knocking you several squares back. It is recommended to use Protect from Missiles and drinking a dose of absorption to negate the magical damage he deals. Extreme resistance to magic and range. In rumble hard mode, customisable, the ice troll king will only use melee attacks.||The Fremennik Isles|
|Bouncer||137 (244)||116 (232)||120||Melee||3,274||12,190||Doesn't count towards hellhound slayer tasks.||Fight Arena|
|Glod||138 (276)||160 (255)||110||Melee||3,327||15,702||Has the chance to make players either run away in fear of the huge giant or charge at him in anger. He can disable any active Prayers on the player, and lowering their prayer points by a noticeable amount.||Grim Tales|
|Evil Chicken||159 (286)||120 (240)||126||Magic||4,413||16,735||Magic attack hits very low but frequently.||Recipe for Disaster - Sir Amik Varze|
|Agrith-Na-Na||146 (235)||200 (255)||82||Melee, Magic||3,730||11,363||Recipe for Disaster - Final battle|
|Flambeed||149 (238)||210 (255)||75||Melee, Magic||3,887||11,570||Like Fareed, ice gloves must be worn, or use water spells to attack.||Recipe for Disaster - Final battle|
|Karamel||136 (186)||240 (255)||100||Melee, Magic||3,222||7,024||Like Kamil, it drains stats very frequently so an overload is recommended.||Recipe for Disaster - Final battle|
|Dessourt||121 (217)||140 (255)||99||Melee, Magic, Ranged||2,556||9,710||Has an attack which is one part Magic, one part Ranged, each of which do double 5s for a total of 10 Hitpoints. Protect from Magic or Missiles is recommended to halve the damage received.||Recipe for Disaster - Final battle|
|Gelatinnoth Mother||130 (201)||240 (240)||81||Ranged, Magic||2,959||8,264||Uses Ranged and Magic attacks simultaneously. Like the Dagannoth Mother, weaknesses vary by colour: white is weak to air spells, blue is weak to water spells, orange is weak to melee, brown is weak to earth spells, red is weak to fire spells, and green is weak to Ranged.||Recipe for Disaster - Final battle|
|Culinaromancer||75 (209)||140 (255)||10||Melee, Magic||980||8,884||Magic attacks hit very high; Protect from Magic is recommended.||Recipe for Disaster - Final battle|
|Chronozon||170 (297)||60 (120)||173||Melee||5,061||18,181||All four blast spells are required to kill him. Runes are provided in the arena.||Family Crest|
|Black demon||172 (292)||165 (255)||152||Melee||5,166||17,561||Kills count towards black demon slayer tasks.||The Grand Tree|
|Giant Roc||172 (257)||200 (255)||100||Melee, Ranged||5,166||13,636||Has a special attack that will knock players several squares back and stun them. Beware of its Ranged attack where it will fling a rock towards the player; move away or receive large damage.||My Arm's Big Adventure|
|Dessous||139 (217)||200 (255)||99||Melee, Magic, Ranged||3,380||9,710||Like Dessourt, he uses a special attack that is both Magic and Ranged. Wind spells are very effective.||Desert Treasure|
|Damis||103, 174 (200, 272)||90, 200 (198, 255)||90, 160||Melee||5,288||15,082||After his first form is defeated, he will become far stronger and will drain Prayer at a high rate. Absorption potions are recommended.||Desert Treasure|
|Fareed||227 (299)||130 (255)||135||Melee, Magic||4,868||18,388||You must wear ice gloves in order to melee him, and since ice gloves are not provided in the arena, water spells are an effective alternative. He can hit very high without Protect from Melee. Note: Not wearing Ice Gloves while fighting Fareed with a FULL inventory will result in your weapon being dropped to the floor, and you will lose the weapon if you don't pick it up before dying.||Desert Treasure|
|Kamil||154 (273)||130 (255)||135||Melee, Magic||4,150||15,289||Freezes you very frequently. Using Protect from Magic will force him into melee range.||Desert Treasure|
|Nezikchened||187 (295)||150 (150)||167||Melee, Magic||6,112||17,975||Legends' Quest|
|Barrelchest||210 (380)||134 (255)||140||Melee, Ranged||6,322||29,752||Drains Prayer and Defence and turns off protection prayers.||The Great Brain Robbery|
|Giant scarab||191 (316)||130 (255)||169||Melee, Ranged||6,374||20,454||It is weak to stabbing attacks and Magic, and uses what appears to be earth Blast but is really a Ranged attack, so use Protect from Missiles. It will not summon reinforcements as it did during Contact!||Contact!|
|Jungle Demon||195 (327)||170 (255)||170||Melee, Magic||6,654||21,900||It is recommended to use Ranged attacks as it is weak to it, and can deal both high Magic and melee damage when in Melee range. In rumble hard mode, customisable, the jungle demon will only use melee attacks. The 10th squad will not be here to aid you like they did during Monkey Madness I.||Monkey Madness I|
|The Untouchable||274 (440)||90 (180)||434||Melee||13,134||39,876||Reflects a portion of melee/Ranged damage||Dream Mentor|
|The Everlasting||223 (365)||230 (255)||120||Melee||8,704||27,479||Has a very high Magic Defence; stab or Ranged attacks will deal better damage. Will be ignored by Zapper power-up||Dream Mentor|
|The Inadequacy||343 (600)||180 (255)||240||Melee, Ranged||20,595||74,380||Uses melee attacks only when within Melee range; otherwise, it will only use Ranged attacks. It will not summon doubts like it did during Dream Mentor.||Dream Mentor|
Rewards - Dom Onion's Reward Shop[edit | edit source]
The rewards for the Nightmare Zone are contained in a chest near Dominic Onion, and the rewards are split into three categories: Resources, Upgrades, and Benefits. These rewards can be purchased using Reward points obtained inside the minigame. A maximum of 2,147,483,647 points may be stored in the chest at once.
Resources[edit | edit source]
Note: The only item Ironman mode accounts may buy from the resources tab of the shop are scrolls of redirection.
*All players can only purchase 15 herb boxes per day.
|GP per point|
|Bucket of sand||∞||200||46||0.23|
|Dragon scale dust||∞||750||164||0.22|
|Herb box||∞||9,500||10,956.4[b 1]||1.15|
|Vial of water||∞||145||4||0.03|
|Scroll of redirection||∞||775||N/A||N/A|
- Herb box value approximated based on data from Herb box main page.
Upgrades[edit | edit source]
Upgrades can imbue certain items for reward points, increasing stats. The imbued black mask and slayer helmet enhances Magic and Ranged accuracy; and damage to assigned Slayer targets. Imbued rings have their combat bonuses doubled compared to their normal counterparts.
Imbuing it will add an (i) to its name and will have an "Uncharge" option. The uncharge option removes the imbued bonus, and will refund 80% of the points back.
To get all the possible imbues you would need a total of 7,885,000 reward points.
|Black mask (imbued)[c 1]||1,250,000|
|Slayer helmet (imbued)||1,250,000|
|Salve amulet (imbued)||800,000|
|Salve amulet (e) (imbued)||800,000|
|Ring of suffering (imbued)||725,000|
|Berserker ring (imbued)||650,000|
|Warrior ring (imbued)||650,000|
|Archers ring (imbued)||650,000|
|Seers ring (imbued)||650,000|
|Tyrannical ring (imbued)||650,000|
|Treasonous ring (imbued)||650,000|
|Ring of the gods (imbued)||650,000[c 2]|
|Granite ring (imbued)||500,000|
Benefits[edit | edit source]
Benefits include certain potions that can only be used within the minigame. Dominic's potions are sold by the dose. When you purchase a dose, it is automatically stored in the barrels until the player withdraws them. All Nightmare Zone potions, excluding overloads due to the damage dealt, can be drank extremely quickly, and like combo foods, you can actually drink 28 absorptions at the speed of cleaning an inventory of herbs, by clicking on them one by one, this can also be done with food/other potions with Nightmare Zone potions, without delaying any hits.
Changes[edit | edit source]
|25 July 2019
(update | poll)
|With the release of Song of the Elves, Crystal equipment no longer degrades from use and therefore are not able to be imbued.|
|4 July 2019
(update | poll)
|With the release of the Forthos Dungeon, red spiders' eggs have now been removed from the resource shop. Prior to its removal, it cost 300 points.|
|10 January 2019
(update | poll)
|With snape grass and potato cacti becoming farmable produce, they were removed from the resource shop. Prior to their removal, they cost 175 and 1,250 points respectively.|
|3 April 2014
|Items at NMZ no longer show their colour tags.|
|17 October 2013
(update | poll)
|The Nightmare Zone reward shop now has Bank PIN protection.|
|10 October 2013
|We have also made the overload potion in Nightmare Zone hit you for 50 hitpoints of damage when you drink it, in a similar way to how it worked before EoC.|
|3 October 2013
|The overload effect from Nightmare Zone now resets itself more quickly if you leave unexpectedly.|
|26 September 2013
(update | poll)
|• The Seer, Archer, Warrior and Berserker rings can be imbued, improving their combat stats.|
• Crystal bows and shields can be imbued, making them keep their combat stats unchanged as they degrade.
• Black Masks can be imbued, giving you combat bonuses when using Magic or Ranged attacks against your assigned Slayer target, and improving their combat stats a little.
• The reward shop now sells Scrolls of Redirection that can be used to change the destination of a 'Teleport to House' tablet. You can choose a destination of any player-owned house portal, or Trollheim.
• The reward shop now sells vials and a limited supply of herb boxes.
|19 September 2013
|Some balancing changes have been made in Nightmare Zone to favour players who've completed a wider variety of quests, not just the Lunar series.|
|12 September 2013
|• The Dagannoth and Gelattinoth Mothers no longer notify you about their colour changes if you've left the Nightmare Zone arena.|
• Nightmare Zone now plays more appropriate music for the Ice Troll King.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- For someone with a quest point cape, the maximum number of points on the Endurance mode is 159,699, on the Hard Endurance mode it is 608,725 points.
- The maximum number of points on a Hard Mode Rumble is 1,048,575 () points.
- Dominic Onion is a play on 'Dominion' as the minigame resembles the Dominion Tower in RuneScape 3.
- Trying to cast the lunar spell Dream while in a dream within the Nightmare Zone yields the message "You cannot perform Inception here. Dreaming within this dream will inevitably activate your Kick (i.e. death).", as a reference to the 2010 sci-fi movie 'Inception'.
- There is a very small chance for a cow to appear inside a dream. According to Mod Mat K (confirming player speculation), this is an easter egg referring to the cow in the area to start a dream, which couldn't be moved when the minigame was developed due to the lack of a map editor.
- Although all bosses lack item drops, there is still a chance of getting Long Bones and Curved Bones inside the Nightmare Zone.
References[edit | edit source]