|Released||25 March 2002 (Update)|
|Woodcutting XP||37.5 xp|
|Respawn time||8.4 seconds|
|Examine||A beautiful old oak.|
|Examine||This tree has been cut down.|
An oak is a lumber tree requiring level 15 Woodcutting to cut. It is the lowest level tree that gives more than one log. Oak trees provide oak logs when cut and grant 37.5 Woodcutting experience for each set of logs a player collects from a tree. Oak trees are commonly cut to train Woodcutting after normal trees.
Tree Locations[edit | edit source]
Fairly common and found throughout Gielinor in most locations normal trees can be found. Oak trees are shown on the World Map and Minimap as a pointed tree . This image is shared with several other trees, so a pointed tree on the map does not directly mean it is an oak tree.
Free Areas[edit | edit source]
- Varrock West Bank - southwest of the bank
- Draynor Village - east of the bank
- The crossroads above the Crafting Guild, below the south wall of Falador
- The crossroads above Port Sarim
- On the west side of the Al Kharid gate
- Tutorial Island - these trees cannot be cut, as the level cap on the island is 3 and notable for their darker trunks compared to regular oak trees.
- Port Sarim - multiple trees north side of Port Sarim with bank deposit at Entrana's dock.
Member Areas[edit | edit source]
- Tree Gnome Stronghold - 3 located a few steps southwest of the spirit tree
- Woodcutting Guild
- Seers Village - 4 trees near the bank
Additional Drops[edit | edit source]
- Beaver - Oaks have a chance to drop the beaver Woodcutting pet. At level 15 Woodcutting there is a 1 in 360,771 chance to receive the beaver and a 1 in 385,671 chance at level 99. Oaks have the lowest base chance to drop the beaver pet.
- Bird Nest – There is 1 in 256 chance to drop from Oaks. The bird nest will be dropped on the ground and will despawn after 30 second if not picked up. The Bird nest will be given in place of logs.
- Clue nest – Oaks can drop all clue nests. At level 15 Woodcutting there is an approximately 1 in 3140 chance to receive an easy-elite clue nest and a 1 in 1814 chance at level 99. Beginner clue nests have a universal 1 in 1000 chance to be dropped.
Mechanics[edit | edit source]
Oaks have a 1 in 8 chance of depleting when receiving a log, and a respawn time of 8 seconds. A roll to receive a log is done every 4 game ticks when chopping. The chance to successfully chop is affected by the axe used and Woodcutting level, better axes and a higher woodcutting level increases the likelihood of successfully receiving a log. At High woodcutting levels, the chance to successfully receive a log is maxed out, even with lower level axes.
Lore[edit | edit source]
There are several mentions of oaks by NPCs around Gielinor as well as in books. The following text is transcluded from Gielinor's flora - trees. The information found within the book is more often than not just flavour text, and does not reflect their properties or uses within the game itself.
Oaks are native to the middle kingdoms of Gielinor whose temperate climate prove perfect for this particularly useful species. Everyone from the lowliest peasant to highest king has some oddment or another made from oak. It is used in the manufacture of ships, furniture, floorings and more. One notable usin the making of barrels of storing of wine and liquors with the oak adding a particularly unique taste to any vintage. The leaves and acorns of the oak tree are poisonous to most livestock due to naturally occurring toxins. An interesting exception is the domestic pig, which in lean times can be fed entirely on acorns.