|Released||6 October 2016 (Update)|
|Examine||He looks very dangerous.|
|Max hit||22 (Melee)|
|Attack style||Crush, Ranged|
|Slayer XP||129 xp|
|Not immune to poison|
In order to access Obor's lair, the player must obtain a giant key from a Hill Giant. Each giant key permits one entry to the lair and one attempt to fight Obor. If you change worlds while in the instanced zone, you will be teleported outside the gate.
When the player first enters Obor's lair, they will be in a safe zone, where they must climb down the rocks in order to fight him. Obor attacks with Melee and Ranged, and can detect whether the player is using protection prayers against his current attack style. For example, he will use ranging attacks if Protect from Melee is used.
Strategy[edit | edit source]
Magic (Snare)[edit | edit source]
An easy strategy for lower-level players (with 50 Magic and 40 Prayer) is to always turn on the Protect from Missiles prayer BEFORE climbing down, and then using Snare to prevent Obor from reaching you. Cast Snare every time Obor is able to walk again. Use Magic to kill him. For better chance at success, wait for Obor to be as close to one side of the room before Snaring, then run to the other side, casting offensive spells in between. Wait until he walks to the opposite wall again before repeating. Even with this strategy, however, bring enough food, as Obor can do serious damage as soon as the Snare wears off. If you are free-to-play you might want to bring an energy potion as well.
It can be useful to know that Obor does not always keep walking up to melee distance before attacking, but never attacks when unable to move. This means he might stop walking towards you before standing next to you, giving you the time to snare or bind him without having to run to the other side of the arena. This makes it easier to cast more spells in a shorter amount of time, making the fight more efficient.
Magic (Tank)[edit | edit source]
As Obor is weak to magic, this is the preferred combat style for members with at least 50 Magic, 60 Defence and 42 in the other combat stats. Players with 75 Magic should use the Trident of the Swamp as Obor is susceptible to poison. You should wear void knight or elite void knight equipment with the void mage helm. Stand with your back against a wall to avoid knock-backs. Pray a Defence-boosting prayer such as Steel Skin. Expect to take more damage using this method.
Ranged[edit | edit source]
Melee[edit | edit source]
Melee is also a good option, as it is faster than the magic method (trap) to kill Obor, but it will be more dangerous. 50 are needed for all melee stats, 60 Defence, and 43 prayer to protect melee. Obor's slam attack will take you down, so stand next to a wall and tank if possible. Members can use an Abyssal Whip or a Dragon Scimitar, while free players can use a Rune Scimitar. You'll also want good melee armour with decent ranged and decent defensive melee stats. If you are free-to-play, you may also want to bring a potion of strength.
Drops[edit | edit source]
Drop rates estimated based on 14,540 kills from the Drop Rate Project, unless otherwise cited.
The average Obor kill is worth 21,504.81.
100%[edit | edit source]
|Clue scroll (beginner)||1||Always||Not sold||12|
|Ensouled giant head(m)||1||Always||656||191|
Weapons and armour[edit | edit source]
|Rune full helm||1||5/118||20,603||21,120|
|Rune med helm||1||6/118||11,109||11,520|
|Rune 2h sword||1||3/118||37,751||38,400|
|Hill giant club||1||1/118||605,802||36,000|
Runes[edit | edit source]
Other[edit | edit source]
|Limpwurt root||20 (noted)||8/118||16,620||80|
|Big bones||50 (noted)||8/118||6,450||0|
|Uncut ruby||5 (noted)||5/118[d 1]||5,750||300|
|Uncut diamond||5 (noted)||5/118[d 1]||13,905||600|
- Uncut rubies and diamonds always drop together.
Tertiary[edit | edit source]
|Giant key||1||1/16||Not sold||0|
|Long bone(m)||1||1/400||Not sold||3|
|Giant champion scroll(m)||1||1/5,000||Not sold||0|
|Curved bone(m)||1||1/5,012.5||Not sold||4|
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- 'Obor' translates to 'Giant' in the Slovak language.
- Obor was originally suggested by Reddit user Mjterp. The post can be found here.
References[edit | edit source]
- Jagex. Mod Ash's Twitter account. 26 January 2021. (Archived from the original on 2 March 2021.) Mod Ash: "It has a ranged attack that deals 50% less damage if you've got that prayer active. That sounds intentional to me - we do this sort of damage reduction quite often with bosses."
- Jagex. Mod Ash's Twitter account. 31 May 2018. (Archived from the original on 28 May 2020.) Mod Ash: "3/118"
- Jagex. Mod Ash's Twitter account. 1 March 2017. (Archived from the original on 28 May 2020.) Mod Ash: "1 / 118."
- Jagex. Mod Ash's Twitter account. 1 February 2017. (Archived from the original on 28 May 2020.) Mod Ash: "7, 10, 10 and 12 / 118 respectively [for nature, chaos, death, and law runes]."
- Jagex. Mod Ash's Twitter account. 31 May 2018. (Archived from the original on 28 May 2020.) Mod Ash: "It's got a 1/16 chance for Obor to drop another one."