|Observatory Quest (#43)|
|Released||17 March 2003 (Update)|
|Lead developer(s)||James B|
Details[edit | edit source]
|Start point||Talk to the Observatory professor in the Observatory Reception Room south-west of Ardougne, north of Castle Wars.|
|Description||The Observatory in south-west Ardougne has been ransacked by a family of nearby goblins. Can you help the professor to rebuild it?|
|Enemies to defeat||
Getting started[edit | edit source]
Speak with the Observatory professor, located in the reception room of the Observatory (near the Observatory tower) (Minigame Teleport: Castle Wars, ring of dueling or other methods can be used and then travel north). Ask if you can look through the telescope and he says that it's broken. He tells you that a family of goblins has tampered with the telescope, so ask if you can help. He says that he needs some wood for the tripod, bronze for the tube, and glass for a new lens.
Once you have these three items, bring them back to the professor who will take them from you. He then says that he needs a mould so that he can make a new lens.
- Note: Make sure to talk to the professor three times and give him the molten glass, bronze bar and three planks before attempting to inspect the stove; otherwise, you will have to lure or kill the guard again for the key.
Retrieving the lens mould[edit | edit source]
Items required: None.
Recommended: An antipoison potion, energy potions, combat equipment (for lower levels) and food
If you don't have antipoison potions, you can pick up one Superantipoison at the spawn in the south-eastern building. Go down the stairs to the east of the reception room to find the Observatory Dungeon (the room with the stairs is directly east of the start point). Once down the stairs, you must find the goblin kitchen key. It is commonly found in the south-eastern most chest although it can vary from person to person. Search any chests you pass on the way to the south-eastern chest just in case. Keep searching the chests (refer to the map) until you find the key. Once you search the correct chest, make sure you complete the dialogue for taking the key or else you will not receive it and will have to return to the chest.
Now that you've got the key, head all the way back to the kitchen gate (take the north-western path from the stair entrance), and "prod" the sleeping guard (level 42). He will wake up and attack you. You can either defeat him or get him stuck behind a wall.
- Note: Getting him stuck behind a wall will allow you to go through the door. However, if you pass the goblin again, you will be attacked. Also, another goblin will spawn asleep. You can fight multiple goblins.
Open the kitchen gate (you will use the key and discard it), and then inspect the goblin stove. You determine the goblins are cooking something foul in the lens mould. Dump out the stew and bring this back to the professor.
His assistant will ask you not to give it to him, as last time the professor attempted to craft something, the explosion took a week to clean up. The professor agrees and gives you back the molten glass and mould.
Use the molten glass with the lens mould to craft him a new lens. Give it back to the professor. He will want you to visit him in the Observatory.
The Observatory[edit | edit source]
Climb back down the stairs into the Observatory Dungeon. Now, instead of taking the south-east path, follow the north-west passage (past the kitchen) to find some stairs leading to the Observatory (the southern set of stairs on the map). There is also a chest north-east of the stairs to the Observatory, which spawns infinite Antipoison(1) vials, which you can combine to make full vials.
After closing the window, the professor should ask you which constellation you saw. The constellations are on wall charts in the main level of the Observatory. Identify your constellation, talk to the professor again, and you should get your reward in your inventory.
Congratulations! Quest complete!
|Name & Reward||Picture||Name & Reward||Picture|
25 Water runes, uncut sapphire
875 Attack experience, uncut sapphire
Amulet of defence, uncut sapphire
875 Strength experience, uncut sapphire
Black 2h sword, uncut sapphire
875 Hitpoints experience, uncut sapphire
3 Law runes, uncut sapphire
3 Tuna, uncut sapphire
Maple longbow, uncut sapphire
Weapon poison, uncut sapphire
Super strength(1), uncut sapphire
875 Defence experience, uncut sapphire
Rewards[edit | edit source]
- 2 Quest points
- 2,250 Crafting experience
- Your item reward depends on what astrological sign you see when you look through the telescope. It is different for each person. Each one rewards an uncut sapphire as well as the following:
- Aquarius: 25 water runes
- Aries: 875 Attack experience
- Cancer: An amulet of defence
- Capricorn: 875 Strength experience
- Gemini: A black 2h sword
- Leo: 875 Hitpoints experience
- Libra: 3 law runes
- Pisces: 3 tuna
- Sagittarius: A maple longbow
- Scorpio: Weapon poison
- Taurus: A 1-dose super strength potion
- Virgo: 875 Defence experience
- The Spirit of Scorpius will now give you a mould to make unholy symbols, and he will bless them for you too. He can be found in the graveyard north of the Observatory.
- Talk to the Observatory assistant after the quest and he will reward you with a jug of wine as well as tell you his and the professor's real name.
- Access to the grappling shortcut rock outside the Observatory.
- Completing this quest awards the player with 5 Kudos which can be claimed by talking to Historian Minas in the Varrock Museum.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- If the player talks to the Observatory assistant after the quest, he will give the player a jug of wine as thanks for the help. He will also tell the player his and the professor's real names, which are Patrick and Mambo-duna-roona, respectively.
- The professor may give you a Chart during or after the quest. Although it is no longer a requirement now, you may still want to keep it for Treasure Trails.