Odd Old Man
|Odd Old Man|
|Released||10 April 2006 (Update)|
|Quest||• Rag and Bone Man I|
• Rag and Bone Man II
• Bone Voyage
|Examine||That's a lot of bones on his back...|
The Odd Old Man (real name: Archibald Paldock) can be found at his house in northern Silvarea, slightly north-east of Varrock and west of Paterdomus temple, tucked away in the mountain range. He collects bones, furs, teeth, and similar items for an unknown purpose. He claims to work for the Varrock Museum, bringing stuffed creatures to put on display, however, his phrasing suggests he is misleading the player, hiding the real reason why he wants these items. The bone sack on his back appears to frequently talk to him and tell him what to say, especially when pressed to answer difficult questions and to complete his stated objectives.
Treasure Trails[edit | edit source]
Dialogue[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- His real name, Archibald Paldock, is most likely a reference to Captain Haddock (whose full name is Archibald Haddock) from the Tintin comic series. (Another character in this series keeps on misremembering his surname).
- The Odd Old Man's research is similar to the story of Frankenstein, in that both Victor Frankenstein and the Odd Old Man are consumed by their research to the point of committing atrocities by putting together monsters from dead body parts.
- The Odd Old Man could be a reference to an urban legend about an escaped mental patient called 'The Body Dismemberer' who carried a large, lumpy bag. He would mutter to himself and claim that the bones in his bag "made him do it."
- The bones scattered in and around the Odd Old Man's house have many interesting "examine" texts. One such skeleton states "What a waste of prayer xp!"
- After completing Rag and Bone Man II, the Wish-List on his house will have "Non-chafing Manacles" written on it.
- Fortunato appears to revere the man; when approached over buying vinegar, he becomes enraged at the thought he might carry it until you mention that you were sent to him. After learning that it was Paldock who sent you, he becomes highly respectful, and calls you "lordship" upon return trips.