One Small Favour
|One Small Favour (#72)|
|Released||28 February 2005 (Update)|
|Lead developer(s)||Tytn H|
One Small Favour is a humorous quest in which you are asked to complete a favour, although things turn out to be less simple than that.
Details[edit | edit source]
|Start point||Go to Shilo Village and talk to Yanni Salika.|
|Description||If you're new to Shilo Village after solving the mystery (or even if you did it some time ago), you may like to check out Yanni Salika's antiques shop.
He's a busy chap, revamping antique items, checking out new stock from potential adventurers and maybe he'll have a small(1) favour to ask of you? Probably nothing particularly large, Yanni isn't a demanding(2) person, should hardly take you any time(3) at all really, something to do when you have a spare moment.
That's assuming there aren't any complications.
1: - Perception of the word "small" may be open to interpretation.
2: - In a recent vote, Yanni Salika was only voted the second most demanding person in Shilo Village.3: - As everyone knows, time is relative.
|Official length||Very long|
|Enemies to defeat|
Unlocking Kandarin✓ will auto-complete the quest
Walkthrough[edit | edit source]
Players are advised to read through each section before starting, as there are many different teleportation options that will vary by player and will determine items required before banking again. Players are also encouraged to complete as many stages of this quest as possible without any combat gear equipped, in order to preserve energy for running (as there is a lot of ground to cover). The walkthrough will alert you if there are any impending encounters where any combat items may be necessary.
Karamja[edit | edit source]
Items required: A good pickaxe and a charged Amulet of glory to mine the gems, a chisel, and some form of teleportation to Port Sarim. One easy option is to bring 45gp to purchase a ticket from Captain Shanks (explained below), or other ways to get to Port Sarim are: an Amulet of glory to Karamja, a Rimmington tablet/house teleport, or the Ratcatchers minigame teleport. There is also the fairy ring code CKR, which teleports you close to the wall of Shilo Village by the gem rocks.
- Travel to Shilo Village, and talk to Yanni Salika in the antiques shop north of the river. He will ask a small favour—get some red mahogany logs from a forester south of the village.
- Tip: After you've spoken to Yanni, it would be great to mine the gems (two of each of the following: jade, opal, sapphire, and red topaz) before you depart Shilo Village. It would be wise to bring a chisel with you as there is a high chance to crush the gems. (You only need these extra gems if you fail to repair the gnome lights later on in the quest and dont want to pay 500gp per gem as replacements, alternatively you could bring extra gems bought from the GE.)
- Leave the village (go through both gates in the south east and climb over Broken cart), and talk to a forester just south west of the entrance. You are asked to take a blunt axe to Captain Shanks and get it sharpened.
- Go due west to the ocean, and there will be a ladder. Go up the ladder, and talk to Captain Shanks. He will tell you to go to Port Sarim and get the axe sharpened there. The next step is to go to Port Sarim, but players should go to a bank first and get the necessary items for the next section before going to Port Sarim. Then, after they have the required items, go to Port Sarim.
- Tip: Buy a ticket from Captain Shanks and he can sail you to Port Sarim.
Asgarnia and Misthalin[edit | edit source]
Items required: Skills Necklace (optional) or Falador teletab (optional), a charged Amulet of Glory (optional), a Varrock teletab or teleport (optional), Skull sceptre (optional), 3 steel bars, a harralander, 2 guams, a marrentill, a bowl of hot water, a pot (can be obtained during heating of bowl of water), an empty cup (You may obtain a cup of tea during this part, and drink it), a Camelot teletab or teleport, a lockpick (recommended for those with a low Thieving level), Blunt Axe given by the Jungle Forester.
- Speak to Brian in the axe shop in Port Sarim. He is too worried about his friend, who is being convicted of a crime and deciding to go to the Wilderness to avoid trial, to sharpen your axe. Agree to help him by saying, "Ok, ok, I'll do it! I'll go and see Aggie." Then, you must give Brian the Blunt axe before going to Aggie, or you will be unable to proceed further.
- Upon asking "Is there anyone else who can sharpen this axe?," Brian will mention Bob in Lumbridge. DO NOT GO TO BOB IN LUMBRIDGE - Bob simply states "Hmmm, yes, that looks pretty badly damaged. Unfortunately, I don't have the tools to fix it, but Brian over in Port Sarim might be able to."
- Speak to Aggie the witch in Draynor Village (teleport using Amulet of glory) about being a witness. She will help you if you agree to find her apprentice, Jimmy the Chisel, who has gone missing looking for supplies.
- Go to the H.A.M. Hideout (east of Draynor Village). Pick the lock on the trapdoor to get in. Go to the south-east corner and speak to Johanhus Ulsbrecht regarding Jimmy, and ask, "And I suppose you need me to do you a favour?" He will let Jimmy go if you provide his cult with a month's supply of chickens; he suggests talking to Fred the Farmer.
- Exit the H.A.M. headquarters, and go north-east to Fred the Farmer's house (the house with a dairy churn and a water drop on the minimap). Talk to Fred the Farmer, who does not have enough chickens. He tells you to go to Seth Groats (located east on the other side of the river in the chicken coop across from the cow field).
- Talk with Seth Groats. He wants you to give three steel bars to Horvik in Varrock to make some cages for the chickens.
- Speak with Horvik located in the armour shop north-east of Varrock Square (teleport to Varrock). He is very ill and needs a herbal antidote and some pigeon cages to modify into chicken cages. (Take a cup of tea from the tea stall south-east of Horvik and Varrock East Bank, or wait until the druid part later.) Pigeon cages can be found in the garden behind Jerico's house, immediately south of the northern bank in East Ardougne. He says that you will need five of them.
- Horvik will take 3 steel bars automatically during the dialogue, thus freeing 3 inventory spaces.
- Go to the Apothecary in southwest Varrock regarding Horvik's illness. He gives you the herbal tincture but drops the breathing salts. Agree to get a new airtight pot. You may drop the herbal tincture now to save 1 inventory space, as you can get it back from the Apothecary later with the breathing salts at the final stage of the quest.
- Note: If you don't have the harralander, 2 guam, and marrentil for the next section, now would be a good time to get them from the G.E. or from killing chaos druids in the Edgeville dungeon.
- Go to the Barbarian Village (teleport using the Skull sceptre), and talk to Tassie Slipcast the potter. She is too worried to show you how to make an airtight pot because she is being pressured by a dwarf called Hammerspike Stoutbeard in the Dwarven Mines.
- Go to the Dwarven Mines (teleport using the Skills necklace to Mining Guild). Head southwest to the westernmost cave past the anvils until you see Hammerspike Stoutbeard surrounded by dwarf gang members (there is an Agility shortcut requiring 42 Agility). Ask him, "Have you always been a gangster?" He will tell you that he always wanted to be a druid.
- Go to Taverley, and talk with Sanfew, who is on the 1st floor[UK]2nd floor[US] of the central house with the herb icon. Ask him if he's taking any new initiates and accepts dwarves, and tell him that a dwarf you know wants to become one. He will allow Hammerspike to become a druid apprentice, but he wants you to give a Guthix rest tea to Captain Bleemadge on top of White Wolf Mountain and organise a trip for Sanfew down to the Feldip Hills.
- Use the bowl of hot water with an empty teacup (one spawns in the building north of Sanfew), add one harralander, two guam leaves and a marrentill. Once you have the tea, travel to the top of White Wolf Mountain (gnome glider is one way). Speak to Captain Bleemadge, and give him the tea. He will want some T.R.A.S.H. (Triple Redundant Aero Super Hawsers) for the trip down to the Feldip Hills. You may drop the bowl now.
- Note: The Grand Tree may need to be completed or else Captain Bleemadge will not talk about Sanfew or accept the tea and will repeatedly state that humans are not allowed on Gnome Air.
- Note: Low levels should be aware of white wolves while travelling on the mountain. An aggressive level 73 Big Wolf spawns near Captain Bleemadge which may attack you, preventing you from finishing the dialogue.
Kandarin[edit | edit source]
Items required: 1 empty inventory space, 5 pigeon cages (can be obtained while in Ardougne), coins, a Camelot teletab, an Ardougne teletab, a Skills necklace or Combat bracelet to teleport to the Fishing Guild, a ring of dueling, a chisel and a hammer. (Optional) 2 cut jades, opals and red topazes. (2 extra uncuts of each gems can be provided by the gnome for 500gp each. You will obtain 2 sapphires which cannot be crushed while cutting so extras are not needed.)
- Travel to the general store south of Catherby bank, and speak to Arhein, who will ask for a weather report.
- Look on your map and go to the house with the water source north of the church in Seers' Village (teleport to Camelot and walk west). Speak with Phantuwti Fanstuwi Farsight, located in the building with the water symbol. who is looking for a missing person and cannot do the weather forecast until she is found.
- Enter the cave east of the Fishing Guild entrance (teleport using a Skills necklace). Head north along the east wall until you come to a cave where Petra is trapped in a rock. Right-click and search the sculpture to find a message saying to speak to Wizard Cromperty (If you have trouble seeing her, she is in the eastern side of the cave ... literally!).
- Go to the north-east corner of Ardougne and speak to Wizard Cromperty about a girl stuck in some rock. He needs some iron oxide from a man in Port Khazard. If you don't have a Hammer or Chisel yet, you may acquire them in this building.
- Note: If you have yet to get the five pigeon cages, go to the house directly south of the northern bank in East Ardougne.
- Go to Port Khazard. Walk there, because you will have to come back in less than 20 minutes (the time to use the Minigame Group Finder Fishing Trawler teleport.) Alternatively, take the boat from South Ardougne to Brimhaven and then the charter boat to Port Khazard for 400 coins. (Alternatively, you can use the Ardougne Cloak to teleport to the Ardougne Monastery.) Talk to Tindel Marchant on the southern dock, and he will want his stodgy mattress stuffed for the iron oxide.
- Go to the Feldip Hills (fairy ring code aks, take a charter ship to Corsair Cove for 600 coins, Feldip hills teleport or ring of dueling to Castle Wars, or if you have 99 Hunter, you can teleport to the red chinchompas.), and talk to Rantz, who is located at the quest icon in eastern Feldip Hills. He cannot do it because there is a "small man" causing a disturbance which is scaring the chompy birds. Tell him that you'll see what you can do. Lower combat level players should be aware that this area is full of ogres (level 53-63) who can deal a lot of damage to unarmoured players. This shouldn't pose too much of an issue for most players, as you won't spend too much time in areas where you're in danger of catching their attention, but it doesn't hurt to tread carefully.
- Go west until you see a landing strip and Gnome glider with a gnome named Gnormadium Avlafrim. Talk to him, and he will tell you he needs to repair the landing strip. Search each of the eight landing lights for a gem, cut it, and put it back in the landing lights. The gnome can sell you a chisel and up to 2 spare gems of each type for 500 coins each if you happen to crush them. Do not allow the gems to despawn, as you will have to bank to retrieve new ones.
- Note: Bringing extra jade (254), opal (275) or red topaz (2,392) gems with you avoids the cost. Due to the high cost of red topaz, it maybe worthwhile to use up the gnome's stock first. (Players with high level crafting may also use the drop trick to obtain 2 extra red topaz gems for 500gp before putting the cut gem back into the landing lights.)
Completing the favours[edit | edit source]
Quest Items required: A comfy mattress , iron oxide, an animate rock scroll, the weather report, an airtight pot, breathing salts, the herbal tincture, chicken cages, a sharpened axe and red mahogany logs.
Others Items required: A good pickaxe/weapon, armour and some food, a hammer, a bronze bar, an iron bar, a steel bar, 5 pigeon cages, runes for teleports to Ardougne, Camelot, & Lumbridge, transportation to Taverley, Skills Necklace, Skull Sceptre, and coins for transportation or some means of teleportation to get back to Shilo Village. (Bring an extra piece of soft clay if you want to save some time during Swan Song later)
- Talk with Gnormadium to tell him the runway lights are fixed.
- Speak to Tindel in Port Khazard (a quick way to get to there is to use the Ardougne Cloak to teleport to the Ardougne Monastery, or the Minigame Group Finder Fishing Trawler teleport, if you didn't use it before) to get the iron oxide.
- Next, you will need to fight a level 92 rock monster that is weak to crush attacks and uses Melee, so stop by the bank, get some food, and equip some decent armour and a weapon or pickaxe. Fighting with a pickaxe is recommended; however, low levels should use Magic from the safespot shown above. It is also possible to fight the monster head on with just 1-2 prayer potion(s) and a pickaxe if you have at least 43 Prayer to use Protect from Melee.
Goblin Cave & Slagilith[edit | edit source]
- Head back to the Goblin Cave near the Fishing Guild, and hug the eastern wall until you come to the same room as before. Stand in front of the sculpture and use the animate rock scroll and kill the Slagilith. After killing him, stand back in front of the sculpture and read the scroll once more.
- The slagilith has a maximum hit of 13, is hard to damage, and if you leave the room or take too long killing it, you will have to start the fight over. Travel back to the Goblin Cave south of Fishing Guild and cast the animation spell to begin the fight once again. After defeating the Slagilith, cast the spell in front of the rocks once again to release Petra. You may drop the animate rock scroll now.
- Note: A bug currently exists that allows you to kill the Slagilith using Ranged attacks with full damage by equipping the pickaxe you brought before the hitsplat appears. Using this, the fight takes significantly less time when using Magic or Ranged combat.
- Note: If you get a message saying, "You don't feel that you should cast this with enemies around", walk out of the room, and kill the bats around the entrance; then, return to the middle of the room and try again.
Seers' Village[edit | edit source]
- Go to Seers' Village (With 3 empty inventory spaces), and speak to Phantuwti. He is unable to give you a weather report because his weather vane is broken. You'll have to threaten to run him through, and ask him, "Why can't you get a clear picture?" Then, ask, "Which special Seers tools do you need?" and "What do you mean?" Finally, he'll tell you about his weather vane. Climb the ladder, head east, and climb another ladder to the roof of his house (36 Agility required). Search the weather vane, use a hammer with the weather vane, and search it again to get three broken vane parts. Go to an anvil (closest is across the street) with a bronze, iron, and steel bar, and use the parts of the weather vane with the anvil (30 Smithing required). Go back to the roof of the house, and put the weathervane pillar, the directionals, and the ornament back on the weathervane. Talk to Phantuwti again for a (comically useless) weather report.
- Take the report to Arhein in Catherby, who will send somebody to send T.R.A.S.H. to Captain Bleemadge. (Again, low and mid-levels, caution the aggressive level 73 Big Wolf which hangs around Bleemadge.)
- Talk to Captain Bleemadge on top of White Wolf Mountain. (You can teleport to Duel Arena and use the nearby gnome glider) (Note: You may now fly the glider to Feldip Hills to complete a medium Western Province task).
Dwarven Mine & Gang Fight[edit | edit source]
- Talk to Hammerspike in the Dwarven Mine. Predictably, he has "changed his mind" about becoming a druid. Talk to him again and he'll have his gang members will attack you; they must be fought to continue the quest. There are three gang members (levelled in the mid-to-high 40s) in the room who will attack you at once and altogether can deal a fair amount of damage if you have no armour equipped, so come prepared for this battle (bring a sword to end the fight quickly). Once they're dealt with, speak with Hammerspike, who will agree to stop harassing Tassie.
- Go to Barbarian Village , and talk to Tassie, who will give you some soft clay and teach you how to make pot lids. Use the soft clay on the wheel to make an unfired pot lid and then use the unfired pot lid on the pottery oven. (Another pot lid is needed for Swan Song, so you could make it now to save some time later.) You may take the pot at the Barbarian Village helmet shop to the northwest before you leave the village.
- Go back to Horvik the Varrock blacksmith, and give him the breathing salts, herbal tincture, and pigeon cages.
- Go to the H.A.M. headquarters, and tell Johanhus that you've managed to swing that chicken deal; he will agree to release Jimmy.
Finally back on Karamja[edit | edit source]
- Go back to the forester outside Shilo Village, and you receive some red mahogany logs in exchange for the sharpened axe. (You may charter ship to Brimhaven from Port Sarim and take the travel cart back to Shilo Village to reach the jungle forester-but it would save a lot of money to teleport to Ardougne and go to the dock & pay Captain Barnaby 30gp to get to Brimhaven).
- Speak with Yanni in Shilo Village to complete the quest.
Rewards[edit | edit source]
- 2 Quest points
- Two experience lamps giving 10,000 experience to any skill of your choice. Skill must be at least level 30.
- A steel key ring
- The ability to make Guthix rest tea
- The ability to craft pot lids
- Access to the gnome glider route to the Feldip Hills
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Hammerspike Stoutbeard's desire to be a druid may stem from Pikel Bouldershoulder, a dwarf druid from several of R.A. Salvatore's books.
- Wizard Cromperty comments on the frequency with which people teleport into rock walls, saying that it can happen with just the smallest miscalculation. This may be a reference to the classic RPG Wizardry, which featured a teleport spell that, if cast with the wrong coordinates, could teleport you into a rock instead of the dungeon. This "feature" was notorious amongst Wizardry players, as it immediately killed your entire party.
- Petra Fiyed is a wordplay on the word "petrified," appropriately meaning "turned to stone".
Required for completing[edit | edit source]
Completion of One Small Favour is required for the following:
References[edit | edit source]
- You can walk up the stairs to Falador from the dwarven mines but it would be quicker to teleport.