Operation: Phoenix is the name given to what is claimed to have been an organised attack by Zamorakian wizards against the first Wizards' Tower. The operation supposedly took place in the year 70 of the Fifth Age, and ultimately resulted in the complete destruction of the tower and the loss of many magical secrets. The event, though referenced frequently throughout RuneScape's history and dialogue, has been referred to by name only once, in a Temple Knight commorb dossier obtained during the Wanted! quest.
Details regarding the incident itself are few. Prior to the attack, Zamorakians had worked in the Wizards' Tower itself. The Zamorakians supposedly tried to claim the discoveries of the Wizards' Tower in the name of Zamorak. However, they failed and burned the Wizards' Tower to the ground in retaliation. Many of the secrets of magic and runecrafting were lost as a result, including the incantation needed to teleport to the Rune Essence Mine.
The Zamorakians dispute this account. According to the Zamorakians, the Saradominists had actually stolen teleportation research from a Zamorakian wizard. They claim that because the Saradominists did not fully understand the research, their attempt to perform the ritual went wrong and destroyed the tower in a fire.
After the incident, the Wizards' Tower was later rebuilt. All that remains of the original tower is the basement. The make-up of the wizards present in the tower changed as well. Only Saradominist mages are now members of the order, and the Zamorakians were banished from the tower. The modern Zamorak Magical Institute is believed by the Temple Knights to be descended from the Zamorakian mages originally responsible for the plot.
References[edit | edit source]
- Archmage Sedridor, "Temple of the Eye", Old School RuneScape. "Need I remind you that it was the Zamorakians who burnt down the first Wizards' Tower?"
- Display case 24, Old School RuneScape. "The open nature of the Order of Wizards ended in disaster in the 70th year of the 5th Age. Zamorakian members of the order betrayed them and burnt down the Wizards' Tower."
- Commorb, "Wanted!", Old School RuneScape. "Observation suggests that the Z.M.I. is the same faction of Zamorakians that burnt down the Wizards' Tower in Operation: Phoenix, but firm conclusions as to the reason for this remain at best sketchy and unsupported by evidence."
- Archmage Sedridor, Old School RuneScape. "For years, the tower was a hub of magical research. Wizards of all races and religions were welcomed into our order."
- Archmage Sedridor, Old School RuneScape. "The wizards who served Zamorak, the evil god of chaos, tried to claim our magical discoveries in his name. They failed, but in retaliation, they burnt the entire tower to the ground."
- Archmage Sedridor, "Rune Mysteries", Old School RuneScape. "When the tower burnt down, much was lost, including an important incantation. A spell that could be used to teleport to a hidden essence mine."
- Display case 24, Old School RuneScape. "The tower was rebuilt, but the location of the Rune Essence Mine used by the order was lost."
- Mage of Zamorak, Old School RuneScape. "A Zamorakian wizard made a great breakthrough in teleportation magic, but the Saradominists stole his research."
- Mage of Zamorak, Old School RuneScape. "They used it to perform a ritual, but their lack of understanding caused it to go wrong. The entire Wizards' Tower burnt down. Many were killed, and years of research was destroyed."
- Archmage Sedridor, Old School RuneScape. "This basement is all that is left of the old tower."
- Mage of Zamorak, Old School RuneScape. "Did you know that the Order of Wizards wasn't always a Saradominist group? Once they allowed mages of all faiths to study with them."
- Mage of Zamorak, Old School RuneScape. "After the tower was rebuilt, we were banished from the Order of Wizards and forced underground."
|Battles in Misthalin|
|Battles in Asgarnia|
|Battles in Kandarin and the Fremennik Province|
|Battles in Morytania|
|Battles in Forinthry and the Wilderness|
|Battles in the Kharidian Desert|
|Battles in Tirannwn|
|Battles in Kourend|