|Released||4 January 2001 (Update)|
as of 1 September 2023 - update
as of 27 September 2023 - update
Mining is a skill that allows players to obtain ores and gems from rocks. The higher a player's Mining level is the more likely they are to successfully extract ore. With ores, a player can then either smelt bars and make equipment using the Smithing skill or sell them for profit. Mining is one of the most popular skills in RuneScape as many players try to earn a profit from the skill. Mining areas are identified with a regular pickaxe icon, and mining shops are identified with a gold pickaxe icon on the minimap and world map.
|Mining level up - normal|
The music that plays when levelling up.
|Mining level up - with unlocks|
The music that plays when levelling up and unlocking new content.
How to mine[edit | edit source]
The player can click on rocks in a mine to mine them, as long as they are wielding a pickaxe or have one in their inventory. After mining for a short amount of time, the player will obtain an ore or a gemstone, depending on the rock mined. Ores can be used for Smithing, and gemstones for Crafting. Rocks cannot be mined with a full inventory.
Every mining cycle, there is a chance to succeed and obtain an ore. Using a higher-tier pickaxe can increase mining speed by reducing the time to the next mining cycle. The chance of success each cycle varies by ore and increases with the player's mining level.
Pickaxes[edit | edit source]
Pickaxes, or "picks," are needed to mine rocks. They can be equipped as a weapon, giving players one extra space in their inventory. However, pickaxes cannot be made using the Smithing skill. Pickaxes can be bought from either Nurmof in the Dwarven Mine or Tati in Keldagrim, or from other players. Nurmof's Pickaxe Shop in the Dwarven Mine is labelled on the minimap as a gold pickaxe.
A player's Mining level determines the type of pickaxe they can mine with. Higher level pickaxes grant more frequent opportunities to obtain an ore from a rock, but have no effect upon the chance of successfully doing so.
|Pickaxe||Level||Level[p 1]||GE Price||Members|
|Infernal pickaxe[p 2]||61||60||7,629,811[p 3]|
|3rd age pickaxe||61||65||2,147,483,647|
|Crystal pickaxe[p 4]||71||70[p 5]||17,787,944[p 6]|
- The listed Attack levels are only required to wield the pickaxes, not use them.
- The infernal pickaxe also requires 85 Smithing to use.
- Listed price is the combined cost of a smouldering stone and a dragon pickaxe.
- Requires completion of Song of the Elves to create and use.
- The crystal pickaxe has an additional requirement of 50 Agility to wield.
- Listed price is the combined cost of a crystal tool seed and a dragon pickaxe, and does not include the value of the crystal shards.
Other equipment[edit | edit source]
Besides the pickaxes discussed above, the following items have some effect on mining:
- Parts of prospector outfit increase Mining experience rates.
- Varrock armour provides a 10% chance to mine two ores of certain types (depending on tier) simultaneously, giving experience for both ores.
- Mining cape provides a 5% chance of receiving an extra ore while mining ore up to adamantite, giving experience for both ores.
- Mining gloves, Superior mining gloves and Expert mining gloves provide a chance that when mining certain ores, the rock will not be depleted.
- The bracelet of clay causes soft clay to be obtained from clay rocks rather than raw clay, and doubles the yield from soft clay rocks.
- The celestial ring provides an invisible +4 boost to the player's mining level. This boost does not allow the player to mine ore above their mining level. When charged with stardust, it gives the player a 10% chance to obtain an extra ore from rocks up to adamantite.
- The elven signet offers a 10% chance to prevent the crystal pickaxe from consuming a charge when an ore is mined.
- The celestial signet combines the effects of the celestial ring and the elven signet.
- Coal bag can store up to 27 Coal, possibly improving mining efficiency.
- Gem bag can store up to 60 uncut gems of each Sapphire to Dragonstone, possibly improving efficiency when mining gem rocks or perhaps even in Motherlode Mine.
- A charged amulet of glory increases the chances of randomly finding gems while mining from 1/256 to 1/86, if it has a minimum of 1 charge remaining. It also significantly boosts mining gem rocks.
- Ring of wealth (i) doubles the chance to receive easy-elite clue geodes when in the Wilderness.
Mineable items[edit | edit source]
After the ore has been mined, the rock will turn grey for a while. Eventually the ore will respawn and the rock will regain its colour. Players can only mine a rock when ore is available. Ore respawn times differ with the difficulty of the rock. For example, runite rocks take 12 minutes to respawn while iron rocks take about three seconds.
|Dense essence block||38||12||N/A|
Gems[edit | edit source]
When mining, players have a 1/256 chance of rolling an uncut gem table instead of receiving an ore; this neither depletes the ore nor grants mining experience. Gems that can be found in rocks are uncut sapphires, uncut emeralds, uncut rubies and uncut diamonds.
Geodes[edit | edit source]
Other[edit | edit source]
- Barronite deposits have a chance to be obtained when mining for barronite shards.
- Crystal shards have a chance to be obtained alongside the main product of rocks in the Trahaearn Mine.
- Iron, silver, coal, gold, mithril, adamantite and runite ore fragment are mined from the boulder in the Volcanic Mine.
- Soda ash is occasionally obtained while mining ash piles.
- 'perfect' gold ore can be obtained from the rocks in Witchaven Dungeon. They are used during the Family Crest quest but can still be mined and smelted after the quest is completed.
- A magic stone is mined during the Tears of Guthix quest. The area cannot be accessed again after the quest is completed.
- Various items can be obtained from Digsite digs.
- Various items can be otained by panning, notably gold nuggets.
- Tephra is mined while fighting Zalcano.
- Rocks can be mined from boulders in the Viyeldi Caves and piles of rock, giving the player 1 experience.
- Daeyalt ore (not to be confused with daeyalt shards) can be mined from daeyalt rocks in the Meiyerditch mine for 17.5 experience, requiring level 20 mining. 15 pieces must be placed in the minecart to escape the mine.
- Saltpetre can be obtained by digging deposits in Hosidius with a spade. Although it grants no experience, the amount obtained scales with mining level.
- Book page 3 can be obtained randomly by mining most types of rock in the Dwarven Mines during Between a Rock...
- A grey crystal is obtained by mining the Rock of Dalgroth during the Watchtower quest, requiring level 40 mining.
- Lunar ore is mined from stalagmites in the Lunar Isle mine, requiring level 60 mining and granting no experience. It can still be mined after the quest is completed.
- Crystal ore is mined from Crystal deposits in the Gauntlet, with a chance of granting crystal shards. In the Corrupted Gauntlet, corrupted ore and corrupted shards are obtained instead.
- Guardian fragments are mined from Large guardian remains, Guardian remains, or Guardian parts, and Guardian essence is mined from Huge guardian remains, during the Guardians of the Rift minigame.
- Stones could be mined during the Big Cats & WWF event.
Mines[edit | edit source]
Mines are areas where players can mine their ores. These may be on the surface or underground and are scattered around Gielinor. Some of these locations are accessible only after certain quests are complete and some are members-only.
Special mining areas and activities[edit | edit source]
Mining Guild[edit | edit source]
The Mining Guild is a special mining area within the dwarven mines, requiring level 60 Mining to enter (can be boosted). While accessible by Free-to-play players, an area of the mine is accessible solely by Members. There are numerous rocks in both sections, with especially large numbers of coal rocks.
Within the members' area of the mining guild, players will receive an invisible +7 level boost to their Mining, and have a chance to receive unidentified minerals while mining, which can be traded in for various mining gloves. It also contains two runite rocks and is the only place players can mine Amethyst. Players also have access to a Bank chest to deposit their ores quickly.
Motherlode Mine[edit | edit source]
The Motherlode Mine, requiring level 30 Mining and found within the dwarven mines, allows players to instead mine Pay-dirt and deposit it into a dwarven machine. When withdrawn, the player receives various random ores attainable at their current mining level. This process also has a chance of rewarding Gold nuggets, used to purchase helpful mining-related items such as the Coal bag, Gem bag, and Prospector outfit, as well as Soft clay packs and Bags full of gems.
Blast mine[edit | edit source]
The Blast mine, requiring level 43 Mining and found within Lovakengj, allows players to collect Blasted ores through the use of Dynamite; the usage of which also rewards a small amount of Firemaking experience. Blasted ores are then deposited to obtain various random ores; the blast mine is unique as players can receive ores that have level requirements up to ten above their current level.
Coal Trucks[edit | edit source]
Coal from the nearby coal rocks can be loaded onto the trucks, and unloaded in Seers' Village, which makes banking more convenient.
Trahaearn mine[edit | edit source]
The rocks in this mine have a chance of yielding crystal shards alongside the ore.
Volcanic mine[edit | edit source]
Players may mine ore fragments from a boulder in a volcanic chamber. This may be performed individually or in groups. In order to successfully mine here, players must maintain the stability of the mine, avoid lava beasts and navigate across pools of lava.
Shooting stars[edit | edit source]
Shooting stars land in random locations every two hours or so. They can be mined for stardust.
Zalcano[edit | edit source]
Zalcano is a skilling boss. In order to defeat her, players must mine tephra, refine it using the Smithing skill, imbue it using the Runecrafting skill, throw it at her and mine her once her armour is damaged enough.
Digsite[edit | edit source]
Various digs at the Digsite yield a variety of cheap or useless items and low amounts of experience. The panning activity yields a variety of inexpensive items (including nuggets, three sets of which can be exchanged for gold ore), and minuscule amounts of mining and fishing experience.
Other uses[edit | edit source]
- In Castle Wars, players can mine certain parts of the wall underground in order to fill the passageway with rocks. If other players are located under the rocks, they will be instantly killed.
- In the Chambers of Xeric, the player's mining level and the average mining level of the team affect the damage on Guardians.
- Several passages are blocked by objects that have to be mined before they can be crossed, such as rocks in the Abyss and the entrance to the Ice Queen's Lair.
- Mining is used to animate the earth elementals that drop elemental ore. Although no actual mining is involved, a pickaxe that the player has the mining level to use is required.
Tips[edit | edit source]
Power mining[edit | edit source]
Also known as drop mining, this is where a player fills their inventory with ores, drops them all, and repeats. While this method of mining allows players to raise their Mining level quickly, dropping a whole inventory of ores can take some time (although this can be minimised by making use of shift-click dropping). Also, by using this method, a player would be missing out on Smithing experience. Some locations useful for drop mining:
- Al Kharid mine - The scorpions can be aggressive at low combat levels.
- Dwarven Mine
- Bandit Camp Quarry - Players will be susceptible to damage from desert heat
- Mining Guild - The ores in the members-only section respawn twice as fast, allowing for non-stop iron mining.
Power-mining iron[edit | edit source]
- Al Kharid Mine
- Mining Guild
- Resource Area
- Legends' Guild mine
- Piscatoris mine
- Lovakengj mine
- Verdant Valley on Fossil Island
- Mount Karuulm mine
- Trahaearn mine
Mining gloves[edit | edit source]
Members can purchase two different types of Mining Gloves from the Mining Guild Mineral Exchange store in the Mining Guild. Each pair of gloves provide a chance of the rock not depleting, which is very beneficial for players powermining or mining higher tier ores. After purchasing both pairs of gloves, the player can combine the gloves to create Expert mining gloves by talking to Belona.
|Mining gloves||Provides a chance for extra ore from silver, coal, and gold|
|Superior mining gloves||Provides a chance for extra ore from mithril, adamantite, and runite|
|Expert mining gloves||Provides a chance for extra ore from silver, coal, gold, mithril, adamantite, runite, and amethyst|
Reduce total weight[edit | edit source]
Players are recommended to wear few items or nothing at all other than their pickaxe. Members can wear the weight-reducing clothing. Wearing fewer items allows a player to run longer, as less energy is spent while running at lower weight values.
Switch worlds[edit | edit source]
For higher level rocks such as adamantite or runite, it is often faster to switch between worlds rather than waiting for the rocks to respawn. This is not recommended for lower level rocks as they respawn much faster.
Mining pet[edit | edit source]
The rock golem is a members-only skilling pet that can be obtained while training Mining. The chances of getting it are dependent on the player's Mining level, and the time it takes to gather a resource.
Temporary boosts[edit | edit source]
|Mining cape||1||Visible||When the mining cape is equipped, there is a 5% chance of receiving an extra ore while mining ore up to adamantite (with some exceptions).|
|Braindeath 'rum'||1||Visible|| Attack - floor(Currentlevel * 0.06) - 1|
Defence - floor(Currentlevel * 0.8) - 2
Ranged - floor(Currentlevel * 0.06) - 1
Magic - floor(Currentlevel * 0.05) - 1
Prayer - floor(StaticLevel * 0.06) - 1
Agility - floor(Currentlevel * 0.09) - 3
Herblore - floor(Currentlevel * 0.06) - 1
|Dwarven stout||1||Visible|| Hitpoints 1|
Attack - floor(CurrentLevel * 0.04) - 2
Defence - floor(CurrentLevel * 0.04) - 2
Strength - floor(CurrentLevel * 0.04) - 2
Is available to free players.
|Mature dwarven stout||2||Visible|| Hitpoints 2|
Attack - floor(CurrentLevel * 0.04) - 3
Defence - floor(CurrentLevel * 0.04) - 3
Strength - floor(CurrentLevel * 0.04) - 3
|Dragon pickaxe||3||Visible||Uses 100% of Special attack bar. Requires 60 Attack to wield.|
|Infernal pickaxe||3||Visible||Uses 100% of Special attack bar. Requires 60 Attack to wield.|
|3rd age pickaxe||3||Visible||Uses 100% of Special attack bar. Requires 65 Attack to wield.|
|Crystal pickaxe||3||Visible||Uses 100% of Special attack bar. Requires 70 Attack and 50 Agility to wield.|
|Celestial ring||4||Invisible||Boost applies for both the charged and uncharged ring. Does not allow you to mine higher level rocks (e.g. 81 mining does not allow you to mine runite ore).|
|Celestial signet||4||Invisible||Boost applies for both the charged and uncharged signet. Does not allow you to mine higher level rocks (e.g. 81 mining does not allow you to mine runite ore).|
|±0-5||Visible|| Hitpoints 11|
Depending on type of stew, any skill except Hitpoints can be boosted or reduced by 0 to 5 levels randomly.
|Mining Guild||7||Invisible||The boost takes effect while player is within the members-only area of the Mining Guild.
Does not allow you to mine higher level rocks (e.g. 78 mining does not allow you to mine runite ore).
Quests[edit | edit source]
Quests requiring Mining[edit | edit source]
|Other skill requirements|
|The Knight's Sword||10||-|
|Tale of the Righteous||10||16 , 20% Shayzien favour|
|In Aid of the Myreque||15||25 , 7|
|The Lost Tribe||17||13 , 13|
|Tears of Guthix||20||49 , 20|
|Darkness of Hallowvale||20||40 , 22 , 5 , 26 , 32 , 33|
|Elemental Workshop I||20||20 , 20|
|Spirits of the Elid||37||37 , 33 , 37|
|Between a Rock...||40||30 , 50|
|Family Crest||40||59 , 40 , 40|
|Watchtower||40||15 , 15 , 25 , 14|
|A Kingdom Divided||42||54 , 52 , 52 , 50 , 38 , 35|
|Heroes' Quest||50||55 , 53 , 53 , 25|
|Legends' Quest||52||50 , 50 , 45 , 56 , 42 , 50 , 50 , 50 , 50|
|Lunar Diplomacy||60||65 , 61 , 40 , 49 , 5 , 55|
|Dragon Slayer II||68||75 , 70 , 62 , 60 , 60 , 50 , 50|
|Song of the Elves||70||70 , 70 , 70 , 70 , 70 , 70 , 70|
|Making Friends with My Arm||72||35 , 66 , 68|
Quests rewarding Mining experience[edit | edit source]
|The Forsaken Tower||500||-||20% Lovakengj favour|
|The Giant Dwarf||2,500||-||14 , 12 , 16 , 33|
|Heroes' Quest||2,575||50||55 , 53 , 53 , 25|
|Another Slice of H.A.M.||3,000||-||15 , 25|
|The Lost Tribe||3,000||17||13 , 13|
|Between a Rock...||5,000||40||30 , 50|
|Enakhra's Lament||7,000||45 -optional||50 , 45 , 43 , 39|
|The Dig Site||15,300||-||10 , 10 , 25|
|Song of the Elves||40,000||70||70 , 70 , 70 , 70 , 70 , 70 , 70|
|Making Friends with My Arm||50,000||72||35 , 66 , 68|
|Dragon Slayer II||60,000||68||200 , 75 , 70 , 62 , 60 , 60 , 50 ,|
Skill choice[edit | edit source]
Upon completing any of the following quests, players may choose to allocate experience to Mining. These rewards usually come in the form of items, such as lamps or books, and are independent of any experience rewards directly received for completing the quest.
|Skills available||Skill requirements|
|X Marks the Spot||300||Any||None|
|Client of Kourend||500 twice||Any||None|
|Fairytale II - Cure a Queen||2,500||Any skill above 30||49 , 57|
|A Tail of Two Cats||2,500 twice||Any skill above 30||None|
|The Great Brain Robbery||5,000||Any skill above 30||16 , 30 , 50|
|King's Ransom||5,000||Any skill above 50||65|
|Darkness of Hallowvale||2,000 three times||Any skill above 30||5 , 20 , 22 , 32 , 33 , 40|
|A Taste of Hope||2,500 three times||Any skill above 35||48 , 40 , 40 , 45 , 38|
|A Kingdom Divided||10,000||Any skill above 40|| 54 , 52 , 52 , 50 , 42 ,|
38 , 35
|10,000||Any skill above 40||None|
|In Search of Knowledge|
|10,000||Any skill above 40||None|
|Curse of the Empty Lord|
|10,000||Any skill above 50||Some players will need 31|
|One Small Favour||10,000 twice||Any skill above 30||36 , 25 , 18 , 30|
|Recipe for Disaster|
(The final battle)
|20,000||Any skill above 50|| 175 , 70 , 48 , 50 , 53 ,|
53 , 25 , 59 , 40 , 50 ,
40 , 40 , 10 , 10 , 36
|Sins of the Father||15,000 six times||Any skill above 60||62 , 60 , 56 , 52 , 50 , 50 , 49|
Changes[edit | edit source]
|15 March 2023
(update | poll)
Most mining objects named "Rocks" has been renamed to "[ore type] rock". As a result, the "Prospect" option on all mineable rocks have been removed as it is no longer necessary.
|7 December 2022
|5 March 2015
(update | poll)
You now have a 10% chance to mine 2 ores at once for the completion of Varrock Diaries:
|6 June 2013
The mining animation has been updated to make it play an appropriate sound effect.
|31 May 2013
(update | poll)
The pickaxe animation, used when players mine normal rocks, has been reverted to an older version.
|22 February 2013
This content was included when the Old School RuneScape servers officially launched.
References[edit | edit source]
- Jagex. Mod Ash's Twitter account. 28 October 2019. Archived from the original on 16 May 2020. Mod Ash: "Your level affects the chance of getting ore each time the game rolls; your pickaxe affects how often that happens."
- Jagex. Mod Ash's Twitter account. 11 February 2020. Archived from the original on 9 May 2020. Mod Ash: "It adds a gem roll before each ore roll, and if you receive a gem you don't get the ore roll."
- Jagex. Mod Ash's Twitter account. 12 February 2017. Archived from the original on 18 June 2019. Mod Ash: "1 / 86 rather than 1/256 for a gem."
|Mining rocks and sources|