- The official world for Ourania Altar is world 327 (P2P).
The Ourania Altar (also known as the ZMI Altar) is one of the several Runecrafting altars located throughout RuneScape. The altar is in the Ourania Cave, which is west of the Battlefield, and south of West Ardougne.
Originally released on 18 September 2007, the Ourania Altar was not included in Old School's initial launch because it was not a part of the game at the time of the 10 August 2007 backup of RuneScape the servers were based on. However, it was later revealed by the developers that the Altar existed in near-complete form in their archive, and in 2016 a Developer's Blog was written asking players if they wanted it released into the live game, offering some slight improvements compared to the original. After passing a subsequent poll, it was released on 13 October 2016.
The Ourania Altar converts pure essence into an assortment of random runes with a chance of bonus runes being created if players have the medium Ardougne Diary completed. The altar, which requires no talisman, tiara or staff to enter, gives double the normal experience for each pure essence used. Rune essence cannot be used. Players do not need a specific Runecraft level in order to craft at this altar, but the chance of crafting higher-levelled runes increases with a higher Runecraft level. Players can not craft a wrath rune through the Ourania Altar; this is the only rune uncraftable at the Altar outside of combination runes.
Once inside the Ourania Cave, quickly reached by an Ourania Teleport (from the lunar spellbook), players may use a bank there that requires a payment of 20 non combination runes of any type. They can then go to the altar by taking either a short and dangerous route or a longer and safe route. Note that the long, curving path has no monsters. At the end of the long path, there is a crack that requires no Agility level to cross.
After an update on 2 May 2019, players are no longer allowed to trade pure essence- noted or unnoted- to other players. Attempting to do so gives the message, You can't trade this item here. Players are also not able to pick up pure essence that is dropped by another player or dropped by a monster killed by another player while in the Ourania Cave, and attempting to do so gives the message, You can't take that - it doesn't seem to be yours. This update was done as players were able to obtain up to four times the polled experience rates through the use of runner accounts who would ferry essence to and from their bank.
Getting there[edit | edit source]
- Casting Ourania Teleport requires 71 Magic and Lunar Diplomacy, and places the player on the path to the altar entrance.
- Use Spirit trees requires completion of The Grand Tree to teleport from the Tree Gnome Village to the Battlefield and walk south-west.
- Cast Ardougne Teleport, requiring 51 Magic and Plague City, and head south-west.
- Teleport to the Ardougne Monastery with the Ardougne cloak, and walk west.
- Teleport to Castle Wars with the ring of dueling, and walk north from the lobby.
Mechanics[edit | edit source]
The player is able to craft all runes that are available in the game (except combination runes and wrath runes), despite not having the required level or quest requirements. However, the higher the player's Runecraft level, the higher-levelled the crafted runes will be. The experience here is double to what players would normally get for each pure essence.
Completion of the medium Ardougne Diary adds a chance of creating more runes in the Ourania Altar (rune output is increased by roughly 15%), though no extra experience is gained. The cloak does not need to be equipped for this to occur.
Paths[edit | edit source]
There are two paths leading to the altar: a shorter, dangerous route, and a longer, safe route.
Longer route[edit | edit source]
This route is a long winding pathway. Once players reach the end of the path, they will have to squeeze through a small crack in the wall (which has no Agility requirements) to reach the altar.
Shorter route[edit | edit source]
The shorter route contains Zamorak warriors, mages, rangers and crafters, and cave lizards, all of which are aggressive to players of any combat level. The warriors, mages and rangers often fight cave lizards when there are no players around. Higher level players wearing a combination of Magic and Melee armour can run through relatively unscathed.
Method[edit | edit source]
The key is to wear weight-reducing clothing and some protection against the members of the Zamorak Magical Institute, who are aggressive and fight with all three styles. It is recommended to wear armour with Magic defence. Players can use Protect from Missiles and recharge Prayer at the altar by the ladder to the underground cave, this is convenient should players be using Ourania Teleport. Wearing a Hitpoints cape and regen bracelet can also help reduce the risk of needing food. A setup is shown to the right.
It is recommended to take the short path whilst playing on the designated Ourania Altar world, 327. Which is often filled with other runecrafters running to the altar causing damage is spread across multiple players, such that protection prayers are rarely needed.
The Ourania Teleport is highly recommended for training at the Ourania Altar, teleporting players close to the entrance of the dungeon. Players can bank between runs either by using 20 runes at Eniola between runs, or by using another bank such as the Lunar Isle bank via Lunar isle teleport or at Castle Wars via ring of dueling teleport.
Experience rates[edit | edit source]
Data suggests that the chance of getting a specific rune changes based on level. However, the chance is the same for every 10 levels, i.e. the chance of getting a Death Rune is the exact same at level 30-39 but will increase significantly at level 40.
|Runecraft Level||Experience per hour|
Banking[edit | edit source]
Eniola will allow players to access their bank in exchange for 20 of any one type of rune. Using inexpensive runes including elemental, body, and mind runes is common payment from players. Players can speak to him to set up a quick-payment deal, where they can choose which runes Eniola will automatically take from the player upon banking. He can take the payment runes from a rune pouch. Combination runes cannot be used in order to access the bank.
Usage of bank fillers is highly recommended with crafting runes at the Ourania Altar due to multiple runes being crafted and needing to be banked. This enables a player to have the ability to click the Deposit Inventory button without depositing any rune pouches or runes used to bank.
There are a few other methods of banking when training Runecraft at the Ourania Altar:
- Teleport up and down between Lunar Isle (Home Teleport or Moonclan Teleport) and the Ourania Altar (Ourania Teleport). Tele Group Moonclan tends to land the player a few squares closer to the bank than Moonclan Teleport.
- The ring of dueling will teleport to the Castle Wars lobby.
- Crafting cape to teleport to the Crafting guild.
- The amulet of glory can be used to teleport to Edgeville. This is effective for players with 89 Magic who have completed the Hard Fremennik Diary, as they have access to the Recharge Dragonstone spell.
Changes[edit | edit source]
|2 May 2019
|Trading essence within the Ourania caves was disabled to prevent experience rates reaching multiple times above the polled rates through the use of runners.|
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Ourania (Ουρανία), or Urania, was the muse of astronomy in Greek mythology (the name means "heavenly" or "of heaven" in Ancient Greek). This is significant considering the proximity of the grave of the astronomer Scorpius and the Observatory.
- The Ourania Altar is one of a handful of vanilla content releases in Old School RuneScape that dates from after August 2007 but was able to be included with minimal development time due to it existing within the game's original archive. Other examples include the God Wars Dungeon (mostly finished due to its impending release in late August 2007) and the Smoke devil (an existing asset which was originally released as a Summoning familiar in 2008).