|Released||13 October 2016 (Update)|
|Examine||An altar upon which to craft runes.|
The Ourania Altar (also known as the ZMI Altar) is one of the several runic altars located throughout RuneScape. The altar is in the Ourania Cave, which is west of the Battlefield, and south of West Ardougne.
Originally released on 18 September 2007, the Ourania Altar was not included in Old School's initial launch because it was not a part of the game at the time of the 10 August 2007 backup of RuneScape the servers were based on. However, it was later revealed by the developers that the Altar existed in near-complete form in their archive, and in 2016 a Developer's Blog was written asking players if they wanted it released into the live game, offering some slight improvements compared to the original. After passing a subsequent poll, it was released on 13 October 2016.
The Ourania Altar converts pure essence into an assortment of random runes with a chance of bonus runes being created if players have the medium Ardougne Diary completed. The altar, which requires no talisman, tiara or staff to enter, gives 170% the normal experience for each pure essence used. Rune essence cannot be used. Players do not need a specific Runecraft level in order to craft at this altar, but the chance of crafting higher-levelled runes increases with a higher Runecraft level. Players can not craft a wrath rune through the Ourania Altar; this is the only rune uncraftable at the Altar outside of combination runes.
Once inside the Ourania Cave, quickly reached by an Ourania Teleport (from the lunar spellbook), players may use a bank there that requires a payment of 20 non combination runes of any type. They can then go to the altar by taking either a short and dangerous route or a longer and safe route. Note that the long, curving path has no monsters. At the end of the long path, there is a crack that requires no Agility level to cross.
After a game integrity update on 2 May 2019, players are no longer allowed to trade pure essence- noted or unnoted- to other players. Attempting to do so gives the message, You can't trade this item here. Players are also not able to pick up pure essence that is dropped by another player or dropped by a monster killed by another player while in the Ourania Cave, and attempting to do so gives the message, You can't take that - it doesn't seem to be yours. This update was done as players were able to obtain up to four times the polled experience rates through the use of runner accounts who would ferry essence to and from their bank.
Getting there[edit | edit source]
- Casting Ourania Teleport requires 71 Magic and Lunar Diplomacy, and places the player on the path to the altar entrance.
- Using an Ourania teleport (tablet), placing the player in the same place as above
- Use Spirit trees requires completion of The Grand Tree to teleport to the Battlefield and walk south-west.
- Cast Ardougne Teleport, requiring 51 Magic and Plague City, and head south-west.
- Teleport to the Ardougne Monastery with the Ardougne cloak, and walk west.
- Teleport to Castle Wars with the ring of dueling, and walk north from the lobby.
Mechanics[edit | edit source]
The player is able to craft all runes that are available in the game (except combination runes and wrath runes), despite not having the required level or quest requirements. However, the higher the player's Runecraft level, the higher-levelled the crafted runes will be. The experience here is 1.7 times what players would normally get for each pure essence.
When using Daeyalt essence at ZMI the experience is calculated as
Ardougne diary[edit | edit source]
Completion of the medium Ardougne Diary adds a chance of crafting an extra rune at the Ourania Altar, though no extra experience is gained. The cloak does not need to be equipped for this to occur.
The chance to double the rune crafted varies by type, with the following estimates:
Rune distribution[edit | edit source]
The distribution of runes given at the ZMI altar depends on the player's Runecraft level. There are separate distributions defined for each ten-level band: one for level 1 to 9, another for 10 to 19, 20 to 29, and so on, with level 99 having its own distribution.
Paths[edit | edit source]
There are two paths leading to the altar: a shorter, dangerous route, and a longer, safe route.
Longer route[edit | edit source]
This route is a long winding pathway. Once players reach the end of the path, they will have to squeeze through a small crack in the wall (which has no Agility requirements) to reach the altar.
Shorter route[edit | edit source]
The shorter route contains Zamorak warriors, mages, rangers and cave lizards, all of which are aggressive to players of any combat level. There are also Zamorak crafters, who are not aggressive to players above level 38, and will walk back and forth to Eniola. The warriors, mages and rangers often fight cave lizards when there are no players around. Higher level players wearing a combination of Magic and Melee armour can run through relatively unscathed. As this is a multicombat area, unprepared players can be rapidly damaged by multiple damage types by enemies with fast attacks.
Method[edit | edit source]
The key is to wear weight-reducing clothing and some protection against the members of the Zamorak Magical Institute, who are aggressive and fight with all three styles. It is recommended to wear armour with Magic defence. Players can use Protect from Missiles and recharge Prayer at the altar by the ladder to the underground cave; this is convenient should players be using Ourania Teleport. Wearing a Hitpoints cape and regen bracelet can also help reduce the risk of needing food. A setup is shown to the right.
It is recommended to take the short path whilst playing on the designated Ourania Altar world, 327, which is often filled with other runecrafters running to the altar, causing damage to be spread across multiple players and, as such, protection prayers are rarely needed.
The Ourania Teleport is highly recommended for training at the Ourania Altar, teleporting players close to the entrance of the dungeon. Players can bank between runs by using 20 runes at Eniola between runs, by using another bank such as the Lunar Isle bank via Moonclan Teleport, or Castle Wars/Ferox Enclave via ring of dueling teleport. The Ferox Enclave also has a Pool of Refreshment to restore run energy and Hitpoints. Another alternative for players with access to Spellbook Swap and the arceuus spellbook following the quest A Kingdom Divided is the spell Vile Vigour, which combined with the prayer altar located above the ladder, allows for easy access to more run energy without the use of stamina potions.
Rather than selecting the follow option, it is recommended to use an item on another player or to trade them as it will allow the player to follow them the entire way to the altar without getting trapped behind the walls.
Experience rates[edit | edit source]
Based on the rune distribution shown above, the chance of getting a specific rune is the same for 10 levels, i.e. the chance of getting a Death Rune is the exact same at level 30-39 but will increase significantly at level 40.
These experience rates assume players are using a rune pouch, have all of the essence pouches available at each level, and the Ourania Teleport spell is being used. The actual experience rates received may differ.
Using a Colossal pouch at level 85, it's possible to use 5200 essence per hour, resulting in 118369 experience per hour if Daeyalt essence is being used.
Banking[edit | edit source]
Eniola will allow players to access their bank in exchange for 20 of any one type of rune. Using inexpensive runes including elemental, body, and mind runes is common payment from players. Players can speak to him to set up a quick-payment deal, where they can choose which runes Eniola will automatically take from the player upon banking. He can take the payment runes from a rune pouch. Combination runes cannot be used in order to access the bank. The best runes for payment, if buying them from the Grand Exchange, are Mind runes which cost 40 coins per trip, at 2 each rune.
Usage of bank fillers is highly recommended with crafting runes at the Ourania Altar due to multiple runes being crafted and needing to be banked. This enables a player to have the ability to click the Deposit Inventory button without depositing any rune pouches or runes used to bank.
There are a few other methods of banking when training Runecraft at the Ourania Altar:
- Teleport up and down between Lunar Isle (Home Teleport or Moonclan Teleport) and the Ourania Altar (Ourania Teleport). Tele Group Moonclan tends to land the player a few squares closer to the bank than Moonclan Teleport.
- The ring of dueling will teleport to the Castle Wars lobby.
- Crafting cape to teleport to the Crafting guild.
- The amulet of glory can be used to teleport to Edgeville. This is effective for players with 89 Magic who have completed the Hard Fremennik Diary, as they have access to the Recharge Dragonstone spell. Players can also use the Charge dragonstone jewellery scroll.
Changes[edit | edit source]
|23 March 2022
The name of the altar has been renamed from "Runecrafting altar" to "Altar".
|2 May 2019
Trading essence within the Ourania caves was disabled to prevent experience rates reaching multiple times above the polled rates through the use of runners.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Ourania (Ουρανία), or Urania, was the muse of astronomy in Greek mythology (the name means "heavenly" or "of heaven" in Ancient Greek). This is significant considering the proximity of the grave of the astronomer Scorpius and the Observatory.
- The Ourania Altar is one of a handful of vanilla content releases in Old School RuneScape that dates from after August 2007 but was able to be included with minimal development time due to it existing within the game's original archive. Other examples include the God Wars Dungeon (mostly finished due to its impending release in late August 2007) and the smoke devil (an existing asset which was originally released as a Summoning familiar in 2008).
- Along with the Astral Altar, it is one of two runic altars that has survived entirely intact with no external damage.
References[edit | edit source]
- Jagex. Mod Ash's Twitter account. 4 October 2020. (Archived from the original on 5 October 2020.) Mod Ash: "A number up to 10,000 is picked, and compared against the contents of the enclosed table. E.g. For a player with level 20, values 0-7 would give a soul rune, 8-22 give a blood rune, 23-54 give a death rune, 55-109 give a law rune, etc. "
|Raiments of the Eye|