|Released||24 April 2014 (Update)|
|Examine||Prospector Percy has a machine that can wash this.|
|High alch||12 coins|
|Low alch||8 coins|
Pay-dirt is obtained whilst mining ore veins within the Motherlode Mine. Mining pay-dirt grants 60 (up to 61.5 with full prospector outfit) Mining experience and requires a minimum Mining level of 30. Pay-dirt can be cleaned by depositing them into the hopper in the centre of the mine. Once cleaned players must search a sack to claim their ores, which is dependent on the player's Mining level. Pay-dirt cannot be deposited in the bank.
Players have a 7/256 (~2.73%) chance of obtaining a golden nugget per pay-dirt, which can be used to purchase the prospector outfit and other mining-related rewards from Prospector Percy's Nugget Shop.
What the pay-dirt becomes is determined at the time it is mined. If using a temporary boost, to try to get ore above your level, use the boost while mining, as opposed to using the boost at the hopper and sack.
The double-ore bonus from Varrock armour does not apply to pay-dirt.
Mining info[edit | edit source]
|Mining XP||60 xp|
|Respawn time||1 minute|
Mining chance[edit | edit source]
Cleaning[edit | edit source]
To clean the pay-dirt, deposit it into the hopper attached to the water circuit. When deposited, the pay-dirt will flow towards the sack at the other end. The sack can be searched to collect various ores and golden nuggets.
If a player logs out, or leaves the mine, while they have ores waiting to be collected, they will be there when they return.
Receiving each type of ore has a mining level requirement equal to the requirement for mining that tier of rock. Higher tier ores will also provide higher amounts of bonus experience when the pay-dirt reaches the sack.
Bonus experience is awarded when the deposited pay-dirt reaches the sack, not when the pay-dirt is deposited into the hopper or when the ores are drawn from the sack.
The average total experience per pay-dirt mined (including the bonus experience earned when deposited) is 79.1 with level 85 Mining and the full Prospector kit equipped. Using the ores in Smithing averages 51.125 experience per ore. If all the ores are collected from 85 to 99 Mining at Motherlode Mine, it will average out to 6,344,981 Smithing experience.
Ore rates[edit | edit source]
The ore received from pay-dirt is based on the player's Mining level, with better ores becoming more common at higher levels.
Ores are determined when the pay-dirt is mined, not when cleaning. Pay-dirt rolls for each ore in descending order, starting from the top tier you're eligible to get. With the Falador Elite diary, the success chance to receive an ore is increased by ~1%. Higher level ore can be obtained by using a mining boost such as a dwarven stout or the dragon pickaxe's special attack while mining. This might be important for Ironmen who would like a low effort way to obtain ores above their mining levels.
Changes[edit | edit source]
The Medium Falador Diary and Hard Falador Diary no longer provide any increased chance of receiving higher ores when cleaning pay dirt.
|18 June 2015
(update | poll)
The slight increased chance at receiving higher ores when cleaning pay-dirt if you have completed the Falador Hard Diary and a further increased chance if you have completed the Falador Elite Diary is now correctly applied.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Upon death in 20+ wilderness, one pay-dirt is converted to two coins.
- While the pay-dirt is getting cleaned, its examine changes to It's getting cleaned in the channel of water.
- On average, you will get 1 nugget per 2,200 experience points gained.
- Because of this, if you begin mining at Motherlode Mine at level 60 and don't mine anywhere else until 72, you will have 280 Golden Nuggets- enough to buy the full prospector kit and unlock the upper level of the mine.
References[edit | edit source]
- Jagex. Mod Ash's Twitter account. 8 June 2015. Archived from the original on 1 December 2019. Mod Ash: "When it is mined. It'd stay as runite even if your level drops before you clean it."
- Jagex. Mod Ash's Twitter account. 22 June 2022. Archived from the original on 22 July 2022.
- Jagex. Mod Ash's Twitter account. 13 June 2022. Archived from the original on 22 July 2022.
- Jagex. Mod Ash's Twitter account. 15 March 2020. Archived from the original on 15 March 2020. Mod Ash: "There's just one buff to pay-dirt, and it's for the elite diary only. This matches what the diary master says if asked."
|Mining rocks and sources|
|Prospector Percy's Nugget Shop|