Pay-to-play Smithing training
Fastest experience[edit | edit source]
Levels 1–37 – Questing[edit | edit source]
Completing The Knight's Sword, Elemental Workshop I and II, The Giant Dwarf, Heroes' Quest and Pirate Pete subquest of Recipe for Disaster will grant a total of 30,982 experience, elevating a level 1 Smithing to level 37. Players would then only need to make 50 iron platebodies to get level 40 Smithing, where they can start smelting gold bars in the Blast Furnace. Completing at least The Knight's Sword is strongly recommended, as it gives 12,725 Smithing experience upon completion, elevating a level 1 Smithing to level 29 immediately.
Levels 1–30 – Bronze items[edit | edit source]
If questing isn't an option, smith the highest-level bronze item you're able to.
Levels 30–40 – Iron items[edit | edit source]
Smith the highest-level iron item you're able to.
Levels 40–99 – Gold bars (Blast Furnace)[edit | edit source]
Smelting gold bars in the Blast Furnace is by far the fastest, although a costly way to train Smithing. This requires having access to goldsmith gauntlets (requires completion of Family Crest), which increase the base experience of 22.5 to 56.2 experience per bar. Players can gain up to 380,000 experience per hour at maximum efficiency with this method if using one of the official Blast Furnace worlds, which have dwarven workers operating the Blast Furnace. Below level 60, the Blast Furnace Foreman requires a small payment every 10 minutes to be able to use the furnace.
231,268 gold ores are required to achieve 99 Smithing if using the goldsmith gauntlets. Gold ores are worth 354 and gold bars are worth 92. Stamina potions, which are mandatory for optimal experience rates, are consumed at a rate of 1 dose in 1 minute and 30 seconds, and paying the workers costs 72,000 an hour. Thus when using goldsmith gauntlets for 56.2 experience per bar, training with gold bars costs -5.07 gp per experience. Exclusively training via gold ore from 40 to 99 would result in a loss of -65,871,404.74 gp after selling the created gold bars.
To achieve the maximum experience rates, all of the following points must be carefully followed to the best of your ability (in order of priority):
- Make sure you are wearing Goldsmith gauntlets when the experience drop for smelting your ore appears. You do not need to wear them when adding to the conveyor belt. Rather you must wear them a few moments afterwards (when the gold bars appear in the Bar dispenser).
- Use ice gloves to save an inventory space for more gold ore. See point 5 for details on when you should swap between your ice gloves and Goldsmith gauntlets.
- Use stamina potions, but do not carry them on your person. When you are low on run energy, take out a Stamina potion (4) from your bank at the same time you collect gold ore (as a consequence you will only take out 26 gold ore for this run). Drink the entire potion while running between tasks and finally drop the empty vial before returning to the bank chest. This will allow you to run 27 gold ore to the conveyor belt for most runs while occasionally going down to 26 to recharge your run energy.
- Wear the best Weight-reducing clothing you have available to you with preference towards the Spotted cape, Boots of lightness, Graceful hood, Graceful top, and Graceful legs.
- Before you do anything, add 27 gold ore to the conveyor belt. Once smelted, these 27 gold ore should remain in the "Bar dispenser". This will allow you to immediately left-click the "Take Bar dispenser" option after adding more gold ore to the conveyor belt saving you the time you'd otherwise have to wait for the bars to smelt. Of course this means you should be wearing your Ice gloves when adding ore to the conveyor belt so that you can collect the gold bars. In order to ensure you still get the double exp from your Goldsmith gauntlets, you will have to put them back on immediately after you receive your gold bars from the dispenser. Despite there being a small window to swap gloves, this can be easily done by simply pressing the space bar the moment the prompt (asking for how many bars you'd like to remove) appears and then immediately swapping to your Goldsmith gauntlets via left-click. Done correctly, you should still receive the typical ~1,500 experience drop each run.
- Fill your bank with Bank filler via the banking menu to allow you to use the Deposit inventory option to dump only your freshly smelted gold bars into your bank in one click. Ensure you do not have any Placeholders for either of your gloves so that they do not get dumped into your bank.
- Make sure you hide the 'Deposit worn items' button via the banking menu so that you don't accidentally click it when dumping your inventory.
- Set your bank withdrawal quantity to "All" to quickly retrieve a full inventory of gold ore from your bank.
Other methods[edit | edit source]
Level 15–99 – Blast Furnace[edit | edit source]
Smelting bars (other than gold or silver) in the Blast Furnace offers relatively slow experience, but makes decent profit. Having the coal bag and ice gloves is essential for this, as otherwise bars would be created at a much slower rate, hampering profit and experience rates. Players will also need weight-reducing clothing and stamina potions to always have run energy.
These numbers assume you are using one of the official worlds, a coal bag, ice gloves, and 30 stamina potion doses per hour.
|Level||Bar||Method||Experience per bar||Bars per hour||Experience per hour||Profit per experience||Profit per hour|
|15 Smithing||Iron bars||12.5||6000||75,000||5.02||376,590|
|30 Smithing||Steel bars||17.5||5400||94,500||5.41||511,590|
|50 Smithing||Mithril bars||30||3600||108,000||5.69||614,190|
|70 Smithing||Adamantite bars||37.5||2700||101,250||7.29||738,390|
|85 Smithing||Runite bars||50||2150||107,500||9.04||972,040|
Levels 34–99 – Dart tips[edit | edit source]
Smithing dart tips offers slow experience, but it requires very little attention and usually breaks even or makes a small profit due their high demand for their use of training Fletching. Always check the prices before buying the bars and selling the dart tips. Making any type of dart tips requires completion of The Tourist Trap quest.
Keep in mind that the 'coins per experience' calculations below are based on buying the bars at the Grand Exchange, not on smithing bars you've smelted from ore you mined.
The below list assumes 10,000 dart tips are made per hour.
|Level||Bar||Experience per bar||Experience per hour||Profit/loss per experience||Profit/loss per hour|
Levels 88–99 – Adamant platebodies[edit | edit source]
Smithing adamant platebodies offers decent experience, and it is cheaper and requires less effort than making gold bars in the Blast Furnace. Players can gain up to 240,000 experience per hour with this method. Wearing weight-reducing gear and drinking stamina potions (if needed) is recommended.
Currently, smithing adamant platebodies costs -2.64 coins per experience.
Quest experience rewards[edit | edit source]
- 1,000 - Recipe for Disaster
- 2,257 - Heroes' Quest
- 2,500 - The Giant Dwarf
- 5,000 - Between a Rock...
- 5,000 - Elemental Workshop I
- 6,500 - Devious Minds
- 7,000 - Cabin Fever
- 7,500 - Elemental Workshop II
- 12,725 - The Knight's Sword
- 25,000 - Dragon Slayer II
Total: 74,482 experience