Pay-to-play Woodcutting training
This guide outlines the best methods for training the Woodcutting skill. The profit from woodcutting is very low compared to other money-making methods and the profitable methods offer very slow experience per hour. It can be considered to be more beneficial to perform the fastest experience methods and use the saved time to make money from alternative methods.
Equipment[edit | edit source]
The only item required to cut wood is an axe, either equipped or in a player's inventory. One should always use the best axe available at a Woodcutting level. Dragon axe's special attack can be used to temporarily boost one's Woodcutting level by 3, which stacks with the level bonus provided by the Woodcutting Guild.
If the player does not have enough charges to use the crystal axe, using the infernal axe (making one requires level 85 Firemaking) is recommended if not banking the logs. It will burn 1/3 of the logs cut, reducing the need to drop logs and also providing passive Firemaking experience. The infernal axe can be charged with dragon axes, which are usually cheap.
The Lumberjack outfit obtained from the Temple Trekking minigame provides a total of 2.5% bonus experience per log cut. The outfit is worth getting timewise if the player is going for 99 Woodcutting, as it only takes less than an hour to obtain all four pieces if using route 1 and skipping all events except the one with undead lumberjacks.
Fastest experience[edit | edit source]
To gain Woodcutting experience most efficiently, players should always drop the logs they cut. Players should quickly drop their items by holding the shift key and clicking on the logs.
Levels 1–26: Questing[edit | edit source]
Completing Monk's Friend, Enlightened Journey, Icthlarin's Little Helper, and the Skrach Uglogwee subquest of Recipe for Disaster grants a total of 9,000 experience, elevating a level 1 Woodcutting to 26.
Levels 1–15: Regular trees[edit | edit source]
From level 1 to 15, the player should cut regular trees. Each log gives 25 Woodcutting experience. 97 logs are required to reach level 15.
Levels 15–35: Oak trees[edit | edit source]
From level 15 to 35, the player should cut oak trees. Each log gives 37.5 Woodcutting experience. 534 logs are required to reach level 35.
Even though willow trees become available at level 30, cutting oak trees offers slightly faster experience at these levels.
Levels 35–99: Teak trees[edit | edit source]
Cutting teaks offers the fastest experience in the game when using tick manipulation. If the player is not using any sort of tick manipulation, cutting teak trees offers the fastest experience only up to level 65.
1.5-tick woodcutting teaks on Fossil Island is the fastest training method in the game. However, it is extremely click-intensive and can be hard to learn. 1.5-tick woodcutting is done by setting up a 3-tick cycle (such as using swamp tar on a clean herb) and alternating tiles next to the hardwood patches. When timed correctly, the player has a chance to receive 2 logs at once. Using an infernal axe is strongly recommended for this method, as it reduces the amount of logs that need to be dropped. The player may also need stamina potions to sustain run energy.
Experience rates for 1.5-tick woodcutting scale depending on the level, and long-term rates vary depending on performance. At level 99, it is possible to gain up 200,000–220,000 experience per hour.
2-tick woodcutting teaks is a slightly slower, but less attention and click intensive alternative to 1.5-tick woodcutting teaks on Fossil Island. 2-tick woodcutting is done by auto-retaliating to being attacked every two ticks and clicking on a tree. This can be set up in Isle of Souls or Ape Atoll using two birds, in Prifddinas using two rabbits, or on a PvP worlds with another player. (Ape Atoll is not recommended however due to the mobs that will poison the player). Due to the way Auto Retaliate works, it's possible to receive a log once every two ticks, effectively doubling the normal amount of experience per hour. Simply having a shortbow equipped and set to Rapid and having Auto Retaliate on will ensure that every time the player retaliates, they'll also have a chance of receiving a log. Clicking the ground, dropping an item, making darts, or equipping an item will cancel and reset the action of woodcutting.
Experience rates for 2-tick woodcutting scale depending on the level. At level 99, it is possible to gain up to 175,000–180,000 experience per hour. If cutting teaks in Prifddinas, players can expect to gain up to around 165,000 experience per hour, which is slightly lower than on Ape Atoll but the player also receives crystal shards.
On Fossil Island, it is possible to cut teaks every two ticks without setting up any NPCs or being on a PVP world. This can be useful if banking logs. To perform this method, click to move on a tick when the skilling timer is 2 (e.g. on the tick after an XP drop), then click on the tree on the next tick. The movement on the tick before the skilling timer hits zero causes there to be two rolls instead of one: this makes there be two rolls every four ticks, which is almost equivalent to one roll every two ticks in terms of experience per hour. The equivalence is not exact because sometimes the tree falls after the first roll, causing the second roll to always fail. Conveniently, the method requires half as many clicks as the 2-tick Woodcutting method while being attacked. The skilling timer delay here happens automatically from "continuing" Woodcutting.
Without tick manipulation it is recommended to cut teaks only up to level 65, after which cutting sulliusceps offers faster experience. When using the best axe available, players can gain up to around 34,000 experience per hour at level 35, increasing to 47,000 experience per hour at level 50, and 62,000 experience per hour at level 65. At level 99, players can gain up to around 85,000 experience per hour.
192,771 teak logs are required to reach level 99 without the Lumberjack outfit. With the outfit, 187,952 teak logs are needed to reach level 99.
Other methods[edit | edit source]
Levels 62–90: Blisterwood tree[edit | edit source]
At level 62, with partial completion of Sins of the Father players are able to chop the Blisterwood Tree in Darkmeyer, gaining up to around 65,000 experience per hour prior to level 90. Chopping the Blisterwood tree offers experience rates comparable to Teak trees without manipulation, but is significantly less attention and click intensive. The Blisterwood tree provides 76 experience per log chopped, and never depletes. Occasionally, the player will stop cutting the tree, and will need to click again to resume cutting, similar to Redwood trees. There is a bank extremely close to the tree, however due to the logs being untradeable and having a low High Alchemy value (120gp), players often choose to instead drop them in order to maximize experience gain. Banking Blisterwood logs is typically done by players looking to train Firemaking since they're slightly better than burning Willow logs, with Blisterwood logs granting 96 Firemaking experience when burned.
Levels 65–99: Sulliuscep[edit | edit source]
Cutting sulliuscep mushroom trees on Fossil Island offers the fastest experience when not using tick manipulation. Sulliusceps are located in the Tar Swamp, which is in the south-western part of the island. There are six sulliusceps found throughout swamp, but only one is large enough to be chopped down at any given time, while all other locations will have sulliuscep sprouts in their location. Players must traverse the Tar Swamp to find the choppable sulliuscep, the location of which is unique to each player. Once chopped, the next sulliuscep will spawn, the location of which cycles through the same sequence over and over.
To access Fossil Island, players must have completed Bone Voyage. When in the swamp, players must also be able to withstand occasional attacks from Tar monsters and Spine mushrooms. The Spine mushrooms can also poison the player, so bringing a form of antipoison, such as an antidote++ or the prayer book, is also recommended. When wearing the Hitpoints cape and the regen bracelet, very little healing is usually required.
World 321 is the designated world for cutting sulliusceps. It is recommended to do this activity there to reduce the damage taken by tar monsters, as their attacks will be distributed among many players.
Experience rates scale depending on the Woodcutting level. At level 75, players can gain up to around 80,000 experience per hour, increasing to around 97,000 experience per hour at level 90 and 100,000–110,000 experience per hour at level 99. In total, to achieve level 99 woodcutting from 65, you will have to cut 97,778 sulliusceps assuming you wear the lumberjack outfit.
Assuming players keep the sulliuscep caps, numulite, and unidentified fossils, on average players obtain approximately the following numbers of items when chopping the 97,778 sulliusceps required for 99 woodcutting from 65:
- 978 sulliuscep caps, worth 1,237,170
- 264,000 numulite, worth 8,448,000
- 1399 unidentified small fossils, 70 of which are required for the Varrock museum, leaving 1329 unidentified small fossils to be used for Prayer experience at the mycelium pool
- 698 unidentified medium fossils, 60 of which are required for the museum, leaving 638 unidentified medium fossils for Prayer xp
- 559 unidentified large fossils, at least 50 of which are required for the museum. The player should clean fossils until at least 25 large and 25 plant fossils have been obtained. Plant fossils cannot be used in the mycelium pool, however unidentified large fossils can. Hence, the player should stop cleaning large fossils once the museum has been completed.
- 140 unidentified rare fossils, which can only be used for Prayer experience.
Through completing the Varrock museum fossil exhibit, 120,000 experience is obtained in skills of choice. The remaining 1,329 small, 638 medium, 509 large, and 140 rare fossils may then be converted at the mycelium pool, calcifying them using pyrophosphite and calcite. The recalcified bones can then be used on the most eastern strange machine in the House on the Hill for a total of 2,416,000 prayer experience. This amount of prayer experience would be worth 28,004,507 at the Chaos Altar in the wilderness using dragon bones. The expected average experience rate is 580,000 experience per hour for recalcifying and converting the fossils obtained from woodcutting, which takes on average about 4 hours and 20 minutes in total.
Levels 90–99: Redwood trees[edit | edit source]
Cutting redwood trees in the Woodcutting Guild requires very little attention and offers decent experience. Players can bank the logs in the nearby bank chest, but redwood logs are not worth very much as opposed to magic logs, based on the current Grand Exchange prices. It is faster to simply drop the logs for the best experience rates. Fletching logs into stackable arrow shafts can also be convenient if the player would like to put less effort, as this does not require dropping logs. This will lower experience rates, however.
Experience rates scale depending on level. When using the infernal or the dragon axe, players can expect to gain around 55,000–60,000 experience per hour at level 90, and 65,000–70,000 at level 99. With the crystal axe, players can gain up to 75,000–80,000 experience per hour.
Experience rates/profit at level 99[edit | edit source]
Note: The profit per hour for some logs is interpolated, and as such, may only be used as an approximation.
|Log||Level required||Experience per log||Experience per hour||Profit per hour at 99||Members?||Notes|
|Normal||1||25||10-15k||20,500||No||Includes dead, jungle, evergreen, and normal trees. The most common trees in Old School RuneScape. Each tree only provides one log.|
|Achey||1||25||17k||214,200||Yes||Achey Trees are used primarily to fletch Ogre Ranged equipment. They are located around Feldip Hills and near Castle Wars. One log per tree.|
|Oak||15||37.5||40k||73,554||No||Oak trees are fairly common in Old School RuneScape. A single oak tree can provide multiple logs.|
|Willow||30||67.5||40k||22,995||No||Willow trees are found near water and provide the fastest experience for free players. Members locations include Port Sarim, Draynor Village, Lumbridge, Rimmington, Catherby, Barbarian Outpost, Seers' Village, and the Woodcutting Guild.|
|Teak||35||85||90k-220k||249,314||Yes||Teak trees are found in the Hardwood Grove (entry requires 100 Trading sticks), Kharazi Jungle, Ape Atoll, Prifddinas, Isle of Souls, and the woods south of Castle Wars. They can also be grown on Fossil Island. Without tick-manipulation, the experience is 90k/hr.|
|Maple||45||100 [n 1]||36-60k (60k at WC Guild)||4,800||No||There are many maple trees between Rellekka and the Sinclair Mansion, several behind the Seers' Village bank, as well as 13 located in the Woodcutting Guild.|
|Bark||45||82.5||70k||22,896[n 2]||Yes||Hollow trees are found in the Haunted Woods. The trees provide bark. Bark can be made into splitbark armour.|
|Mahogany||50||125||45-48k||161,820||Yes||Mahogany trees are found primarily in the Hardwood Grove (entry requires 100 Trading sticks), Ape Atoll, the Kharazi Jungle, Prifddinas, Isle of Souls, and Mos Le'Harmless. They can also be grown on Fossil Island.|
|Arctic pine||54||40||14-20k||259,250||Yes||Arctic Pine trees are found on Neitiznot. They are used to make Neitiznot shields. A player must have started The Fremennik Isles to gain entry.|
|Yew||60||175||23-45k (45k at WC Guild)||85,000||No||Yew trees can be found by members at locations such as the Seers' Village churchyard, west of Catherby, Tree Gnome Stronghold, Prifddinas (between the southern bank and Zalcano portal) and the Woodcutting Guild. Free players can find Yew trees at Edgeville, south of Falador, in the Varrock Castle, and the Lumbridge graveyard.|
|Magic||75||250||25-35k (35k at WC Guild)||98,324||Yes||Magic trees are found at the Mage Training Arena, Sorcerer's Tower, Lletya, Seers' Village, Prifddinas, and the Woodcutting Guild. Players should use a dragon axe on these trees.|
|Redwood||90||380||60-70k||59,248||Yes||Redwood trees are found in the Woodcutting Guild (requiring 75% Hosidius favour) and in the Farming Guild (requiring 90 Farming and 60% Hosidius favour ).|
- Maple logs yield 110 experience with the completion of the medium Kandarin Diary.
- Bark is exchanged infrequently, therefore prices may be inaccurate.
Recommended tree locations[edit | edit source]
Regular trees[edit | edit source]
These are the most abundant of all tree varieties in Old School RuneScape, and can be found nearly anywhere. Because regular trees only provide a single log per tree, it is recommended to find an area with multiple trees; simply use the World Map to find a suitable location that has a bank nearby. Note that dead trees and evergreen trees all count as regular trees.
Oak trees[edit | edit source]
- Hosidius bank in Kourend is the closest spot for an oak tree to a bank deposit box a few tiles away.
- Quite a few are found just south of the Seers' Village bank. This is perhaps the most convenient location due to its proximity to a bank.
- Outside of the Castle Wars lobby, there is a large amount of oak trees that are close to bank.
- Three can be found along the path between Falador park and Falador west bank.
- Just east of the Draynor Village bank. Low level players should be careful here, as aggressive level 26 Jail guards patrol the area.
- Just outside the Varrock gates west of the west bank and east of the east bank.
- Tree Gnome Stronghold has some fairly close to its respective bank.
- 10 can be found along the southern Falador wall just north of the Falador farm, but it is quite far away from a bank compared to these other locations.
Willow trees[edit | edit source]
- Some are located just south of the Draynor Village bank, though it is often crowded during the day. Low level players should be careful here due to the Level 7 wizards, which are aggressive.
- 6 willow trees can be found north-west of the Seers' Village bank.
- The willows outside of Barbarian Assault are very close to a bank chest and not as crowded as Draynor Village willows.
- Several can be found in the Woodcutting Guild (requires level 60), are rarely crowded and are very close to a Bank deposit box.
- 12 are found in Hosidius (north of the Tithe Farm), with a bank north inside the Vinery. This location is not often crowded.
Teak trees[edit | edit source]
- One tree is located south-west of Castle Wars.
- One tree is located south-east of the Ruins of Uzer.
- On the south-east side of Ape Atoll (requires greegree at all times or completion of Monkey Madness II) but is not near a bank.
- Hardwood Grove in Tai Bwo Wannai (requires completion of Jungle Potion, 100 Trading sticks for entrance and some progress of the Tai Bwo Wannai Cleanup Minigame), you can bank nearby with Rionasta.
- 3 Hardwood tree patches are located on Fossil Island, where you could plant 3 private Teak trees for yourself. The tree patches are located besides each other within 3 tiles. As well as a bank which is located very close to these tree patches. The bank is accessed even faster using the shortcut through the hill which requires 70 agility.
- 2 trees are located north of Mos Le'Harmless by going through the Cave Horror cave.
- 3 can be found in the north-east corner of Prifddinas.
- 3 can be found in the northern area of The Isle of Souls.
Maple trees[edit | edit source]
- Several can be found in the Woodcutting Guild (requires level 60), and is recommended due to the level bonus and being very close to a Bank deposit box.
- Directly north of Seers' Village bank (4 trees there, and 3 more to the south) remains a popular location. Completion of the medium Kandarin Diary provides 10% extra XP (110 instead of 100 XP) at this location.
- 4 Maple trees can be found in the Corsair Cove Resource Area. This area is unlocked through The Corsair Curse quest and Dragon Slayer I quest.
- Several Maple trees are available east of the Shayzien general store in, with close proximity to a bank.
- 14 Maple trees are available on the Isle of Souls to the south of Soul Wars.
Mahogany trees[edit | edit source]
- Hardwood Grove in Tai Bwo Wannai (requires completion of Jungle Potion, 100 Trading sticks for entrance and some progress of the Tai Bwo Wannai Cleanup Minigame). You can bank nearby with Rionasta
- 3 Hardwood tree patches are located on Fossil Island. Where you could plant 3 private Mahogany trees with 55 farming for yourself. The tree patches are located beside each other within 3 tiles. As well as a bank which is located very close to these tree patches. The bank is even faster accessible using the shortcut through the hill which requires 70 Agility.
- 2 trees are located north of Mos Le'Harmless by going through the Cave Horror cave.
- 2 trees are located north of the Farming Guild. Chopping some logs at these trees is a medium Kourend Diary requirement.
- 2 trees are located in north-east Prifddinas, and there is a sawmill right next to the trees. Requires completion of Song of the Elves.
- 2 trees are located in the northern area of the Isle of Souls.
Yew trees[edit | edit source]
- 3 yew trees are in the gnome stronghold next to the bank near Nieve.
- 3 Yew trees are just 7 tiles away from a bank in eastern Prifddinas.
- 9 Yew trees can be found in the Woodcutting Guild (requires level 60 AND 75% Hosidius favour), and is recommended due to the level bonus and being very close to a Bank chest.
- 7 Yew trees can be located in the city of Shayzien (3 in the west near the church, 4 in a square in the east), which are all in close proximity to a bank.
- 3 Yew trees behind Varrock Palace.
- 2 Yew trees south of the Edgeville bank by the entrance of the Edgeville Dungeon.
- 8 Yew trees south of the Seers' flax field. This is one of the best spots to chop as a bank is nearby in Catherby.
- 4 yew trees west of Rimmington, but they are a long distance from a bank, which does not make the spot very popular.
- 3 Yew trees can be found in the Corsair Cove Resource Area, unlocked through The Corsair Curse and Dragon Slayer I quests.
Magic trees[edit | edit source]
- Several can be found in the Woodcutting Guild (requires 75% Hosidius favour), and is recommended due to the level bonus and being very close to a Bank chest.
- South of the Yew trees in Seers' Village, with a total of 4 in the vicinity of the Sorcerer's Tower.
- 3 are found just west of the Tree Gnome Stronghold bank.
- 2 are found in Hosidius (just north of Xeric's Glade teleport), with two banks fairly close by. Not often crowded.
- 4 are found in Arceuus, east of the bank.
- 4 are found within the Myths' Guild, accessible after Dragon Slayer II. These trees are often uncrowded and near a Bank chest.
- 4 are found in Prifddinas, in the north-west section, close to the bank where the agility course starts.
- 3 are found west of Lletya, south of the exit past the dire wolves.
Redwood trees[edit | edit source]
- Two trees can be found in the Woodcutting Guild, up the ladders directly west of the Magic trees.
- One tree can be grown by the player in the Farming Guild.
Quests for Woodcutting experience[edit | edit source]
|Enlightened Journey||1,500||-||20 , 20 , 30 , 36|
|Recipe for Disaster
(Skrach Uglogwee subquest)
|1,500||-||41 , 20|
|Heroes' Quest||1,575||-||55 , 53 , 53 , 25 , 50|
|Animal Magnetism||2,500||35||18 , 19 , 30|
|The Eyes of Glouphrie||2,500||45 ()||5 , 46|
|The Fremennik Trials||2,812||-||25 , 40 ( )|
|Icthlarin's Little Helper||4,000||-||-|
|The Fremennik Isles||10,000||56 ()||20 , 40|
|Grim Tales||14,000||71||58 , 45 , 52 , 59|
|Song of the Elves||20,000||70||70 , 70 , 70 , 70 , 70 , 70 , 70|
|Ultimate Ironman Guides|