Pay-to-play Woodcutting training
This guide outlines the best methods for training the Woodcutting skill. The profit from woodcutting is very low compared to other money-making methods and the profitable methods offer very slow experience per hour, thus it is more beneficial to simply perform the fastest experience methods and use the saved time to make money from alternative methods.
- 1 Equipment
- 2 Training
- 3 Experience rates at level 99
- 4 Recommended tree locations
Equipment[edit | edit source]
The only item required to cut wood is an axe, either equipped or in a player's inventory. One should always use the best axe available at a Woodcutting level. Dragon axe's special attack can be used to temporarily boost one's Woodcutting level by 3, which stacks with the level bonus provided by the Woodcutting Guild.
Using the infernal axe (making one requires 85 Firemaking) is recommended if not banking the logs, as it will burn 1/3 of the logs cut, reducing the need to drop logs and also providing passive Firemaking experience. It can be charged with dragon axes, which are usually cheap.
The Lumberjack outfit obtained from the Temple Trekking minigame provides a total of 2.5% bonus experience per log cut. It is time-efficient to get the outfit if the player is going for 99 Woodcutting, as it only takes less than an hour to obtain all four pieces if using route 1 and skipping all events except the one with undead lumberjacks.
Training[edit | edit source]
To gain Woodcutting experience most efficiently, players should always drop the logs they cut. Players can quickly drop their items by holding the shift key and clicking on the logs.
Levels 1–27 – Questing[edit | edit source]
Completing Monk's Friend, Enlightened Journey, Icthlarin's Little Helper, Heroes' Quest and Skrach Uglogwee subquest of Recipe for Disaster grants a total of 10,575 experience, elevating a level 1 Woodcutting to 27.
Levels 1–15 – Regular trees[edit | edit source]
From level 1 to 15, one should cut regular trees. 97 logs are required to reach level 15 Woodcutting without the Lumberjack outfit.
Levels 15–30 – Oak trees[edit | edit source]
From level 15 to 30, the player should cut oak trees. 293 logs are required to reach 30 Woodcutting without the Lumberjack outfit.
Levels 30–35 – Willow trees[edit | edit source]
Levels 35–65/99 – Teak trees[edit | edit source]
Cutting teak trees offers the fastest experience rates in the game when using tick manipulation. These methods require a lot of concentration and are very click-intensive, however. If one wishes to achieve these greatest rates, a video demonstration is recommended.
2-tick woodcutting is done on Ape Atoll while being attacked by birds. If a player is being attacked exactly two ticks apart, due to the way Auto Retaliate works, it's possible to receive a log once every two ticks, effectively doubling the normal amount of experience per hour. Simply having a bow equipped and set to Rapid and having Auto Retaliate on will ensure that every time you retaliate, you'll also have a chance of receiving a log. To make your character retaliate, you can click the ground, drop an item, make darts, or equip an item; all of these actions will cancel and reset the action of woodcutting. 2t teaks can be maintained at 170k/hr very easily but as high as 185k/hr is possible.
1.5-tick woodcutting on Fossil Island is faster but significantly harder and more click-intensive. This is done by setting up a 3-tick cycle (such as using swamp tar on a clean herb) and running 2 squares next to the corners of the hardwood patches. Logs should be dropped while running, and the player will also need stamina potions to sustain run energy. 200k is maintainable even with mistakes while as high as 220k/hr is possible.
If the player is not using any sort of tick manipulation, cutting teak trees offers the fastest experience only up to 65 Woodcutting.
192,771 logs are required to reach 99 Woodcutting without the Lumberjack outfit.
Levels 65–99 – Sulliusceps[edit | edit source]
Cutting sulliuscep mushroom trees offers the fastest experience when not using any sort of tick manipulation, but requires completion of Bone Voyage to access. Players can gain up to 100,000–110,000 experience per hour at level 99. See the strategies page for more information.
Levels 90–99 – Redwood trees[edit | edit source]
Cutting redwood trees in the Woodcutting Guild requires very little attention and offers decent experience. Players can bank the logs in the nearby bank chest, but redwood logs are usually not worth very much and it is faster to simply drop the logs. At level 90, players can expect to gain around 55,000–60,000 experience per hour, and 65,000–70,000 at level 99.
Experience rates at level 99[edit | edit source]
Note: The profit per hour for some logs is interpolated, and as such, may only be used as an approximation.
|Image||Log||Level required||Experience per log||Experience per hour||Profit per hour at 99||Members?||Notes|
|Normal log||1||25||10-15k||18,500||No||Normal trees include dead, jungle and evergreen trees, as well as regular trees. They are the most common trees in RuneScape. However, only one log can be cut from a normal tree before it falls.|
|Achey||1||25||17k||162,520||Yes||Achey Trees are used for the members-only quest Big Chompy Bird Hunting to make Ogre bows and arrows, as well as other ogre-related quests. They are located in Feldip Hills and by Castle Wars. Like normal logs, only one Achey log can be cut from a tree.|
|Oak||15||37.5||40k||36,244||No||Oaks are fairly common in RuneScape. A single oak tree can provide multiple logs.|
|Willow||30||67.5||74k||13,140||No||Willows are generally found near water. Some places they are found at include Port Sarim, Draynor Village, Lumbridge, south of Rimmington, Catherby, Barbarian Outpost and Seers' Village.|
|Teak||35||85||95k-220k||301,860||Yes||Teaks are members-exclusive trees found in the hardwood grove by Tai Bwo Wannai, the Kharazi Jungle, and the woods south of Castle Wars, among other places. Players can pay 100 trading sticks, the currency in Tai Bwo Wannai, to enter the Hardwood Grove. Without using tick-manipulation methods, the experience per hour is 95k/hr.|
|Maple||45||100 ||36-60k||4,320||No||There are many maples between Rellekka and Sinclair Mansion, as well as several behind the Seers' Village bank.|
|Hollow||45||82.5||70k||273,056||Yes||Hollow trees are found east of Canifis, in an area filled with aggressive monsters. When cut, bark is obtained. It can be made into Splitbark armour.|
|Mahogany||50||125||45-48k||133,548||Yes||Mahogany trees are found in the Hardwood Grove by Tai Bwo Wannai. Players can pay 100 Trading sticks, to enter the fenced-off area where the mahogany trees reside. They are also found on Ape Atoll, in the Kharazi Jungle, and Mos Le'Harmless. Woodcutters need to complete Jungle Potion quest before entering.|
|Arctic pine||54||40||14-20k||223,125||Yes||Arctic Pine trees are found on the island of Neitiznot. They can be used to make Fremennik roundshields. A player must have started The Fremennik Isles to gain entry.|
|Yew||60||175||23-38K (45k at WC Guild)||114,750||No||Yew trees give the most experience per log for free players. Free players can find them at Edgeville, south of Falador, north of Varrock Castle, and in the Lumbridge graveyard, among other places. Notable members-only spots include the Seers' Village churchyard, west of Catherby, Tree Gnome Stronghold, and Woodcutting Guild.|
|Magic||75||250||17-30k||103,494||Yes||Magic trees are members-only. Cutting them takes the most time of any log. These trees are found at the Mage Training Arena, Sorcerer's Tower, south-west of Lletya, south-west of Seers' Village bank, and the Woodcutting Guild. There are also a few north of the Agility course in the Gnome Stronghold, and at the eastern edge. It is recommended that players use a Dragon axe to improve their Woodcutting rate.|
|Redwood||90||380||60-70k||57,592||Yes||Redwood trees are members-only. These trees are found only at the Woodcutting Guild, which requires a Woodcutting level of 90 (can be boosted), and 75% Hosidius favour.|
Recommended tree locations[edit | edit source]
Regular trees[edit | edit source]
These are the most abundant of all tree varieties in Runescape, and can be found nearly anywhere. Because regular trees only provide a single log per tree, it is recommended to find an area with multiple trees; simply use the World Map to find a suitable location near a bank near you. Note that undead trees and evergreen trees all count as regular trees.
Oak trees[edit | edit source]
- Quite a few are found just south of the Seers' Village bank. This is perhaps the most convenient location due to its proximity to a bank.
- Outside of the Castle Wars lobby, there is a large amount of oak trees that are close to bank.
- Three can be found along the path between Falador park and Falador west bank.
- Just east of the Draynor Village bank. Low level players should be careful here, as aggressive level 26 Jail guards patrol the area.
- Just outside the Varrock gates west of the west bank and east of the east bank.
- Tree Gnome Stronghold has some fairly close to its respective bank.
- Ten can be found along the southern Falador wall just north of the Falador farm, but it is quite far away from a bank compared to these other locations.
Willow trees[edit | edit source]
- Some are located just south of the Draynor Village bank, though it is often crowded during the day. Low level players should be careful here due to the Level 7 wizards, which are aggressive.
- Six willow trees can be found north-west of the Seers' Village bank.
- The willows outside of Barbarian Assault are very close to a bank chest and not as crowded as Draynor Village willows.
- Several can be found in the Woodcutting Guild (requires level 60), are rarely crowded and are very close to a Bank deposit box.
- Twelve are found in Kourend (just northeast of Xeric's Glade teleport), with a bank north inside the Vinery. This location is not often crowded.
Teak trees[edit | edit source]
- One tree is located south-west of Castle Wars
- On the south-east side of Ape Atoll (requires greegree at all times or completion of Monkey Madness II) but is not near a bank.
- Hardwood Grove in Tai Bwo Wannai (requires completion of Jungle Potion, 100 Trading sticks for entrance and some progress of the Tai Bwo Wannai Cleanup Minigame) but is not near a bank.
- 3 Hardwood tree patches are located on Fossil Island, where you could plant 3 private Teak trees for yourself. The tree patches are located besides each other within 3 tiles. As well as a bank which is located very close to these tree patches. The bank is accessed even faster using the shortcut through the hill which requires 70 agility.
Maple trees[edit | edit source]
- Several can be found in the Woodcutting Guild (requires level 60), and is recommended due to the level bonus and being very close to a Bank deposit box.
- Directly north of Seers' Village bank remains a popular location. Completion of the medium Kandarin Diary provides 10% extra XP (110 instead of 100 XP) at this location.
- 4 Maple trees can be found in the Corsair Cove Resource Area. This area is unlocked through The Corsair Curse quest and Dragon Slayer quest.
Mahogany trees[edit | edit source]
- 3 Hardwood tree patches are located on Fossil Island. Where you could plant 3 private Mahogany trees for yourself. The tree patches are located besides each other within 3 tiles. As well as a bank which is located very close to these tree patches. The bank is even faster accessible using the shortcut through the hill which requires 70 agility.
Yew trees[edit | edit source]
- Several can be found in the Woodcutting Guild (requires level 60 AND 75% Hosidius favour), and is recommended due to the level bonus and being very close to a Bank chest.
- 3 Yew trees behind Varrock Palace.
- 2 Yew trees south of the Edgeville bank by the entrance of the Edgeville Dungeon.
- Just south of the Seers' flax field. This is one of the best spots to chop as a bank is nearby.
- 4 yew trees west of Rimmington, but they are a long distance from a bank, which does not make the spot very popular.
- 3 Yew trees can be found in the Corsair Cove Resource Area. This area is unlocked through The Corsair Curse quest and Dragon Slayer quest.
Magic trees[edit | edit source]
- Several can be found in the Woodcutting Guild (requires 75% Hosidius favour), and is recommended due to the level bonus and being very close to a Bank chest.
- South of the Yew trees in Seers' Village, with a total of 4 in the vicinity of the Sorcerer's Tower
- Three are found just west of the Tree Gnome Stronghold bank
- Two are found in Kourend (just north of Xeric's Glade teleport), with two banks fairly close by. This location is not often crowded.
- 4 can be found within the Myths' Guild, which is accessible after the completion of Dragon Slayer II. It is worth noting that these trees are often uncrowded and near a Bank chest.
Redwood trees[edit | edit source]
These trees can only be found in the Woodcutting Guild, up the ladders directly west of the Magic trees.
- Maple logs yield 110 experience with the completion of medium Kandarin Diary.
- Bark is exchanged infrequently, therefore prices can be inaccurate.