A pet is a non-combat NPC loyal to a player that is generally obtained from monster drops and skilling. Most pets do not serve a purpose other than aesthetics and are very rare drops from certain bosses or skilling activities. Most pets can be interacted with. A player may only have one pet following them at one time. Pets only move at a walking pace (except for Nexling); if they become stuck and/or too far away from the player they follow, they will teleport close to the player and continue. They can also be called to the player's side using the Call follower button under the Worn Equipment tab. There are currently 61 available pets in Old School RuneScape, of which 56 fill a collection log slot.
Unlike other pets, cats are the only kind of pets that must be raised to maturity by following the player. Kittens must be stroked and fed regularly or they will run away. Once they reach adult stage, they no longer need to be fed.
Obtaining a pet[edit | edit source]
When a player receives a one-off pet (i.e. a boss or skilling pet), it will automatically try to appear as their follower. At the same time, a message in the chatbox will state You have a funny feeling like you're being followed. Upon receiving a pet, a small sound will be heard.
|Receiving a pet|
The sound which can be heard when players receive a one-off pet.
However, if a player receives a pet while having a follower out (for example, a cat), it will be placed into their inventory. When this occurs, the message in the chatbox will instead state You feel something weird sneaking into your backpack. If a player's inventory is full and they have a follower already, they will not receive the pet; it must instead be claimed from Probita in East Ardougne for a reclaim token, which costs 1,000,000 coins. When skilling, the pet is prioritised over the resource gathered; it will be placed in the last inventory slot available, while the resource gathered will be dropped underneath the player if their inventory becomes full. However, this does not apply to Farming due to the complexity of the skill's code.
Players can still roll for a pet drop even if they already own the pet; when this happens, players will receive the message You have a funny feeling like you would have been followed... The only exception to this is the abyssal orphan due to being obtained differently compared to other pets. In addition, players will be given a pet reclaim token, accompanied with the message You have been given one free pet reclaim with Probita.
If a player dies with a one-off pet following them (or if it is in their inventory and it is not one of the items protected on death) in a dangerous situation, the pet will be dropped and wander around the area for 30 seconds before despawning. Even if the player returns in time, the pet cannot be picked up, and can be reclaimed from Probita in East Ardougne for a reclaim token.
If a player runs out of membership with a pet still following them, the pet is placed in their inventory. They will receive the message Your pet is scared into your backpack. If the player does not have space in their inventory, the pet is placed in their bank. If the player's bank is full or exceeds the allowable free-to-play bank space limit, their pet is sent to Probita in East Ardougne, where they will have a free reclaim token usable to reclaim their pet.
List of pets[edit | edit source]
Boss pets[edit | edit source]
Each pet has a chance to be rewarded for defeating a certain boss monster or completing a raid, including skilling bosses and minigame bosses. Additionally, with the exception of the Phoenix (rewarded for defeating Wintertodt) these pets resemble or are capable of resembling the bosses they are associated with.
- Using an unsired on the Font of Consumption
- 1/2560 per Abyssal Sire kill;
5/128 per unsired
- To change into a baby mole-rat, a mole claw must be used on the baby mole.
- Charged ice must be used on Muphin in order to transmogrify it into its other forms.
- Sanguine dust is required to metamorphose into all five variants.
- The pet drop rate varies on the player's individual performance in the raid, ranging from 1/650 (the base rate) to 1/6,500 in Normal Mode. For Hard Mode, the base rate is 1/500.
- To change into Little Parasite, a parasitic egg must be used on Little Nightmare.
- Metamorphic dust is required to metamorphose into all seven variants.
- Dropped by Supply crates earned from subduing the Wintertodt.
- An orange or blue egg sac is required to metamorphose into its respective variant
- Received from Reward pool when collecting rewards for Tempoross
- A variety of items are required to metamorphose into all six variants.
- The pet drop rate varies depending on total reward points and raid level. See this page for more details.
- To change into JalRek-Jad, all six of TzHaar-Ket-Rak's Challenges must be completed.
Skilling pets[edit | edit source]
These pets are obtained by training a specific skill, with the chance of obtaining one being based on the player's level in the corresponding skill and the base chance of the activity being performed.
For all drop rates, use the formula: . Base chances are found in the individual page of each pet. A player's chance of receiving a skilling pet does not increase past level 99, with only one exception: players with 200 million experience in the corresponding skill will be fifteen times more likely in receiving the skilling pet.
As the rates use the player's base level, temporary skill boosts such as the dragon pickaxe's special attack or invisible boosts in areas such as the Woodcutting Guild do not affect the rate at which players can obtain these pets.
|Baby chinchompa||Obtained while hunting chinchompas||See here|
|Beaver||Obtained while woodcutting||See here|
|Giant squirrel||Obtained while training agility||See here|
|Heron||Obtained while fishing||See here|
|Rift guardian||Obtained through runecraft||See here|
|Rock golem||Obtained while mining||See here|
|Rocky||Obtained while thieving||See here|
|Tangleroot||Obtained while farming||See here|
Other[edit | edit source]
These pets are obtained either through quests or other means.
|Abyssal protector||Guardians of the Rift||1/4,000|
|Bloodhound||Master clue scrolls||1/1,000|
|Cat||Gertrude, after completing Gertrude's Cat||N/A|
|Chompy chick||Dropped by Chompy birds after completing the Elite Western Provinces Diary||1/500|
|Hellcat||Catching Hell-Rats with a cat||N/A|
|Pet fish||Caught in Harry's Fishing Shop||N/A|
|Pet penance queen||Barbarian Assault||1/1,000|
|Pet rock||Askeladden after The Fremennik Trials||N/A|
|Toy cat||Clockwork and a regular plank used at a Crafting table 4 with 85 Crafting||N/A|
One-off pet totals[edit | edit source]
|Prince black dragon||1,950||3,050||5,614||7,530||9,830||12,406||15,750||20,965||27,795|
|Lil' creator/Lil' destructor||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A||7,675|
Changes[edit | edit source]
|30 August 2023
Pets no longer get exploded or take damage from explosions within the Path of Apmeken.
|2 February 2023
It's no longer possible for a player to exploit a bug with Temple Trekking to have multiple pets out simultaneously.
|22 June 2022
(update | poll)
One-off pets are now automatically insured by Probita upon receiving one. Players who've paid the insurance fee of 500,000 coins prior to this update will have the fees paid added to Probita's reclaim fee coffer, which can then be used as a discount towards any further reclaims. For example, if players insured two pets for 500,000 coins each, they will be given one free reclaim token, and if five were insured, they will be given two free reclaim tokens and a 500,000 coins discount towards the next reclaim token purchase.
|6 October 2016
Talking to various NPCs in Tale of Two Cats/Icthlarin's Little Helper quests while other pets are visible displays the correct dialogue.
|28 April 2016
(update | poll)
|5 November 2015
(update | poll)
|30 April 2015
Pets now follow you up and down the Motherlode Mine's ladder.
|9 April 2015
(update | poll)
The 'talk to' option is now the left-click option for boss pets rather than 'pick up'. Dialogue added for the chaos elemental pet, dark core pet and chompy bird pet.
|21 August 2014
(update | poll)
Pet insurance is added to the game.
|15 May 2014
The options on other players' pets are no longer visible.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- When a pet is in the inventory as an item, its name may be incorrectly capitalised; this is because all items in Old School RuneScape use ucfirst capitalisation, wherein the first letter of a string is capitalised, but the rest is not. For example, as an inventory item, TzTok-Jad's pet is called Tzrek-jad, but as a follower it's called TzRek-Jad.
- Players cannot go underwater if they have a pet following them or in their inventory, with the exception of pet kraken and pet chaos elemental. Furthermore, while many pets can be obtained underwater, Tangleroot, Phoenix, and Bloodhound can be more easily obtained there, but they cannot be taken back once the player leaves.
References[edit | edit source]
- Jagex. Mod Ash's Twitter account. 26 August 2018. Archived from the original on 30 May 2020. Mod Ash: "Yes, though skilling features will aim to avoid that by putting a new pet in your inventory ahead of whatever skilling resource you were about to be given."
- Jagex. Mod Ash's Twitter account. 17 August 2019. Archived from the original on 14 January 2021. Mod Ash: "The herb would get the slot and the pet roll would not give you the pet. The devs who plugged in skill pets were able to prioritise the pets for Mining, Hunter, Fishing and Woodcutting, but the Farming code seems to have been nastier to handle that way."
- Jagex. Mod Havik's Twitter account. 27 June 2022. Archived from the original on 29 June 2022.
- Jagex. Mod Kieren's Twitter account. 8 October 2016. Archived from the original on 25 May 2020. Mod Kieren: "15x more likely."
- Jagex. Mod Ed's Twitter account. 22 July 2017. Archived from the original on 30 May 2020. Mod Ed: "It doesn't affect the rate but it will allow you to mine slightly faster than you'd be able to otherwise."
- Jagex. Mod John C's Twitter account. 8 October 2015. Archived from the original on 30 May 2020. Mod John C: "OSRS Total Boss Pets owned, not including those stored in menageries! "
- Jagex. Mod John C's Twitter account. 14 March 2016. Archived from the original on 30 May 2020. Mod John C: "Here's an updated count of boss and skill pets in the game as of March 14th 2016! "
- Jagex. Mod Lottie's Twitter account. 7 November 2016. Archived from the original on 30 May 2020. Mod Lottie: "As promised... Boss Pets, Skill Pets and "Other" Pets in @OldSchoolRS.   "
- Jagex. Mod Lottie's Twitter account. 16 May 2017. Archived from the original on 30 May 2020. Mod Lottie: "The number of pets in @OldSchoolRS along with an ironman status split. Enjoy! :) "
- Jagex. Mod Lottie's Twitter account. 16 November 2017. Archived from the original on 30 May 2020. Mod Lottie: "Here are the latest @OldSchoolRS pet counts! "
- Jagex. Mod Lottie's Twitter account. 24 May 2018. Archived from the original on 30 May 2020. Mod Lottie: "It's about time for some new pet counts "
- Jagex. Old School RuneScape's Twitter account. 25 February 2019. Archived from the original on 30 May 2020. Old School RuneScape: "On Friday 22nd February we celebrated our 6th Birthday, and to celebrate it we hosted a special livestream (which you can find on our YouTube channel). It included a data segment from @JagexMatk and @JagexNasty! For your convenience, within this chain are the slides! "
- Old School RuneScape. "OSRS Data Stream 2020 - Old School RuneScape's 7th Birthday!" (in 18:37). Youtube video. 26 February 2020.
- Jagex. Mod Lottie's Twitter account. 24 December 2021. Archived from the original on 24 December 2021. Mod Lottie: "Ho-ho-holy moly that's a lot of pets!! Here's an updated boss pet count for @OldSchoolRS!! #RuneStats #GuessWhosBack #HappyHolidays   "