A pet is a non-combat NPC loyal to a player that is generally obtained from monster drops and skilling. Most pets can be interacted with. Most pets do not serve a purpose other than aesthetics, as most pets are very rare drops from certain bosses or skilling activities, and thus are often considered prestigious. A player may only have one pet following them at one time. Pets only move at a walking pace, if they become stuck and/or too far away from the player they follow, they'll teleport close to the player and continue. They can also be called to the player's side using the Call follower button under the Worn Equipment tab.
Unlike other pets, cats are the only kind of pets that must be raised to maturity by following the player. Kittens must be stroked and fed regularly or they will run away. Once they reach adult stage, they no longer need to be fed.
Obtaining a pet[edit | edit source]
When a player receives a one-off pet (i.e. a boss or skilling pet), it will automatically try to appear as their follower. At the same time, a message in the chatbox will state You have a funny feeling like you're being followed. Upon receiving a pet, a small sound will be heard.
However, if a player receives a pet while having a follower out (for example, a cat), it will be placed into their inventory. When this occurs, the message in the chatbox will instead state You feel something weird sneaking into your backpack. If a players inventory is full and they have a follower already, they will not receive the pet. When skilling, the pet is prioritised over the resource gathered; it will be placed in the last inventory slot available, while the resource gathered will be dropped underneath the player if their inventory becomes full. However, this does not apply to Farming due to the complexity of the skill's code.
Players can still roll for pet drops even if they already own it. It does not affect their main drop, as pet drops are tertiary drops. When this happens, players will receive the message You have a funny feeling like you would have been followed... The only exception to this is the abyssal orphan due to being obtained differently compared to other pets.
If a player dies with a one-off pet following them (or if it is in their inventory and it is not one of the items protected on death) in a dangerous situation, the pet will be dropped and wander around the area for 30 seconds before despawning. Even if the player returns in time, the pet cannot be picked up. If the pet is not insured, players must re-obtain the pet as if they never had it. If insured, players can head to Probita and reclaim the pet for 1,000,000 coins. In order to insure a pet, the player must visit Probita and pay 500,000 coins. The player can still obtain the pet again from its respective drop source, and if the pet is re-obtained this way it will also be insured.
If a player runs out of membership with a pet still following them, the pet is placed in their inventory. They will receive the message Your pet is scared into your backpack.
List of pets[edit | edit source]
Boss pets[edit | edit source]
These pets usually resemble the bosses that drop them, or the bosses that they are associated with.
|Abyssal orphan||Using an unsired on the Font of Consumption||1/2,560 (per Abyssal Sire kill)|
5/128 (per unsired)
|Baby mole/mole-rat[b 1]||Dropped by the Giant Mole||1/3,000|
|Callisto cub||Dropped by Callisto||1/2,000|
|Hellpuppy||Dropped by Cerberus||1/3,000|
|Ikkle hydra||Dropped by Alchemical Hydra||1/3,000|
|Jal-nib-rek/Tzrek-zuk||Defeating TzKal-Zuk or exchanging an infernal cape to TzHaar-Ket-Keh||1/100 (per kill or gamble)|
1/75 (per kill on Slayer task)
|Kalphite princess||Dropped by Kalphite Queen||1/3,000|
|Lil' zik/maiden/bloat/nylo/sot/xarp[b 2]||Theatre of Blood reward||1/650 (per completion, with optimal performance)|
|Little nightmare/parasite[b 3]||Dropped by The Nightmare||1/800 to 1/4000 (From 1 to 5+ team size)|
|Noon/Midnight||Dropped by the Grotesque Guardians||1/3,000|
|Olmlet/Puppadile/Tektiny/Vanguard/Vasa Minirio/Vespina[b 4]||Great Olm at the end of the Chambers of Xeric||1/53 (per broadcasted unique item)|
|Pet chaos elemental||Dropped by the Chaos Elemental and Chaos Fanatic||1/300 (Elemental)|
|Pet dagannoth prime||Dropped by Dagannoth Prime||1/5,000|
|Pet dagannoth rex||Dropped by Dagannoth Rex||1/5,000|
|Pet dagannoth supreme||Dropped by Dagannoth Supreme||1/5,000|
|Pet dark core||Dropped by Corporeal Beast||1/5,000|
|Pet general graardor||Dropped by General Graardor||1/5,000|
|Pet k'ril tsutsaroth||Dropped by K'ril Tsutsaroth||1/5,000|
|Pet kraken||Dropped by Kraken||1/3,000|
|Pet kree'arra||Dropped by Kree'arra||1/5,000|
|Pet smoke devil||Dropped by the Thermonuclear smoke devil||1/3,000|
|Pet snakeling||Dropped by Zulrah||1/4,000|
|Pet zilyana||Dropped by Commander Zilyana||1/5,000|
|Prince black dragon||Dropped by the King Black Dragon||1/3,000|
|Scorpia's offspring||Dropped by Scorpia||1/2,015.75|
|Skotos||Dropped by Skotizo||1/65|
|Sraracha||Dropped by Sarachnis||1/3,000|
|Tzrek-jad/Jalrek-jad[b 5]||Defeating TzTok-Jad or exchanging a fire cape to TzHaar-Mej-Jal||1/200 (per kill or gamble)|
1/100 (per kill on Slayer task)
|Venenatis spiderling||Dropped by Venenatis||1/2,000|
|Vet'ion jr.||Dropped by Vet'ion||1/2,000|
|Vorki||Dropped by Vorkath||1/3,000|
- To change into a baby mole-rat, a mole claw must be used on the baby mole.
- Sanguine dust is required to metamorphose into all five variants.
- To change into Little Parasite, a parasitic egg must be used on Little Nightmare.
- Metamorphic dust is required to metamorphose into all seven variants.
- To change into JalRek-Jad, all six of TzHaar-Ket-Rak's Challenges must be completed.
Skilling pets[edit | edit source]
These pets are obtained by training a specific skill, with the chance of obtaining one being based on the player's level in the corresponding skill and the base chance of the activity being performed.
For all drop rates, use the formula: . Base chances are found in the individual page of each pet. Players with 200 million experience in the corresponding skill will be fifteen times more likely in receiving the skilling pet.
As the rates use the player's base level, temporary skill boosts such as the dragon pickaxe's special attack or invisible boosts in areas such as the Woodcutting Guild do not affect the rate at which players can obtain these pets.
|Baby chinchompa||Obtained while hunting chinchompas||See here|
|Beaver||Obtained while woodcutting||See here|
|Giant squirrel||Obtained while training agility||See here|
|Heron||Obtained while fishing||See here|
|Rift guardian||Obtained through runecraft||See here|
|Rock golem||Obtained while mining||See here|
|Rocky||Obtained while thieving||See here|
|Tangleroot||Obtained while farming||See here|
Other[edit | edit source]
These pets are obtained either through quests or other means.
|Eek||Received during the 2018 Halloween event. The only F2P pet in the game.||N/A|
|Bloodhound||Received when completing master clue scrolls||1/1,000|
|Cat||Gertrude, after completing Gertrude's Cat||N/A|
|Chompy chick||Dropped by Chompy birds after completing the elite Western Provinces Diary||1/500|
|Hellcat||Catching Hell-Rats with a cat||N/A|
|Dropped by Spoils of war||1/400|
|Pet fish||Caught in Harry's Fishing Shop using a tiny net, with a fishbowl (containing water and seaweed) in the inventory||N/A|
|Pet penance queen||High-level gambles in Barbarian Assault||1/1,000|
|Pet rock||Askeladden after The Fremennik Trials||N/A|
|Phoenix||Supply crates earned from subduing the Wintertodt (completion of game gives possible chance)||1/5,000|
|Tiny tempor||Received from Reward pool when collecting rewards for Tempoross||1/8,000|
|Toy cat||Clockwork and a regular plank used at a Crafting table 4 with 85 Crafting||N/A|
|Youngllef||Reward from The Gauntlet||1/2,000 (normal Gauntlet)|
1/800 (Corrupted Gauntlet)
|Smolcano||Dropped by Zalcano||1/2,250|
One-off pet totals[edit | edit source]
|Prince black dragon||1,950||3,050||5,614||7,530||9,830||12,406||15,750||20,965|
Changes[edit | edit source]
|30 April 2015
Pets now follow you up and down the Motherlode Mine's ladder.
|9 April 2015
(update | poll)
The 'talk to' option is now the left-click option for boss pets rather than 'pick up'. Dialogue added for the chaos elemental pet, dark core pet and chompy bird pet.
|21 August 2014
(update | poll)
Pet insurance is added to the game.
|15 May 2014
The options on other players' pets are no longer visible.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- When a pet is in the inventory as an item, its name may be incorrectly capitalised; this is because all items in Old School RuneScape use ucfirst capitalisation, wherein the first letter of a string is capitalised, but the rest is not. For example, as an inventory item, TzTok-Jad's pet is called Tzrek-jad, but as a follower it's called TzRek-Jad.
- Players cannot go underwater if they have a pet following them or in their inventory, with the exception of pet kraken and pet chaos elemental. Furthermore, Tangleroot and Phoenix can be obtained underwater, but they cannot be taken back once the player leaves.
References[edit | edit source]
- Jagex. Mod Ash's Twitter account. 26 August 2018. (Archived from the original on 30 May 2020.) Mod Ash: "Yes, though skilling features will aim to avoid that by putting a new pet in your inventory ahead of whatever skilling resource you were about to be given."
- Jagex. Mod Ash's Twitter account. 17 August 2019. (Archived from the original on 14 January 2021.) Mod Ash: "The herb would get the slot and the pet roll would not give you the pet. The devs who plugged in skill pets were able to prioritise the pets for Mining, Hunter, Fishing and Woodcutting, but the Farming code seems to have been nastier to handle that way."
- Jagex. Mod Kieren's Twitter account. 8 October 2016. (Archived from the original on 25 May 2020.) Mod Kieren: "15x more likely."
- Jagex. Mod Ed's Twitter account. 22 July 2017. (Archived from the original on 30 May 2020.) Mod Ed: "It doesn't affect the rate but it will allow you to mine slightly faster than you'd be able to otherwise."
- Jagex. Mod John C's Twitter account. 8 October 2015. (Archived from the original on 30 May 2020.) Mod John C: "OSRS Total Boss Pets owned, not including those stored in menageries! "
- Jagex. Mod John C's Twitter account. 14 March 2016. (Archived from the original on 30 May 2020.) Mod John C: "Here's an updated count of boss and skill pets in the game as of March 14th 2016! "
- Jagex. Mod Lottie's Twitter account. 7 November 2016. (Archived from the original on 30 May 2020.) Mod Lottie: "As promised... Boss Pets, Skill Pets and "Other" Pets in @OldSchoolRS.   "
- Jagex. Mod Lottie's Twitter account. 16 May 2017. (Archived from the original on 30 May 2020.) Mod Lottie: "The number of pets in @OldSchoolRS along with an ironman status split. Enjoy! :) "
- Jagex. Mod Lottie's Twitter account. 16 November 2017. (Archived from the original on 30 May 2020.) Mod Lottie: "Here are the latest @OldSchoolRS pet counts! "
- Jagex. Mod Lottie's Twitter account. 24 May 2018. (Archived from the original on 30 May 2020.) Mod Lottie: "It's about time for some new pet counts "
- Jagex. Old School RuneScape's Twitter account. 25 February 2019. (Archived from the original on 30 May 2020.) Old School RuneScape: "On Friday 22nd February we celebrated our 6th Birthday, and to celebrate it we hosted a special livestream (which you can find on our YouTube channel). It included a data segment from @JagexMatk and @JagexNasty! For your convenience, within this chain are the slides! "
- Old School RuneScape. "OSRS Data Stream 2020 - Old School RuneScape's 7th Birthday!." (18:37), Youtube video. Feb 26, 2020.