Priest in Peril
|Priest in Peril (#54)|
|Released||29 June 2004 (Update)|
|Lead developer(s)||James B|
Priest in Peril is the first quest to take place in Morytania, and is required to enter the region. At the command of King Roald, you must head to the temple of Paterdomus to aid the monk Drezel with recovering the temple.
Details[edit | edit source]
|Start point||Speak to King Roald in the Varrock Palace. Show on map|
|Description||Recently contact has been lost with the temple to Saradomin on Misthalins' Eastern border. King Roald would be very interested to know what has caused this lack of communication, and seeks an adventurer willing to report back to him on the situation.|
|Enemies to defeat|
Walkthrough[edit | edit source]
Beginning the quest[edit | edit source]
Recommended: A Varrock teleport.
The temple is located east of Varrock. Go through the wooden gate north-east of the east exit by the Earth Altar. Then, follow the path to the temple. Click on the temple doors and someone will ask what you want and who you are. Tell them you are sent by King Roald. After some whispering they will ask you to kill a dog. Agree to it.
The dungeon[edit | edit source]
Climb down the dungeon entrance north of the temple, then kill the level 30 temple guardian. You cannot use Magic. The temple guardian can be safespotted using an inside corner of the room by moving one square east after attacking the dog with ranged after coming down the ladder. After killing the dog go back up the ladder.
- Ladder to the trapdoor at the surface.
- Entrance chamber with a level 30 temple guardian beast - The player must slay the beast during this quest. After the quest, the beast is not aggressive and cannot be fought.
- Gate leading deeper into the mausoleum.
- Main chamber of the mausoleum - The centre of the mausoleum has the graves of the Seven Priestly Warriors, as well as a well that supplies holy water from the River Salve.
- Staircase to the Columbarium.
- Gate to Drezel's chamber.
- Drezel's chamber.
- Holy barrier holding back Morytanian invaders from entering the mausoleum.
Returning to King Roald[edit | edit source]
Items required: None.
Head back to Varrock Palace, using a Varrock teleport (optional) and talk to King Roald again. King Roald becomes enraged, and explains that the dog was guarding the palace from attack. He instructs you to go back and fix it right away. If you don't have one, grab the bucket from above the kitchen, or buy one from the general store.
Back to the temple[edit | edit source]
- Note: these monks can hit hard with their Magic (though they can be safespotted using the church pews). It may be wise to use prayers to assist the fight, as there is an altar in the room that can recharge prayer points.
After receiving the key, go to the top floor using the flight of stairs, then climbing the ladder in the south-west corner, and use the talk-through option found on the cell door to talk to Drezel. Ask him about information on the holy river. Next, go back down the trap door into the dungeon. With the golden key in the inventory, the player can unlock the gate in the Paterdomus dungeon where the guardian was located earlier. In the centre room, there are seven monuments and a well. Study the monuments in order to find one holding an iron key, then use the golden key on that monument to swap the two. After obtaining the iron key, use a bucket on the well to fill it with murky water.
- Note: The player can swap any of the golden items with the regular version of that item. If desired, a pot, a feather, a candle, a tinderbox, a needle, and a hammer is needed, which can then be used on the correct monument holding that item. This cannot be done after completing Drezel has moved to the mausoleum. The golden items have no functional purpose (for example, the Golden tinderbox cannot be used to light fires), although they can be converted into coins with Low or High alchemy. Each golden item can only be obtained once per account.
Return to the top floor of the temple, and use the iron key on the cell door. Then, go inside, and talk to Drezel so he can then bless the murky water. Use the blessed water on the coffin to seal the vampyre. Talk to Drezel again and he will tell the player to meet him in the dungeon. If the player completely exhausts his dialogue, Drezel will move to the mausoleum and the golden items can no longer be obtained.
Go meet Drezel in the dungeon past the monument room and he will request 50 total essence (which must be unnoted), which can be a mix of either rune or pure essence. Players with essence pouches can bring all 50 essence in a single trip if desired. If not, players might need to make multiple trips as the inventory only has 28 spaces. It is suggested to bring 24 essence the first trip along with the other necessary items, then banking and returning with 26 essence and enough space for runes to teleport.
Congratulations, quest complete!
Note: The player must talk to Drezel one more time to be able to pass the barrier to Morytania.
Rewards[edit | edit source]
- 1 Quest point
- 1,406 Prayer experience
- Wolfbane dagger, prevents the citizens of Canifis from transforming into werewolves when attacked
- Route to Canifis and Morytania
- Completing this quest awards the player with 5 Kudos which can be claimed by talking to Historian Minas in the Varrock Museum.
Required for completing[edit | edit source]
Completion of Priest in Peril is required for the following:
- Animal Magnetism
- Creature of Fenkenstrain
- Desert Treasure I
- Ghosts Ahoy
- Haunted Mine
- Making History
- Nature Spirit
- Rum Deal
- Shades of Mort'ton
Transcript[edit | edit source]
Changes[edit | edit source]
|30 June 2020 – 18 October 2020
King Roald no longer calls the player "mentally deficient" and now calls them a "complete imbecile".
|24 March 2021
Quest points are now correctly awarded when Priest in Peril becomes complete, even if the player does not subsequently receive Drezel's warning about the perils of Morytania.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Drezel will appear in the Mausoleum before he escapes his cell, but is unreachable until he is freed.
- If you have a clue scroll which requires speaking with Drezel before you have met him in the Mausoleum, talking to him in the Mausoleum will trigger the clue scroll prior to proceeding with the quest.