|Released||25 July 2019 (Update)|
|Also called||Crystal City, The Elf City, Prif|
|Location on World Map|
Prifddinas (pronounciation /priv.ˈði.nɑs/ "preev-THEE-nass") is the city of the elves and the capital city of Tirannwn. Located just north of Isafdar, the city is the oldest surviving settlement on Gielinor, being created in the First Age. In order to enter the city, the quest Song of the Elves must be completed.
While outside Prifddinas, it will appear as if there's nothing there when looking from outside the city walls. This is revealed by Baxtorian to be one of the security measures put in place during the God Wars.
- 1 History
- 2 Getting there
- 3 Features
- 4 Charter ship
- 5 Music
- 6 Gallery
- 7 Trivia
- 8 References
History[edit | edit source]
Initial settlement[edit | edit source]
Prifddinas was constructed by the elves after they arrived in Gielinor from Tarddiad, their homeworld, through the World Gate by their crystalline goddess, Seren, and Guthix, the god of balance, in the First Age. The elves settled in Tirannwn, a large wooded area west of a mountain range which isolated it from the rest of the continent. The eight Elven Clans constructed their city in a clearing north of the Isafdar forest, where she had already created the Tower of Voices.
Seren then provided a special seed for each of the eight clans, telling them that they should be planted in the centre of each of their districts. Doing so, these seeds grew into the towers which can be seen today near the edges of the city.
God Wars and Seren's departure[edit | edit source]
During the remainder of the First and Second Age, Prifddinas would remain isolated from the rest of the world, thanks to the mountain range east of Tirannwn making it difficult for others to cross. However, with the God Wars raging across the mountains, fear that the armies of the gods may eventually reach the gates of Prifddinas, the Amlodd Clan built The Gauntlet to help train the elves into the finest warriors and survivalists.
During the God Wars, a demon named Zalcano eventually made her way to Tirannwn in search of her brother, Skotizo, who killed his expedition team after obtaining an ancient artefact within the Karamjan Temple that was intended to be delivered to Zamorak. The elves initially feared that she would be the first of many, but soon found out she was working alone and was under a curse laid by Zamorak that turned her into stone. With the help of the Ithell and Amlodd Clan, she was captured in order for the Trahaearn Clan to study her, albeit with many casualties.
Following the end of the God Wars, the Edicts of Guthix was put in place, which banished the warring younger gods from Gielinor. Guthix then visited Seren, who conceded that she was unable to depart from her followers, as doing so would lead to their death: this is due to the Song of Creation, created before the elves' arrival on Gielinor, which inexplicably tied the souls of the elves to Seren and prevented Seren from departing from the elves for prolonged periods of time, as doing so would lead to illness and eventual death of the elves.
Unable to part from her followers, Seren exploded into a shower of crystals, leaving the elves without Seren's guidance for the first time in thousands of years. Crystals of Seren were left scattered across Tirannwn, which allowed the elves to remain alive, though they were still unaware of Seren's unintended curse.
The Break Out[edit | edit source]
When the Fourth Age commenced, The Break Out occurred amongst the elves and a pass over the mountain range, Arandar, was built. Many travelled east, exploring the lands that are now Kandarin. Spearheaded by the legendary King Baxtorian, the expedition formed non-aggression pacts with the humans and gnomes in the area, although they failed to form treaties with the Bandosians due to a civil war between them taking place. Soon, the elves permanently settled in the newly acquired area, marking the creation of the first major elven settlement outside Prifddinas.
With Baxtorian's kingdom secured, it was decided that the Cadarn Clan, who were a clan of skilled warriors and hunters, should be the first to settle in the eastern realm; the other followed suit soon afterwards after seeing how much wealth was coming over Arandar. Within a few decades of the The Break Out, the elves had created many settlements and trade agreements between the gnomes and humans.
The Great Divide[edit | edit source]
In Year 1930 of the Fourth Age, due to the absence of the Cadarn Clan and the other settlers, the Iorwerth Clan betrayed the other clans and invaded and occupied Prifddinas, brutally slaughtering thousands of elves and taking full control of the city and the Tower of Voices. Once all contact with Prifddinas was lost, and the gates of the Arandar mountain pass no longer being accessible, King Baxtorian called an emergency council and decided to send a scouting party of five to Tirannwn through the Underground Pass. Only one elf, Adwr Cadarn, returned to report of the civil war.
In an attempt to restore peace, Baxtorian launched a campaign to liberate the city from Lord Iorwerth. The elves attempted to recapture the city, which ended disastrously in 1935 with many Cadarn dead. This left the few survivors stranded in Isafdar (notably Lletya, a small, hidden village the refugees erected), where they fought as rebels.
Despite this, King Baxtorian was able to safely evacuate the elven clan leaders from the city, who convened in the Grand Library to perform a ritual to revert the city into a crystal seed, forcing Lord Iorwerth to settle in a camp outside of its walls. The elven clan leaders then went their separate ways, giving Baxtorian vague hints of their whereabouts should Prifddinas be ready to be restored.
Prifddinas' Regrowth[edit | edit source]
In 169 of the Fifth Age, the rebel elves, led by Arianwyn, asked a human adventurer who'd found their way to Tirannwn and had been tricked by Lord Iorwerth and King Lathas to investigate the activities of the mourners in West Ardougne. This led the adventurer to the long-forgotten Temple of Light, whose safeguard they restored to stop the Prifddinas Death Guard.
After the execution of King Lathas and expelling the mourners from West Ardougne, the adventurer and Elena were captured by the Iorwerth elves and brought to their camp to be taken prisoner; however, Arianwyn and the rebel elves appeared to rescue the two.
Lord Iorwerth will reveal that he lied to King Lathas to access West Ardougne in order to reach the Temple of Light to revive Seren. Arianwyn refutes this, believing Seren to be dead; Lord Iorwerth thought the same, until he managed to break one of the seals in the Grand Library, where he discovered a part of Seren remains trapped within the Temple. He will let the rebels go, believing they could be of use in their plans while they are none the wiser.
Returning to Lletya, it is decided that the adventurer and Arianwyn will investigate the Waterfall Dungeon to see whether King Baxtorian left anything behind that would explain more about the fragment of Seren. Upon solving a riddle he left behind, the statue of Baxtorian is discovered to be Baxtorian himself, who sealed himself in stone. Returning to Lletya, Baxtorian believes there may be a way to enter the Grand Library via the use of a specially made potion and bypassing the city walls, which have been enchanted so that only Iorwerth elves and their allies can enter; Baxtorian believes Lord Amlodd, an expert in magic, would be able to break the spell.
The adventurer is then assigned to search for the remaining clan elders. After finding Lord Amlodd and Lady Trahaearn, the adventurer is chosen to enter the Grand Library to discover what Lord Iorwerth is planning. The player discovers the broken seal, which prove that he was telling the truth, and proceeds the break the other eight seals, discovering about the consequences of Seren's Song of Creation, and her attempts to reverse the curse she had unintentionally placed on her elves, with the darkest parts of her being combined with death energy from the death altar. Unsuccessful, she sealed this part of her in the temple, adding an additional layer of protection in the form of an orb of light, which is found on Gorlah, a shrine north of the city.
Reporting back at Lletya, everyone will be shocked by the revelations; Arianwyn will then ask Baxtorian to temporarily lead. Ysgawyn will search for the orb of light on Gorlah, while the adventurer searches for Lord Crwys and Lady Hefin. It is discovered that the Iorwerth had already claimed the orb of light, and was promptly recovered by the adventurer until Iestin Edern, who has been secretly acting as an informant for Ysgawyn, informs that Lord Iorwerth has discovered Lletya via a traitor among the rebel elves, and told him how to find the village.
During the attack on Lletya, Baxtorian is forced to return the orb of light and it is discovered that Arianwyn was the traitor, who turned once he discovered that Lord Iorwerth truly wished to return Seren, and had informed Lord Iorwerth of the entrance into the Temple of Light. After the Iorwerth leave, Baxtorian sends the adventurer to seek Lady Ithell and Lady Meilyr, who both travel to the Underground Pass.
What remains of the rebel elves are sent to the dwarven camp in the Underground Pass to defend the entrance to the Temple of Light. Despite all their efforts, Lord Iorwerth succeeds in freeing the Fragment of Seren, and the adventurer is forced to defeat it. After this, the city is fully restored, the Iorwerth Clan is pardoned by the elves for their actions, who realised they served Lord Iorwerth because they had no choice. Despite this, there is still mistrust for them. Arianwyn, who is ridden by his guilt of betrayal, leaves after helping rebuild Lletya and seeing Prifddinas.
Thanks to the actions of the adventurer, it is decided by the clan elders to open up the city to all races, though it was decided that only a small portion of the Grand Library would be opened to them. With other races visiting the city, new additions from far and wide have been added to the Grand Library's bookshelves.
Getting there[edit | edit source]
- Teleport crystal or eternal teleport crystal to get to the centre of Prifddinas, south of the Tower of Voices
- Teleport to House if your player-owned house is located in Prifddinas
- Ring of returning (or death) if your spawn point is located in Prifddinas
- Spirit tree close to the northern bank
- Charter ship
- Iorwerth camp teleport and run north then east
- Necklace of passage to Jorral's outpost and then walk west over the mountain pass of Arandar (must have completed Regicide)
Features[edit | edit source]
Prifddinas is divided into eight districts, one for each of the Elven Clans who helped build the city, with the Tower of Voices as the centre. This is the only place where crystal implings can be found, which can rarely spawn in various locations across the city.
Tower of Voices[edit | edit source]
The Tower of Voices is found in the centre of the city, and is named as such because in the Tower, it is said that the elves can speak directly to one of the fragments of their goddess, Seren, who chose to shatter herself rather than be forced to leave Gielinor when the Edicts of Guthix were put in place following the God Wars.
It has several features:
- An altar where players can restore their prayer points. Crefydd, who is found next to the altar, can change the location where players respawn to Prifddinas.
- A small office containing the Elven Crystal Chest that can only be opened with enhanced crystal keys.
- A memoriam device, where players can use memoriam crystals on, re-watch cutscenes from Song of the Elves and re-fight the Fragment of Seren.
- A teleport platform which leads players to the Grand Library.
The following NPCs can be found in the Tower of Voices, as well as upstairs:
Grand Library[edit | edit source]
The Grand Library is a massive library accessed from the teleport platform upstairs in the Tower of Voices. Here, players arrive at the publicly accessible part of the Grand Library, unlike the parts that were visited during Song of the Elves.
Players can search the bookshelves to obtain texts found during the elven quest series, as well as fourteen texts that can only be found within the Grand Library.
The following NPCs can be found in the Grand Library:
Meilyr district[edit | edit source]
The Meilyr district is located in the northeastern part of the city and features the following:
- A spirit tree.
- Prifddinas Foodstuffs, a food shop run by Derwen. A dairy churn and cooking range can be found inside the shop as well.
- Prifddinas Herbal Supplies, a herbalist's shop run by Llio.
- The market, which contains several stalls players can steal from as well as three Prifddinas guards:
The following NPCs can be found in the Meilyr district:
- Lady Ffion Meilyr
Crwys district[edit | edit source]
The Crwys district is located in the northeastern part of the city and features the following:
- Three teaks, two mahogany trees and a sawmill near them.
- While there are three mahogany trees in the area, one cannot be reached by the player due to a rock blocking the way.
- Two allotment patches and a flower patch, as well as a compost bin; there is no herb patch.
- A crystal tree patch, which yields crystal shards when harvested.
- Branwen's Farming Shop, a farming shop run by Branwen. A cooking range can be found in the house west of the shop as well.
The following NPCs can be found in the Crwys district:
- Lord Piquan Crwys
- Sawmill Operator
- Tool Leprechaun
Cadarn district[edit | edit source]
The Cadarn district is located in the southeastern part of the city and features the following:
- A bank, with a poll booth and bank deposit box.
- Three yew trees, which are found just outside the bank.
- Sian's Ranged Weaponry, an archery shop run by Sian.
- Prifddinas General Store, a general store run by Gwallter.
The following NPCs can be found in the Cadarn district:
- Lord Baxtorian Cadarn
Trahaearn district[edit | edit source]
The Trahaearn district is located in the southeastern part of the city and features the following:
- A building containing a furnace and anvil, which are the closest to a bank anywhere in game.
- A teleport platform just west of the Cadarn district's bank that leads players down to the prison of Zalcano, a demon cursed by Zamorak to turn into stone.
- A cave entrance south-west of the bank that leads down to the Trahaearn mine, which is the only mine where soft clay rocks are found.
- A singing bowl where players can create crystal equipment and other crystal items. Players who don't have the requirements to create them can have Reese create them in exchange for crystal shards.
- Gwyn's Mining Emporium, a mining shop run by Gwyn.
The following NPCs can be found in the Trahaearn district:
Iorwerth district[edit | edit source]
The Iorwerth district is located in the southwestern part of the city and features the following:
- A cave entrance that leads down to Iorwerth Dungeon, a training ground used by the Iorwerth Clan that contains various slayer monsters.
- Aneirin's Armour, a platebody shop run by Aneirin. He can also repair Barrows equipment.
- Iorwerth's Arms, a sword shop run by Celyn, which also sells halberds.
- A small fight arena with two gladiators fighting, though players cannot enter and fight them.
The following NPCs can be found in the Iorwerth district:
- Lord Iestin Iorwerth
Ithell district[edit | edit source]
The Ithell district is located in the southwestern part of the city and features the following:
- A player-owned house portal. Players can visit an estate agent (Alwyn being the nearest one further southwest) to have their house moved to Prifddinas for 50,000 coins.
- A singing bowl where players can create crystal equipment and other crystal items. Players who don't have the requirements to create them can have Conwenna create them in exchange for crystal shards.
- Guinevere's Dyes, a dye shop run by Guinevere.
- Lliann's Wares, a clothes shop run by Lliann.
- Prifddinas' Seamstress, a crafting shop run by Nia. She also creates custom fur clothing similar to Asyff in Varrock. A spinning wheel and loom can be found inside the shop as well.
- Eluned and Ilfeen can be found outside the dye shop and the POH portal, respectively.
The following NPCs can be found in the Ithell district:
- Lady Kelyn Ithell
Amlodd district[edit | edit source]
The Amlodd district is located in the northwestern part of the city and features the following:
- The Gauntlet, a training ground created by the elves to ensure their warriors were capable of defending Prifddinas during the God Wars.
- Four magic trees, which are fairly close to the Hefin district's bank just east.
- Amlodd's Magical Supplies, a magic shop
- Elgan's Exceptional Staffs!, a staff shop run by Elgan. A cooking range can be found in the house east of the shop as well.
The following NPCs can be found in the Amlodd district:
Hefin district[edit | edit source]
The Hefin district is located in the northwestern part of the city and features the following:
- The Prifddinas Agility Course, which requires level 75 Agility to run through.
- A bank, with a poll booth and bank deposit box. The agility course begins here.
- Iwan's Maces, a mace shop run by Iwan.
- Amrod, who exchanges crystal shards for crysta equipment seeds
- An altar where players can restore their prayer points.
- A sand pit, which is the closest one to a bank.
- An entrance to Death's office.
- The Hefin Inn, a pub that sells Elven dawn, a local speciality.
The following NPCs can be found in the Hefin district:
Charter ship[edit | edit source]
The charter ships also have a dock in the harbour to the west of Prifddinas. It provides rides to several other locations. After completing Cabin Fever, the charter ship fare is reduced by 50%. Wearing the ring of charos(a) also reduces the fare by 50%. These two bonuses can be stacked to reduce the cost to 25%.
Music[edit | edit source]
|Name||Unlock details||Music track|
|Architects of Prifddinas||Unlocked upon entering Prifddinas|
|Dance of the Meilyr||Unlocked upon entering Prifddinas|
|Elven Guardians||Unlocked upon entering Prifddinas|
|Faith of the Hefin||Unlocked upon entering Prifddinas|
|The Gauntlet||Unlocked upon entering The Gauntlet|
|Iorwerth's Lament||Unlocked upon entering Prifddinas|
|Mystics of Nature||Unlocked upon entering Prifddinas|
|The Seed of Crwys||Unlocked upon entering Prifddinas|
|Sharp End of the Crystal||Unlocked upon entering the Iorwerth Dungeon|
|The Spurned Demon||Unlocked during the fight with Zalcano|
|The Tower of Voices||Unlocked upon entering Prifddinas|
|Trahaearn Toil||Unlocked upon entering Prifddinas|
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Prifddinas translates to "capital city" in Welsh.
- Unlike other locations in RuneScape, Prifddinas' music will randomly shuffle between the eight tracks whenever a player logs on even if they do not move.
- Prifddinas appeared on the world map before actually being added to the game.
References[edit | edit source]
- Baxtorian, Old School RuneScape. "One of the security measures put in place during the God Wars, from the outside it seems like there's nothing there."
- Memory of Seren, Old School RuneScape. "...Another being came to our world. Divine like myself, but not by design. He spoke of a perfect world, one filled with power. I knew it was a risk, but I decided to travel there. The power he spoke of might have been the only thing capable of saving the elves. The curse made it impossible for me to go without them, so they had to come with me, and leave their home behind."
- Prifddinas' history, Old School RuneScape. "Seren proceeded to showed them all to a clearing in the forest, where she had already created the Tower of Voices, a place for all elven kind to congregate and the future home of the Assembly of Elders."
- Prifddinas' history, Old School RuneScape. "Seren then provided one special seed for every clan, telling them that each seed should be planted in the center of each clan's segment of the city. The eight clans did this, and found that the seeds grew into great towers. Before long, there were nine crystal towers in the clearing."
- Bryn, Old School RuneScape. "[The Gauntlet is] the finest creation of the Amlodd clan. It was built years ago to help train Prifddinas' finest warriors and survivalists."
- The spurned demon, Old School RuneScape. "After a failed mission to the island of Karamja, Zalcano was held responsible for the treachery of her brother, and was cursed by Zamorak. He gave her a simple task, bring back her brother to answer for his crimes, and the curse would be lifted."
- The spurned demon, Old School RuneScape. "We assumed the demon would be the first of many, but to our surprise, the scouts reported that she seemed to be working alone. Not only that, but she did not seem to be here for us as we first feared."
- The spurned demon, Old School RuneScape. "The [Amlodd] mystics weaved their spells and discovered something fascinating. The demon, she seemed to be under some sort of spell, a curse. From what they could tell, the curse seemed to be slowly turning her entire body to stone."
- Old School RuneScape. "With the help of the Ithell clan, the Trahaearn artisans built a large prison in the volcanic caverns beneath the city. With Amlodd magic sealing the way in, the prison was more than suitable for trapping the demon. All that was left to do, was capture her... The demon did not take kindly to our attempts to capture her and fought back with all her might. Many fell to her, but in the end we had her trapped beneath the city, ready for the Trahaearn clan to begin their research."
- Ilfeen, Old School RuneScape. "At the end of the God Wars, the gods were banished from this world. Seren didn't want to leave us though, she couldn't."
- Memory of Seren, Old School RuneScape. "The song of creation increased [the elves'] lifespans, but at a terrible price. It bound them to me. To stray too far from their sides, caused pain, and even death."
- Ilfeen, Old School RuneScape. "[Seren] shattered herself into thousands of crystals. Those crystals are all we have left of her now."
- Eastern discovery, Old School RuneScape. "After centuries of isolated development, after the God Wars, it was decided that the elven domain needed to expand. With their backs to the sea, there was only one way to go, east. After many years of hard work, a pass over the mountains was created."
- Eastern discovery, Old School RuneScape. "King Baxtorian concluded that the safest way to proceed was to draw up non-aggression pacts with the other races of the land. They were the gnomes to the north, the humans to the east and the ogres to the south."
- Eastern discovery, Old School RuneScape. "...the elves approached the ogres and their kin to the south. Unfortunately, without Bandos' guidance which had held these races together for millennia, the nation had fallen into a bloody civil war, making any form of a treaty with each side useless."
- Eastern settlement, Old School RuneScape. "It was decided that as the ogre nation to the south was unstable, the Cadarn clan should be the first to settle the newly acquired land, as they were one of the few clans able to defend themselves."
- Eastern settlement, Old School RuneScape. "After the Cadarn clan had secured the new realm, the other clans, seeing how much wealth was coming over Arandar, were quick to join them."
- Eastern settlement, Old School RuneScape. "New trade agreements were being created with the gnomes and humans. Soon new elven settlements started to be created... Within a few decades of 'The Break Out', the elves had created many thriving settlements and a vast network of roads."
- Gollwyn's final statement, Old School RuneScape. "[Adwr had] narrowly escaped with his life, something which could not be said about his companions. He sobbed as he recounted the betrayal, the killings, the sacking of the city, the takeover of the Tower of Voices... All of which was on Lord Iorwerth's command."
- The great divide, Old School RuneScape. "For almost two millennia we lived in the eastern realm, then in the year 1930, we lost all contact with our people in Tirannwn. We found that the route over the mountains was impassable and our incantations were unable to penetrate the gates that had been there."
- The great divide, Old School RuneScape. "King Baxtorian called an emergency council... Soon it was decided to send five members of the Cadarn clan through the Well of Voyage, to recover any information that could tell us what was happening."
- The great divide, Old School RuneScape. "After a few weeks, Adwr returned, the only one of the five scouts that made it back."
- The great divide, Old School RuneScape. "We marched on the gates of Prifddinas on the morning of the eighth day, where everything fell apart. I do not know how Lord Iorwerth knew of our plans, but his forces were waiting for us. Baxtorian tried to reason with him, but he would not listen. They destroyed almost half our forces before we called a retreat. A further quarter of us were slain by traps within the forest as we fled, left behind in our haste."
- Islwyn, Old School RuneScape. "Baxtorian and the other clan elders made one final ditch attempt to save Prifddinas. They sung the song of inversion to revert the entire city to a crystal seed."
- Arianwyn, Old School RuneScape. "[The elders'] plan worked, and the city was lost to Lord Iorwerth. However, it was lost to the rest of us as well, the Grand Library with it... With Prifddinas gone, Lord Iorwerth has claimed the land where it once was. He's managed to manipulate the defences to only allow his allies to enter."
- Baxtorian, Old School RuneScape. "After Prifddinas was reverted to seed, the clan elders went into hiding. Before we parted ways, the others did leave me with some clues on how to find them."
- Lord Iorwerth, Old School RuneScape. "[The Dark Lord] was just a ruse I'm afraid. A lie we told King Lathas to get him on our side. We needed access to West Ardougne so we needed the support of the king. Once we found out about his hidden worship of Zamorak, it seemed like an obvious lie to tell... You're right to say that the temple is key to summoning a god, but that god is not Zamorak, it's Seren."
- Lord Iorwerth, Old School RuneScape. "...I managed to break one of the seals within the Grand Library. That's how I discovered the truth. A part of Seren lives on, trapped within the Temple of Light."
- Memory of Seren, Old School RuneScape. "A part of me, trapped and alone. Dark, yes, but still a part of my being, sealed away in the Temple of Light. The protections of the temple, they should keep her contained. But in case they don't, I created one last safeguard, a prison within a prison. With it I made a key, an orb of light, to unlock the darkness. The shrine at Gorlah, that is where it lies."
- Arianwyn, Old School RuneScape. "I thought [Lord Iorwerth had] turned his back on Seren, thought he'd betrayed her. But I was wrong. Everything we thought we were fighting for was a lie. He never betrayed her, everything he did was to free her."
- Morvran, Old School RuneScape. "I served Lord Iorwerth because I didn't have a choice. The other elves realised that, hence the pardon."
- Lord Iestin Iorwerth, Old School RuneScape. "The others still hold a lot of mistrust for our clan. It will take a long time for those rifts to be repaired. We are on the right path though."
- Arianwyn, Old School RuneScape. "There's no place for me here anymore, not after what I've done... I wanted to stay long enough to help repair the damage of my actions, and to look upon Prifddinas for the first time... There's a lot of places on this world that I've never seen. Maybe one of them will help me find redemption, and forgiveness."
- Baxtorian, Old School RuneScape. "Speaking of which, myself on the other elders have come to an agreement. For too long, we've been afraid of outsiders, showing them mistrust while our own kind plot against us. After all that's happened, we've decided that from now on, that will no longer be the case. We will open our city up to the other races, letting them walk among us for the first time."
- Lilifang, Old School RuneScape. "While we've opened up the city to other races, we've decided that most of the library will remain a place for elves only."
- Lilifang, Old School RuneScape. "Now that the city is open to visitors, we've had lots of new additions from far and wide."