Ring of charos
|Ring of charos|
|Released||31 January 2005 (Update)|
|Quest item||Creature of Fenkenstrain|
|Examine||The Ring of Charos.|
|High alch||0 coins|
|Low alch||0 coins|
The ring of Charos is a magical ring that charms certain NPCs when worn, unlocking different dialogue options and benefits. Charos, the creator of the ring, used it to enhance his prowess as a diplomat and convince the weak-minded to do his bidding. The Wise Old Man says that anyone who uses the ring must already possess some kind of diplomatic skill for it to work.
If lost, it can be recovered by pickpocketing Dr Fenkenstrain on the top floor of Fenkenstrain's Castle or in the basement of the Harmony Island windmill after starting The Great Brain Robbery. Once it has been activated, it will always be recovered in its activated form.
Uses[edit | edit source]
Transportation[edit | edit source]
The ring of charos has the following uses for transportation:
- Free boat trips between the Karamja, Ardougne, and Port Sarim ports.
- Free trips to the Piscatoris Fishing Colony (unnecessary after completion of Swan Song as travel becomes permanently free).
- Reduced cost for magic carpets to 100 coins, or 75 coins once Rogue Trader is completed for Ali Morrisane (unnecessary after completion of the Hard Desert Diary as travel becomes permanently free).
- Halved cost of all tickets on the Keldagrim minecart system.
- Cost of charter ships reduced by half, or three-quarters, if Cabin Fever is completed.
- Reduced cost of travelling to Dragontooth Island from 25 to 10 ecto-tokens.
- Free boat rides from Mort'ton to the middle of Mort Myre.
Quests[edit | edit source]
It is also usable in quests:
- Garden of Tranquillity: Required, Used to charm farmers to acquire various unique seeds.
- The Great Brain Robbery: Required, Used to trick Rufus the werewolf to ship a crate. Both versions work.
- Cold War: Avoid needing a fish to bribe one of the penguins.
- The Feud: Cheaper snake charming kit from Ali the Snake Charmer in Pollnivneach.
- The Fremennik Exiles: Avoid paying 150,000 coins for a Fremennik shield only once.
- Recipe for Disaster Freeing the Mountain Dwarf: Get the recipe for Asgoldian ale for free.
Other[edit | edit source]
- Residents of Canifis think the player is a werewolf and are nice to them. Both versions work.
- Grants access to the Werewolf Agility Course. Both versions work.
- Dwarven Boatman's fee for banking gold ore near the Arzinian Mine is reduced from 20% + 1 of the gold ore to 10% + 1.
- The Dwarven Ferryman will ferry the player across the River Kelda for free.
- Periodic 10-minute fee with less than 60 Smithing at the Blast Furnace is halved from 2,500 coins to 1,250 coins.
- Ability to convince Brundt the Chieftain to change the player's Fremennik name.
- Ability to convince the Fossegrimen south-west of Rellekka to accept bass in place of shark to charge the enchanted lyre with 2 teleports.
- Sell grey wolf fur to Baraek in Varrock square for 150 coins instead of 120 coins.
- Sell molten glass to Fritz the Glassblower on Entrana for 25 coins instead of 20 coins.
- 50% Luke will tell the story of how he lost half of his body.
- Ability to choose the colour of the kitten from Gertrude. This is a medium Varrock Diary task.
- During the 2013 Christmas Event when speaking to Shanty Claws, he will say "Oh, I didn't think I'd see another werewolf here."
- Additional dialogue from Movario in the Dorgesh-Kaan South Dungeon.
Item sources[edit | edit source]
Changes[edit | edit source]
|30 January 2014
The Ring of Charos (a) now functions correctly during Dragon Slayer I.
|7 - 22 August 2006
The activated version was renamed from "Ring of charos(u)" to "Ring of charos(a)".
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- During Garden of Tranquillity, the ring of charos(a) is thrown into a well. Attempting to reclaim it by pickpocketing Dr Fenkenstrain does not work because it says the player already has one.