|Released||5 November 2015 (Update)|
|Examine||Found somewhere between a rock and a hard place.|
The rock golem is a members-only skilling pet that can be obtained while training Mining. The chances of getting it are dependent on the player's Mining level, and the time it takes to gather a resource.
When a player receives the pet, it will automatically try to appear as their follower. At the same time, a message in the chatbox will state You have a funny feeling like you're being followed. However, if a player receives a pet while having a follower out (for example, a cat), it will be placed into their inventory. When this occurs, the message in the chatbox will instead state You feel something weird sneaking into your backpack. This message also occurs if there is one last inventory space while the player already has a pet following them, in which case the pet will appear in the inventory instead and the resource dropped to the ground.
On death, if a player loses their pet (as a follower or in your inventory) it will wander around for 30 seconds before disappearing completely. It can then be reclaimed from Probita in East Ardougne for a reclaim token, which costs 1,000,000 coins.
Colours[edit | edit source]
Players can change the rock golem's colour by using the desired ore (excluding blasted and lunar ore) while it is following the player. To revert the golem to its original form, players must use a plain rock on it.
|Ore||Image||Chat head||Ore||Image||Chat head|
Drop rates[edit | edit source]
Shown below are the base chances of receiving a rock golem. When blast mining, the pet chance is rolled when you excavate the hard rock. At Volcanic Mine, it is rolled when ore fragments are received. Players cannot obtain the rock golem from mining salts in the salt mine, Daeyalt essence mine or dense runestone in the dense essence mine.
A player's actual chances of receiving it is 1 in B - (Lvl * 25), where B is the base chance and Lvl is the player's Mining level.
The fastest method on average to receive the rock golem is through gemstones when mining underground in the Shilo Village mine, and it can be further sped up with tick manipulation. If not using tick manipulation, Volcanic Mine is also recommended, as it is only slightly slower for receiving the pet while giving much better experience rates.
While the Motherlode Mine is not an efficient method for getting the rock golem, in the process of obtaining the Prospector Kit, Coal Bag, unlocking the upper level, and upgrading the pay-dirt sack will on average take 23,481.78 actions for 580 Golden Nuggets, giving an accumulative 1/10.98 chance for receiving the rock golem for the average player.
|Copper rocks/Tin rocks||741,600|
|Crashed Star (size 1)||911,340|
|Crashed Star (size 2)||609,390|
|Crashed Star (size 3)||554,490|
|Crashed Star (size 4)||521,550|
|Crashed Star (size 5)||373,320|
|Crashed Star (size 6)||244,305|
|Crashed Star (size 7)||148,230|
|Crashed Star (size 8)||118,035|
|Crashed Star (size 9)||87,840|
Dialogue[edit | edit source]
Changes[edit | edit source]
|13 July 2017
(update | poll)
|22 June 2017
Amethyst can now be used to recolour the rock golem.
|9 February 2017
(update | poll)
The rock golem was given the ability to change its appearance, with each new variant having unique dialogue.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Initial model for the rock golem pet by Mod Alfred.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The dialogue contains several cultural and in-game references:
- The tin golem's dialogue is a reference to the Tin Man from The Wizard of Oz.
- The copper golem's dialogue is a reference to the song "Karma Chameleon" by Culture Club.
- The iron golem's dialogue is a reference to a scene in the 2008 film Iron Man where the protagonist Tony Stark says "The truth is, I am Iron Man."
- The blurite golem's dialogue is a reference to the song "Blue (Da Ba Dee)" by Eiffel 65.
- The daeyalt golem's dialogue is a reference to Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith, where Chancellor Palpatine says to Anakin Skywalker, "Did you ever hear the tragedy of Darth Plagueis "the wise"? I thought not. It's not a story the Jedi would tell you."
- The granite golem's dialogue refers to how players mine granite rocks for very high experience rates. When the golem says "They just chop us up and throw us on the floor." it is referring to the practice of "power mining": mining granite blocks and then dropping them to mine more.
- The runite golem's dialogue refers to how rune equipment requires a very high Smithing level but is not the strongest equipment.
- The default golem's dialogue is a reference to Breaking Bad, where Hank argues with Marie regarding his mineral collection.
References[edit | edit source]
- Jagex. Mod Ash's Twitter account. 26 August 2018. (Archived from the original on 30 May 2020.) Mod Ash: "Yes, though skilling features will aim to avoid that by putting a new pet in your inventory ahead of whatever skilling resource you were about to be given."
- Jagex. Mod John C's Twitter account. 11 January 2016. (Archived from the original on 26 May 2020.) Mod John C: "Skill Pet Drop Rates - Rock Golem! Subtract your mining level times 25 from these numbers for chance per resource. "
- Jagex. Mod Ash's Twitter account. 3 December 2018. (Archived from the original on 26 May 2020.) Mod Ash: "No."
- Jagex. Mod Ash's Twitter account. 20 September 2020. (Archived from the original on 6 August 2021.)
- Jagex. Mod Ash's Twitter account. 29 December 2021. (Archived from the original on 21 December 2021.) Mod Ash: "The base chance is 741,600, same as @OSRS_Wiki lists for blurite, limestone, iron and so many others."
- Jagex. Mod Ash's Twitter account. 6 April 2018. (Archived from the original on 26 May 2020.) Mod Ash: "[I just got a pet from volcanic ash but the wiki doesn't have the base pet rate. Could you tell me what it is?] 741600"
- Jagex. Mod Ash's Twitter account. 10 November 2016. (Archived from the original on 26 May 2020.) Mod Ash: "[just received the rock golem from mining volcanic sulphur. the drop rate for that isn't on the wiki, do you know the base chance?] 710,000 - (25 * skill level)"
- Jagex. Mod Maz's Twitter account. 9 October 2017. (Archived from the original on 26 May 2020.) Mod Maz: "Fossil Island Golem Chance "
- Jagex. Mod Ed's Twitter account. 22 June 2017. (Archived from the original on 26 May 2020.) Mod Ed: "Mining Amethyst will offer a chance to obtain the Mining Skillpet. The chance of this is 1/x where x = 46350 - (Base Mining Level * 25)."
- Jagex. Mod John C's Twitter account. 27 January 2016. (Archived from the original on 26 May 2020.) Mod John C: "[can we get the drop rate of the golem for blast mining?] 123,600"