|Released||22 June 2005 (Update)|
|Location||Under The Toad and Chicken|
|Music||The Far Side, The Rogues' Den|
The Rogues' Den is an area containing a variety of Thieving and Agility related activities. It is located in a hideout under The Toad and Chicken inn in Burthorpe. While there aren't any requirements to enter the area itself, a player must have 50 Agility and 50 Thieving in order to start the minigame.
Getting there[edit | edit source]
- The quickest way to get there is by using a games necklace to Burthorpe and running south into the bar and down the trapdoor next to the bartender.
- Or, use the combat bracelet to the Warriors' Guild and run east to the inn.
- Players can also use the Grouping teleport to the Burthorpe Games Room and go upstairs twice before running south into the bar.
Facilities[edit | edit source]
- Brian O'Richard: Runs the maze minigame.
- Martin Thwait: Runs a general store, Martin Thwait's Lost and Found, which sells throwing knives, claws, lockpicks, and other items. The shop requires 50 Thieving and 50 Agility to open, and is notable for buying items at their High Level Alchemy price rather than their Low Level Alchemy price. Martin also provides the Thieving cape and hood to players with 99 Thieving.
- Emerald Benedict: Runs the bank. He stands two (2) tiles away from an everlasting fire, making him one of the three closest banks to a Cooking location in all of Old School RuneScape, the other two being the range in the Myths' Guild, and the sulfur vent in Mor Ul Rek.
- Grace: Proprietress of Grace's Graceful Clothing and seller of the Graceful outfit.
Wall safes[edit | edit source]
There are four (4) wall safes in the middle of the waiting room. Players can attempt to crack these open, which on a successful attempt can provide uncut gems up to diamond or 20 or 40 coins. This is an easy way of getting uncut gems, especially for ironmen. Players can purchase a stethoscope from Martin Thwait to increase their chances of successfully cracking the safe open.
Maze[edit | edit source]
Introduction[edit | edit source]
The main attraction of the Rogues' Den is the Thieving and Agility maze. Attempting this minigame requires level 50 in both Thieving and Agility (cannot be boosted from below 50). The objective is to get to the centre without getting caught in one of the many traps. With every trap you disarm, your Thieving level is reduced temporarily, and with every obstacle you go through, your Agility will decrease a little. If either of these skills reaches zero (0), you lose the game and will be teleported back to start. You gain experience depending on how far you got in the maze. If you make it to the end, you can crack a safe for unique rewards (Rogue's equipment crate or a Rogue kit).
While you are in the maze, Prayer is reduced to zero. Agility, Thieving and Prayer are restored to their normal level when you leave the maze. Before attempting to start the mini-game, you must bank everything including equipment, as you're not allowed to bring anything into the maze. When you enter the maze, Brian O'Richard will give you a mystic jewel, which allows you to leave the maze whenever you want.
Without using the level 80 Thieving shortcut, a single run can take about three (3) minutes and 40 seconds to complete, assuming you start every run with 100% energy and right after drinking a dose of a stamina potion. A run with the level 80 Thieving shortcut is significantly shorter, and it takes only two (2) minutes to complete.
Note: No items or gear are allowed inside of the maze! Before you enter the maze, it is suggested that you drink a single dose of a stamina potion and drop or smash the empty vial.
Map[edit | edit source]
Traps and dangerous obstacles are shown in yellow on the map. You immediately leave the maze if you trigger a trap or touch a dangerous obstacle. Traps can be disarmed by searching them; this uses up Thieving points. Some traps can be run past or over without triggering them, without using up Thieving points. This is referred to as the "run trick".
Less-dangerous obstacles are shown in green. You use up a certain amount of Agility points when you pass these obstacles. They are not dangerous unless you run out of Agility points, in which case you will fail them and immediately leave the maze. Watch your Agility points and make sure you have at least six (6) points remaining for the last two obstacles.
All doors in the maze are one-way: you can only pass them in one direction. This includes the doors to go to the viewing gallery and even includes the first door you use to enter the maze. Passageways, however, are two-way.
Walkthrough[edit | edit source]
Enter the Rogues' Den without any items in your inventory or equipped. You will automatically receive a mystic jewel to leave the Den whenever you want.
Pre-shortcut[edit | edit source]
Long route[edit | edit source]
|Go north through the passageway, over the blade, and through another passageway.|
|Go east and stand before the traps (see screenshot), then click on the passageway while RUNNING so you will not activate the traps.|
|Walk carefully around the spinning blades and climb the ledge.|
|Right click on the first wall and use the function "Search wall" to temporally disable this trap.
Then RUN past the other three walls.
|Move past the blades into the next room.
Grab the south-eastern tile (see screenshot) and open the door. Click on the tile in the puzzle screen and you can proceed.
|Pass through the grills as shown in the screenshot.|
|Walk all the way to the south.
Go to the west and stand still right before the three wall traps, then RUN past them.
|Enter the next room, stop right before the traps and RUN past them.
Do the same for the next room and click on the pendulum.
Watch out for the single floor trap in the small corridor after the pendulum.
|Go to the left and again stop right before the first floor trap, then RUN past all of them.|
Post-shortcut[edit | edit source]
|Ignore the spinning blades.
Stop before the first floor trap and RUN past all of them.
|Pick up the Flash powder, but do not get close to a guard.
Then, use the powder on the guard and RUN past him while he is stunned.
Move past the last two pendulums and you have completed the maze.
|Crack any of wall safes and you will teleport out of the maze.
Note: There is a chance to fail the lockpicking and end up without reward.
Reward[edit | edit source]
At the end of the maze are wall safes that can be cracked in order to receive a reward. The wall safe opened has no effect on whether or not the attempt is successful.
Players who successfully crack a wall safe are rewarded with one of the following items:
- Rogue kit, which can be turned once into a rope, chisel, tinderbox or a spade.
- Rogue's equipment crate, which allows the player to select one piece of rogue equipment:
While wearing pieces of rogue equipment, players have an increased chance of pickpocketing twice the loot from an NPC, with the full set guaranteeing the double loot. Experience drops remain unaffected.
to crack a safe
for full set
The percentage above includes failures to crack the safe as well as the chance of getting a rogue kit instead.
The calculations assume the player is taking no risks with the traps.
Changes[edit | edit source]
|1 June 2017
(update | poll)
If you would find a piece of Rogue equipment, you will now instead find a Rogue's equipment crate allowing you to choose which piece you wish to get.
|13 October 2016
Some messages on Rogues' Den reward traps are now filtered.
|23 January 2014
Emerald Benedict will no longer disappear under certain conditions.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Brian O'Richard is a play on the name of the actor Richard O'Brien who used to host a popular UK TV program called The Crystal Maze.
- Previously, players were required to obtain a mystic jewel from Brian O'Richard prior to entering the maze. This was changed in an update.
- In RuneScape, Brian O’Richard complained about the fact that "his wonderful Rogues’ Den is full of cooks rather than thieves, using the everlasting fire to burn lobsters." during a behind the Scenes in 2011.
- After the update that allowed players to choose which rogue equipment piece they receive from a crate, there is a rare chance for the chat dialogue to have "...how convenient." added to the end.
References[edit | edit source]
- Jagex. Mod Ash's Twitter account. 1 November 2020. (Archived from the original on 3 November 2020.) Mod Ash: "Pick a random number 0-199. If it's higher than your current visible Thieving stat, you get: - 50% chance of being ejected, and getting no roll. - 50% chance of your Thieving draining by 1, but continuing with the roll. The roll is 3/8 for a kit, and 5/8 for a crate of outfit."
- "Behind the Scenes December" News
|Traps and obstacles|