RuneScape:Requests for adminship
A request for adminship (RfA) is the process by which users of the Old School RuneScape Wiki can request access to the administrator (sometimes also referred to as sysop) or bureaucrat user groups. Administrator's tools include the ability to block users from editing, to delete and protect pages, and grant editors access to the rollback and custodian usergroups. For more information on administrators and their tools, please see the administrators page. Users with the bureaucrat right have access to all administrators' tools and have responsibility for determining consensus on requests for adminship and for granting access to the administrator user group to successful candidates.
Any registered user may nominate another registered user for administrative rights, or a user may be self-nominated. Candidates for bureaucratship must already have sysops user rights. Requests are public discussions; all users are encouraged to comment on whether they believe that the nominee should be granted adminship. Requests must last for at least two weeks at which point they may be analyzed for a final decision: the strength of the arguments supporting, opposing, or expressing a certain opinion of the candidate is used to determine the success of the request as per the wiki's consensus policy. If the outcome of the request is not clear, the nomination may be extended for a further period of time in order to determine a proper consensus.
While the only hard requirement for candidates is to have a wiki account, users within the community have their own expectations of administrators against which they judge potential new administrators during the RfA process. Some common expectations involve:
- Duration and breadth of editing history
- Appropriate/positive interaction with other users on the wiki and off-site
- Understanding of the community's ethos and established policies
- Trustworthiness/good judgement
Comments should assess the suitability of the candidate to be entrusted with the tools associated with adminship as well as the responsibility of being viewed as a representative of the wiki community. Further insight into community expectations can be gained from previous requests.
Nominations must be accepted by the user in question. If you wish to nominate a user, make sure you let the user know before creating the request.
How to nominate
- Create a page at "RuneScape:Requests for adminship/NOMINEE" or "RuneScape:Requests for bureacrat/NOMINEE", where NOMINEE is the username of the nominee.
- If this is not the first RfA for the user (or is an RfB) add /# to the page name.
- Add a link to the previous nomination to the request.
- Follow the instructions given on , or (depending on the nature of the nomination) to fill out the request.
- The candidate must then sign the acceptance of nomination section on their request page.
Current requests for adminship
|Current requests for adminship|
|Username||Nomination date||Closing date||Discussion|
|There are currently no requests for adminship.|
Instructions for bureaucrats
Once a request has run for at least one week, the following procedure should be executed by a bureaucrat:
- Announce on the candidate's RfA page that their RfA is finished with the final decision, or place a note of intent if more time is required.
- Protect the RfA page to autoconfirmed level.
- Add a link to the finished nomination to the archive.
If the request was successful, the following steps should be executed:
- Add the person to the appropriate user-group using the user rights management page. Remove redundant usergroups, such as rollback and/or custodian.
- Give the user the appropriate usergroup highlight on MediaWiki:Common.less/highlight.less. This changes the highlights for all skins.
- Update MediaWiki:Common.css, MediaWiki:Vector-darkmode.css and MediaWiki:Minerva.css via the "Update CSS" button next to the "Edit" button.
- Add the candidate to the list of administrators.
- Add Category:Administrators on their userpage.
- Optional: add their signature to MediaWiki:Newusermessage-signatures.
If the user is a member of the Discord:
- Find the person's account.
- Add the
osrs wiki adminsrole to the account.
If the user is active on Reddit:
- Contact Reddit mods to grant the user wiki admin flair.