RuneScape:Requests for adminship/Brok Enwings
I joined the wiki(a) in 2014 and been granted admin rights in 2016 (Thanks Ozu). Self removed sysop in 2018 because of real life stuff and got back into editing 2 Months ago. I obviously didn't want to Request for Adminship right of the bat because i wanted to see if i got the motivation to do wiki stuff again. Had to re-learn few things and also had the opportunity to talk to our new editors/admins which was a great experience :)
I, Brok Enwings, accept this nomination for administratorship. I have read the policies concerning administrators. I realise that this nomination may fail. If I do get community consensus, I promise not to abuse my tools because I realise that this is a serious offence. If the community finds that I have done so, my tools will be revoked, and in extreme cases I could be given a community ban. Signed, ─ BrokTalk 19:22, 8 April 2020 (UTC)
Questions for the nominee
1. What work do you intend to take part in?
I mostly check recent changes, upload images, do newsposts and, if i am available, updates itself. Usually updates (smaller ones) are already done by the time i come home.
2. What have been your most helpful contributions to the RuneScape Wiki, and why?
Taking tons of Detailed images and equipped images, undoing vandalism and blocking people.
3. Have you been in any conflicts over editing in the past or have other users caused you stress? How have you dealt with it and how will you deal with it in the future?
Not sure this is relevant: The "little" misunderstanding in 2018 due to little communication with the other admins (mostly User:JaydenKieran). I don't really remember how i dealt with it but i don't think this is an issue anymore. Other than that, no major conflict.
Additional questions (asked by the community if necessary)
Question - You mentioned about getting motivation for the Wiki again. What task(s) have you found recently that have resparked your joy/motivation in editing and to forsee those being interim and replaced by other tasks or ongoing endeavors? Legaia2Pla ᴛ · ʟ · ᴄ 22:25, 9 April 2020 (UTC)
Answer - One of the reasons is that i enjoy the game again. When i left, i didn't have time anymore to really play the game and editing became more of a chore than actually enjoying it. Now that i have dealt with the rl stuff, i can play the game again more actively and edit the wiki without seeing it as a chore. Taking detailed images sure was something i really enjoyed doing, and "resparked" my motivation. Even though, we don't do that anymore, i still find enjoyment in other wiki related things (e.g. Weekly updates, update posts and uploading images). ─ BrokTalk 20:45, 10 April 2020 (UTC)
- Question - Thank you for the response. I have another question. You mentioned that one of the things you've contributed to the Wiki in your time was blocking people. Aside from that, there's a lack of explicit tools/permissions that you're planning to use to further your contributions to the Wiki if granted them. Are you able to elaborate on any projects you'd want to engage in with the new set of tools/permissions or how the lack of these tools/permissions have prevented you from doing certain projects? Legaia2Pla ᴛ · ʟ · ᴄ 23:24, 11 April 2020 (UTC)
- Answer - While i agree, back in the day, blocking users and deleting unwanted/spam images was a much bigger thing than it is now, its still something why admins are needed, and you shouldn't downplay it. So to answer your question: I need the tools mostly for anti-vandalism things. Additionally for updating the main page, deal with administrative requests and protecting pages, in case its needed. ─ BrokTalk 18:24, 12 April 2020 (UTC)
Question - It's good to see you back. You've been around the OSRS wiki for over 5 years -- I was wondering if you could contrast how things were in 2015-16ish with how they are now. What are the biggest changes? Are there aspects of the earlier community that you miss, and wish were still prevalent? Are there things that you think are better (or worse) than before? ʞooɔ 06:53, 14 April 2020 (UTC)
Answer - Thank you! Good question.. Even though many things became easier with the new tools and images provided by abex/runelite, i still miss taking DIIs which was one of my favorite stuff to do. I also think editing as a newcomer was much easier back then, because things were somewhat simpler with less Modules. Im not saying that having more modules is a bad thing, but its defenitely harder to find your way into editing without knowing how it works. The amount of vandalism definitely decreased. Not sure its our better abuse filter or people in general matured a little in that time period. I'm happy to see so many new editors than there was before. Not sure what else to say, its good to be back! ─ BrokTalk 08:37, 14 April 2020 (UTC)
Support - Brok was a good admin before from what I've seen and continues to be a great editor now, full support from me19:20, 8 April 2020 (UTC)
Support - Brok, or as I remembered him, Rainbow Dash94, was a good editor who came in a time where we were severely understaffed (aka the good old days). When Oz nominated him for an RfA, I had already believed that he would be able to use the tools that I'd given him responsibly, and up until his untimely departure he had done just that. His return, general mingling with the new admins and editors as well as his ease of transition into how things are done now compared to years ago is enough for me to welcome him back to the team of the most oppressed group of all: Old School Wiki Admins. -- SpineTalk 02:52, 12 April 2020 (UTC)
Support - I had some reserves since it was so soon since you came back and the thought of what happens if you lose interest quickly, but your answers to James were good to satisfy that worry. Jakesterwars (talk) 18:05, 13 April 2020 (UTC)
Support - You’re an asshole but a good asshole. Okay but really, I don’t even remember the old misunderstandings we had, so we good my friend. Very suitable admin indeed jayden 09:01, 14 April 2020 (UTC)
Support - Wasn't here during Brok's original adminship, but in good standing I'm for re-granting permissions. All good interactions, so I have nothing negative to say. Choppetalk 05:38, 15 April 2020 (UTC)