|Released||13 August 2001 (Update)|
|Examine||A rocky outcrop.|
|Object ID||11376, 11377|
Runite rocks are the second-highest level rock in Old School RuneScape, bested by amethyst crystals, requiring 85 Mining to mine. When successfully mined, the player receives a runite ore and 125 Mining experience. After being mined, runite rocks take 12 minutes to respawn. They are highly popular and often are depleted of their resources, which prompts players to switch worlds to find rocks that haven't been mined. It is recommended not to hop to busy servers as busy worlds are more likely to have their ores already depleted.
Mining runite ore is not recommended for players who are solely interested in leveling their mining skill due to how slowly the rocks are successfully mined. For example, to level from 98 to level 99, most players will need to spend at least 139814 mining attempts to gather enough to runite. This amounts to roughly 3 days of continuous mining.
When mining runite, players may find it useful to keep track of the time that they mined the ore as well as the world number. If done accurately, players can hop to other worlds (keeping more such notes along the way) to mine runite while keeping an eye on the time, and then hop back to worlds where they previously mined runite when it is about time for the ore to respawn. This method of collecting runite ore does not need to be used when mining outside of popular member areas, such as the Fossil Island mine requiring Bone voyage to access said mine, or at secluded areas like the Central Fremennik Isles mine, which requires starting The Fremennik Isles. Moreover, starting Mourning's End Part II and wearing Mourner gear opens up the Mourner Tunnels mine, which is another remote mine for members.
Runite rocks in places like the Central Fremennik Isles mine are rarely targeted by players, and as such, there is little need to worry about the ore being sometimes contested, whereas the popular 46 Wilderness Mine among both free players and members is almost always taken. However, such places in the Wilderness are usually dangerous due to high-level monsters and, more importantly, player killers.
Wearing either superior mining gloves or expert mining gloves while mining a runite rock grants a 12.5% chance for the rock to not deplete upon mining a runite ore, allowing you to mine an additional ore before depleting.
Mining Info[edit | edit source]
|Mining XP||125 xp|
|Respawn time||12 minutes|
6 minutes in Mining Guild
Pre roll drops[edit | edit source]
A gem table rolls before the main drop table. There's a chance to receive nothing here so that players can receive no items from an iron rock even if they are guaranteed to receive an iron ore in the main drop table. The table gets more likely to be rolled if the player has a glory amulet equipped: the probability grows from 1/256 to 1/86.
|Nothing||N/A||70/32,768; 70/11,008[d 1]||N/A||N/A|
|Uncut sapphire||1||32/32,768; 32/11,008[d 1]||371||15|
|Uncut emerald||1||16/32,768; 16/11,008[d 1]||558||30|
|Uncut ruby||1||8/32,768; 8/11,008[d 1]||1,139||60|
|Uncut diamond||1||2/32,768; 2/11,008[d 1]||2,571||120|
- The drop rate is increased while wearing a amulet of glory
Main drops[edit | edit source]
The probability for a player to receive a runite ore drop depends on the player's mining level.
The chance of successfully mining a runite rock varies from 11/256 at level 1 (if such a thing were possible), up to 19/256 at level 99.
Conditional drops[edit | edit source]
The following table shows items which can additionally be received upon a successful resource roll. Also, iron rocks will deplete upon a successful resource roll.
|Clue geode (beginner)||1||Rare||Not sold||N/A|
|Clue geode (easy)||1||Rare||Not sold||N/A|
|Clue geode (medium)||1||Rare||Not sold||N/A|
|Clue geode (hard)||1||Rare||Not sold||N/A|
|Clue geode (elite)||1||Rare||Not sold||N/A|
|Crystal shard||1||Rare[d 1]||Not sold||N/A|
|Unidentified minerals||1||Rare[c 1]||Not sold||30|
|Rock golem||1||Very rare||Not sold||N/A|
- Only dropped by Prifddinas versions.
- Unidentified minerals can only be obtained while in the Mining Guild.
Locations[edit | edit source]
Tools & equipment[edit | edit source]
- There's a 10% chance of mining 2 runite ores at once by wearing Varrock armour 4.
- There's a 1/8 chance of making a runite rock instantly respawn when mined by wearing superior mining gloves or expert mining gloves.
- It is recommended to use a dragon pickaxe to speed up the mining process.
- Prospector kit can be worn in-order to boost mining XP by 2.5%.
References[edit | edit source]
- Jagex. Mod Ash's Twitter account. 11 February 2020. (Archived from the original on 27 November 2020.) Mod Ash: "It adds a gem roll before each ore roll, and if you receive a gem you don't get the ore roll."
- Jagex. Mod Ash's Twitter account. 6 July 2020. (Archived from the original on 27 November 2020.) Mod Ash: "Yes, [the mining gem table has] got [...] chance of giving no gem."
- Jagex. Mod Ash's Twitter account. 7 Feb 2017. (Archived from the original on 18 Jun 2019.) Mod Ash: "[the actual increase when wearing the Amulet of Glory while mining is] 1/86 rather than 1/256 for a gem."
- Jagex. Mod Ash's Twitter account. 12 June 2017. (Archived from the original on 26 September 2020.) Mod Ash: "7.1% per roll at 99, 3.9% per roll at level 1 (assuming you were even allowed to try)."
|Mining rocks and sources|