Scabaras is the god of isolation and one of the four minor gods of the Menaphite Pantheon, a collection of deities that rule over the Kharidian Desert. His followers are known as Scabarites. According to a legend from the Book of Light and Day, he was created from the last of four dreams the main god Tumeken once had over four days. The dream that resulted in Scabaras's creation was however a nightmare, born from Tumeken's feeling of isolation.
According to legend, Scabaras proclaimed himself omnipotent and demanded that he be the only god worshipped some time in the early Fourth Age. The people rebelled and banished the god, upon which his blood washed over scarabs to create the race of kalphites. Inhowfar this is accurate remains up to debate, but the effect of the Keris dagger does seem to suggest that Scabarites and kalphites are somehow related.
Regardless of the exact nature of Scabaras's disappearance, it is generally agreed that he suffered a 'fall from grace,' details of which are only known to the Menaphite and Sophanite clergy. Jex suggests that the general knowledge about Scabaras is not necessarily accurate.
Another tale with a similar theme tells of the Sect of Scabaras, the god's following of 'architects of the subterranean'. They apparently decided to built a passage underneath the River Elid and Elidinis smote them for their insolence, not to be seen again. Neite suggests that the sect were buried beneath the river itself. Her followers fashioned the Keris dagger, especially effective against the Scabarites. They resurfaced in 169 of the Fifth Age, however, attacking the Temple of the Lesser Gods from their tunnels that connect to Menaphos. The Scabarites, a race of apparent human and scarab hybrids, are rather aggressive and are responsible for the deaths of many Sophanites, as well as Kaleef.
References[edit | edit source]
- Natural historian, "Varrock Museum", Old School RuneScape. "Indeed, there is some relationship between the Kalphite Queen and the desert god Scabaras, but no one is really sure what. During the early part of the fourth age, Scabaras proclaimed himself omnipotent and outlawed worship of all other gods save him. When the people eventually revolted against his repressive rule and banished Scabaras, it is said his blood washed over the scarabs and transformed them into the kalphites we know today. Of course, any right-minded scientist discounts these myths as mere stories, with no historical basis in fact."
- Osman, "Contact!", Old School RuneScape. "We discovered a stash of them in some of our investigations. As far as we have been able to determine, it was created by worshippers of Elidinis in order to smite the followers of Scabaras. They are specially enchanted against both scarab creatures and kalphites...which is odd, since we thought the two races to be entirely different."
- Jex, "Contact!", Old School RuneScape. "Not really; there are simply details of Scabaras'[sic] fall from grace that are only known to we[sic] priests. Some of his supposed faults can be forgiven. I just can't explain why at the moment."
- High Priest (Sophanem), "Contact!", Old School RuneScape. "Yes, the followers of Scabaras used to be great architects of the subterranean. According to legend, they once planned to build a passage under the river Elid. No doubt Elidinis smote them because none of the followers were ever seen again."
- Neite, "Sophanem", Old School RuneScape. "Hah! Those insane earth burrowers! They got their comeuppance! They thought they could undermine the mighty Elidinis so she buried them. They have never been seen around here since."