|Released||7 September 2017 (Update)|
|Examine||A seaweed spore - plant in a seaweed patch.|
|High alch||12 coins|
|Low alch||8 coins|
|Store price||20 mermaid's tears (Mairin)|
|Exchange||596 coins (info)|
Seaweed spores are used in the Farming skill and require level 23 in the skill to grow them. They are planted at the seaweed patch in the underwater area of Fossil Island. Players can pay Mernia to protect this patch by giving her 200 numulites.
Once fully grown, which takes approximately 30 minutes, players will be able to harvest giant seaweeds. A minimum of three can be collected per patch, with the average being around 15–30 (if super or ultracompost is used; 8-16 if compost is not used), depending on one's Farming level. Specifically, the patch has three "lives" by default, and each tier of compost adds one extra. The chance to not consume a life upon harvest is 64.1% at level 23 and 82% at level 99, using linear interpolation for other levels. Magic secateurs and the farming cape do not have an effect.
Sources[edit | edit source]
Seaweed spores can be obtained via the following methods:
- They may randomly appear when diving in shallow water within the underwater area beneath Fossil Island. 1-3 seaweed spores can spawn, and they will despawn in 30 seconds. Like marks of grace, they appear individually for each player.
- They can be obtained from ammonite crabs, lobstrosities and Fossil Island Wyverns.
- They can be purchased from Mairin's Market in exchange for 20 mermaid's tears per spore.
Farming info[edit | edit source]
|Seeds per||1 seed|
|Time||40 min (4x10 min)|
Dropping monsters[edit | edit source]
Monster Combat level Quantity Rarity Lobstrosity 68 1–5 Uncommon Long-tailed Wyvern 152 3–12 Uncommon Spitting Wyvern 139 12 Uncommon Taloned Wyvern 147 6–12 Uncommon Ancient Wyvern 210 3–24 Uncommon Ammonite Crab 25 1–2 Rare
Growth stages[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Upon release, seaweed spores cost 50 mermaid's tears in Mairin's Market. This was reduced to 20 in an update on 31 May 2018.
References[edit | edit source]
- Jagex. Mod Ash's Twitter account. 12 October 2018. Mod Ash: "3 [lives] as standard. Add 1-3 for the tier of compost you used. The chance scales from 59% - 82% of NOT taking a life when you get an item, as your level goes from 1-99."
- Jagex. Mod Ash's Twitter account. 25 Jun 2018. Mod Ash: "No, doesn't look like it. I guess you weren't expected to have them equipped down there."