"Spores" redirects here. For the spores used to grow mushrooms, see mushroom spore
Seaweed spores are used in the Farming skill and require level 23 in the skill to grow them. They are planted at the seaweed patch in the underwater area of Fossil Island. Players can pay Mernia to protect this patch by giving her 200 numulites.
Once fully grown, which takes approximately 40 minutes, players will be able to harvest giant seaweed. A minimum of three can be collected per patch, with the average being around 15–30 (if super or ultracompost is used; 8-16 if compost is not used), depending on one's Farming level. Specifically, the patch has three "lives" by default, and each tier of compost adds one extra. The chance to not consume a life upon harvest is 64.1% at level 23 and 82% at level 99, using linear interpolation for other levels. Magic secateurs and the farming cape do not have an effect.
Giant seaweed is often grown by players for Tangleroot due to the relatively high chance of obtaining it compared to the seaweed spore growth time, as well as by ironmen for its use in Crafting.
Seaweed spores can be obtained via the following methods:
- They may randomly appear when diving in shallow water within the underwater area beneath Fossil Island. 1-3 seaweed spores can spawn, and they will despawn in 30 seconds. Like marks of grace, they appear individually for each player. However, unlike marks of grace, if you log out, they will disappear instantly and they will not be there when you log back in. When they spawn, they release a cloud of bubbles, and all players whose spores spawn on that tick will spawn at the same tile.
- They can be obtained from ammonite crabs, lobstrosities and Fossil Island Wyverns.
- They can be purchased from Mairin's Market in exchange for 20 mermaid's tears per spore.
- They can be pickpocketed from Master Farmers.
For an exhaustive list of all known sources for this item, see here
This list was created dynamically. For help, see the FAQ
To force an update of this list, click here
- ↑ Jagex. Mod Ash's Twitter account. 12 October 2018. (Archived from the original on 28 May 2020.) Mod Ash: "3 [lives] as standard. Add 1-3 for the tier of compost you used. The chance scales from 59% - 82% of NOT taking a life when you get an item, as your level goes from 1-99."
- ↑ Jagex. Mod Ash's Twitter account. 25 June 2018. (Archived from the original on 29 May 2020.) Mod Ash: "No, doesn't look like it. I guess you weren't expected to have them equipped down there."