|Also known as||Queen of Harmony|
|Alignment||Harmony and Peace|
|Examine||The crystalline goddess of the elves.|
She was created by the Elder God Mah on the world of Freneskae, before she left and settled on Tarddiad with the elves, and eventually brought them with her to Gielinor. She inspired the elves to build their city, Prifddinas, the way they did so they could communicate, protect themselves and prosper. She is the original provider of elven crystal and is present within all of it.
History[edit | edit source]
Origin[edit | edit source]
Seren was created aeons ago on the planet Freneskae by the Elder god Mah alongside her companion Zaros. Seren cared deeply for Mah, but Zaros began to resent her and her control and longed to escape, offering Seren to come with him, but Seren refused. Zaros eventually left Freneskae, and witnessing how his absence affected Mah, Seren tried to calm her to little avail. Seren also witnessed how Mah in her sleep began to create new beings, the Mahjarrat, pale imitations of herself and Zaros. Seren discovered that the creation of these beings weakened Mah, and to get the energy back, Seren taught them the Ritual of Rejuvenation, where they would sacrifice one of their numbers regularly to restore her. Despite Seren's efforts, Mah continued to grow weaker and her dreams began to manifest to more horrific and instinctual creatures, and realising she could no longer do anything to help her, she left her.
The Goddess of the Elves[edit | edit source]
Seren wandered the universe, visiting many worlds, and eventually set foot upon the elven world of Tarddiad. She was enamored with the elves, and the feelings were mutual. Seren provided the elves with crystals infused with her own essence and taught them the art of crystal singing, using their voices to shape the crystals into whatever they needed.
However, Seren was deeply horrified, when she witnessed elves dying of old age, and in desperation prolonged their lives with her essence through a song per elven tradition called the Song of Creation. Though it extended the elves' lifespans for millennia, she soon discovered that they were bound to her, and if they were away from her for too long, they would become ill and eventually die of immense pain.
Some time later, the god Guthix came to Tarddiad and persuaded her to come to the perfect world filled with immense power. Seren decided to go, as she wanted to return the elves back to their normal state and this world may have had the power she needed to do so. Though the elves were hesitant to leave their homeworld behind, most of them eventually agreed to journey with Seren to this new world.
From there, they settled in the lands called Tirannwn and created the massive crystal city of Prifddinas to remind them of their old home. Seren sensed a large amount of power and set out to find what she needed. After several millennia, she eventually located a source of energy, revealed to be a massive concentration of death energy: the Death Altar created by the Fremennik god V. She believed that the negative death energy would counter her positive light energy and allow the elves to finally live normal lives. Seren poured her essence into the creation of a fragment of herself, only for it to lash out and attempt to destroy her. Seren defeated the fragment, but unwilling to destroy it, instead had it sealed in the depths and had the Temple of Light built around it to keep it there. An orb of pure light was also created as an additional safeguard, but Seren decided not to destroy it, as she still questioned her decision, and felt it was up to the elves to discover and decide what to do with it.
The God Wars[edit | edit source]
During the God Wars, Seren protected her elves from direct involvement in the war. When Guthix banished the gods by creating the Edicts of Guthix, Seren was also forced to leave despite not being a major participant in the war. However, knowing that her curse would kill the elves if she left, and that they were most likely unwilling to leave, decided to shatter herself into numerous crystal shards across Tirannwn to ensure they could live without her full presence. 
Elven Civil War[edit | edit source]
With Seren gone, the elves were in a panic as they had no one to look to. Lord Baxtorian Cadarn and his wife Queen Glarial restored order and eventually left Tirannwn to settle in the lands east of the Galarpos Mountains. Lord Iorwerth caused a civil war in the process after discovering and misinterpreting a message Seren left behind in her library and tried to free the fragment, forcing Baxtorian to return with most of Clan Cadarn to stop Iorwerth, but he was defeated and his kingdom was in ruins when he returned.
Lord Iorwerth would make an alliance with King Lathas by quarantining West Ardougne, allowing Iorwerth's elves, disguised as "mourners" to take slaves to find where the Temple of Light was located. However, a human adventurer who was affiliated with the rebels, managed to reactivate the Temple's safeguards, preventing it from being accessed in the next thousand years.
Following King Lathas' execution, Lord Iorwerth sent two hooded figures to capture the adventurer and Elena, though before they can be taken prisoner, Arianwyn and the elven resistance arrive to stop them. Lord Iorwerth revealed that he thought Seren to be dead, but when he broke the seal, found that she was alive. He intended to free the fragment, which he eventually does after launching an attack on the dwarves' camp in the Underground Pass as he learned they have a backdoor entrance to the Temple of Light.
Breaking through the safeguards and possessing both orbs, Lord Iorwerth freed the fragment of Seren. The fragment immediately noticed the adventurer and dragged them to its realm, believing it to be a servant of Seren sent to dispose of her themselves. The adventurer defeated the fragment with Lord Iorwerth giving his last remarks after the ensuing battle. Iorwerth stated that although the fragment was angry, it was also innocent, confused, and hurt; reflecting much of his own thoughts and actions during these moments.
Followers[edit | edit source]
Groups and races[edit | edit source]
- Elves - The inhabitants of Tirannwn, most of their tools, armours, weapons and even their capital are made out of shards of Seren.
Notable individuals[edit | edit source]
- Lord Iorwerth - The former leader of the Iorwerth Clan.
- Lord Baxtorian Cadarn - A king of the elves during the Fourth Age.
- Arianwyn - The leader of the rebel elves of Lletya.
Affiliated items[edit | edit source]
All crystal equipment are considered affiliated with Seren, as she is the original provider of the crystal and is present within all of it.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
A depiction of Seren from Postbag from the Hedge depicting her as a tall shining crystalline structure.
References[edit | edit source]
- Memory of Seren, Old School RuneScape. "She [Mah] is our mother, our creator, we owe everything to her."
- Memory of Seren, Old School RuneScape. "I have tried to convince him [Zaros] to stay, but he will not listen. He believes our mother is controlling us, keeping us close against our will. He does not see that she only acts out of fear, fear that she might lose us. He wants me to join him, but I won't leave her behind."
- Memory of Seren, Old School RuneScape. "She cries out for him, desperate for him to return to her. I've been trying my best to comfort her, but it has been little help."
- Memory of Seren, Old School RuneScape. "In her desperation for him to return, she has created new life in his image. They [the Mahjarrat] are pale imitations though, shadows of him and I."
- Memory of Seren, Old School RuneScape. "Their creation has been sapping her energy, and I fear she will grow too weak. All may not be lost though, for I may be able to convince them to sacrifice their energy and return it to her."
- Memory of Seren, Old School RuneScape. "As she dreams, more beings are manifested. While her initial creations held some intellect, the latest ones have been purely instinctual. She is clearly running out of energy and running out of time. The beings that sacrificed themselves for her slowed things down, but it hasn't been enough."
- Memory of Seren, Old School RuneScape. "I am left with no choice, for I am powerless to help her. I have to leave her, before it is too late."
- Memory of Seren, Old School RuneScape. "I travelled far and wide, finding nothing but empty worlds, long since abandoned. I almost gave up, but just as I was ready to stop, I came upon a world full of life."
- Memory of Seren, Old School RuneScape. "When I first encountered the elves on their homeworld of Tarddiad, it was like I had finally found my purpose. I quickly fell in love with them, and they with me. I set out to help them, to guide them. They immediately embraced this, and one of their mystics, Ceidwad, documented my teachings in a great book called the Cerddi."
- Memory of Seren, Old School RuneScape. "As I spent time with the elves, I watched as they withered and died. Each death was a blade through my heart, but none more so than Ceidwad, my closest companion. It didn't seem fair, didn't seem right. They deserved more."
- Memory of Seren, Old School RuneScape. "...I found a way to share my essence with the elves, a piece of my being for each one of them. With this gift, their years would number in the thousands, time enough to live the lives they deserved."
- Memory of Seren, Old School RuneScape. "In keeping with elven tradition, the gift was given through a song. They called it the song of creation, for it was the creation of a new life for them."
- Memory of Seren, Old School RuneScape. "...With all my knowledge, I should have known not to meddle. That which I intended as a gift, soon turned out to be their curse. The song of creation increased their lifespans, but at a terrible price. It bound them to me. To stray too far from their sides, caused pain, and even death."
- Memory of Seren, Old School RuneScape. "...Another being came to our world. Divine like myself, but not by design. He [Guthix] spoke of a perfect world, one filled with power."
- Memory of Seren, Old School RuneScape. "I knew it was a risk, but I decided to travel there. The power he spoke of might have been the only thing capable of saving the elves."
- Memory of Seren, Old School RuneScape. "The curse made it impossible for me to go without them, so they had to come with me, and leave their home behind. It was hard on them, but in the end, I managed to convince them..."
- Memory of Seren, Old School RuneScape. "...We made our home in the new world, in a great city of crystal spires. It was as beautiful as the world from which we came."
- Memory of Seren, Old School RuneScape. "The power that filled the world was even greater than I had anticipated. A higher power, one I had not encountered for a long time. I was sure this world held the key to breaking the curse, I just needed to find it..."
- Memory of Seren, Old School RuneScape. "...It took millennia, but I finally made a breakthrough. Deep beneath the mountains near our home, I found a source of deathly energy. I was sure I could use this power to save them. My essence is of life, of light. This darkness would be the perfect counter, a way to nullify the curse."
- Memory of Seren, Old School RuneScape. "...I am a being of light, but even within me, there was some darkness. I poured this darkness into my creation, combining it with the deathly energy I had found. When I was done, I looked upon my creation. A fragment of myself, but one of darkness, rather than light."
- Memory of Seren, Old School RuneScape. "I though her essence would counter my own, ending the curse with her mere existence. It was not to be though. The curse was tied to me, not to her. I had failed, and she knew it. She turned on me, tried to destroy me."
- Memory of Seren, Old School RuneScape. "I had to stop her, so I sealed her away, in the very place I had created her..."
- Memory of Seren, Old School RuneScape. "The protections on the temple, they should keep her contained. But in case they don't, I created one last safeguard, a prison within a prison. With it I made a key, an orb of light, to unlock the darkness."
- Memory of Seren, Old School RuneScape. "I could have destroyed it, sealed her away forever. But I still question my decision, so I hid the orb away, while I think upon my choices. The shrine at Gorlah, that is where it lies. With it, she can be freed... or destroyed..."
- Baxtorian, "Song of the Elves", Old School RuneScape. "As for why we don't feel the effects of the curse now, that is because Seren is still with us, every one of us."
- Eluned, "Song of the Elves", Old School RuneScape. "All of us carry them [crystal seeds] in some form or other, and all of them came from Seren when she shattered herself."
- Eastern discovery, Old School RuneScape. "After centuries of isolated development, after the God Wars, it was decided that the elven domain needed to expand. With their backs to the sea, there was only one way to go, east. After many years of hard work, a pass over the mountains was created."
- Gollwyn's final statement, Old School RuneScape. "[Adwr had] narrowly escaped with his life, something which could not be said about his companions. He sobbed as he recounted the betrayal, the killings, the sacking of the city, the takeover of the Tower of Voices... All of which was on Lord Iorwerth's command."