The Shayzien Army is the military force of the city of Shayzien. It consists of six regiments, with Lord Shiro Shayzien, the leader of the Shayzien House, being the commander-in-chief of the Shayzien Army. Though other cities, excluding Arceuus, have some form of militia, the Shayzien Army is the largest military force in Great Kourend.
Despite the size of the Shayzien Army and their importance to the defence of Great Kourend, there are two areas in particular in which they are lacking: defence against magical arts and a naval force. The naval force is meant to be lead by the Piscarilius House, but the current head, Lady Shauna Piscarilius, has no interest in forming the Kourend Navy. Despite this, there is pushback from the rest of the kingdom for the army to form a Shayzien Navy due to concerns over Shayzien having too much military power.
History[edit | edit source]
The Shayzien Army was not always the large military force that is now. During the reign of King Hosidius V, a report was written by Lord Rickard Shayzien that outlined the strength of the Shayzien Army. The army contained only 104 personnel, 12 of which were officers and 4 of which were medical staff.
In order to accomplish these goals, Lord Rickard Shayzien recommended an overhaul of the Shayzien Army's structure. He suggested that the army create three regiments: The Elder Warriors, Twisted Archers, and Kodai Mages. Each regiment would consist of 200 soldiers and be lead by a general who reported to Lord Rickard Shayzien directly.
Whether or not any of these recommendations were taken up is unknown. Since the writing of this report, the size of the army has greatly increased. However, none of the three recommended regiments currently exist, and the Shayzien Army has no magical capabilities. Despite this, there is some evidence that these regiments were created at one point in the past. A sergeant in the 38th decade, Yan Mattin, was court-martialed for refusing to capture civilians and bring them to Xeric. He was sentenced to be executed by a twisted archer, which is perhaps a reference to the aforementioned Twisted Archers regiment.
Enlisting[edit | edit source]
Most personnel in the Shayzien Army are comprised of Shayzien citizens, though in recent years more people from the other cities enlist in Shayzien. For example, Lydia Fullore, who is from Hosidius, enlisted in the Shayzien Army before joining the Royal Guard.
Those who wish to enlist in the Shayzien Army typically make their way to the recruitment office in the Shayzien Administration, though enlistees must be a resident of Great Kourend. In the past, only Shayzien citizens could enlist in the army, but this was expanded to all citizens of Great Kourend during the reign of King Byrne I. Despite this, prospective enlistees from other cities are more likely to join their local city force.
Regiments[edit | edit source]
The Shayzien Army consists of six regiments: The Intelligence Corps, the Medical Corps, the Engineering Corps, the Logistics Corps, the Rangers, and the Infantry. Though not a regiment of the army itself, the Shayzien Constabulary, who mainly deal with internal threats to the kingdom, is considered a part of Shayzien Army.
The current known leaders of the seven major divisions are:
- Intelligence Corps - General Salara (Captain Ginea leads the investigation unit of the division)
- Medical Corps - Not known
- Engineering Corps - General Kilian
- Logistics Corps - General Babacus
- Rangers - Not known
- Infantry - General Vir
- Constabulary - Commissioner Anwar
Despite their appearance, the Kourend Royal Guard are a separate entity from the Shayzien Army; instead, they directly serve the ruler of Great Kourend, and are currently lead by Commander Lydia Fullore, who ensures that they are well trained and supplied.
Equipment[edit | edit source]
All Shayzien Army soldiers wear a special type of armour known as Shayzien armour. There are five different tiers of Shayzien armour, with each tier offering greater protection against the green acidic attacks of lizardman shamans.
The tier of armour a given soldier wears reflects their skill and rank in the Shayzien Army:
- Tier one - Soldiers in basic training.
- Tier two - Soldiers who have passed basic training but are not combat ready.
- Tier three - Combat ready, but not elite soldiers.
- Tier four - Soldiers in the upper ranks of the army.
- Tier five - Chief officers and elite soldiers.
Current functions[edit | edit source]
The aim of the six regiments of the Shayzien Army is to protect the Kingdom of Great Kourend from external threats, while the Constabulary seeks to protect the kingdom from internal threats. However, these roles are often merged together.
Lizardmen[edit | edit source]
One of the main aims of the Shayzien Army is the containment of lizardmen in the Lizardman Canyon, as well as guarding the western border of the Kingdom. As a result, a large number of troops are deployed in Shayziens' Wall and the Kebos Battlefront to defend the Kingdom against the lizardmen.
The army has seen success in their efforts to contain the lizardmen, having made many areas of the Kebos Lowlands that were threatened by the lizardmen safe for civilians again. For example, the fertile land south of Mount Karuulm was cleared out to build the Farming Guild.
A current concern of the Shayzien Army is the ability of the lizardmen to cut off the army's connection to Lovakengj. Should a blockade occur, the Shayzien supply lines would be severely impacted. As leader of the Logistics Corps, General Babacus has been tasked with creating contingency plans should the army's supply lines be cut. The connection between Lovakengj and Shayzien is especially important because the Shayzien Army sources most of its from Shayzien. 
Organized crime[edit | edit source]
The Shayzien Army, specifically the Constabulary in conjunction with help from the Intelligence Corps, has been tasked with rooting out criminal gangs in Port Piscarilius. That the Constabulary is receiving support from the Intelligence Corps is an example of how the distinctions between the different regiments are the Constabulary have blurred in the army over time.
Governance of Shayzien[edit | edit source]
Another task of the Shayzien Army is the actual running of the city of Shayzien itself. The day to day operations of running Shayzien take place in the Shayzien Administration building. With most of the leaders of the Shayzien Army in the Shayzien Encampment fighting off the lizardman threat, Commissioner Anwar has been left in charge.
The Shayzien Army also operates the Shayzien Prison, which is located to the west of Shayzien city. In addition to local criminals, the Shayzien prison is also tasked with holding the arrested members of the Kourend Council after the events of A Kingdom Divided.
References[edit | edit source]
- Lord Shiro Shayzien, Old School RuneScape. "I am the ruler of Shayzien and the commander-in-chief of the Shayzien Army."
- Captain Bruce, Old School RuneScape. "While the Shayzien Army is by far the largest military force in Kourend, the other cities still have some form of militia, apart from Arceuus of course."
- Sergeant Ricardo, Old School RuneScape. "I suppose we don't really have any magical capabilities. That's more an Arceuus thing."
- Sergeant Ricardo, Old School RuneScape. "We don't have a navy, so can't really deal with any threats at sea."
- Sergeant Ricardo, Old School RuneScape. "Lady Piscarilius is meant to be in charge of the Kourend Navy. Problem is, it doesn't actually exist. [She] has little interest in that sort of thing."
- Sergeant Ricardo, Old School RuneScape. "Lord Shayzien wants to establish a Shayzien Navy instead, but there's a lot of pushback from the rest of the kingdom. They worry about Shayzien having too much power."
- Armed Forces Report, page 2, 4, Old School RuneScape. "Officers: XII ... Medical Roster: IV ... Total Personnel: CIV"
- Armed Forces Report, page 5, Old School RuneScape. "We must expand our forces substantially in order to face these threats and defend the Kingdom of Great Kourend."
- Armed Forces Report, page 6, Old School RuneScape. "We must invest in officer class training in order to maintain obedience throughout the ranks."
- Armed Forces Report, page 6, Old School RuneScape. "Furthermore, we live in a time were magical discoveries are made every day, and the threat of a magical based attack increases with each discovery. Standard forces are not prepared to battle such a threat. We must invest in defence against these dark arts."
- Armed Forces Report, page 8, Old School RuneScape. "The armed forces shall separate into three regiments: - Elder Warriors - Twisted Archers - Kodai Mages"
- Armed Forces Report, page 8, Old School RuneScape. "Each regiment will consist of two hundred personnel under the command of a General, with each General reporting to myself."
- Commissioner Anwar, Old School RuneScape. "[What are the six regiments?] The Intelligence Corps, the Medical Corps, the Engineering Corps, the Logistics Corps, the Rangers and of course, the Infantry."
- Chronicles of Xeric, page 14-15, Old School RuneScape. "Sgt Mattin refused to follow orders pertaining to the acquisition and delivery of civilians to the chambers of His Lordship, Xeric, on the day of 3,470 - 37"
- Chronicles of Xeric, page 15, Old School RuneScape. "Sgt Mattin pleads guilty to the charge of Gross Insubordination for which the sentence is execution by twisted archer."
- Captain Bruce, Old School RuneScape. "Every year we see more people from outside Shayzien enlist."
- Captain Bruce, Old School RuneScape. "It's in the rules I'm afraid. Only citizens of Kourend are allowed to join the Shayzien Army."
- Captain Bruce, Old School RuneScape. "Well at one time only citizens of Shayzien could join the army. It wasn't until the reign of King Byrne I that people from other parts of the kingdom were allowed to enlist."
- Captain Bruce, Old School RuneScape. "Even if someone from elsewhere in the kingdom wants to become a soldier, they're far more likely to join their local city force than come to us."
- Commissioner Anwar, Old School RuneScape. "The Shayzien Army is split into six regiments plus the Shayzien Constabulary. While the six regiments are jointly responsible for protecting Kourend from external threats, we deal with issues closer to home."
- Commissioner Anwar, Old School RuneScape. "Each regiment is led by a general who reports directly to Lord Shayzien."
- Captain Ginea, Old School RuneScape. "I'm in charge of the investigations unit."
- Commander Fullore, Old School RuneScape. "Unlike the Shayzien Army, the Royal Guard serve the ruler of the kingdom directly."
- Commander Fullore, Old School RuneScape. "The Kourend Royal Guard protect and serve the ruler of Kourend. As their leader, I am responsible for ensuring that the Royal Guard are well trained and well supplied."
- Armourer (tier 1), Old School RuneScape. "My job is to coordinate tier 1 equipment. That's the basic training kit, so it's nothing fancy."
- Armourer (tier 2), Old School RuneScape. "My job is to coordinate tier 2 equipment. That's what they wear when they've passed basic training but aren't ready for real combat."
- Armourer (tier 3), Old School RuneScape. "My job is to coordinate tier 3 equipment, for warriors who can't handle the fancy equipment we make for their elite fighters."
- Armourer (tier 4), Old School RuneScape. "My job is to coordinate tier 4 equipment. It's pretty good stuff, used by their upper ranks."
- Armourer (tier 5), Old School RuneScape. "My job is to coordinate tier 5 equipment. That's the best stuff, for their chief officers and elite fighters."
- Commissioner Anwar, Old School RuneScape. "On paper [the Constabulary is] totally separate from the regiments. However, in reality you are correct. The distinction between internal and external threats grows murkier by the day."
- Lord Shiro Shayzien, Old School RuneScape. "What I can tell you is that our main focus right now is the Lizardman threat. We've moved a great number of troops into the Kebos Lowlands to combat the issue."
- Lord Shiro Shayzien, Old School RuneScape. "Absolutely, we've pushed the Lizardmen back to the point where we're finally able to allow citizens such as yourself into the region."
- Guildmaster Jane, Old School RuneScape. "After the Shayzien Army cleared out the lizardmen in this area, I founded this guild with some fellow Hosidius farmers."
- Gordon, Old School RuneScape. "Lord Hosidius made a deal with Lord Shayzien and the lizardmen were cleared out to make room for the Farming Guild."
- General Babacus, Old School RuneScape. "If they ever succeed in cutting us off from Lovakengj, our supply lines will be severely constrained, and I must work on alternate plans"
- Armourer (tier 5), Old School RuneScape. "The Shayzien armies always want supplies of armour, and the artisans of Lovakengj are responsible for supplying it."
- Commissioner Anwar, Old School RuneScape. "More and more we find ourselves working alongside the Intelligence Corps and the other regiments. In particular, they've been supporting us in combating the rising gang threat in Port Piscarilius."
- Commissioner Anwar, Old School RuneScape. "Indeed. There's more of a separation between the city of Shayzien and the Shayzien Army now than there used to be, but this will likely always be a military settlement."
- Commissioner Anwar, Old School RuneScape. "This is the Shayzien Administration. The city of Shayzien is run from here."
- Commissioner Anwar, Old School RuneScape. "A lot of focus right now is on the war with the lizardmen. Most senior members of the Shayzien Army, including Lord Shayzien himself, are working out of the Shayzien Encampment instead."