Shield of Arrav (artefact)
The Shield of Arrav is an artefact that once belonged to Arrav, a legendary hero from the Fourth Age who defended Avarrocka from the Zamorakian mahjarrat Zemouregal. It is the primary focus of the Shield of Arrav quest, wherein the player must retrieve the two shield halves from the gangs of Varrock. According to the The Legend of Arrav, the shield is remarkably strong and has the power to crumble undead to dust.
The Legend of Arrav[edit | edit source]
During the Fourth Age, Arrav had visited the Land of Dreams wherein he encountered Zemouregal, who threatened Arrav and his town of Avarrocka. In fright he consulted with the Elders of Avarrocka, who came to the conclusion that the encounter was a bad omen and Arrav could not remain in Avarrocka. It was at this time that the eldest of the elders who recounted a tale from his youth of a fabulous shield, a shield that did not belong to this world and whose whereabouts was unknown. Thus the elders concocted an impossible quest to find the shield and sent Arrav away.
Arrav had travelled far, eventually coming across the Imcando dwarves. The Imcando refused to give Arrav the shield at first, it wasn't until Avarrocka was seiged by the Mahjarrat when Arrav was forced to return to the Imcando to seek the shield that they agreed to give the shield to Arrav.
During his final battle with the undead minions of Zemouregal, Arrav realised that he would not be able to defeat Zemouregal. He threw the shield towards a burning building, in hope that someone else might use its powers, before succumbing to Zemouregal's attacks. The shield was picked up by the 16-year-old grandson of the eldest elder of Avarrocka, who then used it to defeat Zemouregal's zombies.
Shield of Arrav[edit | edit source]
For 150 years, the Shield was the prized piece in the royal museum or Varrock, however in the year 143 of the Fifth Age the Phoenix Gang broke into the museum and stole the shield. The ruler at the time, King Roald II, placed a 1200 gold bounty for the return of the shield to no avail.
Sometime later, the members of the Phoenix Gang mutinied and branched off into a separate gang, the Black Arm Gang. During this process the shield was broken into two pieces, one piece remaining with the Phoenix Gang and the other with the Black Arm Gang.
References[edit | edit source]
- Jagex. "The Legend of Arrav, A Curse in the Land of Dreams." RuneScape Lores and Histories.
- Jagex. "The Legend of Arrav, A Meeting with the Imcando." RuneScape Lores and Histories.
- Jagex. "The Legend of Arrav, The Shield Given." RuneScape Lores and Histories.
- Jagex. "The Legend of Arrav, Arrav's Fate Fulfilled." RuneScape Lores and Histories.
- A R Wright, "Book (Shield of Arrav)", Old School RuneScape. "For over 150 years it was the prize piece in the royal museum of Varrock. However, in the year 143 of the fifth age a gang of thieves called the Phoenix Gang broke into the museum and stole the shield in a daring raid. As a result, the current ruler, King Roald, put a 1200 gold bounty (a massive sum of money in those days) on the return of the shield, hoping that one of the culprits would betray his fellows out of greed. This tactic did not work..."
- Straven, "Shield of Arrav", Old School RuneScape. "About five years ago we had a massive fight in our gang and the shield got broken in half during that fight. Shortly after the fight some gang members decided they didn't want to be part of our gang anymore. So they split off to form their own gang. The Black Arm Gang. On their way out they looted what treasures they could from us - which included one of the halves of the shield. We've been rivals with the Black Arms ever since."