|Released||6 January 2014 (Update)|
|Examine||You don't want to wear it inside-out.|
|High alch||24,000 coins|
|Low alch||16,000 coins|
A slayer helmet is a piece of headgear made by combining various pieces of slayer equipment. The helmet can be created by players with level 55 Crafting (boosts work) and who have unlocked the "Malevolent masquerade" ability for 400 slayer reward points. It requires 10 Defence to equip. Despite the helmet requiring a nose peg, which requires 60 Slayer to equip, the slayer helmet requires no particular Slayer level to wear.
When worn on a Slayer assignment, the helmet provides the Melee boost of 16.67% (from the black mask used to make it) against slayer tasks. This does not stack with the boosts given by the Salve amulet or its enhanced/imbued variants against undead Slayer assignments. The helmet can be imbued through the Nightmare Zone to provide a boost to Ranged and Magic as well, as detailed below.
When killed by another player, and the helmet is not one of the items protected on death, the slayer helmet is converted to a black mask and dropped for that player. It does not drop coins and leave the owner with a broken slayer helmet, like other untradeable gear would do (see Death#Items for such items).
Assembling the helmet[edit | edit source]
The items used to assemble the Slayer helmet are:
- A black mask, which provides a 16.67% boost to Melee damage and accuracy against the player's current Slayer assignment. Note that if a black mask with charges is used to make a Slayer helmet, the mask will lose all of its charges.
- A pair of earmuffs, which deafens the screams of banshees.
- A facemask, which allows the player to breathe in the Smoke Dungeon and Smoke Devil Dungeon.
- A nose peg, which blocks the stench of aberrant spectres.
- A spiny helmet, which protects the player from wall beasts when traversing the Lumbridge Swamp Caves.
- An enchanted gem, which allows the player to contact their Slayer master to ask for tips or check their kills on their assignment. Players can right click the helmet to get the same options as right-clicking an enchanted gem, including checking their task progress and their Slayer monster kill log. An eternal gem cannot be used.
The Slayer helmet can also be disassembled with a right-click option, turning it back into its component items. It can be reassembled at any time by using any of the components on each other.
Slayer helmet vs. Salve amulet[edit | edit source]
For players with undead Slayer assignments, the boosts given by the Salve amulet or Salve amulet (e) do not stack with the effects of a Slayer helmet. If a player owns the Salve amulet (e) or (ei), it may be worth it to switch to a better helmet and wear the amulet instead, since the amulet gives 20% accuracy and damage bonus, as opposed to the 16.67% Melee and 15% Magic and Ranged boosts the helmet grants.
However, this 3.33 - 5% margin from the Salve amulet may be less damage overall than if the player were to wear a different amulet with the Slayer helmet, as most helmets provide less offensive bonuses than comparable amulets. For example, the amulet of torture provides +10 Strength bonus, whereas a helm of neitiznot only provides +3. Overall, the Torture + Slayer helmet combination provides more damage output than a Neitiznot helmet and Salve amulet. This is also the case for the amulets of fury and glory, as well as the necklace of anguish and occult necklace for Ranged and Magic.
On the other hand, the Salve Amulet (e) and (ei) do stack with void. This means that at above certain levels, Void + Salve has a greater damage output than Slayer Helm + Torture/Occult/Anguish at places such as Ankous or Vorkath. This is not practical for Aberrant Spectres though, which will decimate anyone not wearing a nose peg or Slayer Helm.
Upgrading[edit | edit source]
At the cost of 1,250,000 Nightmare Zone reward points, the Slayer helmet can be upgraded to a Slayer helmet (i), adding a 15% damage boost to both Magic and Ranged. The Slayer helmet (i) also has a +10 magic defence bonus, a +3 magic attack bonus and a +3 ranged attack bonus.
Upon completion of the hard Kourend & Kebos Diary, players can speak to Captain Cleive to teach them how to use a Slayer helmet in place of a Shayzien helm when fighting lizardman shamans. The player must have obtained the Shayzien helm (5) before being able to do it.
With 1,000 slayer reward points, the player can learn how to recolour the helmet (or its imbued variant) by using certain special items on it. Each recolour ability is purchased separately, meaning 6,000 slayer reward points are required to fully access all the recolours, provided the player has the items readily available. Players can disassemble the recoloured helmet to retrieve the items back. All recolours have the same stats and bonuses as the original Slayer helmet and are thus purely cosmetic.
The items that can be combined are as follows:
|Unlock name||Upgraded items||Required item|
|King black bonnet||Black slayer helmet||Kbd heads|
|Kalphite khat||Green slayer helmet||Kq head|
|Unholy helmet||Red slayer helmet||Abyssal head|
|Dark Mantle||Purple slayer helmet||Dark claw|
|Undead Head||Turquoise slayer helmet||Vorkath's head|
|Use more head||Hydra slayer helmet||Alchemical hydra heads|
Treasure Trails[edit | edit source]
- The slayer helmet is needed for a master emote clue, where a player must perform the Raspberry emote together with the following item(s): dragon battleaxe, dragon defender
Changes[edit | edit source]
|20 February 2014
|The slayer helm's chathead model has had a green tint removed from its jaw.|
|16 January 2014
|The slayer helm's alchemy value has been increased slightly to make it more likely to be protected on death.|
|13 September 2018
(update | poll)
|The slayer helm received a graphical update.|
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The slayer helmet was the first item to conform (either by remodelling or conversion [unclear from source]) to the Old School model format (from a later undefined format) and to be introduced to the game.
References[edit | edit source]
|Purchased from Slayer Equipment||
|Purchased with Slayer reward points|