|Released||7 September 2017 (Update)|
|Examine||Has issues with odontophobia.|
|Max hit||9 (Melee)|
50+ (Icy breath)
|Attack style||Slash, Ranged, Icy breath|
|Slayer XP||205 xp|
|Category||Fossil Island Wyverns|
|Not immune to poison||Not immune to venom|
Spitting wyverns are Slayer monsters that require a Slayer level of 66 in order to be harmed. They reside in the Wyvern Cave on Fossil Island and are the weakest of the Fossil Island wyverns. Like with other Wyverns, an elemental, mind, dragonfire ward, dragonfire or ancient wyvern shield provides significant protection against their icy breath. These monsters require completion of the Bone Voyage quest to be assigned as a Slayer task. Additionally, players can benefit from using dragonbane weapons to deal additional dps.
Unlike their skeletal variant, spitting wyverns can use their icy breath from any distance. They will use Ranged when attacking from a distance, and will not try to use melee unless the target is in melee range. Their Ranged attack is weak; however, it may hit the player multiple times if it is a successful hit.
Spitting wyverns are the weakest of the Fossil Island wyverns, deal relatively low damage, and have a similar drop table to their taloned and long-tailed counterparts. As such, they are often the optimal choice when players are assigned a Fossil Island wyvern Slayer task.
Locations[edit | edit source]
There are two different wyvern caves - one where players can freely slay them, and one for those that have been assigned a Slayer task of Fossil Island wyverns. The task-only cave is reached via the trapdoor found in the Mushroom Forest, and the regular cave is found south of the Museum Camp. If a player attempts to attack the wyverns in the northern cave without a Fossil Island wyvern Slayer task, Weve (Steve's son) will stop them from doing so.
Drops[edit | edit source]
Drop rates estimated based on 95,043 kills from the Drop Rate Project, unless otherwise cited.
The average Spitting Wyvern kill is worth 9,110.11.
The average Spitting Wyvern kill while on a Konar task is worth 10,348.43.
100%[edit | edit source]
Weapons and armour[edit | edit source]
|Adamant full helm||1||2/122||1,822||2,112|
Runes and ammunition[edit | edit source]
Herbs[edit | edit source]
|Grimy kwuarm||2 (noted)||1/43.7||2,754||24|
|Grimy cadantine||2 (noted)||1/54.7||2,700||26|
|Grimy dwarf weed||2 (noted)||1/54.7||1,424||28|
|Grimy lantadyme||2 (noted)||1/72.9||2,360||26|
|Grimy ranarr weed||1||2/123||7,357||18|
Seeds[edit | edit source]
There is a 1/123 chance of rolling the tree-herb seed drop table.
|Papaya tree seed||1||1/2,196.4||1,804||69|
|Palm tree seed||1||1/3,075||29,113||152|
|Spirit seed||1||1/3,843.8||Not sold||0|
|Dragonfruit tree seed||1||1/5,125||177,581||258|
|Redwood tree seed||1||1/7,687.5||29,056||390|
Resources[edit | edit source]
|Pure essence||150 (noted)||8/123||150||300|
|Adamantite bar||2–4 (noted)||6/123||3,668–7,336||768–1,536|
|Teak logs||35 (noted)||6/123||4,725||630|
|Snape grass||10–15 (noted)||3/123||2,870–4,305||60–90|
|Runite ore||1–2 (noted)||3/123||11,016–22,032||1,920–3,840|
Other[edit | edit source]
|Adamant crossbow (u)||1||2/123||1,059||1,039|
Tertiary[edit | edit source]
|Unidentified small fossil||1||1/35||Not sold||60|
|Unidentified medium fossil||1||1/70||Not sold||120|
|Unidentified large fossil||1||1/87.5||Not sold||180|
|Unidentified rare fossil||1||1/350||Not sold||750|
|Brimstone key||1||1/73[d 1]||Not sold||N/A|
|Clue scroll (hard)||1||1/118[d 2]||Not sold||12|
Changes[edit | edit source]
|12 July 2018
(update | poll)
Spitting wyverns now drop a maximum of 12 seaweed spores instead of 6.
|18 January 2018
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Odontophobia, mentioned in the spitting wyvern's examine text, is the fear of dentistry.
- They appear to use all attack styles when using melee, depending on the animation they use: slashing when they use their talons, stabbing when they jab with their tail and crushing when they bite the target.
References[edit | edit source]
- Jagex. Mod Maz's Twitter account. 24 October 2017. (Archived from the original on 25 March 2019.) Mod Maz: "Fossil Island info! Granite LS/boots drop rates. From ancient: 1/600 each From normal: LS 1/512 Boots 1/2560"
- Jagex. Mod Maz's Twitter account. 9 October 2017. (Archived from the original on 9 July 2019.) Mod Maz: "Fossil probabilities!"
- Jagex. Mod Tide's Twitter account. 24 May 2019. (Archived from the original on 24 May 2019.) Mod Tide: "I know its been a while since the clue expansion but here is the information on clue scroll drop rates and loot chances! If anything changes I will keep you posted."
- Jagex. Mod Maz's Twitter account. 9 October 2017. (Archived from the original on 25 March 2019.) Mod Maz: "Wyvern Visage is 1/12k for normals and 1/10k for ancients."