|Release dates||24 February 2021|
|Platforms||Windows 7 or higher|
The Steam client is an official client to play Old School RuneScape, which is written in C++ rather than the standalone client, which is written in Java. The client became available on Steam on 7 December 2020 through closed beta for those players that registered their interest. The client was released for all players on 24 February 2021.
Comparison with the Java Client[edit | edit source]
There are several differences between the Steam client of the game and the standalone Java Client, including:
- The Steam client runs at an uncapped frame rate. The client's FPS matches the monitor's refresh rate (known as VSync). As a result, the game looks smoother and feels more responsive.
- Utilisation of GPU, resulting in greatly enhanced performance.
- Authentication is performed using the user's Steam account, which is linked to their RuneScape account.
- Integration with core Steam social features such as achievements.
- The Steam Client currently only supports Windows.
- Numerous settings and Quality of Life features exclusive to the client.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Official requirement listed on https://store.steampowered.com/app/1343370/Old_School_RuneScape/. In practice, 1GB of RAM is sufficient for normal gameplay, although this does not come with any performance guarantees.
See also[edit | edit source]
- Update:Steam Beta Announcement
- Update:New Client Features: Milestone 1
- Update:New Client Features: Milestone 2