The Steam client is an official client to play Old School RuneScape, which is written in C++ rather than the standalone client, which is written in Java. The client became available on Steam on 7 December 2020 through closed beta for those players that registered their interest. The client was released for all players on 24 February 2021.
Comparison with the Java Game Client[edit | edit source]
There are several differences between the Steam client of the game and the standalone Java client, including:
- The Steam client runs at an uncapped frame rate. The client's FPS matches the monitor's refresh rate (known as vsync). As a result, the game looks smoother and feels more responsive.
- Increased support and tailored performance for more GPUs, including more modern GPUs.
- Authentication is performed using the user's Steam account, which is linked to their RuneScape account.
- Integration with core Steam social features such as achievements.
- The Steam Client currently only supports Windows.
See also[edit | edit source]