Superior slayer monster
Superior Slayer monsters are more powerful versions of normal Slayer monsters that have a 1/200 chance to spawn upon the death of one of its normal counterparts. After claiming the elite tier rewards from the Combat Achievements system, the chances of a superior slayer monster appearing is increased to 1/150.
They can be encountered after purchasing the unlock Bigger and Badder for 150 Slayer reward points from any Slayer master, and will only occur while on a Slayer task. This can be toggled on and off afterwards without loss of points.
Superior creatures that are larger than their normal counterparts can only spawn if the death of the normal monster occurs in a location that can fit the superior creature. In order to appear, a superior creature must be able to fit either its centre tile or one of its corner tiles on the south-western tile of the dying creature, while remaining unobstructed by scenery objects elsewhere. In situations where multiple players have attacked the same creature, a superior can spawn for any player that has received partial kill credit, meaning they either dealt the most damage or dealt the last hit.
When a superior Slayer monster spawns, a message will appear in the chatbox, stating "A superior foe has appeared..." Killing a superior Slayer monster will reward players with a generous amount of Slayer experience — for most, but not all of them, this is about ten times the Hitpoints of the superior monster. This experience will even be granted if the superior monster is slain after the completion of the corresponding Slayer task. When a superior Slayer monster has been spawned for a player, other players will not be able to attack it.
Once a superior Slayer monster has spawned it is only attackable by the spawning player. A superior monster will despawn in two minutes if the player stays in the vicinity and does not attack it, or less than 30 seconds if they leave the area. Should the player die while fighting it or teleport away, the monster will despawn soon after.
In addition, once one has appeared, another one will not spawn for that player until it is killed or despawns. In single combat areas, a superior Slayer monster can be attacked even if the player is under attack by another monster; when this happens, the standard monster will stop attacking the player. In multicombat areas, it is possible for multiple superior slayer monsters to appear simultaneously if multiple monsters are killed at the same time.
Drops[edit | edit source]
Superior Slayer monsters kills give three rolls on their lesser counterpart's drop table. Alongside this, they have other guaranteed drops:
- An ensouled head (if applicable)
- Larran's key (in the Wilderness Slayer Cave)
- Wilderness tertiary drops (in the Wilderness Slayer Cave)
- A dark totem piece (in the Catacombs of Kourend)
- A crystal shard (in the Iorwerth Dungeon)
Players are also ten times more likely to receive a clue scroll from killing one. In addition, superior Slayer monsters have four unique drops shared among all superior Slayer monsters:
- Imbued heart, which boosts the player's Magic level by 1 + 10% of your Magic level every seven minutes.
- Dust battlestaff, which when equipped provides an infinite amount of air and earth runes.
- Mist battlestaff, which when equipped provides an infinite amount of air and water runes.
- Eternal gem, which can be crafted into a Slayer ring (eternal).
Drop rate[edit | edit source]
The chance of rolling either of the two unique drop tables (UDT) is
The first UDT contains the imbued heart, dust battlestaff and mist battlestaff. The second UDT contains only the eternal gem.
If the players rolls the first unique drop table, there is then a 1/8 chance of receiving an imbued heart, and a 7/16 chance each of receiving one of the battlestaves. If the player rolls the second unique drop table, there is a 1/8 chance of receiving an eternal gem, and a 7/8 chance of receiving nothing. 
Thus, the formula of receiving any unique drop is
The formula of receiving an imbued heart or eternal gem is
And the formula of receiving a dust or mist battlestaff is
Monsters[edit | edit source]
There are superior versions of the following monsters:
|Normal variant||Superior variant||Image||Combat
|Available in Wilderness||UDT||Slayer XP|
|5||Crawling Hand||Crushing hand||45||55||No||No||1/171.2||550|
|10||Cave crawler||Chasm Crawler||68||64||No||No||1/166.2||600|
|15||Twisted Banshee||Screaming twisted banshee||144||220||No||No||1/160.8||2200|
|20||Rock slug||Giant rockslug||86||77||No||No||1/155||770|
|45||Infernal Mage||Malevolent Mage||162||172||No||No||1/120||1750|
|50||Mutated Bloodveld||Insatiable mutated Bloodveld||278||411||No||No||1/111.8||4100|
|52||Warped Jelly||Vitreous warped Jelly||241||220||No||No||1/108.4||2200|
|58||Cave horror||Cave abomination||206||130||No||No||1/97.8||1300|
|60||Aberrant spectre||Abhorrent spectre||253||275||No||No||1/94.2||2500|
|60||Deviant spectre||Repugnant spectre||335||390||No||No||1/94.2||4085|
|60||Basilisk Knight||Basilisk Sentinel||358||550||Yes||No||1/94.2||5590|
|65||Dust devil||Choke devil||264||300||No||Yes||1/84.8||3000|
|85||Abyssal demon||Greater abyssal demon||342||400||Yes||Yes||1/43.2||4200|
|90||Dark beast||Night beast||374||640||Yes||No||1/31.8||6462|
|93||Smoke devil||Nuclear smoke devil||280||240||No||No||1/24.7||2400|
Changes[edit | edit source]
|23 July 2020
Superior variants of Drakes, Hydras, Turoths & Wyrms were added.
|23 February 2017
All superior creatures except Marble Gargoyle were graphically updated to be more distinct from their normal counterparts.
|15 September 2016
Superior slayer encounters were added to the game.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- While the revenant maledictus is referred to as a superior revenant, it is not a Slayer monster.
References[edit | edit source]
- ^ Jagex. Mod Ash's Twitter account. 19 October 2016. Archived from the original on 4 October 2018.
- ^ Jagex. Mod Ash's Twitter account. 26 August 2021. Archived from the original on 6 September 2021. Mod Ash: "The thing ain't going to be spawned into scenery if we can avoid it."
- ^ Jagex. Mod Ash's Twitter account. 28 July 2022. Archived from the original on 2 June 2023. Mod Ash: "It should consider whether the superior could have its centre, SW corner, SE corner, NW corner or NE corner at the tile of the dying dust devil. (...)"
- ^ Jagex. Mod Ash's Twitter account. 3 July 2020. Archived from the original on 3 June 2023. Mod Ash: "No, I mean that it looks at the SW corner of the NPC that died, and first tries to centre the superior on that. (...)"
- ^ Jagex. Mod Ash's Twitter account. 26 January 2023. Archived from the original on 6 June 2023. Mod Ash: "It's not checking for full credit - dealing the final hit should suffice, if you're getting the 50% XP for that. It may struggle to find space to spawn one, if it's a big monster in a cluttered environment, though."
- ^ Jagex. Mod Ash's Twitter account. 25 October 2018. Archived from the original on 3 October 2019. Mod Ash: "They disappear after 2 mins if you stay there ignoring them, or after 30 secs if they notice you've departed or logged out. [...] P.S. I should clarify the 30 secs thing - I mean that it checks every 30 secs, so if you departed shortly before that tick occurs, the creature would despawn much sooner. It's a bit like farming ticks."
- ^ Jagex. Mod Kieren's Twitter account. 20 October 2016. Archived from the original on 4 October 2018. Mod Kieren: "Superior Slayer unique drop rates are finally here! "
- ^ Jagex. Mod Ash's Twitter account. 28 May 2020. Archived from the original on 28 May 2020. Mod Ash: "I still think they're the same, despite that. There are two unique tables. You have a 1/X chance of getting the table containing the heart (1/8), mist staff (7/16) & dust staff (7/16). You have a 1/X chance of getting the table containing the gem (1/8) and nothing (7/8)."