|Released||1 September 2016 (Update)|
|Don't be hasty.|
|FAQ • doc|
The tangleroot is a skilling pet that can be obtained when checking the health and harvesting the final crops of any fully grown farming patch. It can also be obtained while playing the Tithe Farm minigame. The chances of getting it are dependent on the player's Farming level, and the produce the player is harvesting. It may also be obtained from killing the Hespori.
When a player receives the pet, it will automatically try to appear as their follower. At the same time, a red message in the chatbox will state You have a funny feeling like you're being followed.
However, if a player receives a pet while having a follower out (for example, a cat), it will be placed into their inventory. When this occurs, the message in the chatbox will instead state You feel something weird sneaking into your backpack. If a players inventory is full and they have a follower already, they will not receive the pet.
On death, if a player loses their pet (as a follower or in your inventory) it will wander around for 30 seconds before disappearing completely.
Drop rates[edit | edit source]
Shown below are the base chances of receiving Tangleroot. The pet chance is rolled only when checking the plant's health for applicable produce (such as trees and bushes). If the plant does not have an option to check health (such as herbs), it is instead rolled during the final harvest of a crop.
A player's actual chances of receiving it is 1 in B - (Lvl * 25), where B is the base chance and Lvl is the player's Farming level.
The fastest method on average to receive Tangleroot is by frequently farming cacti, belladonna, giant seaweed and mushrooms, as well as doing regular tree runs. Although using only trees takes the least amount of time spent on Farming (thus being more efficient), it is extremely slow in real time, taking upwards of two years on average with daily tree runs.
|Allotment||Base chance||Hops||Base chance|
|Tree||Base chance||Flowers||Base chance|
|Maple tree||14,052||Woad leaf||281,040|
|Yew tree||11,242||Limpwurt root||224,832|
|Fruit trees||9,000||White lily||281,040|
|Berries||Base chance||Misc. produce||Base chance|
|Cadava berries||37,472||Giant seaweed||7,500|
|Poison ivy berries||28,104||Potato cactus||160,594|
Dialogue[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Although Tangleroot is obtainable from Tithe Farm, it is extremely unlikely; in terms of probability, it would take nearly 3 billion Farming experience on average, equivalent to 25,000 hours of playing.
- The pet is likely a reference to the Tanglefoot, fought during Fairytale I - Growing Pains, and Groot, a character from Marvel Comics. Groot is a talking tree in Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy film, who is only capable of saying "I am Groot." or "We are Groot".
- The examine text is a reference to the line said by the ent Treebeard in The Lord of the Rings.
References[edit | edit source]
- Jagex. Mod Kieren's Twitter account. 26 September 2016. Mod Kieren: "Well here you go! FARMING SKILL PET RATES! Enjoy :) Thanks to @ROBBOsickdog for persuading me. " NOTE: The Hops drop rates in the image are incorrect; this was corrected in the next cited tweet.
- Jagex. Mod Kieren's Twitter account. 14 October 2016. Mod Kieren: "Barley - 112416, Asgarnian - 89933, Jute - 89933, Yanillian - 74944, Krandorian - 64238, Wildblood - 56208. Sorry for getting em wrong! :(" NOTE: The hammerstone hops drop rate is missing here; the source for the drop rate is found in the next cited tweet.
- Jagex. Mod Ash's Twitter account. 15 February 2017. Mod Ash: "[@JagexKieren forgot to correct the base chance for hammer stone hops. Any chance you could look that one up? :)] 112,416 I think."
- Jagex. Mod Maz's Twitter account. 9 October 2017. Mod Maz: "Hardwood trees have the same chance as a Spirit tree to give you the pet."
- Jagex. Mod Ash's Twitter account. 16 May 2018. Mod Ash: "[@JagexAsh On the Q&A two weeks ago it was stated farming giant seaweed would give the chance of receiving tangleroot. Is it possible to find out the base chance of that?] 7500."