The Great Battle was a conflict fought in the Year 98 of the Fifth Age.
The battle occurred at the Outpost north of Ardougne, between a small number of Zamorakian and Saradominist forces. The Zamorakians, amongst whom former Ardougnese citizens such as Drozal, had terrorised Ardougne for some time, their attacks causing the "Dreaded Years of Tragedy".
Ultimately, neither side was victorious, and the only survivors were the leaders of each side, men who had been former companions. Both agreeing to follow Guthix, one went on to become the founder of Ardougne market and the other became the first king in the Ardignas line, which continues today under the rules of King Lathas and King Tyras.
- The large display on 1st floor[UK]2nd floor[US] of the Outpost incorrectly states that the battle occurred 68 years after the start of the Fifth Age rather than 68 years after the construction of the Outpost.
- ↑ Player character, Old School RuneScape. "Indeed, it turns out that there was a big battle in the year 98 of the 5th Age." The player says this while talking to Historian Minas after the completion of Making History.
- ↑ Drozal's Journal, page 8, Old School RuneScape. "We have been told to ‘beware for your days are numbered’ by the people of Ardougne. It seems the city has asked for some external help, which will be upon us some time soon. I’m sure we will eliminate such a threat though."
- ↑ The History of the Outpost, page 4, Old School RuneScape. "The Zamorakians’ only purpose seemed to be the disruption of the nearby city of Ardougne, over the years now known as the “The Dreaded Years of Tragedy’."
- ↑ The History of the Outpost, page 7, Old School RuneScape. "The battle produced two survivors – the two ex-friends, both being the most powerful mages."
- ↑ The History of the Outpost, page 8, Old School RuneScape. "Settling for the neutral god Guthix, the two went about their ways to spread equality among the people. One of the friends became king, to listen to the people’s views and ensure a fair and equal life for everyone, whilst the other friend founded the market place, allowing people to trade their skills and wares under equal rights and opportunities."
- ↑ Jorral, Old School RuneScape. "We know that one of these friends became King, and was the Great Grandfather of the current king, and that the other established the market place."